Sign in to follow this  
kaslovesTCM

the Academy Awards

313 posts in this topic

I find it helpful to see lists like this from back during the period.  Not the Oscars.  Even more interesting though would be to have a consumer index on movies, besides ticket sales, if there even is such a thing.   Sort of like the IMDB 1-10 voting scale, except something from the year the movie was shown.  Not voted on by today's voters, but voted upon back then.  Older movies are always more foggy on the IMDB scale, no matter how good they were back in the day.  People vote for issues that mean something to them nowadays, not what was important to the crowd back then.

This is a hot-linked photo I "uploaded", using the amazing photo hot-linking features we have here.  This from the martinturnbull.com site referenced in another recent thread.   Some are titles we have seen here, some I have never heard of before.  All weighted differently.

The-Film-Dailys-Ten-Best-Pictures-for-19

I might be wrong, but I strongly suspect that the four movies from 1944 that would hold up best today would include one the didn't make the top 10 (Double Indemnity) and three that didn't even get 10 votes. (Laura; To Have and Have Not; Meet Me in St. Louis).  Movies truly did plunge to the depths during the WW2 era, at least if you go by that list.  The only possible explanation that makes any sense would be if they only considered films released through September, since those last three were all released after that.

I might be wrong, but I strongly suspect that the four movies from 1944 that would hold up best today would include one the didn't make the top 10 (Double Indemnity) and three that didn't even get 10 votes. (Laura; To Have and Have Not; Meet Me in St. Louis). Movies truly did plunge to the depths during the WW2 era, at least if you go by that list. The only possible explanation that makes any sense would be if they only considered films released through September, since those last three were all released after that.

Ditto.

except I don't "get" "to have and have not ". I've tried, and I understand it's great...I just don't " get" it.

but I was quite surprised to not see "Laura" on the list.

and as good/bad as Stephen Boyd is in "The Oscar"; he is nowhere near as outraaaaaay-geously good/bad as he is in "Ben Hur."

(I think Wyler talked him into doing it so camp as to have a performance at least halfway equivalent in weight to the big slab of ham Charlton Heston delivered.)

I think the best film of 1944 was Wilson. I think it holds up wonderfully well today.

I know the goose stepping comment is mostly a light hearted one

Yes - if by "light hearted" you mean unbelievably moronic.

I might be wrong, but I strongly suspect that the four movies from 1944 that would hold up best today would include one the didn't make the top 10 (Double Indemnity) and three that didn't even get 10 votes. (Laura; To Have and Have Not; Meet Me in St. Louis).  Movies truly did plunge to the depths during the WW2 era, at least if you go by that list.  The only possible explanation that makes any sense would be if they only considered films released through September, since those last three were all released after that.

I think you hit it on the mark. There are several titles here that were released late 1943. So the films you mentioned, which were all highly regarded upon release, would have been considered for the 1945 survey.

Here is more to that.  There is a "yearbook" for each year (or as many as they could find).

These are not listed in any particular order, but are still interesting to look through and put some faces to some names.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=%22film%20daily%22

I wouldn't say it reached all the way to moronic, but it was pretty silly and rather stupid.

Okay. Sounds about right.

Oh, Gore was such a delightful old ****.

he also has an anecdote in the Greta Garbo documentary about her always leaving the toilet seat up. its gold.

I'll also toss in that I got especially mad at the 1959 "ben-hur" this year, which I don't even know why I was bothering to watch ( I think I had absolutely nowhere else to be that night.)

maybe it was because I saw the 1925 silent version for the first time this summer, and it is so much better in every way.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, I'd never heard of this movie. I just looked it up.

I don't know how good it is as a film, but it might be an interesting exercise in TCM programming to air it during "Oscar Month."

It's Oscar GOLD. LOL.

I'll also toss in that I got especially mad at the 1959 "ben-hur" this year, which I don't even know why I was bothering to watch ( I think I had absolutely nowhere else to be that night.)

maybe it was because I saw the 1925 silent version for the first time this summer, and it is so much better in every way.

I agree, LHF.

The silent version of BEN-HUR is a thousand times better than the 1959 version.

• Like 1