Sign in to follow this  
Paulio

Louis Jourdan has passed away!!

78 posts in this topic

Actually Doris Day has a second leading man still alive - Robert Morse, the top-billed male actor in the 1968 MGM comedy, "Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?"

Scanning through his IMDB page, I believe I count eight Jordan films I have seen, every one of them from watching TCM except for the last one, which I actually saw in the theater as a teenager: THE PARADINE CASE, LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN, MADAME BOVARY, JULIE, GIGI, CAN-CAN, THE V.I.P's and OCTOPUSSY (amazing we can type that last one, given some of the words that are autocensored around here). Pretty sure TCM has also aired THE SWAN and THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN, but I missed those airings.

I feel some shame at potentially trivializing a man's life and career, but I too am already guessing what the prime time airings on tribute night will be: I think GIGI, JULIE, THE V.I.P.s and MADAME BOVARY are by far the most likely. I would probably faint if GIGI wasn't one of them.

• Like 1

I forgot to say in my previous post that I found it interesting that Billy Wilder used Jordan twice as an uncredited narrator: in LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON and IRMA LA DOUCE. If those count as Jordan "acting roles", that would bring the number of his films I've seen to 10.

• Like 1

described by the Hollywood Reporter: "The dashing French actor, most widely recognized as a continental ­lover in films."  passed away on Feb. 14

Sorry to all you LUGOSI fans, but in MY estimation, JOURDAN was the best. Dracula.  EVER!

RIP, count.  And forgive my friend Dave, who always seemed to get you and "jump blues" imprissario LOUIS JORDAN confused!  :)

Sepiatone

I forgot to say in my previous post that I found it interesting that Billy Wilder used Jourdan twice as an uncredited narrator: in LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON and IRMA LA DOUCE. If those count as Jourdan "acting roles", that would bring the number of his films I've seen to 10.

I had no idea.

Are you sure Jourdan narrated Love in the Afternoon? I thought it was narrated by Chevalier. If what you say is so, though, it is one of the few times Billy Wilder made a total mistake- because with Jourdan as the lead instead of Zombie Gary Cooper, the film would work sooooo much better.

described by the Hollywood Reporter: "The dashing French actor, most widely recognized as a continental ­lover in films."  passed away on Feb. 14

Aka Valentine's day- so you see the odd aptness of the whole thing, people who earlier questioned what was noteworthy in re: date of Jourdan's passing. (I don't think "irony" is the mot just. )

PS- I like your avatar, Mr. Noah.

I have forgotten all about that Doris Day classic film Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?

Me too...I've still never heard of it and could have sworn Dodo's last feature was 1966's The Glass Bottom Boat....but I am hardly an expert on all things Doris.

Try The Paradine Case (1947). He's got a small part, but the move itself is worth the watch.

On the lighter side.. there's Swamp Thing (1982)

The Paradine Case is another good example of a film where a gifted director erred seriously in not using Jourdan for the lead; he is excellent in his part...well, everyone is, with the notable exception (I'm sorry, because I know the film has fans) of Gregory Peck. I'm sporry: I said it, and Hitch agreed with me (at least about Peck.)

And yes, there is Swamp Thing, which ran on HBO a lot when I was a child...and while I have not seen it since then, in my mind's eye, I still recall Jourdan from the movie, and I want to say (in my hazy recollection) it's a relaxed, yet campy performance...silky, sly, clearly paying the mortgage for the summer home, but lacking fab and earning his pay. Gotta give him credit for that....

Jourdan had nothing to do with LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON.  Chevalier did narrated.  As for IRMA LA DOUCE, its doubtful Jourdan did  this one too.  Have not seen that film in some time but do not remember a narrator at all. 

The mystery deepens.

"Lights" has NEVER been released on DVD although when it opened in the summer of 1968, it was a very popular.  During it's 6 week engagement at Radio City Music Hall it broke house records during the first two weeks with Variety noting it's $ 278,000 week opener was "The largest one week gross for any one picture at any one theatre in history....."  The film co-stars Robert Morse, Patrick O' Neal, Terry Thomas and features Lola Albright, Jim Backus, Steve Allen, Ben Blue and Pat Paulsen.  It was released about 6 weeks before the release of Miss Day's 39th and final film, "With Six You Get Eggroll" which was one of the top ten grossing films of Miss Day's 39 titles.

• Like 1

I was going by imdb, which has certainly been known to be wrong on occasion. Possibly a poster got AFTERNOON and LA DOUCE mixed up. I haven't seen either movie in quite some time, so I can't say I actually remember the narration.

Me too...I've still never heard of it and could have sworn Dodo's last feature was 1966's The Glass Bottom Boat....but I am hardly an expert on all things Doris.

Her last film was 1968's With Six You Get Eggroll.

• Like 1

Sorry to all you LUGOSI fans, but in MY estimation, JOURDAN was the best. Dracula.  EVER!

RIP, count.  And forgive my friend Dave, who always seemed to get you and "jump blues" imprissario LOUIS JORDAN confused!  :)

Sepiatone

No apology needed.  I always thought Jourdan was on par with Lugosi but one not better than the other.  Yet apologies could be in order for the Jourdan/Jordan mix up.  The thought of Jourdan playing the blues is an entertaining thought, though. 

Billy Wilder never used Louis Jourdan as a  narrator for either of the films.  LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON was narrated by Chevalier and IRMA LA DOUCE had some narration by Paul Frees who was a voice over in many films and some times he dubbed French actors whose accent was thick.  I am not sure where that poster got the wrong info from.  Jourdan was not the first choice to play  Gaston in GIGi.  Dirk Bogarde was originally selected to play that part.  Not quite sure what happened. 

Billy Wilder never used Louis Jourdan as a  narrator for either of the films.  LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON was narrated by Chevalier and IRMA LA DOUCE had some narration by Paul Frees who was a voice over in many films and some times he dubbed French actors whose accent was thick.  I am not sure where that poster got the wrong info from.  Jourdan was not the first choice to play  Gaston in GIGi.  Dirk Bogarde was originally selected to play that part.  Not quite sure what happened. 

Are you sure?   All Frenchman sound alike to Americans!    :lol:

all right, thanks. something about the claim didn't ring true: you do not hire Louis Jourdan and just use the voice. Mario Lanza- ok, fine- but not Louis Jourdan (in his prime.) You use that face too and shame on you if you don't.

I still say Jourdan would've beeen infinitely better in the playboy role instead of Zombie Gary Cooper in Love in the Afternoon.

julie_zpsek4ltrvl.jpg

Maybe the title of this film should have been What Happened to Julie on Her Honeymoon? It would get more people to the theatres.

The Paradine Case is another good example of a film where a gifted director erred seriously in not using Jourdan for the lead; he is excellent in his part...well, everyone is, with the notable exception (I'm sorry, because I know the film has fans) of Gregory Peck. I'm sporry: I said it, and Hitch agreed with me (at least about Peck.)

And yes, there is Swamp Thing, which ran on HBO a lot when I was a child...and while I have not seen it since then, in my mind's eye, I still recall Jourdan from the movie, and I want to say (in my hazy recollection) it's a relaxed, yet campy performance...silky, sly, clearly paying the mortgage for the summer home, but lacking fab and earning his pay. Gotta give him credit for that....

Very interesting comment. I agree about Peck - IMO, he can be a little rough around the edges at times - somewhat like Cooper with his stiffness.

I've always been comfortable with Jourdan in the romantic, or suitor roles.. I have a hard time imagining him as barrister Anthony Keane. I'm sure he would have been excellent, as you say, but I can't imagine it.

Very interesting comment. I agree about Peck - IMO, he can be a little rough around the edges at times - somewhat like Cooper with his stiffness.

I've always been comfortable with Jourdan in the romantic, or suitor roles.. I have a hard time imagining him as barrister Anthony Keane. I'm sure he would have been excellent, as you say, but I can't imagine it.

I forgot about the accent issue. (Which is my big issue with Peck). Probably getting a Britisher would be best if a rewrite were impossible.