Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

What actor can you just not "get into" even though you want to?

237 posts in this topic

Broderick Crawford, the way he talks always too fast,Debbie Reynolds,Van Johnson,Red Skelton, any musicals,Bing Crosby & Bob Hope together and solo,Robert Vaughn thank God he was mostly on tv,Robert Stack always the same in every movie,same particular walk,watch his right arm always the same type of move, i liked him when i saw the Untouchables but i did not know he was the same for all his career before he starred in the show.Wallace Beery when a kid is in the plot-too many  films with usual story line.

Crawford would have been great in noirs. Aside from THE MOB, I don't believe he was in any.

Crawford would have been great in noirs. Aside from THE MOB, I don't believe he was in any.

According to the book Film Noir (Ward \ Silver)  Crawford was in Black Angel, Convicted,  Human Desire,  The Mob,  New York Confidential, and Scandal Sheet.

Stick to sports trivia!   :D

yea, Crawford Noirs

Down Three Dark Streets

Black Angel

New York Confidential

Big House U.S.A.

Human Desire 

Scandal Sheet

I haven't seen Convicted some include All The Kings Men

yea, Crawford Noirs

Down Three Dark Streets

Black Angel

New York Confidential

Big House U.S.A.

Human Desire 

Scandal Sheet

I haven't seen Convicted some include All The Kings Men

I take that back I have seen Convicted

My choices are:

Ava Gardner - lazy "actress" who traded on her beauty, had no respect for her craft

Joan Crawford - always came across like a female impersonator

Elizabeth Taylor - whose idea of dramatic acting was to shout louder

June Allyson - enough said

Jane Russell - see Ava Gardner above

Mary Astor - never credible as a love interest, almost liked her when she played matronly roles

Frank Sinatra - yuk, hate that Las Vegas persona, didn't like his singing either

Jerry Lewis - double yuk

Woody Allen - but I repeat myself.  I've always felt guilty (as a New Yorker) that I don't like his movies

John Wayne - had no range at all, played himself in every movie

Kevin Spacey - creeps me out.  Saw an interview with him and his massive ego totally put me off

Tyrone Power - another example of a movie star who was not a movie actor (with the possible 

exception of NIGHTMARE ALLEY)

Steve McQueen - see Tyrone Power above

James Dean - mumble, mumble, enough with The Method already

Rock Hudon - see Steve McQueen above

For Jeannette MacDonald, I would start with Love Me Tonight, move on to the Lubitsch movies.  Then I would stop.

The whole cast of numbskulls on Big Bang Theory.  How America kept them on tv for a decade is a mystery to me.

The whole cast of numbskulls on Big Bang Theory.  How America kept them on tv for a decade is a mystery to me.

Hmmmm...well...seein' as how my wife and I have been hooked on the antics of those "numbskulls" since this sitcom first premiered years ago and have always found those "numbskulls"(btw, wouldn't the term "numbskull" be ill-applied to highly intelligent individuals who lack the ability to gracefully interact socially with others???...ah, but I digress here) very entertaining, I COULD give a few reasons as to why this sitcom has and continues to be such a hit IF you have a few minutes here, bub?!

Now, I'd first mention that the dialogue delivered by the perfectly cast and talented actors in it is usually very funny and often references a wide variety of American cultural touchstones, from the highbrow to the lowbrow, and THEN go on from there.

(...but I got me a feelin' no matter what I'd say would probably fall upon deaf eyes here, huh!) 

Hmmmm...well...seein' as how my wife and I have been hooked on the antics of those "numbskulls" since this sitcom first premiered years ago and have always found those "numbskulls"(btw, wouldn't the term "numbskull" be ill-applied to highly intelligent individuals who lack the ability to gracefully interact socially with others???...ah, but I digress here) very entertaining, I COULD give a few reasons as to why this sitcom has and continues to be such a hit IF you have a few minutes here, bub?!

Now, I'd first mention that the dialogue delivered by the perfectly cast and talented actors in it is usually very funny and often references a wide variety of American cultural touchstones, from the highbrow to the lowbrow, and THEN go on from there.

(...but I got me a feelin' no matter what I'd say would probably fall upon deaf eyes here, huh!) 

I wonder if you know the answer to one thing that puzzles me about the show;  Why do all the guys where so many layers of cloths in sunny southern CA?    Ok,  I can understand why the guy from India would;  people that lived in a very hot climate often feel cold in a mild climate until their bodies adjust  ( but he always has at least 3 - 4 layers on,  like a tee-shirt, a shirt,  a sweater and than a jacket when he is INDOORS!). 

I'm a fan of the show but I don't recall if an episode ever explained all those layers.    Is wearing many layers just a nerd stereotype?

NOW,  I understand why Penny typically is wearing short-shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt.    No need to explain why the producers did that!

I wonder if you know the answer to one thing that puzzles me about the show;  Why do all the guys where so many layers of cloths in sunny southern CA?    Ok,  I can understand why the guy from India would;  people that lived in a very hot climate often feel cold in a mild climate until their bodies adjust  ( but he always has at least 3 - 4 layers on,  like a tee-shirt, a shirt,  a sweater and than a jacket when he is INDOORS!). 

I'm a fan of the show but I don't recall if an episode ever explained all those layers.    Is wearing many layers just a nerd stereotype?

NOW,  I understand why Penny typically is wearing short-shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt.    No need to explain why the producers did that!

Good question, James. I would guess it might be because of their general nerdiness and the issue of them being less than "athletic", and thus possessing less than athletic builds. And so perhaps because their characters are aware of this and are thus perhaps uncomfortable with their bodies, the extra clothing is meant to hide their characters' feelings of such.

(...once again, only a guess here)

I like the show too.  It's funny and even the newer characters like Amy and Bernadette fit in well with the original cast.  The episodes are hilarious and I've liked how the writers have made the characters grow throughout the years so that they don't become one-note characters.  Sheldon had a lot of crazy hangups in the beginning of the series, and while he's still neurotic, he's grown and overcome some of his issues. 

Re: all their layers of clothing... I would presume that when the series first started, it was the producers' idea of "nerd clothing." Superhero shirts, science shirts, hoodies, etc. Now that the show is so popular and established, I imagine that each character's respective clothing style has become part of the character.  Even the girls wear kind of the same clothes.  Only Penny's clothes have evolved.  She's given up on becoming an actress and working at the Cheesecake Factory.  She now has a professional sales position with Bernadette's pharmaceutical company, so she's started dressing more conservatively, even when at home.  Amy's clothing is so frumpy and has so many layers, but I imagine that Amy's self-confidence issues play into that as well. 

Anyway, I really like the show and don't have any issues with it.

The show I really can't stand is Modern Family

SPEEDY!!! I'm shocked that one as discerning as you seem to be about how funny "The Big Bang Theory" actually is, ISN'T a big fan of "Modern Family" ALSO???!!!

(...as you can probably tell, that's another sitcom the Mrs and I enjoy immensely...and with others of the current crop of sitcoms being "Mike & Molly" and "Mom")

To Dargo and other BBT fans.   I never quite got the humor of that show.  It doesn't compare to  Curb Your Enthusiasm and Seinfield for example which I liked where the characters/actors are more mature and I identify more.  What ever it is after numerous attempts to watch BBT I still can't get it and leaves my face :( or :/ to those "actors".

To Dargo and other BBT fans.   I never quite got the humor of that show.  It doesn't compare to  Curb Your Enthusiasm and Seinfield for example which I liked where the characters/actors are more mature and I identify more.  What ever it is after numerous attempts to watch BBT I still can't get it and leaves my face :( or :/ to those "actors".

Seinfield where the characters are more mature?????    One theme of the show was how immature the characters were.  

Seinfield where the characters are more mature?????    One theme of the show was how immature the characters were.  

Anyone ever notice that the last scene of the last Seinfeld episode had Jerry and George doing the EXACT SAME THING (sitting in the diner discussing a button on a shirt) as they were doing in the first scene of the first episode of the series, proving that nothing had changed for them?

Seinfield where the characters are more mature?????   

This sounds like it should be sung to that line from that other Must See Thursday staple, the Theme from Cheers" "....where everyone knows your name". 

Speaking of SEINFELD, was that Len Lesser ('Uncle Leo') in a bit part in a printing room in "I WANT TO LIVE!" -- he was wearing a white t-shirt -- standing next to Simon Oakland? 

Correct, Dargo.

"Numbskulls" is not an accurate term at all for the characters on THE BIG BANG THEORY.

And, yes, the dialogue on the show and the actor's delivery of it are brilliant.

I especially love Jim Parsons as Sheldon.

Laurie Metcalf was great as Sheldon's mother.   

• Like 1

Correct, Dargo.

"Numbskulls" is not an accurate term at all for the characters on THE BIG BANG THEORY.

And, yes, the dialogue on the show and the actor's delivery of it are brilliant.

I especially love Jim Parsons as Sheldon.

Laurie Metcalf was great as Sheldon's mother.  

As is Christine Baranski whenever she guests as Leonard's cold-as-a-fish psychiatrist mother.

(...the two goin' at it when they finally met on last week's episode was hilarious, wasn't it!)

As is Christine Baranski whenever she guests as Leonard's cold-as-a-fish psychiatrist mother.

(...the two goin' at it when they finally met on last week's episode was hilarious, wasn't it!)

Yes!!!!

big-bang-theory-maternal-combustion.jpg?

NOTE: This photo is of actors that I love, not ones that I "can't get into.".

Yes!!!!

big-bang-theory-maternal-combustion.jpg?

And yet another reason why I think Chuck Lorre's sitcom is so damn funny and well written.

Here ya had two characters representing that old "Red State/Blue State" debate, and yet both sides via these characters get in some good shots at each other and with neither point-of-view being "pressed" as "superior" to the other and made equally fun of.

I always love it when these sorts of things don't press one particular agenda, and when the folly of both POVs is equally lampooned.

(...if ya know what I mean, and I think ya do)

And yet another reason why I think Chuck Lorre's sitcom is so damn funny and well written.

You recall that Simon Helberg (who plays Howard Wolowitz on THE BIG BANG THEORY) was a guest programmer on TCM a couple of years ago.

There is a very strong actor connection with the Roseanna Barr show with Laurie Metcalf (who played her sister),  Sara Gilbert (who played her youngest daughter) and Johnny Galecki (who played the boyfriend of her daughter). 

I  started to be interested in Glenn Ford only 8 or 9 years ago,i watched about 70 of his films since,his overall output is pretty good,i never considered him a `WOODEN TYPE' more similar to Gary Cooper who was also labeled before as wooden, anybody who worked with Cooper always mentionned he was a great actor,i feel Glenn Ford would get similar praise from his fellow actors,Teahouse of the August Moon is a great comedy but Paul Ford stole the movie,he was reprising his Broadway role,for me a wooden actor is George Raft who did a fantastic job for the career of Humphrey Bogart by turning down many parts that went-luckily-to Bogie.I think Glenn Ford  is underated and he is by far the fastest draw in any western movie,just watch him...

He was excellent in "Cowboy" - really a powerful performance. He holds his own against equally good Jack Lemmon. I also loved the movie Ford co-starred in with his friend William Holden, "Texas", although Holdn has the flashier part in that one. It's terrific seeing Ford and Holden when they were still young guns in Hollywood and clearly enjoying it.