Sign in to follow this  
kaslovesTCM

the Academy Awards

313 posts in this topic

tcm sure has not ticked off UA distributors lately as I have yet to see The Flame Barrier from 1958 on tcm. :)

Yes,  it would be nice if TCM had a better relationship with UA,  as well as Universal.    But not so they could show The Flame Barrier.   That film is a stinker. 

...I do like watching the Oscars because I like to see what people are wearing, the ugly clothes always being the best.  I like to see if anyone will embarass themselves, like when Jennifer Lawrence fell on the stairs a couple years ago. ...

I thought Jennifer Lawrence handled that incident quite well. She had a sense of humour about it, and also, as she said when constantly asked about it for days afterwards by media people, what's the big deal? So she was wearing a long gown and high heels, apparel she's not in the habit of wearing and wasn't used to, and tripped over them. She's also pretty young, again - not used to walking around or climbing steps in such an outfit.

Hm, guess you can tell I'm a bit of a Jennifer Lawrence fan. It's true, I think she has a no buIIsh!te way about her that I like. Plus- full disclosure ! - I like the Hunger Games movies.

How did my post turn into Eff the 31 Days of Oscars???

Well, I think it's just that any thread about the Academy Awards has the potential to trigger all kinds of opinions about them. And there are a lot of people here, including me, who don't have much regard for them  - except, as I said in my earlier post here, to watch as some kind of 3-hour entertainment (even the boring parts) once a year.

I kind of like that "eff" business.  "Eff" is more fun to use than the word it stands for. Or even the letter "F".

I thought Jennifer Lawrence handled that incident quite well. She had a sense of humour about it, and also, as she said when constantly asked about it for days afterwards by media people, what's the big deal? So she was wearing a long gown and high heels, apparel she's not in the habit of wearing and wasn't used to, and tripped over them. She's also pretty young, again - not used to walking around or climbing steps in such an outfit.

Hm, guess you can tell I'm a bit of a Jennifer Lawrence fan. It's true, I think she has a no buIIsh!te way about her that I like. Plus- full disclosure ! - I like the Hunger Games movies.

I wasn't dissing on her.  I thought it was funny and she seemed to have a good sense of humor.  At least she didn't try to blame whoever waxed the stairs or the designer of her gown or something.  She seems to be pretty down to earth as well. I would have probably tripped and fallen constantly in heels and a long dress.  I'm not very graceful.  In fact, if I were ever at the Oscars (which probably won't happen unless I secured the coveted "seat filler" job), then I would probably wear a cocktail dress and flats just so I had a chance at not tripping.

Yeah, sorry, speed baby, I hope it didn't seem like I was jumping on your post.

I get what you were saying, which was that one reason to watch on Oscar night is just to see what will happen - embarrassing or un-planned stuff (like tripping over your long gown on the steps) makes the evening more entertaining.

RE: Jennifer Lawrence: have you seen American Hustle ? She's very good in that, she just grabs her trashy character and runs with her. Her scenes in that film are quite fun to watch.

Agree TCM should jettison the 31 Days of Oscar and replace it with the 31 Day of NO-scar, lets see all the great films best remembered each year that the Oscars were awarded as a comparison to the Oscar winners.  ;)

That would be TCM the other 334 days of the year, pretty much. Probably every day they show at least one great movie that wasn't considered for a nomination.

*and DON'T EVEN get me started on how stupid it is that so many people are crying "racism" at the nominations this year when the past ten years have seen Godonlyknows how many black actors win.

ps- really, seriously: EFF THE OSCARS.

It might be hard for you to believe but, there are races besides black and white. And I am only a few years older than you are. Its all old fogeys here. 

You have to take the Oscars in context. Each year has events and sensibilities of that time. You can't take 2015 mentality to 1946 or any other time. What might be amazing then today might seem ordinary. You would have to be there to know.

When else are the rich and famous going to get all decked out and walk the red carpet ? For many non sports fans, this is their Super Bowl !  :lol: 

I used to be giddy with excitement  anticipating the Academy Awards, and watching with my mother on Oscar night.  With the demise of Old Hollywood  the thrill faded a little bit, but it still was a kick, especially the gowns (when actresses chose their own) and corny musical numbers (remember Rob Lowe and Snow White when Alan Carr produced the show?), and unexpected stuff, as mentioned.  Whatever happened to Sasheen Littlefeather, I wonder?!  

About 20 years ago a friend attended the ceremony.  Her father was an Academy member and retired actor, a movie star in the '40s and '50s.   It was fun to hear about it all firsthand.  She even met Jack Nicholson who had worked with her dad.  I loved hearing about the fancily dressed seat-fillers who  popped into seats when actors went to the loo or bar.  

• Like 1

It might be hard for you to believe but, there are races besides black and white. And I am only a few years older than you are. Its all old fogeys here. 

You have to take the Oscars in context. Each year has events and sensibilities of that time. You can't take 2015 mentality to 1946 or any other time. What might be amazing then today might seem ordinary. You would have to be there to know.

When else are the rich and famous going to get all decked out and walk the red carpet ? For many non sports fans, this is their Super Bowl !  :lol:

but why should the hollywood 1%'s glorification (or is it deification?) go unchallenged by the media when it is always open season on the wall street 1%?

are the hollywood 1%'s mansions and swimming pools and yachts smaller than their wall street counterpart's selfsame luxuries? :D

methinks not so...

why the free pass? :)

Yeah, sorry, speed baby, I hope it didn't seem like I was jumping on your post.

I get what you were saying, which was that one reason to watch on Oscar night is just to see what will happen - embarrassing or un-planned stuff (like tripping over your long gown on the steps) makes the evening more entertaining.

RE: Jennifer Lawrence: have you seen American Hustle ? She's very good in that, she just grabs her trashy character and runs with her. Her scenes in that film are quite fun to watch.

I did see American Hustle.  Overall, I enjoyed the film.  I liked Lawrence's performance and I liked Amy Adams.  For me though, while I liked 'Hustle,' it isn't one of those films that I feel like I need to own.  I don't see myself needing to watch it againI loved the tacky 1970s vibe and the music.  It was a great movie.

I did see American Hustle. Overall, I enjoyed the film. I liked Lawrence's performance and I liked Amy Adams. For me though, while I liked 'Hustle,' it isn't one of those films that I feel like I need to own. I don't see myself needing to watch it again. I loved the tacky 1970s vibe and the music. It was a great movie.

I love the 60's and 70's, though I haven't seen this. I don't always like the recent movies but I am willing to give it a shot. Especially since it depicts the 70's.

http://timelines.latimes.com/academy-awards/

This is a really interesting compilation of the Academy Awards from its inception in 1928 through today.  There are a lot of interesting facts and pictures.

Did anyone know that during the Oscar ceremonies in the 1930s, they used to collect the votes and tabulate them right there during the ceremony?

when the first speaker mentioned how much american sniper has grossed, I hope the applause that got didn't weaken the ceiling plaster of the dolby theater :D

I had never heard of Milena Canonero, but my gosh, she has now won Best Costume Oscars for BARRY LYNDON, CHARIOTS OF FIRE, MARIE ANTOINETTE and THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL. That is an impressive (and lengthy career)!

but why should the hollywood 1%'s glorification (or is it deification?) go unchallenged by the media when it is always open season on the wall street 1%?

are the hollywood 1%'s mansions and swimming pools and yachts smaller than their wall street counterpart's selfsame luxuries? :D

methinks not so...

why the free pass? :)

Hollywood gets hit on a regular basis. Go to any grocery store and you see right at the cashier. Ever heard of the Enquirer or The Star ? And the host of others that mark every move they make ?

Not even Wall St has that. And hey, movie star are given their money. They don't tear apart any businesses to earn their checks.

• Like 1

Helen Mirren remarked that her own great triumph when she received her Oscar for THE QUEEN was not "faling a-r-se over t-i-t " as she went up the stairs to collect the award.

Jennifer Lawrence is an actor who truly warrants the over-used compliment "amazing."

HUNGER GAMES director Gary Ross's planned movie adaptation of John Steinbeck's novel East Of Eden (possibly split into two movies) will feature Jennifer Lawrence in the role of Cathy Ames (the mother of the twins Cal and Aron Trask).  Elia Kazan's eariler adaptatiom (which starred James Dean as Cal) dealt only with the last third of Steinbeck's novel.  

thought it was a pretty good show. NPH an excellent host ( good as B. Crystal used to be)

Good opening, entertaining, funny & respected some classics. Nice memorial segment & not overshadowed by song. A bit of politics but nothing overzealous. Nice to hear Lady Gaga really can sing. Decent award choices (only surprise was best actor, but he was cool) Show moved along, no really ugly dresses (unfortunately), could've done w/o seeing NPH in underwear... got the 'Birdman' reference, but still embarrssing.

Overall, one of the better oscar shows :)

About time, too.

P.S. who knew "Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)'' was the whole title??   :o

• Like 1

Thought I'd die of shame (for sake of the Academy, and every music lover--with taste--in the audience) before that Neil Patrick Harris song and dance routine in the beginning ever got over. Never saw any M.C. at the Oscars who looked so much at risk of being garroted by his own bow-tie, or downright drawn and quartered by that way 'too sexy for his shirt' fit of his monkey suit. Where, oh where my dear friends are the Fashion Police and our dear, darling Joanie now that the world so needs her more than ever?

This may not deserve a whole new paragraph to itself, but, Darlings! Do tell! Since when should a tux look like a Spiderman suit?

Okay. Moving on: won't you agree with me that they really do need to just get over it and appoint Billy Crystal a lifetime contract to do this show--I mean, ask yourselves! Who else has the taste to pull it off with that special Hollywood and Manhattan style of class?

So what, his leading laugh line each time should then have to be, "Okay, okay. It's the Jew again. We really do own Hollywood? Hey! We give you a good deal. So be happy in your work."

In conclusion, dear Hollywoodland Friends, are you with me when I say that we really do have to give kudos in honor to the cajones on Sean Penn, for saving the whole show as he did? Who would ever have thought? I mean, you heard it, didn't you, that line of his announcing Best Picture--that it should go to Alejandro González Iñárritu (already he's sitting there in the audience clutching two Oscars). So, here's Sean, this guy who in a younger day used to love nothing more than shooting at paparazzi in choppers over Madonna's mansion (their love nest) in the Hollywood Hills--or i.e. when it wasn't rats, at the dump for a classic Woody Allen film (a sort of Spinal Tap fake biopic send-up, one of his best, in my book). But, here's Sean, true to form, performing that long, pregnant pause before reading out the content of the Best Picture envelope. Finally, he asks, with an expression of classic Elmer Fudd shotgun toting befuddlement, "Who gave this SOB his Green Card?"

Hooray for Hollywood!

I wondered if having Eddie Murphy present the screenwriting award was somebody's idea of a cute joke.  Though not named in the law suit himself, Eddie Murphy who supposedly came up with the idea of Coming to America was subject to a much publicized plagiarism lawsuit put forward by Art Buchwald.

Buchwald's lawyer, Pierce O'Donnell wrote a book entitled, Fatal Subtraction which outlined his clients' win but subsequent fierce battle to prove that the film had actually made any profits.

• Like 1

In conclusion, dear Hollywoodland Friends, are you with me when I say that we really do have to give kudos in honor to the cajones on Sean Penn, for saving the whole show as he did? Who would ever have thought? I mean, you heard it, didn't you, that line of his announcing Best Picture--that it should go to Alejandro González Iñárritu (already he's sitting there in the audience clutching two Oscars). So, here's Sean, this guy who in a younger day used to love nothing more than shooting at paparazzi in choppers over Madonna's mansion (their love nest) in the Hollywood Hills--or i.e. when it wasn't rats, at the dump for a classic Woody Allen film (a sort of Spinal Tap fake biopic send-up, one of his best, in my book). But, here's Sean, true to form, performing that long, pregnant pause before reading out the content of the Best Picture envelope. Finally, he asks, with an expression of classic Elmer Fudd shotgun toting befuddlement, "Who gave this SOB his Green Card?"

Hooray for Hollywood!

Penn's been taking a beating for his comments. But as a point of reference, Alejandro González Iñárritu directed him in the 2003 Oscar-nominated drama "21 Grams," and it was obvious that Penn loves the guy.

Payback for Eastwood’s refusal to follow along with the rest of the sheeple.

Box Office Mojo

American Sniper

Domestic Total as of Feb. 22, 2015: $319,607,000

You know, NOT having seen ANY of the movies mentioned, nominated or that WON anything, and NOT ever having HEARD of the people involved in any of them, I can honestly say I wasn't disappointed with any of the results.

As a Detroiter, I AM proud of JK SIMMONS for his probably well deserved win.  NOW, I'm going to have to hit ON DEMAND to see if the movie he did is is on their menu.

If I WAS disappointed in anything, it was the IN MEMORIUM "tribute". 

If I had NO IDEA what ROBIN WILLIAMS, ROD TAYLOR or ELI WALLACH looked like, I STILL don't know!  Most of these guys have been in the biz for 40 or more years,    SURELY there must have been some decent PHOTOGRAPHS of them available.  Or, what MAY be te case, SOME producer's son, nephew or daughter's BOYFRIEND is a "starving artist" and made clear as to WHY they're starving!  Most of those chalk sketches looked almost like CARICATURES more than portraits!

I'm surprising even mySELF in admitting I was quite surprised and pleased with LADY GA-GA's performance!  But, then, THOSE songs were familiar, AND mostly well liked.

But, it seemed to me that each of the OTHER songs that were "sprinkled" throughout the night were seemingly trying their best to OUTSUCK  the previous  song!  NONE of the songs from the newer movies were worth the head pain!

All in all, the show kind of dragged for me, and Harris however, didn't seem too bad of a host.  his TONY experience likely helped him out.

Sepiatone

Box Office Mojo

American Sniper

I'll be impressed when it catches "Frozen" at $400.7 million.

Box Office Mojo

American Sniper

Well, Jake ol' boy. Clint's movie's title DOES have the word "American" in it, now doesn't it?!

And so, c'mon now! YOU know how "Hollywood hates America", now doncha?!!!!

LOL

(...yeah, I figured all the "Good Ol' Boys" out there would get their freakin' noses out o' joint after Clint got shut out last night...yep, I'll bet ALL the freakin' AM radio blowhards are havin' a REAL field day with THIS this morning!!!)

LOL

• Like 1