Sign in to follow this  
kaslovesTCM

the Academy Awards

313 posts in this topic

I know, I can't believe they cut the Honorary Awards from the telecast.

And every time I see that commercial that's running on TCM this month where the guy on the Governor's Board explains how it's a great thing that they have their own ceremony for the Honorary Awards,  because basically no one was interested in watching it during the broadcast, both my middle fingers go up and stay up 'til it's over.

• Like 3

There'd be plenty of time to cover everybody if they cut the boring crap they use as filler in the shows.

i don't think "filler" is quite the mot just, it's more like moments of self-fellation that pop up amid the four-and-a-half-hour-long circclejerk that the show has devolved into.

Like last year, when they had the 30 minute tribute to movie musicals that NO ONE asked for halfway through the show which prominently featured many numbers from Chicago performed by the stars of the 2002 movie.

I'm sure that it's just a coincidence that the producers of that year's show had also produced the film version of Chicago.

(That took some effin' GALL on their part, but what is it they say about why a dog licks himself?.)

• Like 1

WHY were they singing a Sound of Music medley?? Was it an anniversary year or something? Do they have to do a salute each year to a movie?? (Last year was the Wizard of Oz....)

It's the 50th anniversary of The Sound of Music

It's the 50th anniversary of The Sound of Music

Thanks for the info.  Makes sense.   So next year we can expect to hear Born Free I guess.    ;)  

Note that based on the comments here many people wish the Academy would do more during the telecast to honor 'old' Hollywood,  but when the Academy does so there are still naysayers.    

Hey.  When you have appear on stage in your underwear to move the show along, you know you're

in trouble.

Lydecker

I think the ratings may be in the toilet this year. Not due to the host (I havent watched the show yet) but due to most of the nominees (and now the winner) being little seen by the public and not likely to be seen despite the the Oscar win (Birdman, which I havent seen) which may turn out to be the lowest grossing Oscar winner in many decades.......

Even with the expanded best picture category, few very financially successful films make the cut (which was the Academy's intention in the first place to improve ratings!)

Exactly what I was thinking here too, Hibi.

The movie-going demographic and subsequently the majority of films that were offered at the time has changed considerably since we Boomers(many of whom are now "classic" movie fans) would regularly attend movie houses to catch the latest releases. And because quality films("quality", as in perhaps "thoughtfully presenting a look at the human condition"--always an AMPAS favorite, and NOT some "blow 'em up real good" high-grossing action flick) are increasingly far less seen by the movie-going public than ever before, it would follow that less and less of the nominated "quality" films and the actors' performances within them are being far less seen.

And thus, because nominated quality films ARE being seen far less seen than they were "back in our day", the idea that there would be less and less GENERAL interest in people watching the Oscar telecast and seeing if THEIR favorite "quality" film of ALL the quality films that they might have gone to see that year is dwindling and leading to these lower and lower ratings, and even though every year "quality" movies ARE being released to theaters.

And thus, because nominated quality films ARE being seen far less seen than they were "back in our day", the idea that there would be less and less GENERAL interest in people watching the Oscar telecast and seeing if THEIR favorite "quality" film of ALL the quality films that they might have gone to see that year is dwindling and leading to these lower and lower ratings, and even though every year "quality" movies ARE being released to theaters.

A very frustrating side effect from the last twenty years of the Oscars becoming such a power-jockeying game has been that there have been any number of films whose sole reason for being made was to win Oscars- whether they were appealing, entertaining, or actially "said" something was never the aim.

(I blame Harvey Weinstein.)

I firmly believe that there can be popular, entertaining and relateable movies that are also good- but it seems like the nominations each year are compiled of a bunch of 8MM, hand-held-shot, highly esoteric, humorless Lifetime movies that seem to mostly feature people with debalitating diseases, AIDS, or gay characters getting beaten to death.

anyone wanna win an Oscar next year? Call me and we'll get to work on a script about a transgender teacher with Alzheimer's who gets AIDS while teaching Shakespeare classes at a segregated prison in a racist southern town and is beaten to death and strung up on a flagpole in the final scene. We'll have either Judi Dench or Meryl show up for five minutes and read from the phonebook- it'll be a LOCK for picture and supporting (lead if it's a weak enough year for women, which it probably will be...)

anyone wanna win an Oscar next year? Call me and we'll get to work on a script about a transgender teacher with Alzheimer's who gets AIDS while teaching Shakespeare classes at a segregated prison in a racist southern town and is beaten to death and strung up on a flagpole in the final scene. We'll have either Judi Dench or Meryl show up for five minutes and read from the phonebook- it'll be a LOCK for picture and supporting (lead if it's a weak enoughyear for women, which it probably will be...)

LOL

Yeah, that would be a lock alright, Lorna!

(...though as good as Meryl is, go with Dench...The Academy LOVES those Brit accents, ya know!)

(...though as good as Meryl is, go with Dench...The Academy LOVES those Brit accents, ya know!)

Absolutely. I can just see Dame Judi's Oscar clip right now:

"Davis, Mathew M.: 800 Laurel Lane. Davis, Mathew P.: 17 Maple Drive. Davis, Monica: 1400 Sailor's Way...Oy! Harvey! Where's me bleedin' paycheck?! Or am I gettin' back end on this?"

anyone wanna win an Oscar next year? Call me and we'll get to work on a script about a transgender teacher with Alzheimer's who gets AIDS while teaching Shakespeare classes at a segregated prison in a racist southern town and is beaten to death and strung up on a flagpole in the final scene. We'll have either Judi Dench or Meryl show up for five minutes and read from the phonebook- it'll be a LOCK for picture and supporting (lead if it's a weak enough year for women, which it probably will be...)

You easily win post of the year for this and actually shame me and a couple others by comparison, lol. Just don't forget to add in she in not paid an equal wage and Meryl will do a few minutes extra.

I'm total in.  Instant Oscar.

WHY were they singing a Sound of Music medley?? Was it an anniversary year or something? Do they have to do a salute each year to a movie?? (Last year was the Wizard of Oz....)

The producers for the last three Academy Award telecasts have been Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, who were responsible for the 2002 Best Picture winner "Chicago." Needless to say, the first ceremony they did in 2013 featured a tribute to their movie on the 10th anniversary of its Oscar win.

With all due respect, misswonderly, (and I do mean that genuinely because I like you, I really like you), Lady Gaga is as much about the music as the image, and her songs are not rubbish (how mean!)  

Some people are talking about her work with Tony Bennett as if this kind of music is new for her, but Lady Gaga has always performed acoustic, jazz-styled versions of her songs in concert and during appearances on television and radio. A few years ago someone was raving to me about this new, young torch singer that he had seen and heard on a television show. When he described the song I informed him that the song was "Poker Face" and the torch singer was none other than Lady Gaga.

Aw, Holden, I really like you too. (Hey, isn't the original person who we're paraphrasing here the new co-host for TCM??)

Ok, so I made a sincere effort to open my ears and my mind to those two Lady GG videos you posted. And, yes, I see what you mean...both songs had an old-school feel to them, and were better than other things I've heard by the lady. My impression of her music was based on random bits I've heard here and there.

I also looked up "I Was Born This Way", which, believe it or not, I'd never heard (though I'd heard of it.) I noticed she used the music from Vertigo in it. Not sure how I feel about that - on the one hand, it's great that she's familiar with a film like that, on the other...on the other hand, I don't know, I can't articulate why I'm skeptical and slightly disapproving of it.

Anyway, maybe she's not as "rubbish" as I'd thought.

But there's so much music out there that I like so much more, I doubt I'll be spending much time trying to familiarize myself with Lady Gaga's work.

So much music, so little time.

Aw, Holden, I really like you too. (Hey, isn't the original person who we're paraphrasing here the new co-host for TCM??)

Ok, so I made a sincere effort to open my ears and my mind to those two Lady GG videos you posted. And, yes, I see what you mean...both songs had an old-school feel to them, and were better than other things I've heard by the lady. My impression of her music was based on random bits I've heard here and there.

I also looked up "I Was Born This Way", which, believe it or not, I'd never heard (though I'd heard of it.) I noticed she used the music from Vertigo in it. Not sure how I feel about that - on the one hand, it's great that she's familiar with a film like that, on the other...on the other hand, I don't know, I can't articulate why I'm skeptical and slightly disapproving of it.

But there's so much music out there that I like so much more, I doubt I'll be spending much time trying to familiarize myself with Lady Gaga's work.

So much music, so little time.

I'm glad you caught my homage to Ms. Field's famous Oscar acceptance speech.

(Speaking of homage and the Oscars, I was informed today that Neil Patrick Harris's appearance in his tighty whities on the Oscars was an homage to BIRDMAN, which I have not seen.)

One verse of Lady Gaga's song "Bad Romance" (which she co-wrote with RedOne) includes references to Hitchcock films:

"I want your psycho

Your vertigo shtick

Want you in my rear window

Baby, you're sick.

I want your love.

Love, love, love

I want your love."

Like you, I also have mixed feelings about the practice of "sampling" (as it's called) that's so prevalent in music today. Have you heard the song (not one by Lady Gaga) that samples the theme from THE PRICE IS RIGHT?

No, you were right the first time. Her songs are terrible. She has a strong voice but she wastes it with a poor style of delivery on songs that come across as either boring or assaultive. I've found her music quite unpleasant so far.

The producers for the last three Academy Award telecasts have been Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, who were responsible for the 2002 Best Picture winner "Chicago." Needless to say, the first ceremony they did in 2013 featured a tribute to their movie on the 10th anniversary of its Oscar win.

LOL. Yeah, I remember that.............

I know, I can't believe they cut the Honorary Awards from the telecast.

And every time I see that commercial that's running on TCM this month where the guy on the Governor's Board explains how it's a great thing that they have their own ceremony for the Honorary Awards,  because basically no one was interested in watching it during the broadcast, both my middle fingers go up and stay up 'til it's over.

My sentiments exactly. I'd be all for the separate night for honorees IF it was televised, but its NOT.

Yes, after fifty years, the hills are still alive. I haven't watched the

Academy Awards in at least twenty years. It's all too much.

LOL. I did some mental computing and came up with the answer (SOM) :D

Exactly what I was thinking here too, Hibi.

The movie-going demographic and subsequently the majority of films that were offered at the time has changed considerably since we Boomers(many of whom are now "classic" movie fans) would regularly attend movie houses to catch the latest releases. And because quality films("quality", as in perhaps "thoughtfully presenting a look at the human condition"--always an AMPAS favorite, and NOT some "blow 'em up real good" high-grossing action flick) are increasingly far less seen by the movie-going public than ever before, it would follow that less and less of the nominated "quality" films and the actors' performances within them are being far less seen.

It doesnt help that movie companies rear end all their Oscar hopeful movies into the last few weeks of the year, many of which dont even get to most areas of the country (outside of both coasts) until Feb. So, not only do most people not get to see them, many have not even heard of them, which adds to the disinterest in watching the show..............

Due to the bad weather this year, I've only seen a few of the nominated films.

Well, you can never say Lady Gaga is boring! Check out her impassioned tribute to Sting at the Kennedy Center Honors in December.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jz_lVx2Sj0

There was recently news about Sting not giving his wealth to his children and he was nicknamed Stingy, lol. He must be getting a million charity calls a day.

One guy who won the Lotto showed that he gets 100 handwritten letters begging for money every day the mail arrives. All from strangers.

His phone rings off the hook with every investment scheme.

Some celebrity ordered a pizza and gave out a cellphone number, the pizza delivery guy gave it to family and they called the celebrity. Privacy is gone.

Iggy Azalea took a vacation to Hawaii and some paparazzi with a telephoto took pictures of her is a red bikini that were not flattering. When she got back home saw it posted online and now has quit the internet.

You live by the sword, and you also die by the sword.

What does this have to do with Oscars?

A lot but I better not get into it, lol.

Don't think I ever saw Bob Hope, Johnny Carson and Billy Crystal ever on the Oscar dais clad only in their underwear and socks and shoes.

http://fortune.com/2015/02/23/oscars-ratings-six-year-low/

I thought Neil Patrick Harris (and I like him) running out on stage in his underwear was an all time low in class, taste and humor. Ridiculous and for a talented, smart man, he and the producers showed a lack of good judgement. His first musical routine was fine and did salute classic films, but he's no Hope, Carson or Crystal