Sign in to follow this  
tracey65k

for a switch--annoying voices

91 posts in this topic

The moment I saw this thread one name came to mind--Billie Burke. I first saw her in "The Wizard Of Oz," and then her voice didn't annoy me. I thought it went really well with the Glinda character. I didn't realize that was how her voice sounded all the time; I saw her next in "Dinner At Eight" and was horrified to hear Glinda's voice!

Ditto George Brent. One time on this forum he was described as "The Human Sedative."

Also, add pre-Code sarcastic character actor Ned Sparks. He was a good actor though, and made his odd speech "work" for him.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Ethel Merman! Her voice is loveably annoying like Mailyn's. Ethel couldn't sing very well...her singing voice was awful actually...yet she still manages to make the songs delightful. That takes talent! But I like her way of talking, so her annoying voice lights up the films she was in!

*shudders* Sorry, but I hate Ethel Merman's voice no matter what!

The actress who plays Jean in The Court Jester opposite Danny Kaye . . . I don't know, sometimes I like her voice, sometimes it bugs me.

Even though I loved her as a person and actress, Judy Holiday's voice was like chalk on a blackboard.

RG

I loved Lucy, but her voice got on my nerves (I'm talking about the younger, higher-pitched Lucy before she started sounding like a frog.) Elizabeth Taylor always sounded shrill to me, and so did Barbara Stanwyck. Another beauty, Ava Gardner, was too whispery for my taste. And Grace Kelly always sounded to me like she was auditioning for Shakespeare. James Stewart's drawl could be annoying. Judy Holliday makes me want to turn down the volume. John Boles sounded fake. Melanie Griffith needs to speak up.

On the other hand, I was surprised that someone mentioned George Sanders. I thought he spoke beautifully.

Good topic!

BLU

Wallace Beery. Not only his voice was grating though. Everything about that tub of lard annoyed me. By far, my least favorite actor ever. Victor McLaglen (who ruined every film he was ever in with his drunken buffoon act) is a close second.

How in the name of God did this topic grow to 3 pages with absolutely NO MENTION of Butterfly McQueen??!! " I ain't know nutthih' 'bout birthin' no babies Miz Scarlett." Her voice would have annoyed Helen Keller!

I love Lauren Bacall, but I DID NOT like her singing in To Have and Have Not. It sounded awful. There's a voice in some Warners movies of the forties singing, I don't remember too many, but it was in Humoresque, singing "Embraceable You"

in some sort of monotone with Joan Crawford singng along.

I simply had to pull up this thread to say that I'm currently watching (not for long) The Seven Per-Cent Solution. Whoever the actor is playing Holmes (I can't even bother to look up who he is) has the MOST annoying voice I have ever heard. In fact, he is one of the most annoying actors I've ever watched. As soon as I post this, I'm going to watch anything else!

I hope I?m not lynched for saying this, but I can?t stand Katharine Hepburn?s voice, or her. The only other worse voices and ?actresses? are Mercedes McCambridge and an older Joan Crawford.

Nicol Williamson, wasn't it? I remember when this movie came out...it's a 'classic' now, isn't it? :) ...it must have had some studio muscle behind it, because I remember reading and hearing how WONDERFUL it was. Meanwhile, when I finally saw it, years and years later, I thought: meh.

George Brent! I hated George Brent, his voice, his face, his acting...well, I guess in summary him. Hack.

Not an ac-tress, fur sure, but Rosanne Barr/Arnold, whatever her last name is. Ick.

Easiest question ever!

And for me, there is only one answer: Vivien Leigh

That whiny southern accent gets on my last nerve. I love Clark Gable and I love Marlon Brando...but she has single-handedly ruined both "Gone With the Wind" and "A Streetcar Named Desire" for me.

That's his name, stony, right. Apparently, it was up for some awards - I totally agree with you, meh indeed.

My mom dislikes Henry Fonda's voice and Kate Hepburn's. Guess she won't be watching On Golden Pond anytime soon. Although I like Kate, I do understand it if someone doesn't, she wouldn't suit everyone's taste. Fonda, however, is someone I could never imagine anyone not liking. I was amazed when I found out she doesn't care for him. She says she would never not watch a movie because he was in it but sure wouldn't watch one because he was in it, either. Different strokes.......... Of course, Cagney is another actor that I could never imagine someone not liking and yet there was someone I was conversing with on another list, can't remember who, and she/he didn't like him at all. I guess my ****-u-me-ing is often wrong.

I am not ever really put off by the voice of an actor enough not to watch their films. It's usually the whole package I end up disliking, as with George Brent or Charlie Chaplin. Although, I can abide Brent in a film, but Chaplin raises the hair on the back of my neck.

As to Fonda and Stewart and the other biggies, I wasn't enamored of them either. I saw them as competent, no more. They never appealed to me, and that is a big part of my viewing plez-ure. A good example is Gary Cooper, I don't like him at all and his movies usually seem soooooooo overdone to me. My taste, simply my taste.

Now Cagney, on the other hand, I found very sexy and talented, and multi-talented, like Cary Grant, so I would watch him read the phone book. Until he got old and starred with...Doris Day, was it? Ick, whatever that later movie was that I am thinking of, it was abysmal. Meanwhile, I liked him in Ragtime.

So yes, we can try to slice and dice movies and define this and pigeonhole that, but in the end, movies are art and it's all personal and it's all subjective. Heck, I don't like Picasso.......now, HE'S 'classic', right??????? :)

Love Me or Leave Me is the Cagney/Day movie. One of the only 2 times I've ever been able to tolerate Doris Day, the other being The Man Who Knew Too Much with James Stewart. And if I had my way, I wouldn't have had to tolerate her then, either. I'm surprised at Hitchcock ever giving her a role. I agree with you, though, I dislike the whole package, not just the voice. Like you say, it's everyone's personal taste. I don't like Picasso, either, come to think of it.

Nah Fred, you won't be lynched, even by Hepburn fans. She's kind of an acquired taste, I think. Tallulah Bankhead once likened her voice to "nickles dropping into a slot machine..." It did get easier on the ear as she got older, until she got really old and it started shaking so badly.

One voice that grated on my nerves was that of Elizabeth Taylor in ?Cleopatra?. Throughout the entire movie she sounded to me like Maggie the cat in ?Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?. I kept expecting Big Daddy to come into the room and say something like, ?What the heck are all these danged Italians doing in ma house!?

cagney69,

Quote:

"How about Andy Devine in all those cowboy pictures. His voice could have started a stampede..."

His voice is grating but (having only read in movie synopsis for "Roy Rogers" movies), I would like to hear him say, "crocacrooka...owlhoots".

What is Andy talking about?

Rusty

Now THIS is a great topic!!!!

To Mr.ThinMan...I think Andy Williams did the song for Lauren in To Have and Have Not. If he didn't I'm sure I'll be corrected. LOL

Matt Dillion, and Christian Slater...pointless.

I can stand John Candy for the 5 mins he's in Blues Brothers, but that's it.

Jeanette MacDonald...nuff said.

Andy Devine is about grating. At times I think he probably exagerated it. My kids remember him from Disney's "Robin Hood"

As far as Andy Williams dubbing Lauren Bacall. I think even he has said that didn't happen. He and his brothers were doing little parts in movies but that didn't seem to be part of it.