Sign in to follow this  
bhryun

What was the first movie you remember watching?

34 posts in this topic

The very first movie I remember watching was the black and white version of "Black Beauty," way back in 1952ish. I remember I was sick and my mother had put me on the couch in front of the television set, which was a large square box sitting on a table, with a small, round screen. I was totally fascinated and hooked ever more on movies.

nebulatwstd, we had this subject not that long ago. The thread is floating on the boards somewhere.

Mongo

Thank you for the heads up. I'm new to this site. However, I don't see the harm in asking the question again.

I'm new here too, eep. The first classic film I remember atching is "Gone With The Wind", when I was in the sixth grade. I can't recall the first actual film I watched though, it was probably something horrid like a Barney film or sorts.

Being one who was raised watching classic films, it would be hard to tell which one was the first I saw. But I've been thinking, it the first classic film I watched would've probably been "Moby Dick" with Gregory Peck.

My brother watched "Moby Dick" every single day, and I'm not joking. Every single day. To this day he still loves it and finally went ahead and bought it on DVD. He's a huge Gregory Peck fan.

I was five and Disney re-released "Sleeping Beauty." My Gran took me to see it and I was totally hooked. I wanted to talk to birds and animals and live in the forest with faeries in the worst way...LOL After that, I think it was probably one of the "Herbie" movies at the drive in.

LOL! "The Wizard of July" -- I'm picturing a Playboy centerfold for wizards, with a new one each month. Thanks for the laugh!

The first movie I remember seeing was "Oklahoma." In those days all TV and most movies were B&W. I was only about 6 years old, but I remember sitting in the dark theatre, enchanted by the bright colors up there on the movie screen and the wonderful songs. The "Jud Fry is Dead" number frightened me, though, because it was dark and scary.

What a fun thread!

I have vague memories of seeing a lot of the Disney films in the movies when I was growing up.

Believe it or not, though, one of the first films I ever saw that made a tremendous impression on me was Dark Victory - and not the whole movie! Just part 1! I remember asking my mother what happened in Part 2, which I think fell on a school day, or I had been home sick and went to school the next day.

lets see now it was "the jungle book" you know the disney one with baloo the bear...any way it was small town and i was about 7 and told my parents that i want to go all by myself to see it now here me sitting in gym where they are showing it i knew everyone there but to me i was all by myself.

lets see now it was "the jungle book" you know the disney one with baloo the bear...any way it was small town and i was about 7 and told my parents that i want to go all by myself to see it now here me sitting in gym where they are showing it i knew everyone there but to me i was all by myself. that day i became a man ....im 46 now

The first movie I remember seeing, was the musical " Peter Pan " with Mary Martin. I guess that's because it had such an impact on me. It was more like a play than a movie but I love it so much. I have the video and I still watch it sometimes.

Six years old and bio-dad took me to see "To Kill a Mockingbird". The ending stayed with me. Didn't realize it until I saw the movie again when I was twelve.

"Dumbo" is the second movie I remember seeing because of the mad elephant sequence.

"Old Yeller", too.

The first movie I really remember seeing in the theater was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I love that movie!

"Charley and the Angel" (1973), a Disney film starring Fred MacMurray & Harry Morgan.

That's the first movie I remember seeing at a theater (the old Arcade Theater, downtown Paducah, KY).

The first movie I remember was Snoopy Come Home, at a drive-in. What made it so memorable was that I had to pee and rather than take me to the bathroom, my father dumped out his soda and told me to go in the cup. Somehow it ended up all over the windshield and dashboard.

The first movie I saw was "Uncle Tom's Cabin" at the SkyView Drive In in Lexington KY sometime in the late 1940's. I was about 5 years old at the time. Can't remember much of it except Eliza crossing the river on blocks of ice, and Little Eva dying.

The Wizard of Oz on TV. At a movie theater, probably the re-release of Disney's Sleeping Beauty. I was about 4 and VERY impressed.

And I remember seeing the first Herbie the Love Bug at a drive in. Don't know wether it was the first run or not, but it was a big thrill to see it in my PJ's.

I don't remember...but my mom told me my first movie was "Bridge On the River Kwai". My parents had gone to the drive in to see this, and I guess I cried through the movie till the last 10 mins. My dad said he still can't watch it because he hears me crying!!! LOL

I remember seeing "Jaws" when it first came out, at the Orpheum in Flagstaff, AZ. Still scares me today!

Huntress,

I remember seeing Jaws when it first came out, too ... I was six. My grandparents took us and they always made their own popcorn to take to the movies, so we all walked in with lunch-sized paper bags that had sweaty stains of melted butter seeping through them.