Sign in to follow this  
kaslovesTCM

the Academy Awards

313 posts in this topic

I could take the side of American Sniper over Birdman but better not, lol. You guys would hate me.

I will say this though, the Oscars today are not about the best in each category, some vote for movies they haven't even viewed. So the Oscars are not what they pretend to be, they are like A Streetcar Named Desire.

page1-330px-Grandiose_delusions_cat_lion

I could take the side of American Sniper over Birdman but better not, lol. You guys would hate me.

I will say this though, the Oscars today are not about the best in each category, some vote for movies they haven't even viewed. So the Oscars are not what they pretend to be, they are like A Streetcar Named Desire.

I'm interested in why,  based on merits of each film,  you would have voted for Sniper over Birdman.   

It must be the way my mind works, but whenever I see a man in nothing but underpants in public (like, so very often....), I always get a little nervous for them that something might, uh, happen. That would affect the way the guy's underwear appears, I mean.

I've heard that men have no control over such an event, and that anything at all can trigger it.

Aren't the men who wear underpants in public worried that this might occur?

Dare I say I've wondered about that too, missw!

This was in this morning's paper here:

I opened the Tampa Bay Times to read with my morning coffee. On the front page it read, "Birdman soars" in winning the best picture Oscar. I was surprised, as everyone I spoke with thought that American Sniper was outstanding and would surely win.

I checked the gross revenue generated by each movie. Birdman had domestic sales of $37.7 million. America Sniper had domestic sales of $319.6 million. That means that about 90 percent of every dollar spent on these two movies was spent on American Sniper.

Birdman is the best picture for the Hollywood elite. The best movie for the American people is American Sniper. This is a perfect example of how out of touch the elite in Los Angeles/New York are with the rest of the country

Very interesting. I think Boyhood was by far the best film of the year.  It's an art film in many ways, and so according to Tampa Bay Times standards might be considered "elite;" but it is SO American.  And Patricia Arquette's husbands #2 and #3 would fit right in with the American Sniper crowd!

NPH was in tighty whities, Hibi.

As I mentioned in another post in this thread, I was informed that his underwear appearance was an homage to the movie BIRDMAN, which I have not seen.

michael-keaton-strips-to-his-underwear-f

Barf. Double barf. Barf to the infinite power.

Sincerely,

All the Barfs

Barf City, USA

Well, ladies. Maybe this is the guy you should be asking about that, ahem.. , underwear appearance thing, er.. , PROBLEM. That's it. Problem. Maybe he uses extra-extra strarch. ;)

svi4b7.jpg

Couldn't they have used CGI to give him some muscles and a tan while running in his underwear? If it was a homage to that they sure came close, lol.

I will say this though, the Oscars today are not about the best in each category, some vote for movies they haven't even viewed. So the Oscars are not what they pretend to be

It is not just a phenonemon of today---that is, Academy members voting for movies or performance they have not seen.

It has likely happened since the early years of the awards.

Certainly there have been many instances where Academy members have voted for a movie or performance withour seeing all of the nominated movies.

Barf. Double barf. Barf to the infinite power.

Sincerely,

All the Barfs

Barf City, USA

Yes, LHF, that image of Michael Keaton in his underwear was not very pretty. 

Neil Partrick Harris's homage was much easier on the eyes to be sure.

rs_634x1024-150222185251-634-neil-patric

...and I'm ESPECIALLY tired of hearing them do this when they sing "The Star-Spangled Banner"...I always wanna yell out, "HEY! Just HIT the freakin' notes and SING the freakin' song and stop tryin' to impress us, OKAY???!!!...So, you two Canadians here...do they do that to YOUR National Anthem up there TOO???

Hell, no.

Soooo...none of that coloratura crap done to "O Canada" then, eh dark?

And so I suppose that ALSO rules out any colouratura crap done to it too, RIGHT?! ;)

(...you're lucky up there then, dude...well, except of course for your unfortunate winter weather anyway)

LOL

Soooo...none of that coloratura crap done to "O Canada" then, eh dark?

None. We find our anthem to be glorious enough when sung straight - no need for embellishment.

None. We find our anthem to be glorious enough when sung straight - no need for embellishment.

OR, could it just be that anyone singing it at an outdoor sporting event in the winter months wants to get it over with as soon as possible in order to assure their vocal chords don't freeze up and possibly cause permanent damage to them???

(...though I suppose this wouldn't explain this lack of coloratura OR coloUratura being added to your National Anthem during the three other seasons of the year, huh..errr..I mean, eh?!...as short as those other three seasons of the year ARE up there, of course!)

OR, could it just be that anyone singing it at an outdoor sporting event in the winter months wants to get it over with as soon as possible in order to assure their vocal chords don't freeze up and possibly cause permanent damage to them???

(...though I suppose this wouldn't explain this lack of coloratura OR coloUratura being added to your National Anthem during the three other seasons of the year, huh..errr..I mean, eh?!)

We sing it pretty much the same way indoors and out, regardless of the season. Truth be told, we don't hold many outdoor events during winter.

Is this 1968 or something? America's greatness lies in its diversity, so it shouldn't surprise anyone when people develop their own takes on the national anthem. And let's not forget that the music was cribbed from an old British drinking song!

Yes, it worked for Freddie Mercury, and it worked for Janis Joplin.

It's kind of a hallmark of rock music.

The falsetto and emotive singing has deep roots in soul/r n b music, going back to the gospel tradition. Rock picked up on this from r n b.

Just as a song, I find "O Canada" to be much better than "The Star Spangled Banner".

Is this 1968 or something? America's greatness lies in its diversity, so it shouldn't surprise anyone when people develop their own takes on the national anthem. And let's not forget that the music was cribbed from an old British drinking song!

Thd singers that.are chosen to sing the National Anthem at major events are chosen for their singing styles, so they give it their personal flourishes.

Just as a song, I find "O Canada" to be much better than "The Star Spangled Banner".

And it's probably even better when it's sung without skates!

It must be the way my mind works, but whenever I see a man in nothing but underpants in public (like, so very often....), I always get a little nervous for them that something might, uh, happen. That would affect the way the guy's underwear appears, I mean.

I've heard that men have no control over such an event, and that anything at all can trigger it.

Aren't the men who wear underpants in public worried that this might occur?

That possibility might be part.of the attraction for those that choose to do this.

Knowing that the Oscar telecast has a long history of cheesy and iffy musical production numbers, I had no problem with most of them this year. I only objected to the Lego number. Lady Gaga has a great voice,.as does Jennifer Hudson, and I enjoyed their renditions. Being a fan of gospel/r n b/ soul music, as well as Mexican Ranchera, I love this style of singing. I also enjoyed Adam Levine's performance, think he has an amazing voice, and love the song he did. It was a crucial song to the plot of the movie BEGIN AGAIN, a very good would be sleeper film that never quite woke up to find its audience.

I found it amusing that WOULDBESTAR brought up the BOX OFFICE RECIEPTS as some kind of proof that the Hollywood "elite" is out of touch with the American "people"( DON'T get me started on THAT!).

Now, we here in these boards often discuss how WE feel the MONEY MADE by a movie is NO INDICATOR of said film's quality.  Claiming that MORE people paid MORE money to see AMERICAN SNIPER makes IT the "Best movie for the American people" is so insipid I could puke.

How often have TONS of people paid TONS of money to see a movie that they wound up REALLY HATING?

Look how many people spent HOW much money going to see TITANIC back in 1997.  Now, it seems EVERYBODY in these boards have nothing good to SAY about that movie, but in light of the MONEY facts, WOULDBESTAR obviously had to have a change of heart!

Now, I've neither seen BIRDMAN, nor the SNIPER movie, OR saw BOYHOOD, which by the gasps in the "elite" audience at the Oscar show whenever it got mention, SEEMS to be the "darling" of that elite, I would say that possibly, people are more in love with the CONCEPT of how "Boyhood" was filmed, rather that whether  it really IS a good film or not.  Sounds to me that MANY people can make "Hollywood history" by editing all their SUPER 8 home movies together into one long flick of their kids growing up!  Like being stuck seeing them as they happened over the years wasn't boring enough!

Sepiatone