Sign in to follow this  
divacrazed

What do you quote?

42 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is been asked before, but I thought it might be interesting. I have a habit of quoting my favorite lines from movies from time to time and was hoping some of you might share your experiences.

Just recently I was at a bridal shower lunch and this girl was going and on with her torrid history of every ailment/tragedy in the book and some new ones! You couldn't get a word in without her interjecting something negative that had happened to her. Well, call me bad but I just had to turn my head to the woman next to me and say the great Birdie line from All About Eve, "Gee, everything but the dogs biting at her rear end." (Forgive me if I don't have that exactly right) It got a good laugh from the gal I said it to and it made the rest of the meal much more enjoyable.

So.....anyone else???

"You're protected by the enormity of your stupidity" from Notorious, which is a real favorite of mine.

"Put the bunny in the box," from ConAir is one my friend and I say as a joke.

And, of course:

BUT CHA ARE, BLANCHE!

This is not a real quote, but when i was young apparantly I was a regular drama queen. My mother's favorite remark was "come off it Camille".

My favorite is from GWTW, and I think Pork said it when Scarlett told him she was going to ask Ashley for the money to pay taxes on Tara:

"Askin' ain't gettin'"

Another favorite from Blazing Saddles:

"What in the wide, wide world of sports is a goin'on here?"

Great post....

Reflecting back on it, I must say that I use lines from classic movies all the time.

Here are some:

42ND STREET

"It must have been tough on your mother not having any children." ~Whenever I am mad at someone, and I love Ginger.

"Ohh Ohh Pat!" ~ my last year's college roommate and I loved how Ruby Keeler said this and we said it whenever we wanted to get each other's attention...needless to say the other girls in the dorm were confused at why we were calling each other Pat.

THE MORE THE MERRIER

"Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!"

THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER

"Ready boot, let's scoot!"

~also the "you remind me of a man" monologue...I drive my family crazy with that one."

~there are so many it is hard to remember, they usually just flow out of me!

Tabitha

i also love the "you look like a man ' routine

but it has been so long since I heard it.

Please post it if you know it.

for some strange reason when a friend of mine from back east see or talk to each other "Give us back the eye"

is usually blurted out. It is from the movie "Clash of the Titans" with the stingeon witches. Odd but true

Eddie

As I recall, the routine goes something like this:

-You look like the man.

-What man?

-The man with the power.

-What power?

-The power of voodoo.

-Whodoo?

-You do.

-I do what?

- You look like the man.

etc

actually in "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer" with Grant and Loy it goes...

You remind me of a man.

What man?

The man with the power.

What power?

The power of hoodoo

Hoo doo?

You do.

Do what?

Remind me of a man.

What man?

~ repeat from there...I love it!

Tabitha

Burt Lancaster and Gary Cooper in 1954's "Vera Cruz" "Now we both have girls" and I wouldn't give 'em the sweat off my brow" and lastly "I want it all....I'm a pig"

vallo

I came across a usable one last night while viewing (for the first time!) Sunset Blvd. After Gloria Swanson give a rundown on her script for Salome, William Holden quips, "They'll like it in Pomona." Kinda cute. Sort of a cousin to, "But will it play in Peoria."

Oh, these are great!!! Chandler, your Jane quote had me roaring!!! Same to you Eddie, my sis and I have an odd habit of hunching our backs, squinting ours eyes while squawking, "Give us the eyeeee!" Should I have admitted to that??

Lux, glad to see you finally had the pleasure of watching Sunset Blvd. There are so many great moments in that one. I love the "Words, Words, Words!!" bit and my daughter's favorite, "I am big! It's the pictures that got small!"

I find myself quoting The Sweet Smell of Success alot. For instance when somebody wants me to applaud: "My right hand hasn't seen my left hand in twenty years". When I want somebody to fill me in on something: "I'm a schoolboy, teach me". When I'm in a desperate situation: "Watch me run the hundred yard dash with my head cut off".

Use this quote from "Sweet home Alabama" at Mrs Asterbuilt's next soiree: "Why don't you go back to your double-wide and FRY something??!!"

Some of my favorites:

"Oh, Blanche, ya know we got rats in the cella?"

"And under no circumstances are you to reveal the contents of this note to my sister....it's not me that needs a doctor Blanche!"

"I told you, it flew out the window...."

"You promised you'd never ever talk about that again".

All of the above courtesy of Baby Jane Hudson.

"I don't remember when I've seen dirty words like that..." -- Elvira

"Lies, lies, lies ---- trapped and strangling in a jungle of lies. It wasn't me that he wanted, it was my kingdom!!" ---Elizabeth I

"Cal, the grits is cold!" --- Regina Giddens

i love movie quotes! here are some of my favorites

"Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops."

from Arsenic and Old Lace. i always use it when i'm talking about my family.

"Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" from To Have and Have Not.

"The prettiest sight in this fine, pretty world is the privileged class enjoying its privileges. " from The Philadelphia Story.

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. It's what the fellow said - in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock." from The Third Man. it's really long but it makes you think and it's kind of funny.

that's all i can think of on the spot but there are many more.

wow, morkeleb8 it looks like you and I have some similar tastes. Those are some of my favorite quotes. I am a little obsessed with them to. I have like just under a hundred (I know crazy) saved as away messages for AIM.

After the "Barkley's of Broadway" song and dance team break up, a newspaper headline bemoans:

"Hinterlanders Want Entertainment".

I recently acquired and will now say "hinterlanders want entertainment" before tuning in to Turner Classic Movies. Appropriate for me because:

1) I live in Oklahoma.

2) I want to be entertained.

I add this quote to what I ALWAYS say after a few minutes of any other cable programming--Marlon Brando's "the horror...the horror".

Rusty

This is not a trivia question, per se, rather something I'm curious about. I saw an unattributed quote elsewhere on the net and am wondering if it was lifted from Sunset Boulevard. At the clothier, the salesman says something like, "Since the lady is paying, why don't you get the ____." What is the missing word? Thanks.

In our household, the most popularly quoted film:

All About Eve 1950

"You're too short for that gesture." Addison DeWitt

"I call myself Phoebe." star struck kid @ the film's end

"Imagine how snide and vicious he could be, and still tell nothing but the truth" Eve Harrington

"Fasten your seatbelts...." Margo Channing

"This IS Addison." Addison DeWitt

"Happy, little housewife." Margo

"I wish I could have gone to Radcliffe, but father wouldn't hear of it, he needed help behind a notions counter." Margo

"You're maudlin, and full of self pity, you're magnificent." Addison

I could rewrite the film; it's been seen so many times.