TopBilled

Sally Field as Essentials co-host

85 posts in this topic

Amen to AndreaDoria's (June 2015) response to Sally Field's "Essentials" commentary regarding "The Picture of Dorian Gray." This is MGM at its absolute finest, Hurd Hatfield's emotionally atonal performance is exactly what the title character demands. The exquisitely eiree ambiance of this film has never been matched. Bravo to Reverend Osborne for helping Sister Sally see the light on this one. It's as four star Essential as you could possibly hope for.

It seems like people are being a bit too hard on Sally. It's her first season as an Essentials co-host. She is not going to do the job perfectly, right out of the gate. 

If she does return for another year, it will be interesting to see what her other classic film choices will be.

But first, we have her discussing NORMA RAE as an Essential next week-- Saturday November 7th-- and that should be a very good evening on TCM.

Here's an interesting item: http://zap2it.com/2015/11/sally-field-not-comfortable-talking-norma-rae-tcm/.

So, it sounds as though Robert Osborne and the TCM programmers insisted on including NORMA RAE as an Essential while Sally is co-hosting, and she acquiesced.

If Sally ends up doing three years on The Essentials like Alec and Drew, I could see the programmers wanting to include one of Field's own films each year -- in much the same way that at least one John Barrymore film was included on the schedule during each year of Drew's time as co-host. So don't be surprised if PLACES IN THE HEART airs as an Essential in 2016. Having said that, Field may be more comfortable discussing a film like STEEL MAGNOLIAS, which is more of an ensemble piece, or MURPHY'S ROMANCE, which could more reasonably be called a James Garner movie than a Sally Field film.

• Like 2

Here's an interesting item: http://zap2it.com/2015/11/sally-field-not-comfortable-talking-norma-rae-tcm/.

So, it sounds as though Robert Osborne and the TCM programmers insisted on including NORMA RAE as an Essential while Sally is co-hosting, and she acquiesced.

If Sally ends up doing three years on The Essentials like Alec and Drew, I could see the programmers wanting to include one of Field's own films each year -- in much the same way that at least one John Barrymore film was included on the schedule during each year of Drew's time as co-host. So don't be surprised if PLACES IN THE HEART airs as an Essential in 2016. Having said that, Field may be more comfortable discussing a film like STEEL MAGNOLIAS, which is more of an ensemble piece, or MURPHY'S ROMANCE, which could more reasonably be called a James Garner movie than a Sally Field film.

Yes, I think this is the discernible pattern with the hosts. And I am sure she'll be back for at least a second season. From what I've read, she had a lot of fun filming MURPHY'S ROMANCE so she'd probably be open to discussing that film. But I think PLACES IN THE HEART would be chosen first. If we see it on the February schedule (during the 31 Days of Oscar) then we can likely assume it will be back for Essentials along with Sally.

Even as a very strong feminist myself, I've found some of Sally's comments sort of off-putting. How can you apply TODAY'S standards to films made years ago? And of course, Jacqueline positively shone in everything she was in.

I like Sally a lot, and I would like to see her continue as co-host.

But I keep my TV remote control unit handy so I can mute the sound when anyone gets off on a political topic or when any multi-millionaire starts whining about how “tough” life is.

Don’t they know that life is “tough” for everyone, and most of us are not lucky enough to be multi-millionaires? Many of us movie buffs would like to work in the movie business but no one wants us because they’ve already got all the people they need? So my clicker goes to mute whenever I hear a multi-millionaire start to whine about how "un-fair" life is.

Robert Osborne announced during the TCM Classic cruise that Sally will be back in 2016 for another season of The Essentials.

Yes, I think most of us already knew this. But thanks for confirming it.

There had been no announcement to the contrary, and if you look at the schedule for February STEEL MAGNOLIAS and HOOPER are listed...so I am sure MAGNOLIAS will be an Essential, which Sally will introduce next season like she did this year with NORMA RAE. Sort of a no-brainer.

Yes, I think most of us already knew this. But thanks for confirming it.

There had been no announcement to the contrary, and if you look at the schedule for February STEEL MAGNOLIAS and HOOPER are listed...so I am sure MAGNOLIAS will be an Essential, which Sally will introduce next season like she did this year with NORMA RAE. Sort of a no-brainer.

The programmers may surprise us yet by scheduling another Sally Field film as Essential next year, rather than STEEL MAGNOLIAS. Last year, for example, ABSENCE OF MALICE aired during 31 Days of Oscar but then it was NORMA RAE which was aired on The Essentials.

The programmers may surprise us yet by scheduling another Sally Field film as Essential next year, rather than STEEL MAGNOLIAS. Last year, for example, ABSENCE OF MALICE aired during 31 Days of Oscar but then it was NORMA RAE which was aired on The Essentials.

STEEL MAGNOLIAS is one of her trademark films and it will draw a huge audience-- so they will definitely repeat it as an Essential, plus if they have Shirley MacLaine in August as a Summer Under the Stars honoree, they can rerun it again.

I also think that Sally will be back for a third season (like Alec and Drew)...and for her third season as co-host, they will have PLACES IN THE HEART as an Essential for her to introduce. And it will be on the 31 Days of Oscar schedule in 2017.

Another reason I believe STEEL MAGNOLIAS will be an Essential this year is because it would work perfectly for Mother's Day, and they always have a big Mother's Day movie to air for Essentials that weekend.