Sign in to follow this  
kaslovesTCM

the Academy Awards

313 posts in this topic

Hollywood gets hit on a regular basis. Go to any grocery store and you see right at the cashier. Ever heard of the Enquirer or The Star ? And the host of others that mark every move they make ?

Not even Wall St has that. And hey, movie star are given their money. They don't tear apart any businesses to earn their checks.

meaning what? that they can enjoy their palatial mansions, swimming pools and yachts without a pang of concern for the rest of the world? they don't have the same onus on them?

they can talk about wage equality and the rain forests when they don't have more pressing matters on their minds like their next movie?...

well, that's just so darn nice of them. :)

hollywood films have never exactly been great advocates for moral restraint in human interpersonal relationships (which many feel has done great damage to our country's moral fiber) and as far as those grocery checkout mags are concerned. may I quote the late great victor mature who said...

"if you want your phu king privacy then don't become a phu king movie star"

:D

patricia arquette and her silly ramblings about wage equality. this is why alotta people watch. to hear hilarious happy HS like that.
what does she, a rich 1% hollywood celeb have to do with wage equality?...

nuthin!

this is why some viewers will laugh.

the utter silliness of the level of self-importance that celebs will chronically attribute to themselves.

rich hollywood celebs fretting over wage equality?...

silly, silly people.

I guess receiving their statuettes makes some of them giddy.

maybe a film about hollywood celebrity life is in order...

stupidhood.

:)

• Like 1

Academy Awards TV ratings down big from last year- , The 87th Annual Academy Awards earned a preliminary 10.3 adults 18-49 rating, down sharply from the preliminary 12.1 adults 18-49 preliminary rating last year's telecast earned.

If American Sniper had been titled U.N. Sniper is would have won, lol. The U.N. is nowhere to be found with ISIS.

Well, Jake ol' boy. Clint's movie's title DOES have the word "American" in it, now doesn't it?!

And so, c'mon now! YOU know how "Hollywood hates America", now doncha?!!!!

LOL

(...yeah, I figured all the "Good Ol' Boys" out there would get their freakin' noses out o' joint after Clint got shut out last night...yep, I'll bet ALL the freakin' AM radio blowhards are havin' a REAL field day with THIS this morning!!!)

LOL

I doan have any problem with how american sniper did last nite at all. sat though it once and quite frankly I found it only a so-so film.

dramatically clint's direction was weak in spots. like when kyle makes the mile-long kill on the iraqi sniper....

clint shoulda made that a gut-shot with the scum writhing in pain for a minute before he expired.

patricia arquette and her silly ramblings about wage equality. this is why alotta people watch. to hear hilarious happy HS like that.

what does she, a rich 1% hollywood celeb have to do with wage equality?...

nuthin!

this is why some viewers will laugh.

the utter silliness of the level of self-importance that celebs will chronically attribute to themselves.

rich hollywood celebs fretting over wage equality?...

silly, silly people.

I guess receiving their statuettes makes some of them giddy.

maybe a film about hollywood celebrity life is in order...

stupidhood.

So, lemme see if I've gotten your point here, ND.

Are you sayin' here that after one gets REAL rich(and famous), that they're supposed to forget about and not have an opinion about the plight of those who can't afford a freakin' house in Beverly Hills(or Malibu)???

Wait! Maybe what you're sayin' here is that you're not fond of people interjecting their political beliefs into these sort'a things, eh?!

(...well, if it might be the LATTER thing, then yeah, I gotta say I kind'a AGREE with ya here, dude)

Don't worry, California makes sure that 1% pays their fair share from Hollywood, lol.

AND, as Jared Leto pointed out last night, that Meryl Streep is nominated for at LEAST one Oscar each and every year!

Funny line, that!

(...btw, and speakin' of Jared here...from the way he was lookin' last night, I wondered if the dude is currently filming and playing the lead in some kind'a remake of either "King of Kings" OR "The Greatest Story Ever Told"???...AND, if that IS the case, then let's just hope that the film isn't bein' directed by some WOMAN, eh ND???!!!)

LOL

Well, Jake ol' boy. Clint's movie's title DOES have the word "American" in it, now doesn't it?!

LOL

(...yeah, I figured all the "Good Ol' Boys" out there would get their freakin' noses out o' joint after Clint got shut out last night...yep, I'll bet ALL the freakin' AM radio blowhards are havin' a REAL field day with THIS this morning!!!)

LOL

Well, I've a hunch that if there was ever a time for Clint to enjoy a wildly warm and fuzzy feeling of vindication over a lack of recognition by the Hollywood establishment, this is it. His Gran Torino fell just a bit short of such perfectly backhanded poetic justice, so here it is: that eagerly awaited opportunity to give Clint the Empty Chair Interview treatment. But let no one think Clint Eastwood is not enjoying this. ;-) He so totally had to be sitting out there saying, quietly, between grit teeth, "Make my day." And they did. They felt . . . 'lucky'.

(...btw, and speakin' of Jared here...from the way he was lookin' last night, I wondered if the dude is currently filming and playing the lead in some kind'a remake of either "King of Kings" OR "The Greatest Story Ever Told"???

But from the neck down, he was all ready for a reboot of Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Really wish the orchestra had played Tequila so he could walk out on the tips of those white patent leather shoes- which, btw- should be impounded by the Fashion Police and sentenced to death before they can see the light of day once more.

Well, I've a hunch that if there was ever a time for Clint to enjoy a wildly warm and fuzzy feeling of vindication over a lack of recognition by the Hollywood establishment, this is it. His Gran Torino fell just a bit short of such perfectly backhanded poetic justice, so here it is: that eagerly awaited opportunity to give Clint the Empty Chair Interview treatment. But let no one think Clint Eastwood is not enjoying this. ;-) He was so totally sitting out there saying, quietly, between grit teeth, "Make my day." And they did. They felt . . . 'lucky'.

"Grand Torino"...good film, but not a GREAT one, Mac! Nope, Clint's masterpiece in MY book has always been his "Unforgiven".

(...and of which he was duly recognized by The Academy...remember?!)

Well, I've a hunch that if there was ever a time for Clint to enjoy a wildly warm and fuzzy feeling of vindication over a lack of recognition by the Hollywood establishment, this is it. His Gran Torino fell just a bit short of such perfectly backhanded poetic justice, so here it is: that eagerly awaited opportunity to give Clint the Empty Chair Interview treatment. But let no one think Clint Eastwood is not enjoying this. ;-) He so totally had to be sitting out there saying, quietly, between grit teeth, "Make my day." And they did. They felt . . . 'lucky'.

WHAT?!

The dude has won two directing Oscars, directed any number of actors to acting wins, and been nominated as an actor twice- all in spite (or maybe because of?) the fact that a majority of his directorial efforts have been utterly pedestrian and simplistic in their execution and quite a few have had some egregious stereotypes to boot.

(Mystic River and Unforgiven were awful BTW. )

PS- and I'm not even going to get into his personal life....oh wait, I just did. Whatever,

But from the neck down, he was all ready for a reboot of Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Really wish the orchestra had played Tequila so he could walk out on the tips of those white patent leather shoes- which, btw- should be impounded by the Fashion Police and sentenced to death before they can see the light of day once more.

Now c'mon, Lorna! Where is it written that all the GUYS have to wear some freakin' black tux and while all the GALS can wear anything and everything their little heart desires???

(...what?!...don't you believe in "gender equality" in this day and age??!!!) ;)

The dude has won two directing Oscars, directed any number of actors to acting wins, and been nominated as an actor twice- all in spite (or maybe because of?) the fact that a majority of his directorial efforts have been utterly pedestrian and simplistic in their execution and quite a few have had some egregious stereotypes to boot.

(Mystic River and Unforgiven were awful BTW. )

As you can probably tell from my previous use of the word "masterpiece" to describe my opinion about the latter of those two Eastwood films, I disagree with your opinion about THAT one here, Lorna. You see, especially in the genre of the Western, I've never found "Unforgiven" to be either "pedestrian" nor "simplistic", as what always struck me about this Eastwood film was the overall lack of simplistically drawn characters in it.

(...and of which Gene Hackman's portrayal of "Little Bill" I've always found to be one of THE best roles scripted and done in ANY Western...but then again I might be a little biased here, as Hackman has always been one of my favorite actors) 

As you can probably tell from my previous use of the word "masterpiece" to describe my opinion about the latter of those two Eastwood films, I disagree with your opinion about THAT one here, Lorna. You see, especially in the genre of the Western, I've never found "Unforgiven" to be either "pedestrian" nor "simplistic", as what always struck me about this Eastwood film was the overall lack of simplistically drawn characters in it.

(...and of which Gene Hackman's portrayal of "Little Bill" I've always found to be one of THE best roles scripted and done in ANY Western...but then again I might be a little biased here, as Hackman has always been one of my favorite actors) 

Well I beg to differ;  I found the characters in Unforgiven to be simplistically drawn characters with Little Bill being a campy version of the law of the west.   

LOL

LOL

So, lemme see if I've gotten your point here, ND.

Are you sayin' here that after one gets REAL rich(and famous), that they're supposed to forget about and not have an opinion about the plight of those who can't afford a freakin' house in Beverly Hills(or Malibu)???

Wait! Maybe what you're sayin' here is that you're not fond of people interjecting their political beliefs into these sort'a things, eh?!

(...well, if it might be the LATTER thing, then yeah, I gotta say I kind'a AGREE with ya here, dude)

no, what I am objecting to is an arrogant self-important celeb like patricia arquette thinkin' all she has to do is mention wage equality while she is getting her precious little oscar and believing that come tuesday all the politicians on capitol hill will fall to their knees and start chanting in unison "patricia arquette, patricia arquette, all winds down". :lol:

the american people have long tired of this annual display of self-importance taken to a level of obsurdity. when can we expect ms. arquette to give testimony before a congressional committee on wage inequality? :lol:

no, what I am objecting to is an arrogant self-important celeb like patricia arquette thinkin' all she has to do is mention wage equality while she is getting her precious little oscar and believing that come tuesday all the politicians on capitol hill will fall to their knees and start chanting in unison "patricia arquette, patricia arquette, all winds down". :lol:

the american people have long tired of this annual display of self-importance taken to a level of obsurdity. when can we expect ms. arquette to give testimony before a congressional committee on wage inequality? :lol:

The American people are tried of people claiming to represent the views of the American people.       

• Like 3

To be fair, it's been a long time since I've seen Unforgiven, and I trust your taste and judgement enough, that I'll back off 'til I see it again. I can still remember (it's funny the things we lock away in our minds) that the TV Listings in the paper's TV Guide (which was a lot more fair and accurate back in the nineties than it is now) gave it **1/2 stars out of four and I heartily agreed. 

(I'll also admit I was a little too harsh on Unforgiven, which (even though I don't care for it overall) is a very well-acted movie with Hackman deserving of his Oscar and Eastwood worthy of his Actor nomination.)

Mystic River, on the other hand, I saw not long ago and felt like it was a slightly better than average episode of Law and Order with an utterly, utterly awful ending.

• Like 1

thought it was a pretty good show. NPH an excellent host ( good as B. Crystal used to be)

Good opening, entertaining, funny & respected some classics. Nice memorial segment & not overshadowed by song. A bit of politics but nothing overzealous. Nice to hear Lady Gaga really can sing.

I agree. Neil Patrick Harris is the best Oscar host in a long, long, long time. 

(I admit I didn't watch the entire show  . . . I never do.)

And, yes, Stefani Germanotta (aka Lady Gaga) has a great singing voice.

• Like 1

"Grand Torino"...good film, but not a GREAT one, Mac! Nope, Clint's masterpiece in MY book has always been his "Unforgiven".

(...and of which he was duly recognized by The Academy...remember?!)

Right. That's what I think I was trying to say. It was not the perfect snub that this was. Clint needs to be the outlier. All this bourgeois acceptance is just too boring.

WHAT?!

The dude has won two directing Oscars . . .

Yes. That's the point. Too much acclaim. Too much glad-handing from the bourgeois cultural elite. He needed this. See my reply to Dargo.

And, yes, Stefani Germanotta (aka Lady Gaga) has a great singing voice.

You know, i've never really given Gaga (Oolala) much thought (I'm a bad gay) but i watched her performance of the "sound of music medley" and she shut. It. Down.

Best Oscar performance i have ever seen, and a game changer for her career.

any chance you can embed the video? Because I can't since I'm posting from my mobile...

Love that gesture she did with her hands at the end of her performance: it was like she was saying: "that's right b*****s, this is how you do it."

You know, i've never really given Gaga (Oolala) much thought (I'm a bad gay) but i watched her performance of the "sound of music medley" and she shut. It. Down.

Best Oscar performance i have ever seen, and a game changer for her career.

any chance you can embed the video? Because I can't since I'm posting from my mobile...

Love that gesture she did with her hands at the end of her performance: it was like she was saying: "that's right b*****s, this is how you do it."

I'm surprised.   It was my understanding the entire gay community loved Gaga,  even the bad gay members.  :lol:

But really, I play a duet with a gay piano player and we play jazz.    I can tell most of his friends don't like those old jazz songs.    I played Check to Check and they love that song because Gaga did it with Tony.     So from now I know what standards to play for the boys;    ones Gaga did!

The American people are tried of people claiming to represent the views of the American people.       

and is wage equality a more pressing issue on the minds of the american people these days then say....

decapitation? :)