TopBilled

Sally Field as Essentials co-host

85 posts in this topic

http://www.examiner.com/article/sally-field-chosen-as-new-tcm-essentials-co-host

She "auditioned" for this role a few years ago. The very first night I ever watched TCM, in July 2008, Sally was the guest programmer. So she and Robert have discussed films on TCM before. I remember being impressed with her selections that evening, and in particular, her remarks about THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK.

I am looking forward to her run as an Essentials co-host.  Viva Sally & Robert!

Can't wait till the lineup for the new season is unveiled...

• Like 3

We already know the first four films that are going to air next season: ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953) on March 7, THE MORE THE MERRIER (1943) on March 14, NOW, VOYAGER (1942) on March 21, and THE PRISONER OF ZENDA (1937) on March 28.

If that's any indicator of what's to come, the next year should be a welcome relief from some less-than-stellar Saturday night programming on TCM in recent months.

• Like 1

We already know the first four films that are going to air next season: ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953) on March 7, THE MORE THE MERRIER (1943) on March 14, NOW, VOYAGER (1942) on March 21, and THE PRISONER OF ZENDA (1937) on March 28.

If that's any indicator of what's to come, the next year should be a welcome relief from some less-than-stellar Saturday night programming on TCM in recent months.

While I love all of these films I have seen them all,  many,  many times.    But I shouldn't expect otherwise with The Essentials; 

Since I have been a fan of studio-era movies for decades,  I guess I have seen most movies a host would view as an 'essentials'.

NINOTCHKA (1939) will also air this coming season, according to this article from USA Today:

So based on the movies I have been told will be showing (at least so far),  other then THE PRISONER OF ZENDA,  there is a women's angle here: The main character in each movie is a women that is 'coming out'.     (Ok,  not so much with The More the Merrier,  but still the Arthur character was going to settle for someone that she wasn't head over heals with).

Not a knock on the choices here,  but I believe there is a theme.   

With the information from the March and April schedules, this is what we have so far...the lineup for Essentials with Sally Field:

March 7: ROMAN HOLIDAY

March 14: THE MORE THE MERRIER

March 21: NOW, VOYAGER

March 28: THE PRISONER OF ZENDA (1937)

April 4: WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION

April 11: ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE

April 18: THE HUSTLER

April 25: THE WIND

I expect we'll find out very soon what the schedule will be for next season. But I've filled in a few more gaps based on the preview aired after TWENTIETH CENTURY tonight. Based on what I saw, other Essentials for next season will include THE RED SHOES (1948), SUNSET BOULEVARD (1950), an ASTAIRE-ROGERS film (not sure which one), ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST (1975) and THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING (1975). Good variation there, and it's been some time since SUNSET BOULEVARD has shown up on TCM.

Also, KLUTE (1971) is the second half of a double bill with WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION (1957) on April 4.

Hopefully a few more films that we don't see so very often will also be included, but given current budgetary restraints, I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Like 1

I expect we'll find out very soon what the schedule will be for next season. But I've filled in a few more gaps based on the preview aired after TWENTIETH CENTURY tonight. Based on what I saw, other Essentials for next season will include THE RED SHOES (1948), SUNSET BOULEVARD (1950), an ASTAIRE-ROGERS film (not sure which one), ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST (1975) and THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING (1975). Good variation there, and it's been some time since SUNSET BOULEVARD has shown up on TCM.

Also, KLUTE (1971) is the second half of a double bill with WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION (1957) on April 4.

Hopefully a few more films that we don't see so very often will also be included, but given current budgetary restraints, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thanks for the updates. Glad to hear SUNSET BOULEVARD was chosen. It last aired on TCM a few years ago when Bob Newhart, a guest programmer, selected it. Though it has been turning up each month on the Retroplex channel.

I would like to see ALL ABOUT EVE featured as an Essential. Not sure if it ever made the cut with previous hosts.

Updated

With the information from the March, April and May schedules, this is what we have so far...the lineup for Essentials with Sally Field:

March 7: ROMAN HOLIDAY

March 14: THE MORE THE MERRIER

March 21: NOW, VOYAGER

March 28: THE PRISONER OF ZENDA (1937)

April 4: WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION

April 11: ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE

April 18: THE HUSTLER

April 25: THE WIND

May 2: NINOTCHKA

May 9: I REMEMBER MAMA

May 16: THE RED SHOES

May 23: FRIENDLY PERSUASION

May 30: TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

The full schedule is now available here: http://essentials.tcm.com/schedule.

There aren't too many surprises here, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. SUNSET BOULEVARD (1950) returns to TCM on December 5.

This also gives us a glimpse into five potential Summer Under the Stars honorees:

THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR (1947) kicks things off on August 1. Perhaps TCM will bow to the request of fans that George Sanders be honored in some way. But given Robert Osborne's stated preference of Gene Tierney, she seems to be the likelier choice.

EAST OF EDEN (1955) follows on August 8. Given the small filmographies of some of the film's major stars, I'd say Raymond Massey has a lock on this day.

THE PRISONER OF ZENDA (1937) is up next on August 15. This will definitely be Ronald Colman's day.

WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION (1957) airs on August 22. If I'm right and Gene Tierney is the honoree on August 1, then you can rule out Tyrone Power today. It's a toss-up, then, between Marlene Dietrich and Charles Laughton.

THE HUSTLER (1961) wraps up August's Essentials on the 29th. Jackie Gleason's filmography is a bit thin for a full-day salute. There's an outside shot at George C. Scott, but my guess is that they'll go with Paul Newman.

• Like 1

The full schedule is now available here: http://essentials.tcm.com/schedule.

There aren't too many surprises here, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. SUNSET BOULEVARD (1950) returns to TCM on December 5.

This also gives us a glimpse into five potential Summer Under the Stars honorees:

THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR (1947) kicks things off on August 1. Perhaps TCM will bow to the request of fans that George Sanders be honored in some way. But given Robert Osborne's stated preference of Gene Tierney, she seems to be the likelier choice.

EAST OF EDEN (1955) follows on August 8. Given the small filmographies of some of the film's major stars, I'd say Raymond Massey has a lock on this day.

THE PRISONER OF ZENDA (1937) is up next on August 15. This will definitely be Ronald Colman's day.

WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION (1957) airs on August 22. If I'm right and Gene Tierney is the honoree on August 1, then you can rule out Tyrone Power today. It's a toss-up, then, between Marlene Dietrich and Charles Laughton.

THE HUSTLER (1961) wraps up August's Essentials on the 29th. Jackie Gleason's filmography is a bit thin for a full-day salute. There's an outside shot at George C. Scott, but my guess is that they'll go with Paul Newman.

Good job. I hope it's not Tierney again, since she already had a SUTS tribute a few years ago. I think you're right about Raymond Massey, since he made so many films at Warners which are in the Turner Library. The 15th could be Douglas Fairbanks Jr., but I agree it will probably be Ronald Colman so they can squeeze some silent films into the schedule. Laughton was honored a few years ago, so I hope it's Dietrich instead. I think Newman is probably the choice for the 29th, but Gleason would be the one I'd pick.

Nice lineup this year. One movie that surprises me in particular is is FRIENDLY PERSUASION, since it was an Essential a few years ago. It's still a good film though.

It's also nice to see THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER is an essential too. Even though it's predictable in some aspects it's a sweet little film.

Nice lineup this year. One movie that surprises me in particular is is FRIENDLY PERSUASION, since it was an Essential a few years ago. It's still a good film though.

It's also nice to see THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER is an essential too. Even though it's predictable in some aspects it's a sweet little film.

Hi YoungFan. Welcome to the boards.

I think FRIENDLY PERSUASION is being repeated, because they needed an appropriate holiday title for Memorial Day weekend. They also picked I REMEMBER MAMA (in years past it has been STELLA DALLAS and MILDRED PIERCE) for the Saturday before Mother's Day. And there's always one horror title to air around Halloween-- this year, it's THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY. Plus we have YANKEE DOODLE DANDY for the fourth of July.

So in a way, some of their choices are limited by the holidays.

With The Flying Nun co-hosting the Essentials, is this going to be sort of a spiritual period for TCM?

The reruns have recently been shown -- appropriately on Sunday, on Antenna TV.

She looks about as girlish as she did wearing that Habit. Though it'd probably take a bit stiffer breeze these days to get her off the ground. Just kidding!

What a Saturday night treat.

• Like 1

With The Flying Nun co-hosting the Essentials, is this going to be sort of a spiritual period for TCM?

The reruns have recently been shown -- appropriately on Sunday, on Antenna TV.

She looks about as girlish as she did wearing that Habit. Though it'd probably take a bit stiffer breeze these days to get her off the ground. Just kidding!

What a Saturday night treat.

Fun post! Welcome to the message boards, douglas.

prior to Alec Baldwin, The Essentials co-host was on for a year. then, Alec and Drew Barrymore each had a three year run.

so, is Sally Field also set as a co-host for three years? is it part of a contract that guarantees three years? or does she have a one year deal with a couple of one year options?

what are the details of her co-hosting agreement?

prior to Alec Baldwin, The Essentials co-host was on for a year. then, Alec and Drew Barrymore each had a three year run.

so, is Sally Field also set as a co-host for three years? is it part of a contract that guarantees three years? or does she have a one year deal with a couple of one year options?

what are the details of her co-hosting agreement?

I think they do this one season at a time. It probably depends on several factors. Enjoy Sally while she's on, doing Essentials with Robert, since it may not be three years (maybe it will be longer than three years).

I think Sally is just great in these segments with Mr. Osborne.

Yes, I am certainly appreciating her co-hosting duties on this season's Essentials. She's a proverbial breath of fresh air the long-running series needed.

anyone sick of the airing of the inane conversation where Fields says she'd prefer living in a state mental institution (......Cuckoo's Nest) with Jack Nicholson to an eccentric actresses' mansion (Sunset Blvd,)

-like HUH? :blink:

• Like 3

I am very glad that Drew Barrymore's tenure as a co-host has finally ended.  Three years was too long to endure her empty bubble-headed commentary.  It was absolutely amazing:  despite her familial heritage and her own involvement in the movie business, she had next to NO knowledge and understanding of the history of films and of the mechanisms of movie-making.  She brought NOTHING to the series but vapid commentary about how someone "looked" in the film at hand, or about how a film made her "feel".  I learned nothing from her commentary, except the depth of her ignorance.  There were times that I would have bet money that Robert Osborn looked as if he were restraining himself from responding negatively to her stupidity and ignorance.

Miss Field is doing a great job, and, as did Alec Baldwin, makes intelligent contributions to the conversation with Mr. Osborn, and offers thoughtful points of view. 

An excellent decision by the folks at TCM.

• Like 1

I am very glad that Drew Barrymore's tenure as a co-host has finally ended.  Three years was too long to endure her empty bubble-headed commentary.  It was absolutely amazing:  despite her familial heritage and her own involvement in the movie business, she had next to NO knowledge and understanding of the history of films and of the mechanisms of movie-making.  She brought NOTHING to the series but vapid commentary about how someone "looked" in the film at hand, or about how a film made her "feel".  I learned nothing from her commentary, except the depth of her ignorance.  There were times that I would have bet money that Robert Osborn looked as if he were restraining himself from responding negatively to her stupidity and ignorance.

Miss Field is doing a great job, and, as did Alec Baldwin, makes intelligent contributions to the conversation with Mr. Osborn, and offers thoughtful points of view. 

An excellent decision by the folks at TCM.

Interesting that I came upon your post, because I was just thinking about this earlier today. I am so glad the Drew years are behind us. It was a low point in the Essentials series, that dragged on too painfully long. Though I am sure the folks at TCM probably don't think so. It was.