Sign in to follow this  
kaslovesTCM

the Academy Awards

313 posts in this topic

Yep, and I'm REALLY tired of all these "coloratura" flourishes pop singers add to every song they sing now days too!

YOU know..."Here! Let me flutter my freakin' voice an octave higher after every fourth freakin' note I sing in order to show you how good I am!"

(...and I'm ESPECIALLY tired of hearing them do this when they sing "The Star-Spangled Banner"...I always wanna yell out, "HEY! Just HIT the freakin' notes and SING the freakin' song and stop tryin' to impress us, OKAY???!!!...So, you two Canadians here...do they do that to YOUR National Anthem up there TOO???...and does that drive YOU GUYS up a freakin' wall when they do that to "O Canada" TOO???!!!) LOL

I too wish the star-spangled banner would be sung in a more respectful way. the continental army were not rap artists or pop singers but dedicated freedom-fighting soldiers who deserve respect even today by this millennial generation.

way da go Dargy! :)

I too wish the star-spangled banner would be sung in a respectful way. the continental army were not rap artists but soldiers who deserve respect even today by this millennial generation. way da go Dargy! :)

Thanks, ND!

I mean, because the octave range in the song is ALREADY quite wide and thus most people can't hit the higher notes anyway(RIGHT?!)...well, just bein' able to sing this song the way it was WRITTEN is always proof enough to ME that IF a singer CAN hit all those higher notes half way through this ditty, they're ALREADY a pretty damn good singer...RIGHT???!!!

(...I mean, I CAN carry a decent tune with MY voice, but HEY, even I have to start WAY down low when I first belt out "Oh say can you see" in order to even have the HOPE of hittin' the notes during the lyrics "And the rockets red glare"!!!!!!) 

LOL

I'm going to have to check Neil out. Was he in tighty whities or boxers? (LOL)...

NPH was in tighty whities, Hibi.

As I mentioned in another post in this thread, I was informed that his underwear appearance was an homage to the movie BIRDMAN, which I have not seen.

Thanks, ND!

I mean, because the octave range in the song is ALREADY quite wide and thus most people can't hit the higher notes anyway(RIGHT?!)...well, just bein' able to sing this song the way it was WRITTEN is always proof enough to ME that IF a singer CAN hit all those higher notes half way through this ditty, they're ALREADY a pretty damn good singer...RIGHT???!!!

(...I mean, I CAN carry a decent tune with MY voice, but HEY, even I have to start WAY down low when I first belt out "Oh say can you see" in order to even have the HOPE of hittin' the notes during the lyrics "And the rockets red glare"!!!!!!) 

LOL

I can't carry a tune at all but such a stirring inspirational anthem should be sung the way it was written. by taking liberties with our anthem pop singers are unknowingly or perhaps knowingly disrespecting it. I wish they would knock off the individuality routine and just sing it the way it was meant to be sung otherwise they are verbally defacing our national anthem. let them deface such a beautiful song on their own time and not ours.

whether it be baseball, football or the oscars, I have not heard our national anthem sung properly in years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHyiHEHfxN8

As I mentioned in another post in this thread, I was informed that his underwear appearance was an homage to the movie BIRDMAN, which I have not seen.

LOL. Neither have I. I'll have to check Neil out.........

michael-keaton-strips-to-his-underwear-f

Must be hard to be a dedicated freedom fighter in a land where slavery

was legal. Hey, whatever. :)

and was not slavery still legal in europe at the same time? it is wrong to foolishly invadidate a whole loaf of bread because of one or two bad slices. :)

no one should expect perfection from a sinful humanity.

Over emoting and singing loud. Worked for Freddie Mercury (he works

hard, every day) and Queen.

Must be hard to be a dedicated freedom fighter in a land where slavery

was legal. Hey, whatever. :)

Yes, it worked for Freddie Mercury, and it worked for Janis Joplin.

It's kind of a hallmark of rock music.

they could have used THIS image just as well....

file_105046_0_birdmansetarticle.jpg

It must be the way my mind works, but whenever I see a man in nothing but underpants in public (like, so very often....), I always get a little nervous for them that something might, uh, happen. That would affect the way the guy's underwear appears, I mean.

I've heard that men have no control over such an event, and that anything at all can trigger it.

Aren't the men who wear underpants in public worried that this might occur?

It must be the way my mind works, but whenever I see a man in nothing but underpants in public (like, so very often....), I always get a little nervous for them that something might, uh, happen. That would affect the way the guy's underwear appears, I mean.

I've heard that men have no control over such an event, and that anything at all can trigger it.

Aren't the men who wear underpants in public worried that this might occur?

LOL. I guess not.............I havent seen any out in underwear lately.......Maybe in CA or FL.

I've heard that they can take something - some kind of medication - to ensure the underwear- appearance-changing event doesn't happen. Just temporarily, of course.

Guys??

...and I'm ESPECIALLY tired of hearing them do this when they sing "The Star-Spangled Banner"...I always wanna yell out, "HEY! Just HIT the freakin' notes and SING the freakin' song and stop tryin' to impress us, OKAY???!!!...So, you two Canadians here...do they do that to YOUR National Anthem up there TOO???

Hell, no.

I've heard that they can take something - some kind of medication - to ensure the underwear- appearance-changing event does't happen. Just temporarily, of course.

Guys??

MEDICATION?? WTH?

Oh, I don't know Hib. I'm thinking maybe I'm offending a good proportion of the TCM posters here, so maybe I should drop this delicate subject.

I've heard that they can take something - some kind of medication - to ensure the underwear- appearance-changing event does't happen. Just temporarily, of course.

Guys??

A teenager could never do it, that's for sure.

Oh, I don't know Hib. I'm thinking maybe I'm offending a good proportion of the TCM posters here, so maybe I should drop this delicate subject.

LOL. I'm not offended, just confused! :D

LOL. I'm not offended, just confused! :D

Yes, I find it's a bit confusing too. You remember what Elaine said in a famous Seinfeld episode?

"I don't know how you guys can walk around with those things."

Yes, I find it's a bit confusing too. You remember what Elaine said in a famous Seinfeld episode?

"I don't know how you guys can walk around with those things."

LOL. Yes, as well as the "He Took It Out" episode..........

Come to think of it, Hib, there were a lot of Seinfeld episodes pondering the various facets of "it".

(Hey, do you think "it" should be capitalized?)

Come to think of it, Hib, there were a lot of Seinfeld episodes pondering the various facets of "it".

(Hey, do you think "it" should be capitalized?)

LOL.

This was in this morning's paper here:

I opened the Tampa Bay Times to read with my morning coffee. On the front page it read, "Birdman soars" in winning the best picture Oscar. I was surprised, as everyone I spoke with thought that American Sniper was outstanding and would surely win.

I checked the gross revenue generated by each movie. Birdman had domestic sales of $37.7 million. America Sniper had domestic sales of $319.6 million. That means that about 90 percent of every dollar spent on these two movies was spent on American Sniper.

Birdman is the best picture for the Hollywood elite. The best movie for the American people is American Sniper. This is a perfect example of how out of touch the elite in Los Angeles/New York are with the rest of the country

This is my reply which I sent to the "Letters to the Editor"

Every year after the Academy Awards a letter such as Lynn Black’s appears. Why is it so difficult to comprehend that there is no correlation between a movie’s popularity and its artistic merits?

The “Oscars” are awarded for outstanding acting, directing, screenwriting, scoring and production values and the film that the Academy feels most showcases these. Many of the “blockbusters” compete in these categories but with them the special effects cover up a lack of plot or other cohesiveness. There are several awards that are based on box-office receipts where they shine.

If we follow Ms. Black’s logic, the frontrunner for this year is Fifty Shades of Grey which has earned nearly a billion dollars so far but except for Dakota Johnson’s performance has been universally panned. I certainly do not  want this film walking hone with a "Best Picture" award and I doubt that Ms. Black would either.

There’s nothing “elite” about this or being “out of touch with the rest of the country’”, just recognition of outstanding work during the past year. Again, art and money are two different things. And, no, I’m not an Academy member or a relative of one.

I'll let you know if they print it.

• Like 3

Thank You for removing the Spam so quickly from this thread and reinstating this thread. That spammer doesn't usually post his stupidity on existing threads, they usually start their own thread with the nonsense, so it's understandable for inadvertently removing the entire thread in order to remove the multiple spams that showed up on the thread. Glad the thread is back now.

Guess the thread didn't fit in to well.after being moved to the Film Noir forum. Lol.

This was in this morning's paper here:

I opened the Tampa Bay Times to read with my morning coffee. On the front page it read, "Birdman soars" in winning the best picture Oscar. I was surprised, as everyone I spoke with thought that American Sniper was outstanding and would surely win.

I checked the gross revenue generated by each movie. Birdman had domestic sales of $37.7 million. America Sniper had domestic sales of $319.6 million. That means that about 90 percent of every dollar spent on these two movies was spent on American Sniper.

Birdman is the best picture for the Hollywood elite. The best movie for the American people is American Sniper. This is a perfect example of how out of touch the elite in Los Angeles/New York are with the rest of the country

This is my reply which I sent to the "Letters to the Editor"

Every year after the Academy Awards a letter such as Lynn Black’s appears. Why is it so difficult to comprehend that there is no correlation between a movie’s popularity and its artistic merits?

The “Oscars” are awarded for outstanding acting, directing, screenwriting, scoring and production values and the film that the Academy feels most showcases these. Many of the “blockbusters” compete in these categories but with them the special effects cover up a lack of plot or other cohesiveness. There are several awards that are based on box-office receipts where they shine.

If we follow Ms. Black’s logic, the frontrunner for this year is Fifty Shades of Grey which has earned nearly a billion dollars so far but except for Dakota Johnson’s performance has been universally panned. I certainly do not  want this film walking hone with a "Best Picture" award and I doubt that Ms. Black would either.

There’s nothing “elite” about this or being “out of touch with the rest of the country’”, just recognition of outstanding work during the past year. Again, art and money are two different things. And, no, I’m not an Academy member or a relative of one.

I'll let you know if they print it.

I see black and white type thinking in both POVs here.     The voters are human beings.  This means they are biased,  some more than others, but everyone to some degree.

So while the Oscars should be awarded based on merit we have no idea how these biases impact each voter.  So the question still remains to how much do these biases impact the final outcome.  

Related specifically to Sniper no one really knows how many Academy member didn't vote for the film because of political reason or because it was a blockbuster,  just like we don't know how many members voted for 12 Years A Slave because of their own biases.  (well Fox News claims to know since they are saying Sniper was cheated by liberal Hollywood). 

The bottom line is no one knows what motivates each individual Academy voter.

• Like 2