Sign in to follow this  
kaslovesTCM

the Academy Awards

313 posts in this topic

I didn't watch the Oscars, but my spinning instructor played some of the Oscar-nominated songs in class yesterday.  About as memorable as LISTENING to paint dry.

Yeah maybe, but I'll bet you REALLY got a good workout while spinning to that frenetic "Everything Is Awesome" song from "The Lego Movie", now didn't ya DGF???

(...btw...why does one need a "spinning instructor" anyway?...sittin' on a stationary bicycle and pedaling it around and around requires an "instructor" WHY exactly, HUH?!...I mean, is there a way to do that sort'a thing WRONG or somethin'???!!!)

LOL

I didn't watch the Oscars, but my spinning instructor played some of the Oscar-nominated songs in class yesterday.  About as memorable as LISTENING to paint dry.

The days of classic movie song writing are long over. Or any classic song writing as far as that goes. Nowadays we get All About Da Bass...........

Yeah maybe, but I'll bet you REALLY got a good workout while spinning to that frenetic "Everything Is Awesome" song from "The Lego Movie", now didn't ya DGF???

(...btw...why does one need a "spinning instructor" anyway?...sittin' on a stationary bicycle and pedaling it around and around requires an "instructor" WHY exactly, HUH?!...I mean, is there a way to do that sort'a thing WRONG or somethin'???!!!)

LOL

Maybe its like a cheerleader??? (LOL).......

He must have kept his pants on, lol.

The days of classic movie song writing are long over. Or any classic song writing as far as that goes. Nowadays we get All About Da Bass...........

Yeah Hibi, and I knew THAT shark had DEFINITELY been jumped when "It's Hard Out There For A Pimp" took home the Oscar in this category ten years ago!

(...though I'll bet that sucker MIGHT make a pretty good ditty to pedal a stationary bike to, what with its strong Hip-Hop beat and all, ya know!) ;)

Guess I'm the only one here who doesn't like Lady Gaga.

In fact, I hate Lady Gaga. ( well, not personally, I don't wish her any ill, or anything like that...)

I cannot understand why anyone would genuinely like this person as a musical artist. She's more about image than music, and even her turn last night was like another foray into just trying out yet one more persona (like , "normal".) Her singing is fine, but her "songs" are rubbish. (Of course, not including the tunes from TSOM.)

With all due respect, misswonderly, (and I do mean that genuinely because I like you, I really like you), Lady Gaga is as much about the music as the image, and her songs are not rubbish (how mean!)  

Some people are talking about her work with Tony Bennett as if this kind of music is new for her, but Lady Gaga has always performed acoustic, jazz-styled versions of her songs in concert and during appearances on television and radio. A few years ago someone was raving to me about this new, young torch singer that he had seen and heard on a television show. When he described the song I informed him that the song was "Poker Face" and the torch singer was none other than Lady Gaga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f-5vNhZOXM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laIr_d0hFB8

LOL

It's not the "instruction". It's the vibe from a good "instructor", and competing with the other riders (and the instructor). Just pedaling a stationary bike is about as exciting as WATCHING paint dry.

Guess I'm the only one here who doesn't like Lady Gaga.

In fact, I hate Lady Gaga. ( well, not personally, I don't wish her any ill, or anything like that...)

I'm actually kind of surprised not one other person here doesn't like her, and was not impressed with her performance last night.

Ok, she wasn't bad...but she wasn't nearly as good as everyone here has been saying, either. I think the only reason people are saying how "good" she was is because she wasn't being excessively weird and wearing a dress made out of meat or anything like that. It's just, in comparison to what she's usually like, she was ok.

But my opinion here isn't entirely based on anti- Gaga sentiment. I was annoyed by the whole "Let's Celebrate the Sound of Music" thing.

What with the series of clips from the film, the Lady Gaga medley, and the Julie Andrews tribute, the love for SOM must have taken up a good 10-15 minutes or so in an already long show.

I don't mind The Sound of Music, I even kind of like it ( although not with the fervour some fans harbour for it), and I respect Julie Andrews and can see why she'd be honoured for her role in it on its 50th anniversary.

But to accord a significant portion of the evening's schedule to this one film that wasn't that great really irritated me, and Lady GG's contribution only exacerbated my feeling that far too much time was being spent on this tribute.

I cannot understand why anyone would genuinely like this person as a musical artist. She's more about image than music, and even her turn last night was like another foray into just trying out yet one more persona (like , "normal".) Her singing is fine, but her "songs" are rubbish. (Of course, not including the tunes from TSOM.)

As for the clips they showed from this film, I think it would have been a better idea, if they're going to show clips from films (which they should), to do it with the movies that have been nominated for Best Picture, something they used to do routinely but have abandoned in recent years. Guess to make room for emotional homages to older films that have nothing to do with the business of the evening.

Did you ever hear me say that I liked the "Gaga-er"?

It's not the "instruction". It's the vibe from a good "instructor", and competing with the other riders (and the instructor). Just pedaling a stationary bike is about as exciting as WATCHING paint dry.

Okay, but ya know it's a lot LESS boring IF you're riding an actual bicycle and watching the scenery go by while doin' it.

(...oh...wait...THAT'S right...you live in Philadelphia and where it's, what, like 10 degrees outside today???...never mind...I suppose I can now see why you'd be INSIDE some gym doin' that...yep, probably a smart move, alright!!!)

LOL

Okay, but ya know it's a lot LESS boring IF you're riding an actual bicycle and watching the scenery go by while doin' it.

(...oh...wait...THAT'S right...you live in Philadelphia and where it's, what, like 10 degrees outside today???...never mind...I suppose I can now see why you'd be INSIDE some gym doin' that...yep, probably a smart move, alright!!!)

LOL

It wasnt even ZERO in the NE this morning. :(

With all due respect, misswonderly, (and I do mean that genuinely because I like you, I really like you), Lady Gaga is as much about the music as the image, and her songs are not rubbish (how mean!)  

Some people are talking about her work with Tony Bennett as if this kind of music is new for her, but Lady Gaga has always performed acoustic, jazz-styled versions of her songs in concert and during appearances on television and radio. A few years ago someone was raving to me about this new, young torch singer that he had seen and heard on a television show. When he described the song I informed him that the song was "Poker Face" and the torch singer was none other than Lady Gaga.

Yep, or as my wife says about LG..."It's too bad such a talented performer had to resort to all this outlandish showmanship in order for her to get recognized."

(...and I began to agree with the Mrs. after I caught her on her first SNL appearance)

It wasnt even ZERO in the NE this morning. :(

Well Hibi, as I always said to myself every January when Northwest Airlines would send this L.A. boy here to Minneapolis for a three day yearly required airline security training seminar, and as I'd step out of the MSP airport to get on my shuttle bus to the hotel:

"HOW and WHY in hell do you people around here put up with this freakin' kind'a weather for months on end every freakin' winter, and when there are so many OTHER places in this great country of ours to live that are much more 'climate friendly'???!!!" 

(...nope, and no offense, but I JUST could never figure that out...hell, if it RAINED more than three days in row in L.A. I'd start to get 'cabin fever'!!!)

Yes, I'm glad at least I dont live in Minnesota. I saw a low there of 44 below someplace a week ago.......

I havent left the house on a weekend in I dont know how long. If I didnt have to work, I doubt I'd leave the house at all, unless the fridge and cupboards were bare.......

I thought this was a pretty incisive article in today's NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/24/movies/awardsseason/oscars-show-growing-gap-between-moviegoers-and-academy.html

However, I see why the Academy nominates lesser known (but, hopefully better quality) films 

for Best Picture.  More to the point is the problem that, unlike in the days of the studio system, there is now generally an insurmountable gap between critically acclaimed films  --  you know  --  films that actually have a plot and there is some acting going on  --  and blockbusters.  Hard to justify giving the Best Picture award to "(Insert Comic Book Hero Name Here) Sequel #5."

Lydecker

I thought this was a pretty incisive article in today's NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/24/movies/awardsseason/oscars-show-growing-gap-between-moviegoers-and-academy.html

However, I see why the Academy nominates lesser known (but, hopefully better quality) films 

for Best Picture.  More to the point is the problem that, unlike in the days of the studio system, there is now generally an insurmountable gap between critically acclaimed films  --  you know  --  films that actually have a plot and there is some acting going on  --  and blockbusters.  Hard to justify giving the Best Picture award to "(Insert Comic Book Hero Name Here) Sequel #5."

Lydecker

I think the article from my home town paper is not terribly interesting.  The Oscars are supposed to be about artistic merit, not about awarding the most popular, highest-grossing films. We can argue about our definitions of artistic merit, but the winners reflect the Academy voters "best" standards, for better or worse.  I think Boyhood should have won; I take some consolation in the fact that Michael Keaton didn't win. But that's just my opinion.

In terms of fewer people watching the Oscars, I think that's because the show has become more lame then ever. What right-minded person would watch the Academy Awards when the penultimate episode of Downton Abbey was on? I watched a few minutes of the Oscars after "Downton" was over, but the Oscar show was so bad I switched it off.

Well, the show has become more of an extremely boring fashion show than an awards ceremony as

far as I am concerned.  The network (and the show producers) are just dying to make it "relevant" to the 18-35 demo (Wow  -- We can say "selfie" and "tweet"  --  aren't we cool here at the Academy?!) but that demo could care less about the Oscars, whoever hosts it. Frankly, I'm out of that demo and I could care less about the Oscars. 

More to the point of the article, when you haven't seen the movie yet --  because sometimes it takes a long, long time for independent films to make their way from NY/LA to the smaller metro areas ("Still Alice" just opened in Pittsburgh last weekend, for instance) it is impossible to care who wins at the Oscars.

Lydecker

that demo could care less about the Oscars, whoever hosts it. Frankly, I'm out of that demo and I could care less about the Oscars. 

Frankly, anyone who actually cares about the Oscars is just silly.

Excluding those who stand to make money from them. Their care is understandable.

I think the article from my home town paper is not terribly interesting.  The Oscars are supposed to be about artistic merit, not about awarding the most popular, highest-grossing films. We can argue about our definitions of artistic merit, but the winners reflect the Academy voters "best" standards, for better or worse.  I think Boyhood should have won; I take some consolation in the fact that Michael Keaton didn't win. But that's just my opinion.

In terms of fewer people watching the Oscars, I think that's because the show has become more lame then ever. What right-minded person would watch the Academy Awards when the penultimate episode of Downton Abbey was on? I watched a few minutes of the Oscars after "Downton" was over, but the Oscar show was so bad I switched it off.

I think the ratings may be in the toilet this year. Not due to the host (I havent watched the show yet) but due to most of the nominees (and now the winner) being little seen by the public and not likely to be seen despite the the Oscar win (Birdman, which I havent seen) which may turn out to be the lowest grossing Oscar winner in many decades.......

Even with the expanded best picture category, few very financially successful films make the cut (which was the Academy's intention in the first place to improve ratings!)

Frankly, anyone who actually cares about the Oscars is just silly.

Excluding those who stand to make money from them. Their care is understandable.

Right on target.   e.g.  The Birdman producers are launching an advertising campaign now that they have won many of the major awards and since the film didn't do that well at the box office.

From outrageous shtick to Great American songbook duets with

octogenarian shtick to Sound of Music medley shtick. Zzzzzzzzz.

BTDT. :)

WHY were they singing a Sound of Music medley?? Was it an anniversary year or something? Do they have to do a salute each year to a movie?? (Last year was the Wizard of Oz....)

EDIR???

YEAH, MAN, EDIR. WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM???!!!

(Joke- I meant to write "edit" because the whole post was a mess and I just deleted it because there was no saving it.)

It was in reference, however, to your Lizabeth Scott observation. Someone on gawker.com, which is a very popular, trendy news/gossip site mentioned the Scott slight in the comments on one of their Oscar articles and went on to pretty much say what a crime it was (as various other posters asked "who?")

clearly a classic fan (and someone who i almost suspect posts here)- the writer went on to cite how Peggy Lee was left off the "In Memorium" tribute the year SHE died, in spite of having been a supporting actress nominee. Apparently The Academy addressed the slight publicly by saying that it felt Lee was "no longer relevant."

That is some shady sh*t (if it is true, and I really want to believe it isn't.)

Joan Rivers was also left off and some people are annoyed about that too.

(i think they need to just scrap the "in memorium" segment altogether.)

• Like 1

YEAH, MAN, EDIR. WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM???!!!

(Joke- I meant to write "edit" because the whole post was a mess and I just deleted it because there was no saving it.

It was in reference, however, to your Lizabeth Scott observation. Someone on gawker.com, whic is a very popular, trendy news/gossip site mentioned the Scott slight in the comments on one of their Oscar articles and went on to pretty much say what a slight it was.

(and I agree.)

clearly a classic fan (and someone who i almost suspect posts here)- the writer went on to cite how Peggy Lee was left off the "In Memorium" tribute the years SHE died, in spite of having been a supporting actress nominee. Apparently The Academy addressed the slight by saying that it felt Lee was "no longer relevant."

That is some shady sh*t.

Joan Rivers was also left off and some people are annoyed about that too.

(i think they need to just scrap the "in memorium" segment altogether.)

LOL. I thought maybe it was an abbreviation I wasnt aware of. I cant keep track of all of them! I can understand Joan Rivers more than Scott. Joan's  connection to films was slight (aside from her Red Carpet appearances) There'd be plenty of time to cover everybody if they cut the boring crap they use as filler in the shows.......They already cut the honorary Oscars. Still not enough time?????