Sign in to follow this  
SansFin

Voting Thread for: TCM Programming Challenge #28

56 posts in this topic

This time I went to the bottom and tapped on that "Reply" and this worked. Someone mentioned trying this but I can't remember who so I can thank them.

I cannot vote as I just missed the deadline. I just wanted to say that I still can't believe all the effort you all put into your schedules. They are really wonderful. I can only comment on the movie titles as I don't quite follow all else that goes into it yet. So many titles I have not seen and I'm going to list some from everyone's schedule.

lydecker

Midnight Cowboy

Obsession

20,000 Years in Sing Sing

Satan Met A Lady

Golden Boy

skimpole

Missing

Dinner at Eight

From This Day Forward

Black Narcissus

speedracer5

Daisy Kenyon

Peeper

Sorry, Wrong Number

Love With A Proper Stranger

The Egg and I

Taran_of_Prydain

Letty Lynton

Bell, Book and Candle

The Unholy Three

Black Narcissus

Lonesome Polecat

The House I Live In

What's So Bad About Feeling Good?

The Long Hot Summer

Song of the South

Barton_Keyes

The Lost Weekend

Marlowe

Out of the Fog

Amazing. I am so impressed.

Just wanted to say something good to everyone.

After some consideration, my vote goes to Speedracer -- a great entry from start to finish.

I thank you for your vote!

This time I went to the bottom and tapped on that "Reply" and this worked. Someone mentioned trying this but I can't remember who so I can thank them.

I thank you very much for contributing to thread!

The problem with this forum software is resolving a page with many large posts. This page is available to you now because several of the large posts are now relegated to page two. You will likely see return of problem if you attempt to access original page when number of posts grows so that all large posts are again on that single page.

I hope very much that you realize that you are now committed to submitting schedule in next Challenge! :)

Mockingbird wrote that the deadline to vote has passed -- it hasn't though, has it?  I am seriously torn between 3 choices of all the great schedules.  The deadline is noon Monday (tomorrow) EST, is that correct?

Just checked:

SansFin wrote:

"Voting will be open until: Noon (ET) Monday, February 23, 2015. I will then announce winner."

Mockingbird wrote that the deadline to vote has passed -- it hasn't though, has it? I am seriously torn between 3 choices of all the great schedules. The deadline is noon Monday (tomorrow) EST, is that correct?

Just checked:

SansFin wrote:

"Voting will be open until: Noon (ET) Monday, February 23, 2015. I will then announce winner."

Sorry, Swithin, I should have wrote clearer. I mean I missed deadline to be eligible to vote. It is a very tough decision.

Wonderful schedules, everyone!

Here are some highlights.

Taran_of_prydain: I liked your Fellini Friday spotlight, Judith Anderson films and Their first talkie.

Good job.

Barton-Keyes: I especially liked your theme of great title sequences and I really like that you scheduled the Mitchum/Rampling Farewell, My Lovely. I'd like to see it on TCM too.

Speedracer5: Lots of good things in your schedule. Paper Moon is an excellent Essential, Betty Grable is a great SOTM and I like your dancing ladies theme for your Friday Night Spotlight. I really like your Queens in Space theme for an underground night. Oh, scary phone calls is terrific for a theme.

Lonesome Polecat: As always, a wonderful schedule. I really liked your play-to-film-to film musical idea. Your Alps and roulette and afterlife themes are all great. And, you know, Song of the South does seem like it will never be on TCM but the channel does show a lot of things in context and you never know.

Lydecker's: Good work. I especially like Ruth Chatterton as SOTM and your BFI's most wanted to showcase what you will never see on TCM.

Skimpole: Agatha Christie films, 8 1/2 as an Essential and Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story in your Too hot for TCM theme were great.

I cast my vote for Speedracer5.

• Like 1

SansFin wrote:

That is correct. Deadline to which mockingbird66 referred is that one must be registered on or prior to January 1, 2015 in order to vote.

Wonderful schedules, everyone!

They are indeed all quite wonderful!

I thank you for voting. 

I will post tally of votes results after voting closes.

Very tough decision -- one of the toughest. I narrowed my choice down to three; in the end, I have decided to vote for Lonesome Polecat.

There are many things to love about LP's schedule, but I particularly want to single out the tribute to the great Mildred Natwick. The schedule not only features four films in the Natwick series; in another series, LP programs The Court Jester, which of course features Natwick's memorable "The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle..."  scene with Danny Kaye.

In addition, Blithe Spirit is programmed! Margaret Rutherford, who played the role in the original London production, plays Madame Arcati, but Mildred Natwick originated the role on Broadway.

So, by way of tribute to Millie Natwick, whom I knew, my vote goes to Lonesome Polecat.

Ah ha!  Finally able to post on this thread.  Though I had already let the moderator know 

of my choice, my vote goes to:  Barton_Keyes for a terrific schedule.  Though I liked all 

of the schedules, this was the one I would really like to watch.

Lydecker

It makes me very happy to see that more people are now able to access this thread!

I thank: Swithin and: skimpole for voting!

I had added: lydecker's vote to tally previously and I am happy that he is able to now make it public.

Only a few hours remain!

Voting is now: CLOSED for: TCM Programming Challenge #28: As Time Goes By.

I thank all the entrants for their perfectly wonderful schedules!

I thank also all who voted and commented in this thread. I know that to chose only one schedule was very difficult and the problems with forum software was quite frustrating.

The final vote tally:

speedracer5: 5 votes

Taran_of_Prydain: 3 votes

LonesomePolecat, Barton_Keyes, skimpole and lydecker all tied with 2 votes each!

I congratulate all for their creativity, panache and wit.

It is for: speedracer5 to determine the date for their stint as Challenge Setter for: TCM Programming Challenge #29: If You Only Had a Brain.

• Like 3

Congrats to speedracer5.  Looking forward to what you come up with

for Challenge #29.

Lydecker

• Like 1

Wow. Thanks everyone. This is my 4th time entering. I didn't expect to win.

Thank you everyone for voting for me and thank you SansFin for hosting such a great challenge.

Well crap. I guess it's my turn now. I have never hosted one of these before. I'll have to review previous challenges and make sure I don't duplicate any challenges.

What date works best for everyone to start on #29?

I didn't expect to win.

Well crap. I guess it's my turn now. I have never hosted one of these before. I'll have to review previous challenges and make sure I don't duplicate any challenges.

What date works best for everyone to start on #29?

It is quite worthy win. All of your schedules have been great. I feel there is no "losing" in Challenges because competition is very good at all times. I can not speak for others but my vote for one schedule and not a different one is often decided by inclusion of a few more of my favorite movies.

That quality of all entries is consistently high is shown by TCM Programmers stealing borrowing themes and Premieres from many schedules and not winning schedule only.

I hope that you do not worry of being Challenge Setter. Community is here to help. I hope that you will please feel free to PM me with any questions or problems which you might have. I am sure that others who have been Challenge Setter will be anxious to help also.

I believe that you must keep in mind that you must make decision regarding: Disney animated movies. It is tradition that they not be allowed. I made exception for this Challenge to celebrate recent change in TCM-Disney relations. You must decide to return to ban or to allow all or to make restrictions.

I can not speak as to best time for next Challenge. It seems that there is never perfect time because of real-life activities which might prevent some from participating. I do feel that it is best to avoid when TCM Film Festival is occurring. 

I must ask how you feel of non-vote entries. I might wish to do schedule for Challenge but I have little desire to host Challenge again. I realize that sounds of hubris but I had no hope of winning those Challenges which I did win and I have reasons to not wish to have risk of such freak event occurring again so soon. 

• Like 1

Perhaps it would be worth having folks who have done the challenges over the past few years

weigh in on whether some "sacred cows" should be revisited.  For instance:  Why a 10 premiere limit?

Why not 12? Or 5?  I also was thinking about how TCM has broadcast the old Johnny Carson shows in recent years and it reminded me of a very clever challenge schedule some years back where TV shows were incorporated into the schedule.  Ahh, yes!  It was someone who used old Carol Burnett movie spoofs along with the original films.  How incredibly great was that idea? And, it pushed the envelope a bit, in regard to what you could do within a challenge schedule.  

I know the original intent of the schedules was to duplicate the "challenges" of what TCM programmers have to deal with all the time (the existing library, limited premieres, the current blocks of programming like Silent Sunday, etc. etc.) but perhaps it would be fun to consider changing some of parameters of what you can and cannot do within a challenge schedule.

Just food for thought . . . 

Lydecker

• Like 1

Thank you for your input SansFin and Lydecker.  I will consider these ideas as I try and come up with the next challenge.  

I'm intrigued by the TV idea, only because both Johnny Carson interviews and Mitzi Gaynor's television specials have aired on TCM in the past.  I loved that Gaynor's special included the original 1974 commercials.

I'm open to any other ideas people may have.  

I'm intrigued by the TV idea, only because both Johnny Carson interviews and Mitzi Gaynor's television specials have aired on TCM in the past.  I loved that Gaynor's special included the original 1974 commercials.

I think the classic film stars/early TV stars idea has a lot of possibilities because so many film stars transitioned into TV.  The most interesting part is that many of them were not really superstars in the studio system (Lucille Ball/Robert Vaughn come to mind) but became big stars on this "new" medium.

Lydecker

What does everyone think about starting Challenge #29 on May 3, 2015?

I'm moving into a new house next month, so I'd like some time to move in, paint, decorate, etc. I'm thinking the beginning of May would be a good time.

What does everyone think about starting Challenge #29 on May 3, 2015?

I'm moving into a new house next month, so I'd like some time to move in, paint, decorate, etc. I'm thinking the beginning of May would be a good time.

Ha!  Real life intruding upon TCM Programming Challenges.  Makes sense to me.

Lydecker

• Like 1