Sign in to follow this  
kaslovesTCM

the Academy Awards

313 posts in this topic

I thought Neil Patrick Harris (and I like him) running out on stage in his underwear was an all time low in class, taste and humor. Ridiculous and for a talented, smart man, he and the producers showed a lack of good judgement. His first musical routine was fine and did salute classic films, but he's no Hope, Carson or Crystal

I will be very surprised if he comes back, that is hard to recover from. Sadly when you pull something like that it affects a career as well. Some things should be left to the imagination, lol.

• Like 1

Classic Hollywood was about men wearing pants and women wearing dresses. The Hayes code forced movies to actually have substance (rightly or wrongly). Now they are bed-ridden cliches.

Funny how billions were and are made on guns and gun violence. That money is still green and was pocketed. All the money made on WW2 and 80 million died.

Let's give it an Oscar, lol.

No I am not anti-gun, only this shows if you live by the sword you should die by it. Some do.

On those rare occasions, such as this year, when I watch the Oscar broadcasts, at at least one point during the show, if not more, I invariably think the same thing:

"I MISS (!!!) Billy Crystal!"

• Like 1

I thought Neil Patrick Harris (and I like him) running out on stage in his underwear was an all time low in class, taste and humor. Ridiculous and for a talented, smart man, he and the producers showed a lack of good judgement. His first musical routine was fine and did salute classic films, but he's no Hope, Carson or Crystal

Now now lavender, as I always say..."Things could always be worse, ya know!"

(...uh-huh...Jack Black could have been hosting the show and pulled the same stunt!!!) ;)

• Like 1

And btw, speakin' of Jack Black...

When he jumped on stage during that opening number and started his (prearranged, of course) rant about "movies today", I immediately thought of half the people around here!

(..."half" of course being a very conservative estimate on my part!!!)

LOL

Now now lavender, as I always say..."Things could always be worse, ya know!"

(...uh-huh...Jack Black could have been hosting the show and pulled the same stunt!!!) ;)

You're absolutely right, things can always be worse, dargo, and the thought of Jack Black pulling that stunt is an awful thought :D but that doesn't make Neil's stunt any better. Just curious, did you  think Neil running on stage in his underwear funny or clever?

You're absolutely right, things can always be worse, dargo, and the thought of Jack Black pulling that stunt is an awful thought :D but that doesn't make Neil's stunt any better. Just curious, did you  think Neil running on stage in his underwear funny or clever?

Nah, not really. But of course, his stunt was an attempt to parody Michael Keaton's nude jaunt along Times Square in the movie "Birdman".

It wasn't as bad as Seth "We saw your boobs" MacFarlane's obnoxious stint as Oscar host in 2013.

I apologize that this was inadvertently removed.  It is back now!

Thank You for removing the Spam so quickly from this thread and reinstating this thread. That spammer doesn't usually post his stupidity on existing threads, they usually start their own thread with the nonsense, so it's understandable for inadvertently removing the entire thread in order to remove the multiple spams that showed up on the thread. Glad the thread is back now.

• Like 1

Totally agree. When you have to appear in your underwear to get a laugh, well, that is more than pathetic. The producers must have lost their mind this time around.  NPH is a good talent but he was working with really poor material and it showed. I think it is really hard to NOT have a standup comedian host the Oscars  --  it's a long, cumbersome show and you need to be able to sucessfully (and tastefully) ad lib when the situation calls for it.  I guess the real question is:  Can This Award Show Telecast Be Saved?

Lydecker

I'm going to have to check Neil out. Was he in tighty whities or boxers? (LOL)...

So, lemme get this straight!

ALL Y'all're OK with the "IN MEMORIUM" tribute that used those poorly executed chalk sketches instead of complimentary PHOTOGRAPHS of the deceased artists?

At least, the PHOTOS would have LOOKED like the people they were supposed to represent!

And, joke, jest and otherwise gripe and bellyache about LADY GAGA all you wish.  She STILL did MUCH better than ADAM LEVINE did with WHATEVER that crap was he did that night!

Sepiatone

ALL Y'all're OK with the "IN MEMORIUM" tribute that used those poorly executed chalk sketches instead of complimentary PHOTOGRAPHS of the deceased artists?

At least, the PHOTOS would have LOOKED like the people they were supposed to represent!

And, joke, jest and otherwise gripe and bellyache about LADY GAGA all you wish.  She STILL did MUCH better than ADAM LEVINE did with WHATEVER that crap was he did that night!

Sepiatone

I thought Lady Gaga sang beautifully, I don't care that she trained for 6 months. I seriously DOUBT anyone here even with years of training could have sung as beautifully as she did. I don't know much about her other music, but her performance was great andJulie Andrews seemed to also think so. It was great seeing Julie on stage. The doctor that ruined her singing life..........

Adam Levine's song was awful.

Sepiatone

Yeah, I dont get the sketches thing this year..........

I thought Lady Gaga sang beautifully, I don't care that she trained for 6 months. I seriously DOUBT anyone here even with years of training could have sung as beautifully as she did. I don't know much about her other music, but her performance was great andJulie Andrews seemed to also think so. It was great seeing Julie on stage. The doctor that ruined her singing life..........

Well, it helped that the songs she sang were good songs - the score from The Sound of Music being chock full of them.

As I said earlier, I respect Julie Andrews and all, but I think far too much time was spent acknowledging the 50th anniversary of The Sound of Music. While I think it's important that the Academy remembers and honours its past on Oscar night, to allot - oh, must have been 10 to 15 minutes altogether - to a 50 year old film, complete with a selection of clips from said film, while not showing any clips from the nominated best pictures, seems to kind of miss the point - which is presumeably to celebrate the current movies that are up for awards.

(Yes, they did  at least show clips for the acting nominees. But they used to do so for the best picture noms as well. Of course there'd be an overlap  in turns of film clips, but obviously they could select different ones for "best picture" noms from the "best actor/actress" noms.)

As far as the music goes, I thought most of it was abysmal. Oddly, no one's mentioned the one song that I did think was pretty moving and, for Oscar night, performed with relative simplicity. This was Tim McGraw's rendition of Glen Campbell's "You're Not Gonna Miss Me".

Everything else, with the exception of the Sound of Music medley (good more because of the quality of the songs than anything much to do with Lady GG), was awful.

Jennifer Hudson's "In Memoriam"  "song", following that particular segment, was particularly wretched. Over-emoting and singing really loud does not a good song make.

I agree, Adam Levine stunk, too.

And, Canadian though I am, I was not impressed with the frantic "Everything is Awesome", by Canadian sisters Tegan and Sara.

Over-emoting and singing really loud does not a good song make.

No, it sure doesn't. Wish someone could convince today's pop fans of that - but most of them seem pretty impressed by it all.

Oh, and by the wearing of short-shorts too. Gotta show those legs in their entirety, dontcha know.

I feel the same way;  Of course I love and play the type of music Gaga is doing with Bennett and found on their recording.   I was impressed.  e.g. a Youtube live recording of Check to Check is great.     What I find odd is that often people that love that style of music still find something to complain about when a modern or younger performer, does something in that style.   

Ok, sometimes I don't like how they did the music (e.g. the Rod Steward interpretations I'm not a fan of mostly because I don't like his voice),   but I'm glad he was able to expose some great 'classic' songs to his fans, some they may have never heard. 

• Like 1

Ok, sometimes I don't like how they did the music (e.g. the Rod Steward interpretations I'm not a fan of mostly because I don't like his voice),   but I'm glad he was able to expose some great 'classic' songs to his fans, some that may have never heard them. 

I'm not much of a fan of country music (maybe some old classic stuff from the 40's, 50's, 60's) - but I sure love when Willie Nelson does the old standards. I've purchased his 'Stardust' album several times, and a couple of others. His versions are stripped-down and heartfelt.

...What I find odd is that often people that love that style of music still find something to complain about when a modern or younger performer, does something in that style.   

Hope you're not alluding to me, james. I like lots of modern renditions of tunes from, for lack of a better phrase, "The American Songbook".  Those old songs are so great that pretty much anyone can perform them effectively.

Hey, by the way, speaking of this, has anyone heard anything from the new Bob Dylan album, "Shadows in the Night?"

Oh. My. Goodness.

I love Bob Dylan, I've always been a dedicated fan and always will be.

And I love those old "American Songbook" tunes.

But put the two together and it's like oh, maybe chocolate sauce on poutine. You  like them both, but separately. Combined, it's really odd at best, and hard to take, at worst.

I'm not much of a fan of country music (maybe some old classic stuff from the 40's, 50's, 60's) - but I sure love when Willie Nelson does the old standards. I've purchased his 'Stardust' album several times, and a couple of others. His versions are stripped-down and heartfelt.

I feel the same way about country music and Willie Nelson.    Stardust is a great album.   The song Stardust is unique in its phasing and chord changes.   It is a song that I'm still trying to figure out after 25 years!   Nelson versions are stripped-down and heartfelt and one really gets the essence of the song with his interpretation.    Stardust and Georgia are songs written by Hoagy Carmichael who was also an actor who added interest in films like To Have and Have Not,  Best Years of Our Lives,  Young Man with a Horn,  and Johnny Angel.

The only performance I thought was entertaining was The Sound Of Music tribute. The Glen Cambell song came in second and NONE of the others rated at all imo. I don't care for Jennifer Hudson and her screaming/singing. I can't stand that style of singing. I did think in Dreamgirls her performance was moving and that style worked for that song in Dreamgirls, but other than that, don't care for her at all. It's all so sad and I feel sorry for this generation for so much lousy music that gets air time.(and I use the term music loosely)

One of my favorite songs is Irving Berlin's Blue Skies and Willie Nelson's version is outstanding and one of the best ever recorded. I think Willie's great :)

Over-emoting and singing really loud does not a good song make.

No, it sure doesn't. Wish someone could convince today's pop fans of that - but most of them seem pretty impressed by it all.

Yep, and I'm REALLY tired of all these "coloratura" flourishes pop singers add to every song they sing now days too!

YOU know..."Here! Let me flutter my freakin' voice an octave higher after every fourth freakin' note I sing in order to show you how good I am!"

(...and I'm ESPECIALLY tired of hearing them do this when they sing "The Star-Spangled Banner"...I always wanna yell out, "HEY! Just HIT the freakin' notes and SING the freakin' song and stop tryin' to impress us, OKAY???!!!...So, you two Canadians here...do they do that to YOUR National Anthem up there TOO???...and does that drive YOU GUYS up a freakin' wall when they do that to "O Canada" TOO???!!!) LOL

• Like 2