Sign in to follow this  
kaslovesTCM

the Academy Awards

313 posts in this topic

it just seems to me this award show has really lost its credibilty and has just become boring and predictable there have been so many award shows

how can they not give the oscar to Julianne Moore and Freddie Redmayne???

the best picture is sure to be Boyhood

but not as predictable as the best actress and actor

I give no credence to the Academy Awards whatsoever, never have. More often than not, the "best" picture of the year is not necessarily the one that wins Best Picture. And some of the best films, and the ones that are still watched and remembered today, are not even nominated.

I've never understood why people, even knowledgeable movie people, pay so much attention to Oscar awards. 

Now, I could probably be accused of fence-sitting, but I've always disliked the idea of "best" anything, anyway. There is such a huge range of films, in terms of the type of film that can get nominated - ie, comedy, drama, thriller, etc.- that it makes no sense to me to compare them. This is not to say that there aren't some movies that are better than others - of course there are.

But the idea of selecting ONE movie that is supposed to be considered the best movie of the year just doesn't make sense to me.

(I feel the same way about music - songs, bands, "best guitarist", etc.)

This is not to say I'm wishy-washy about such matters, if anything, I'm probably too opinionated about them.

But the whole idea of picking ONE movie, ONE actor/actress, ONE director, etc., that's somehow supposed to be better than all the other movies made that year, just seems odd to me.

Blah blah. Having said all that, I like watching the annual Oscar awards show, and try never to miss it. But this is for the same reason I watch the SuperBowl (well, not quite the same...I have a huge interest in films, whereas I barely know what "first and ten" means...)

Both are "events" that I don't take too seriously, but are kind of fun to watch.

The Academy Awards show has film people I enjoy seeing (actors and actresses, directors, etc.), swanning around in fancy clothes. I like checking out the gowns and jewellery, and derive some entertainment from the ever present possibility that something embarrassing might happen (and frequently does!)

• Like 1

Well, the Academy Awards have always been somewhat political and, even, "back in the day"

there were some really BAD "Best" selections.  As for me, the the awards ceremony is mostly

about the opening monologue and the last 1/2 hour when the really significant awards are given.

With all of the endless, EVERY SINGLE YEAR ad nauseum post Oscar telecast comments about "the show is too long and too dull" I say, get rid of 50% of the presenters.  Mostly unprepared and nearly always screwing up nominees' names and other copy which is flashing before them on a  telepromoter (Can't they even READ??) there is generally no rapport between the pair presenting and the "jokes" fall flat.  It makes the actors and actresses look like idiots (and well they may be) but it does not reflect well on the Academy or the film business. 

Lydecker

I also think too much is made about the acceptance "speeches" as to who gets "thanked" or not.  When a winner goes up and first thing pulls out a practical "roll" of listd names of people they think need to get thanked on national TV, it smacks of...of...of...well, I can't think of the word right now.

When they pull out a big folded piece of paper with the long list of whom they wish to acknowledge, It's MY cue to go take a leak, or see what's in the fridge to snack on.  OR, if a WINGS game is going on...well, i'll switch over to see how THAT'S going.

It's really gotten silly though.  I've heard some people thank their CHILDREN, even SOME who weren't even BORN when their Mommy or Daddy was filming the picture they WON for.

C'MON now!  The girl who hands you your silly SKINNY LATTE at STARBUCK'S every morning needs NO thank you on OSCAR NIGHT!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Yes, God forbid they forget to thank their manager, their agent, their personal assistant, the assistant to the personal assistant, their masseusse, their high school drama teacher, etc, etc.

Lydecker

• Like 1

Well, the Academy Awards have always been somewhat political and, even, "back in the day"

there were some really BAD "Best" selections.  As for me, the the awards ceremony is mostly

about the opening monologue and the last 1/2 hour when the really significant awards are given.

With all of the endless, EVERY SINGLE YEAR ad nauseum post Oscar telecast comments about "the show is too long and too dull" I say, get rid of 50% of the presenters.  Mostly unprepared and nearly always screwing up nominees' names and other copy which is flashing before them on a  telepromoter (Can't they even READ??) there is generally no rapport between the pair presenting and the "jokes" fall flat.  It makes the actors and actresses look like idiots (and well they may be) but it does not reflect well on the Academy or the film business. 

Lydecker

but isn't that largely the attraction to the show....looking forward to the over- glamourized 'icons' making fools of themselves

;)

• Like 1

It's only a matter of time before the Academy Award winners will thank their plumber, proctologist, mailman and mechanic...if they haven't already.    I believe it's time to cut their long-winded speeches short after 15 seconds - the floor would open and they would fall into the void.

• Like 1

It's only a matter of time before the Academy Award winners will thank their plumber, proctologist, mailman and mechanic...if they haven't already.    I believe it's time to cut their long-winded speeches short after 15 seconds - the floor would open and they would fall into the void.

the whole circus oughta be cut short. just an hour to schlepp out the statuettes and call it an evening. :D

• Like 1

Maybe it's the fact that it's four degrees outside (the average winter temp where I live is in the fifties); maybe it's the fact that i am less than fond of February as a whole (i like to think of, February like the platypus- one of God's mistakes)

Maybe it's the fact that I'm single, unemployed and have $42 to my name and recenelty abandoned my last attempt at screenwriting a few days ago on rereading it because it was crap, but I am just so especially: "F*** THE OSCARS" this year*.

it's not even fun to handicap anymore, and honestly, that was the only thing I found intriguing about the whole tawdry parade to begin with...

And yes, this is from the perspective of someone who is 36 (a mere baby compared to some of you, i know) and i'm liable to be accused of immaturity or foolishness, but whatever, here is the deal: a solid ninety percent of the films that won Best Picture between 1927 and 1990 in all honesty did not even merit being nominated in the first place. It's not just my perspective as a sarcastic, nihilistic Gen-Xer who grew up on rapid fire MTV edits either- the fact of the matter is that (just to name a few) Ben Hur, Around the World in 80 Days, Going My Way, The Great Ziegfeld, You Can't Take it With You, All the King's Men, Hamlet, Gentlemen's Agreement- aren't good movies now and they weren't good movies then. They got carried along on the crest of a wave of suitability, appropriateness and acceptability- but honestly, every one of them is so dishwater dull and an out-and-out dated embaressment with misplaced sentiment and clunky moralizing- or as was the case with a lot of the epics- BLOATED MIND NUMBINGLY BORING AND SUPERFLOUS SCENES THAT SHOULD HAVE HIT THE EDITING ROOM FLOOR, that there is only so often someone can pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Sorry, Bub,I ain't buying the apples no more.

About the only good thing about the Oscars is that they have given the really great films and performances that were ignored an even more sterling reputation; it's like when Maltin gives something less than three stars- it's always worth checking out. if something was nominated for a major Academy Award (especially in the 1950's) chances are it's worth skipping.

and at the risk of sounding like someone who is a full-on out and out crank (too late?): here goes: EFF THE 31 DAYS OF OSCAR. It is old, it is tired, and the stunning lack of thought and preperation that went into it on the part of TCM this year leads me to think it quite possible the folks in Atlanta are every bit as sick and tired of the whole thing as I am.

This was a terrible post. Sorry, I'm sober right now. I'll do what I can to remedy that situation.

*and DON'T EVEN get me started on how stupid it is that so many people are crying "racism" at the nominations this year when the past ten years have seen Godonlyknows how many black actors win.

ps- really, seriously: EFF THE OSCARS.

• Like 1

those are my sentiments. let 'em go pontificate to their sun lamps. :lol:

"here goes: EFF THE 31 DAYS OF OSCAR. It is old, it is tired, and the stunning lack of thought and preperation that went into it on the part of TCM this year leads me to think it quite possible the folks in Atlanta are every bit as sick and tired of the whole thing as I am."

-wondered the same myself......or (in my case) maybe it's just 'cabin fever' :( :(

the whole circus oughta be cut short. just an hour to schlepp out the statuettes and call it an evening. :D

That's what they did in the first Academy Award ceremony, and I think they got it right that first time. By the way, I wonder what it felt like having all those awards handed out for silent films when by May 1929 (date of first ceremony), it was a dead art form. For example, wouldn't it be weird receiving an award for Best Title Writing when that occupation was already obsolete?

• Like 1

"here goes: EFF THE 31 DAYS OF OSCAR. It is old, it is tired, and the stunning lack of thought and preperation that went into it on the part of TCM this year leads me to think it quite possible the folks in Atlanta are every bit as sick and tired of the whole thing as I am."

-wondered the same myself......or (in my case) maybe it's just 'cabin fever' :( :(

So glad to have a compatriot. it's part cabin fever but not entirely.

I have to admit that, while I'm not a fan of 31 days, there have been times in the past where i admured the ingenuity and creativity that was put into arranging the titles: sectioning by themes etc etc, and some of the promos have been interesting enough.

Not this year.

this year it's bare bones visuals, the same shorts they've used for over a decade (I've watched so many drivers safety shorts that I'm not entirely sure I don't qualify for having some points taken off my license) absolutely no cohesion to the line up- well that's not entirely true, but not much thought put into it- and most of the films they have selected have represented some of the poorest of Oscar nominated films ("Poltergeist" "Ice Station zebra", "Julie" etc)

TCM, look I love you, but Oscarfest is played out.

Let it die.

(or at the very least try having 31 NIGHTS of Oscar next year and leave the daytime hours for programming that doesn't suck.)

• Like 2

So glad to have a compatriot. it's part cabin fever but not entirely.

I have to admit that, while I'm not a fan of 31 days, there have been times in the past where i admured the ingenuity and creativity that was put into arranging the titles: sectioning by themes etc etc, and some of the promos have been interesting enough.

Not this year.

this year it's bare bones visuals, the same shorts they've used for over a decade (I've watched so many drivers safety shorts that I'm not entirely sure I don't qualify for having some points taken off my license) absolutely no cohesion to the line up- well that's not entirely true, but not much thought put into it- and most of the films they have selected have represented some of the poorest of Oscar nominated films ("Poltergeist" "Ice Station zebra", "Julie" etc)

TCM, look I love you, but Oscarfest is played out.

Let it die.

(or at the very least try having 31 NIGHTS of Oscar next year and leave the daytime hours for programming that doesn't suck.)

In years past they have usually had at least one or two films on during primetime that they usually did not air the rest of the year. I think one recent year they showed "Hold Back the Dawn". This year there is nothing special that makes me want to tune in. I think this could be due to budget cuts imposed recently by Warner Brothers.

How did my post turn into Eff the 31 Days of Oscars???

I think it was the long and heartfelt post by LornaHansonForbes that caused your thread to "evolve".

I'll admit that I don't really care too much about who wins the Oscar... in fact, I enjoy it when the awards show darling of the circuit fails to end up with the ultimate prize at the end.  I don't know why.  I rarely have seen many (if any) of the films that were nominated.  I think, this year, the only film that is nominated that I saw was Big Hero 6 that was nominated for "Best Animated Feature." The Lego Movie was robbed of a nomination, imo.

I do like watching the Oscars because I like to see what people are wearing, the ugly clothes always being the best.  I like to see if anyone will embarass themselves, like when Jennifer Lawrence fell on the stairs a couple years ago. 

I agree that the banter between the presenters is lame.  Only rarely is the banter funny.  I don't know why they can't just cut to the chase and present the award.  I think that's why I like The Golden Globes better, only because they seem to get right to it and present the awards.  Maybe if the Academy plied the Oscar nominees with booze, we'd have a more entertaining show.  It seems to work for the Golden Globes.  The Oscars have gotten too stuffy, but at the same time, are trying too hard to connect with younger audiences. 

I'd love if instead of ridiculous musical numbers, maybe they could show clips of performances from the past. 

Despite my grievances about the turn the annual gala has taken, I'll probably still watch it on Sunday.

• Like 1

"Hold Back the Dawn" was SO GOOD!

I WISH they'd re-air it.

Hold Back the Dawn is a first rate film.   Strange that Olivia DeHavilland's two best performances while under contact with WB were on loan outs.   HBTD and Gone With the Wind.  

Maybe it's the fact that it's four degrees outside (the average winter temp where I live is in the fifties); maybe it's the fact that i am less than fond of February as a whole (i like to think of, February like the platypus- one of God's mistakes)

Maybe it's the fact that I'm single, unemployed and have $42 to my name and recenelty abandoned my last attempt at screenwriting a few days ago on rereading it because it was crap, but I am just so especially: "F*** THE OSCARS" this year*.

it's not even fun to handicap anymore, and honestly, that was the only thing I found intriguing about the whole tawdry parade to begin with...

And yes, this is from the perspective of someone who is 36 (a mere baby compared to some of you, i know) and i'm liable to be accused of immaturity or foolishness, but whatever, here is the deal: a solid ninety percent of the films that won Best Picture between 1927 and 1990 in all honesty did not even merit being nominated in the first place. It's not just my perspective as a sarcastic, nihilistic Gen-Xer who grew up on rapid fire MTV edits either- the fact of the matter is that (just to name a few) Ben Hur, Around the World in 80 Days, Going My Way, The Great Ziegfeld, You Can't Take it With You, All the King's Men, Hamlet, Gentlemen's Agreement- aren't good movies now and they weren't good movies then. They got carried along on the crest of a wave of suitability, appropriateness and acceptability- but honestly, every one of them is so dishwater dull and an out-and-out dated embaressment with misplaced sentiment and clunky moralizing- or as was the case with a lot of the epics- BLOATED MIND NUMBINGLY BORING AND SUPERFLOUS SCENES THAT SHOULD HAVE HIT THE EDITING ROOM FLOOR, that there is only so often someone can pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Sorry, Bub,I ain't buying the apples no more.

About the only good thing about the Oscars is that they have given the really great films and performances that were ignored an even more sterling reputation; it's like when Maltin gives something less than three stars- it's always worth checking out. if something was nominated for a major Academy Award (especially in the 1950's) chances are it's worth skipping.

and at the risk of sounding like someone who is a full-on out and out crank (too late?): here goes: EFF THE 31 DAYS OF OSCAR. It is old, it is tired, and the stunning lack of thought and preperation that went into it on the part of TCM this year leads me to think it quite possible the folks in Atlanta are every bit as sick and tired of the whole thing as I am.

This was a terrible post. Sorry, I'm sober right now. I'll do what I can to remedy that situation.

*and DON'T EVEN get me started on how stupid it is that so many people are crying "racism" at the nominations this year when the past ten years have seen Godonlyknows how many black actors win.

Agree TCM should jettison the 31 Days of Oscar and replace it with the 31 Day of NO-scar, lets see all the great films best remembered each year that the Oscars were awarded as a comparison to the Oscar winners.  ;)

Agree TCM should jettison the 31 Days of Oscar and replace it with the 31 Day of NO-scar, lets see all the great films best remembered each year that the Oscars were awarded as a comparison to the Oscar winners.  ;)

I assumed you meant 'never awarded as a comparison'?        Anyhow,  while I like the idea it might look like TCM was trying to insult the academy and that wouldn't be a good thing for a movie channel like TCM to do.

I assumed you meant 'never awarded as a comparison'?        Anyhow,  while I like the idea it might look like TCM was trying to insult the academy and that wouldn't be a good thing for a movie channel like TCM to do.

quite the contrary, it would show that tcm had some independent-minded guts! :)

quite the contrary, it would show that tcm had some independent-minded guts! :)

Like I said I wish TCM would do that also,  but showing independent-minded guts wouldn't be wise from a business POV.   Upsetting studio bosses that lease films to you,  or actors, producers, directors and other in the industry,  that then might refuse to be guest host or support TCM,   isn't very wise.

Like I said I wish TCM would do that also,  but showing independent-minded guts wouldn't be wise from a business POV.   Upsetting studio bosses that lease films to you,  or actors, producers, directors and other in the industry,  that then might refuse to be guest host or support TCM,   isn't very wise.

tcm sure has not ticked off UA distributors lately as I have yet to see The Flame Barrier from 1958 on tcm. :)

tcm sure has not ticked off UA distributors lately as I have yet to see The Flame Barrier from 1958 on tcm. :)

yeah, tcm better not irritate anyone or prints of doctor zhivago and lawrence of arabia might become hard to come by. :lol: