Sign in to follow this  
kaslovesTCM

the Academy Awards

313 posts in this topic

and is wage equality a more pressing issue on the minds of the american people these days then say....

decapitation? :)

You still don't understand that there is no such thing as 'the American people' as it relates to having one POV about a topic.

Those that use the term are trying to imply that ALL Americans only have ONE POV on a topic.    Those people are fools.

You still don't understand that there is no such thing as 'the American people' as it relates to having one POV about a topic.

only sane and rational americans. gotcha! you can't really argue that wage equality is a more cutting edge issue than decapitation, can you?

point successfully made.

:D

You know, i've never really given Gaga (Oolala) much thought (I'm a bad gay) but i watched her performance of the "sound of music medley" and she shut. It. Down.

Best Oscar performance i have ever seen, and a game changer for her career.

any chance you can embed the video? Because I can't since I'm posting from my mobile...

Love that gesture she did with her hands at the end of her performance: it was like she was saying: "that's right b*****s, this is how you do it."

If only she hadn't fallen (almost) flat on that last note. It came out blaring at first like a big belch--but then she managed to get her vibrato kicked in to make the save. Other than that note, yes. If it's not too late to get trained, maybe she'll be doing  Die Fledermaus with the Met, this time next year. I won't say the same for the performance of NPH, which by my lights held no promise, being better suited to a one night musical wonder on Broadway or a Kenneth Anger film.

did we really need to see neil patrick harris' superman-like physique last nite?

"oh well, I guess women like that sort of thing." -fred ziffel

:D

strange. not a single oscar celeb touched on the recent decapitations and incinerations that are plaguing the civilized world. they live in a box out there? :D

I would prefer that celebrities at an award show don't touch on any political issues.   BUT it appears you are OK with them doing so as long as the issue being mentioned is an issue YOU approve of.      If anyone should go into a box it is you.

I would prefer that celebrities at an award show don't touch on any political issues.   BUT it appears you are OK with them doing so as long as the issue being mentioned is an issue YOU approve of.      If anyone should go into a box it is you.

I agree. they shouldn't interject their personal views at all...

but they did. :)

Lady Gaga was the highlight of the show....she sang great!

That Arquette "actress" who said a speech saying things about "equal pay" for women, made me laugh...especially when Meryl Creep and Jennifer Lopez stood up and were cheering.  Do you think any of these "poor" ladies ever donated any of their money to those working in fast food restaurants or Wal-Mart?

Lady Gaga was the highlight of the show....she sang great!

That Arquette "actress" who said a speech saying things about "equal pay" for women, made me laugh...especially when Meryl Creep and Jennifer Lopez stood up and were cheering.  Do you think any of these "poor" ladies ever donated any of their money to those working in fast food restaurants or Wal-Mart?

You don't know if they donate to charities or NOT,  by why do you assume they don't and make that nasty comment?

Anyhow the issue of equal pay was exposed as part of The Interview leaks where the former head of the film division admitted they try to low ball actresses.    Personally I think that is fine as long as a business tries to low ball everyone.

Well I beg to differ;  I found the characters in Unforgiven to be simplistically drawn characters with Little Bill being a campy version of the law of the west.   

Hmmmm funny, but I don't recall any other Western where some s n o t-nosed kid shoots and kills a guy in cold blood and then later on gets physically sick to his stomach over what he did, James. And that is just ONE of the little differences between Eastwood's film about the subject of retribution that I believe raises it over and above most Westerns ever made.

And Hackman "campy"??? You've GOT to be kiddin' me here! Hackman's Little Bill had SO many different facets to his personality that not ONLY was he NOT "simplistic" but I at least found him to be one of THE most complex characters to watch and be fascinated by in almost any film made in the last few decades, and regardless a film's genre.

(...aah, but I believe we're veering away from this thread's topic, aren't we)

Hmmmm funny, but I don't recall any other Western where some s n o t-nosed kid shoots and kills a guy in cold blood and then later on gets physically sick to his stomach over what he did, James. And that is just ONE of the little differences between Eastwood's film about the subject of retribution that I believe raises it over and above most Westerns ever made.

And Hackman "campy"??? You've GOT to be kiddin' me here! Hackman's Little Bill had SO many different facets to his personality that not ONLY was he NOT "simplistic" but I at least found him to be one of THE most complex characters to watch and be fascinated by in almost any film made in the last few decades, and regardless a film's genre.

(...aah, but I believe we're veering away from this thread's topic, aren't we)

I'm not kidding.   I'm not a fan of the film but it does have some good moments like when the Eastwood character interacts with the for hire ladies.     But I just don't like how the Little Bill character is drawn.   I could see what he was going to do next way before he did it. 

You know, i've never really given Gaga (Oolala) much thought (I'm a bad gay) but i watched her performance of the "sound of music medley" and she shut. It. Down.

Best Oscar performance i have ever seen, and a game changer for her career.

any chance you can embed the video? Because I can't since I'm posting from my mobile...

Love that gesture she did with her hands at the end of her performance: it was like she was saying: "that's right b*****s, this is how you do it."

By your request, LHF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlplpA6oPMc

The picture quality is not the best, but this is the only video with the complete performance I can find.

Rah Rah Ah Ah Ah . . .

• Like 1

You don't know if they donate to charities or NOT,  by why do you assume they don't and make that nasty comment?

Anyhow the issue of equal pay was exposed as part of The Interview leaks where the former head of the film division admitted they try to low ball actresses.    Personally I think that is fine as long as a business tries to low ball everyone.

I don't feel sorry for these "poor" actresses who make millions of dollars for a single film.  Sorry.   Sure, they might very well donate to charities - point well taken.   But I am more concerned with "equal pay" for the little guy - those working in Wal-Mart, fast food places, and punching time clocks and I highly doubt that when Streep and Lopez got up clapping away, they weren't thinking of the "little guy" one bit.   And from the reviews I read and heard, this Arquette's speech turning political about equal pay for women was not met with high approval ratings.

I don't feel sorry for these "poor" actresses who make millions of dollars for a single film.  Sorry.   Sure, they might very well donate to charities - point well taken.   But I am more concerned with "equal pay" for the little guy - those working in Wal-Mart, fast food places, and punching time clocks and I highly doubt that when Streep and Lopez got up clapping away, they weren't thinking of the "little guy" one bit.     And from the reviews I read and heard, this Arquette's speech turning political about equal pay for women was not met with high approval ratings.

I thought Lady Gaga was brilliant; but I have to confess, I'm not a fan of the film. Simplicity for me, here is the definitive, elegant, original, most beautiful version, sung by the great Mary Martin:

Since some posters are discussing Eastwood's The Unforgiven so I thought I'd throw my two cents worth into the discussion, as well.

I first saw it years ago and COULDN"T STAND IT!, regarding it as a nasty excessive piece of violence.

Then I took second look at it about eight months ago, and walked away with a renewed respect for Eastwood as a filmmaker. Now I "get" it, this poignant western about the effect that violence has on the lives of men.

And the performances, Eastwood, Richard Harris and, above all, the magnificent Gene Hackman, who fully deserved his Oscar with his in-depth portrayal, add so much to the richness of this classic.

I can't remember the last time I had such a 180 degree reversal of opinion on a film. It made me make a point of seeing Gran Torino and Million Dollar Baby, both of which I also admired, though the latter becomes simply unbearably depressing for me in its final chapters.

On a side note about last night's Oscars, the highlight of the show for me was Lady Gaga. What a magnificent voice that lady possesses. It was nice to see her doing such a splendid tribute to what many would consider old fashioned material. Also great to see Julie Andrews' genuine appreciation of her performance, as well. It was almost as if Andrews was indicating that it was great to see a singer of the modern generation doing justice to the music that had been such a phenominal hit for her half a century ago.

• Like 1

the highlight of the show for me was Lady Gaga. What a magnificent voice that lady possesses. It was nice to see her doing such a splendid tribute to what many would consider old fashioned material. Also great to see Julie Andrews' genuine appreciation of her performance, as well. It was almost as if Andrews was indicating that it was great to see a singer of the modern generation doing justice to the music that had been such a phenominal hit for her half a century ago.

I love Lady Gaga and I love musicals so her performance was the highlight of the Oscars for me too. To be honest though awards shows bore me tremendously so I really only watched at all because of her performance.

The Sound Of Music is not my favorite Julie Andrews musical----that would probably be Victoria/Victoria or maybe Mary Poppins ---- but the songs from The Sound of Music are beautiful. One article I read said Gaga sang "Do-Re-Mi" as part of the tribute, but I didn't hear that song sung on the show or in the videos that have been posted.

Barbra Streisand has said she is strongly considering Gaga for the role of Louise/Gypsy Rose Lee in the movie adaptation of Gypsy she hopes to make with Barbra playing Mama Rose . . .if the movie ever gets made. Barbra has been trying to get that movie into production for a few years now. I think there are some rights issues holding it up. Not sure if Stephen Sondheim is part of that.

Anyway I think Gaga as Louise would be excellent casting.

Some have said that Barbra is too old to play Mama Rose and in terms of her chronological years I guess they are right. But I liked Barbra's response when a reporter brought that up. She said, "How old do I look?" And she's right. With a movie or even a live performance it's more about how old you look than how old you are.

I think Barbra wants her movie "swan song" (in terms of acting not producing or directing) to be a Jule Styne musical since her first movie was the Jule Styne musical Funny Girl.

I got lucky Sunday night.  I was watching basketball games and the Academy Awards.  I was fortunate to switch on the Oscars whenever winners were announced...then I skipped the acceptance speeches!  Overall, I thought the show was fine, even though it did run over about 40 minutes.  I too was impressed with Lady Gaga singing "The Sound of Music"; she looked so....normal!  I thought Neil Patrick Harris did a good job as host.  I really liked the maroon-colored tux jacket he was sporting.  Most women will say men look more handsome and sophisticated in a tuxedo.  I find them to be mostly boring if everyone's wearing the classic black and white look.  A little color is just fine with me, although pastel colors are OUT...reminds me too much of those God-awful leisure suits I wore in the 70's!

I agree.  Lady Gaga was terrific last night.   This will reinvent her career.  She really has a great singing voice and doesn't need all that kooky schtick.

This is nice to see.  For a change.  There was a schocky PC schtick-fest, and a bit of art broke out.

Guess I'm the only one here who doesn't like Lady Gaga.

In fact, I hate Lady Gaga. ( well, not personally, I don't wish her any ill, or anything like that...)

I'm actually kind of surprised not one other person here doesn't like her, and was not impressed with her performance last night.

Ok, she wasn't bad...but she wasn't nearly as good as everyone here has been saying, either. I think the only reason people are saying how "good" she was is because she wasn't being excessively weird and wearing a dress made out of meat or anything like that. It's just, in comparison to what she's usually like, she was ok.

But my opinion here isn't entirely based on anti- Gaga sentiment. I was annoyed by the whole "Let's Celebrate the Sound of Music" thing.

What with the series of clips from the film, the Lady Gaga medley, and the Julie Andrews tribute, the love for SOM must have taken up a good 10-15 minutes or so in an already long show.

I don't mind The Sound of Music, I even kind of like it ( although not with the fervour some fans harbour for it), and I respect Julie Andrews and can see why she'd be honoured for her role in it on its 50th anniversary.

But to accord a significant portion of the evening's schedule to this one film that wasn't that great really irritated me, and Lady GG's contribution only exacerbated my feeling that far too much time was being spent on this tribute.

I cannot understand why anyone would genuinely like this person as a musical artist. She's more about image than music, and even her turn last night was like another foray into just trying out yet one more persona (like , "normal".) Her singing is fine, but her "songs" are rubbish. (Of course, not including the tunes from TSOM.)

As for the clips they showed from this film, I think it would have been a better idea, if they're going to show clips from films (which they should), to do it with the movies that have been nominated for Best Picture, something they used to do routinely but have abandoned in recent years. Guess to make room for emotional homages to older films that have nothing to do with the business of the evening.

• Like 2

I don't feel sorry for these "poor" actresses who make millions of dollars for a single film.  Sorry.   Sure, they might very well donate to charities - point well taken.   But I am more concerned with "equal pay" for the little guy - those working in Wal-Mart, fast food places, and punching time clocks and I highly doubt that when Streep and Lopez got up clapping away, they weren't thinking of the "little guy" one bit.     And from the reviews I read and heard, this Arquette's speech turning political about equal pay for women was not met with high approval ratings.

how many of these hollywood celebs so endlessly empathetic to the ills and injustices of the world demonstrated their selfless and noble support for green energy by traveling to the awards in electric cars? :lol:

qq7dsm.jpg

NipKowDisc, while we're on the topic of awards, I'm alloting you the award for Most Irrelevant and Pointless Posts for the first quarter of 2015.