Sign in to follow this  
kaslovesTCM

the Academy Awards

313 posts in this topic

NipKowDisc, while we're on the topic of awards, I'm alloting you the award for Most Irrelevant and Pointless Posts for the first quarter of 2015.

thank you. :)

Also the award for Heaviest Use of Emoticons.

Here you go.

:)   :P  :D  :lol:   :angry:   :huh:   :o  <_<  :wacko:  :blink:

I'm sure an Oscar-like statuette resembling these emoticons could be fashioned somehow, if it hasn't been done already.

Also the award for Heaviest Use of Emoticons.

Here you go.

I'm sure an Oscar-like statuette resembling these emoticons could be fashioned somehow, if it hasn't been done already.

no better way to project one's beneficence. :)

Guess I'm the only one here who doesn't like Lady Gaga.

In fact, I hate Lady Gaga. ( well, not personally, I don't wish her any ill, or anything like that...)

I'm actually kind of surprised not one other person here doesn't like her, and was not impressed with her performance last night.

Ok, she wasn't bad...but she wasn't nearly as good as everyone here has been saying, either. I think the only reason people are saying how "good" she was is because she wasn't being excessively weird and wearing a dress made out of meat or anything like that. It's just, in comparison to what she's usually like, she was ok.

But my opinion here isn't entirely based on anti- Gaga sentiment. I was annoyed by the whole "Let's Celebrate the Sound of Music" thing.

What with the series of clips from the film, the Lady Gaga medley, and the Julie Andrews tribute, the love for SOM must have taken up a good 10-15 minutes or so in an already long show.

I don't mind The Sound of Music, I even kind of like it ( although not with the fervour some fans harbour for it), and I respect Julie Andrews and can see why she'd be honoured for her role in it on its 50th anniversary.

But to accord a significant portion of the evening's schedule to this one film that wasn't that great really irritated me, and Lady GG's contribution only exacerbated my feeling that far too much time was being spent on this tribute.

I cannot understand why anyone would genuinely like this person as a musical artist. She's more about image than music, and even her turn last night was like another foray into just trying out yet one more persona (like , "normal".) Her singing is fine, but her "songs" are rubbish. (Of course, not including the tunes from TSOM.)

As for the clips they showed from this film, I think it would have been a better idea, if they're going to show clips from films (which they should), to do it with the movies that have been nominated for Best Picture, something they used to do routinely but have abandoned in recent years. Guess to make room for emotional homages to older films that have nothing to do with the business of the evening.

Yeah, that and I read that she's supposedly singing songs with Tony Bennett now.  Not sure where that's going to end up, but it cannot be all that bad.  That can only get a newer generation interested in the kind of pop music we had.

no better way to project one's beneficence. :)

And you also merit a third award for Good Nature.  (or at least remaining serene in the face of snark.)

I confess to not being a fan of Lady Gaga, although the Sound of Music medley was a breath of fresh air after the seemingly endless Lego song.  However, I did learn that Nobel Prizes and string (or maybe they meant string theory?) are both "awesome," and presumably equal.  I'm still reeling from that revelation.  

Then tonight I read that Lady Gaga spent a whooping six months of daily preparation with a vocal coach for her Oscar performance  She damn well better have been good!  

Since some posters are discussing Eastwood's The Unforgiven so I thought I'd throw my two cents worth into the discussion, as well.

I first saw it years ago and COULDN"T STAND IT!, regarding it as a nasty excessive piece of violence.

Then I took second look at it about eight months ago, and walked away with a renewed respect for Eastwood as a filmmaker. Now I "get" it, this poignant western about the effect that violence has on the lives of men.

And the performances, Eastwood, Richard Harris and, above all, the magnificent Gene Hackman, who fully deserved his Oscar with his in-depth portrayal, add so much to the richness of this classic.

I can't remember the last time I had such a 180 degree reversal of opinion on a film. It made me make a point of seeing Gran Torino and Million Dollar Baby, both of which I also admired, though the latter becomes simply unbearably depressing for me in its final chapters.

On a side note about last night's Oscars, the highlight of the show for me was Lady Gaga. What a magnificent voice that lady possesses. It was nice to see her doing such a splendid tribute to what many would consider old fashioned material. Also great to see Julie Andrews' genuine appreciation of her performance, as well. It was almost as if Andrews was indicating that it was great to see a singer of the modern generation doing justice to the music that had been such a phenominal hit for her half a century ago.

Sorry, for me Unforgiven is not something I'll pop into the DVD player on a regular basis, Eastwood is a good pedestrian director but he's not brilliant, not on a level with say Sergio Leone  whose direction I can watch over & over again, the last 20 minutes are good granted, but there is still something lacking for me anyway, I know it when I see it and I don't see it.

Do this little test, imagine replacing Eastwood's character with another actor, and see how it holds up. With Eastwood half the production is carried by the cachet of the "Man With No Name" persona built up over his career, we know no matter how much pig **** he lays in that at some point the "Man With No Name" will appear.

Sorry, for me Unforgiven is not something I'll pop into the DVD player on a regular basis, Eastwood is a good pedestrian director but he's not brilliant, not on a level with say Sergio Leone  whose direction I can watch over & over again, the last 20 minutes are good granted, but there is still something lacking for me anyway, I know it when I see it and I don't see it.

Do this little test, imagine replacing Eastwood's character with another actor, and see how it holds up. With Eastwood half the production is carried by the cachet of the "Man With No Name" persona built up over his career, we know no matter how much pig **** he lays in that at some point the "Man With No Name" will appear.

But The Unforgiven deals with the subject of how much violence changes men's lives, Cigarjoe. There's no romance here or glamour, no attempt to make the violence anything but squalid (one man shot to death while sitting on the can) or repulsive (another having an agonizing exit after being gut shot by Eastwood). The violence is what it is, Eastwood tells us, and what it is is damn ugly. Okay, okay, I know that's not a sudden news bulletin to any of us but The Unforgiven has, for me, a greater impact with this message in the form of a western (usually a romantic action genre on screen) than most.

I've never been a fan of either Eastwood or those Leone westerns (in fact, I avoid the latter, for the most part). The Unforgiven speaks a truth about violence and how it impacts those who participate in it that I appreciate. And the performances in the film: Eastwood, a limited actor, admittedly, is perfect type casting in the lead, but then there's Morgan Freeman, Richard Harris and the brilliance of Gene Hackman.

Hackman's complex character is a man who truly believes in bringing law and order to his town, even if he has to be an intimidating brute and a bit of a **** to achieve it. He's a nasty article but the kind of tough character that must have populated the West, I figure. Hackman also brings a good ol' boy charm to the part, at times, though, underneath that seemingly affable fascade, there's a rattlesnake if you enrage him. Loved, loved, loved Hackman in this film. He's worth the price of admission alone, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I agree with everything you just said, Tom. I rate Unforgiven very highly, for the reasons you gave and a few others.

People who dismiss it as typical Eastwood shoot 'em up violence have either not seen the film at all, just made assumptions about it, or not watched it very carefully.

(Actually, many if not most of Eastwood's films are about more than shoot  'em up violence. This is a misconception about him.)

By the way - a mere quibble, agreed - I think the name of the film we're discussing is simply Unforgiven, without the "The".  The reason I think this matters is,  there's somehow a difference, albeit pretty nuanced, between saying "The Unforgiven" and "Unforgiven". 

(A difference I'm afraid I don't have time to go into right now, but would be happy to discuss later, if you like.)

TheGayDivorcee wrote:

"Then tonight I read that Lady Gaga spent a whooping six months of daily preparation with a vocal coach for her Oscar performance  She damn well better have been good!  "

That just proves that she's not really much of a singer. I mean, maybe if we were talking opera there'd be a need for  such training. But this was simply a medley of some tunes from a popular musical. (Good tunes - probably had more melody and chord changes than Lady G. was used to.

Edit: Sorry, somehow I messed up the original post here, and did not make it clear that it was TheGayDivorcee who wrote the first part.

Eastwood's 'Unforgiven' ranks very high with me. Very. I can't think of any better western than that.

The torment of not being able to forget what a monster a man can be has seldom been better - or more chillingly - portrayed. As Will Munny continually slips into the remembrances of his past when speaking with his partner, it becomes clear just how unrelentingly haunted he is.

As he lays dying of fever - "I saw the devil, Ned. He's got snakes eyes. Oh, Ned - don't tell no one - don't tell my kids - none of the things I done."

A truly great American movie.

• Like 3

...Then tonight I read that Lady Gaga spent a whooping six months of daily preparation with a vocal coach for her Oscar performance  She damn well better have been good!  

That just proves that she's not really much of a singer. I mean, maybe if we were talking opera there'd be a need for such training. But this was simply a medley of some tunes from a popular musical. (Good tunes - probably had more melody and chord changes than Lady G. was used to.)

By the way - a mere quibble, agreed - I think the name of the film we're discussing is simply Unforgiven, without the "The".  The reason I think this matters is,  there's somehow a difference, albeit pretty nuanced, between saying "The Unforgiven" and "Unforgiven". 

(A difference I'm afraid I don't have time to go into right now, but would be happy to discuss later, if you like.)

Point taken, MissW. Not trying to sidetrack this discussion by mentioning that TCM occasionally shows John Huston's The Unforgiven, an unfairly neglected 1960 Burt Lancaster-Audrey Hepburn western, that is also well worth viewing. In this case, however, the "The" is definitely part of the title. The film deals with racism and, believe it or not, has a very effective performance by Audie Murphy.

And you also merit a third award for Good Nature.  (or at least remaining serene in the face of snark.)

I appreciate that, misswonderlytoo, anybody can take any shot they want at me as long as it doesn't violate forum rules.

I be the last guy to take me self too seriously. :)

Then tonight I read that Lady Gaga spent a whooping six months of daily preparation with a vocal coach for her Oscar performance  She damn well better have been good!  

That just proves that she's not really much of a singer. I mean, maybe if we were talking opera there'd be a need for  such training. But this was simply a medley of some tunes from a popular musical. (Good tunes - probably had more melody and chord changes than Lady G. was used to.

Actually Gaga had been getting a LOT of good reviews of her duets with TONY BENNETT, which ARE rather good.

Plus, I thought HER performance was MUCH easier on the ears than whatever that was ADAM LEVINE was torturing us with! 

All night long, it seemed that each successive 'song" from some movie that was presented was working hard to try to "outsuck" the previous song.  But, NONE of them came close to "outsucking" both the song AND performance offered by LEVINE!

DId anyone notice Lizabeth Scott was left out of the memorial??? (dont want to scroll though this long thread, so if its been posted, sorry!) i recorded the show, but only zipped through to see the major awards after. Unsure if I'll even watch it now.

DId anyone notice Lizabeth Scott was left out of the memorial??? (dont want to scroll though this long thread, so if its been posted, sorry!) i recorded the show, but only zipped through to see the major awards after. Unsure if I'll even watch it now.

Yep, I noticed that, Hibi. And considering they did include Louis Jourdan in it and who died a couple of weeks after Lizabeth did, I especially thought it a blaring oversight.

Yep, I noticed that, Hibi. And considering they did include Louis Jourdan in it and who died a couple of weeks after Lizabeth did, I especially thought it a blaring oversight.

Well you answered my question before I had to ask it;  Since 'time to make changes' can't be used as an excuse,  it was a blaring oversight to leave out Lizabeth Scott.      Shame on them.

It happens EVERY year. I read a story a few years ago, that people have to lobby the Academy to get people in the memoriam. I guess no one lobbied for her or not enough. I assume big stars dont have to be lobbied........

If they cut the pointless singing during or after the pictures, they'd have time for everyone.

Well you answered my question before I had to ask it;  Since 'time to make changes' can't be used as an excuse,  it was a blaring oversight to leave out Lizabeth Scott.      Shame on them.

Hmmmm...I wonder if because they DID show Lauren Bacall's passing, if maybe they felt they had presented all the recently deceased sultry husky-voiced actresses they needed to in it???

;)

It happens EVERY year. I read a story a few years ago, that people have to lobby the Academy to get people in the memoriam. I guess no one lobbied for her or not enough. I assume big stars dont have to be lobbied........

If they cut the pointless singing during or after the pictures, they'd have time for everyone.

Yeah, but isn't it "just grand" that they never seem to forget all the sound engineers and film editors who have kicked the bucket within the last 12 months???

(...and who you and I, as Sheldon Leonard says as Nick the Bartender in a particular Christmas perennial, wouldn't know "from Adam's off ox"?!!!) 

LOL

Yeah, but isn't it "just grand" that they never seem to forget all the sound engineers and film editors who have kicked the bucket within the last 12 months???

(...and who you and I, as Sheldon Leonard says as Nick the Bartender in a particular Christmas perennial, wouldn't know "from Adam's off ox"?!!!) 

LOL

Yeah, no kidding......

Unfortunately it sounds like everything has to be lobbied for, the wheels all have to be greased.

Now why bring Congress into this, MM???!!!

;)

I didn't watch the Oscars, but my spinning instructor played some of the Oscar-nominated songs in class yesterday.  About as memorable as LISTENING to paint dry.