Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

What actor can you just not "get into" even though you want to?

238 posts in this topic

I  started to be interested in Glenn Ford only 8 or 9 years ago,i watched about 70 of his films since,his overall output is pretty good,i never considered him a `WOODEN TYPE' more similar to Gary Cooper who was also labeled before as wooden, anybody who worked with Cooper always mentionned he was a great actor,i feel Glenn Ford would get similar praise from his fellow actors,Teahouse of the August Moon is a great comedy but Paul Ford stole the movie,he was reprising his Broadway role,for me a wooden actor is George Raft who did a fantastic job for the career of Humphrey Bogart by turning down many parts that went-luckily-to Bogie.I think Glenn Ford  is underated and he is by far the fastest draw in any western movie,just watch him...

He was excellent in "Cowboy" - really a powerful performance. He holds his own against equally good Jack Lemmon. I also loved the movie Ford co-starred in with his friend William Holden, "Texas", although Holdn has the flashier part in that one. It's terrific seeing Ford and Holden when they were still young guns in Hollywood and clearly enjoying it.

He was excellent in "Cowboy" - really a powerful performance. He holds his own against equally good Jack Lemmon. I also loved the movie Ford co-starred in with his friend William Holden, "Texas", although Holdn has the flashier part in that one. It's terrific seeing Ford and Holden when they were still young guns in Hollywood and clearly enjoying it.

Texas is a good movie and one I just saw for the first time a few weeks back on GET-TV.   Claire Trevor added fine support as the gal.    They also showed Arizona,  made a year before Texas with Holden and Jean Arthur.   That movie was somewhat flat not using Jean to her full advantage.   

Barbara Stanwyck.  I like most of the movies I have seen her in, and even have a bunch of them.  I just never got used to the way she moves her lips like a ventrilloquist much of the time when she talks.  Maybe a method acting thing for her, who knows.

Having read all the responses that followed my opinion of BBT it shows how this show continues to run as long as it has with such a large loyal fan base.  The theme of this topic was actors you couldn't get into and for me James Parsons et al is exactly that for me. Mind you not everyone is watching but I guess there are enough to keep it going fortunately for the creative staff involved and their pockets.  I believe the humor one enjoys indicates the type of person one is.  I found a lot of put down humor and degrading type of jokes in this show about people's appearances and abilities and tries to come off as sophisticated and witty .  I think it's what we become as Americans I guess. Is it funny to hurt someone's feelings? This is my last about this topic. I don't begrudge you from enjoying yourself and continue to do so.  We are lucky in America to have such choices.  Perhaps I'm the one who should lighten up from being such a sour puss.

Having read all the responses that followed my opinion of BBT it shows how this show continues to run as long as it has with such a large loyal fan base.  The theme of this topic was actors you couldn't get into and for me James Parsons et al is exactly that for me. Mind you not everyone is watching but I guess there are enough to keep it going fortunately for the creative staff involved and their pockets.  I believe the humor one enjoys indicates the type of person one is.  I found a lot of put down humor and degrading type of jokes in this show about people's appearances and abilities and tries to come off as sophisticated and witty .  I think it's what we become as Americans I guess. Is it funny to hurt someone's feelings? This is my last about this topic. I don't begrudge you from enjoying yourself and continue to do so.  We are lucky in America to have such choices.  Perhaps I'm the one who should lighten up from being such a sour puss.

As for "I guess there are enough' (fans) -  well BBT has been the #1 rated T.V. show,  year after year after year.   (but I don't know how it is doing in the current season but since everyone will be married soon it is time to call it quits).

Anyhow, as for degrading type humor;  that is the core of most sit-coms.    Take Everyone Loves Raymond - each of the main characters puts down the other and many of the jokes are based on poking  fun of the various stereotypes:   Ray - the wimpy, weak,  mother's boy,    Mother-in-Law - the controlling mean spirited meddler, Wife - a nagging 'b' that can't get along with others,   etc.. 

While this is the nature of most sit-coms how each episode ends is also key to them;  they end up with the character(s) doing the put-downs realizing that they were the ones that were at fault or needed to grow-up \ improve etc.. 

Granted, Sheldon is a major 'pain in the A' and was designed to be an unlikeable character BUT at his core he is ok (but yea, one has to dig really deep).     This allows for the very common sit-com plot device of redemption.

• Like 1

If you don't enjoy "put-down" humor how did you like SEINFELD (you stated you did), which was much, much more mean-spirited than THE BIG BANG THEORY?

AND, let us not forget here in the case of BBT, every so often the characters show themselves to be self-aware enough to make the "put-down" jokes about themselves!

(...and funny thing here is that there's often times I wish a few souls around THIS place, and one in particular, would watch that show more and maybe learn how to do that!!!)

LOL

Thanks for enlightening me folks.  Now, forward and onward and awaaaay we gooooo.

Btw Im4movies2...as I hope you guessed, my earlier comment about "self-awareness" and "learning the ability to make the occasional "self-put-down" AND "one particular soul around here" was NOT directed your way!

(...you GOT that, didn't ya?!) ;)

LOL

My choices:  (I really can't "get into" them and don't really want to either)

John Wayne

Audrey Hepburn

Katherine Hepburn

Spencer Tracey

Mickey Rooney

Victor Mature

Barbara Stanwyck

Joan Crawford

Elizabeth Taylor

Marilyn Monroe

James Mason

Charles Laughton

Cary Grant

Tom Cruise

John Travolta

Nicolas Cage

Julia Roberts

Meryl Streep

Reese Silverspoon

George Clooney

Gwenyth Paltry

Angelina Jolie

Jennifer Anistan

Wow! For a film fan you sure seem to dislike many solid actors. (I'm not sure I could list even this many PEOPLE from anywhere that I dislike. No, I take that back. There is a long list of criminals and politicians I dislike!) i would be curious to see a list of actors you admire.

Wow! For a film fan you sure seem to dislike many solid actors. (I'm not sure I could list even this many PEOPLE from anywhere that I dislike. No, I take that back. There is a long list of criminals and politicians I dislike!) i would be curious to see a list of actors you admire.

For the studio-era looks to me that the poster is left with female MGM stars and male Warner Brother stars!  

My mother was a big fan of Paul Newman, but I've never really been able to get him very much.

I'm not sure exactly what it is.

My mother was a big fan of Paul Newman, but I've never really been able to get him very much.

I'm not sure exactly what it is.

I'm one of those who likes Newman.  Except for The Silver Chalice.  And the story goes that Newman himself took out an ad in LA when it was premiering on television to tell people not to watch it.  Of course, that made people all the more curiouser.

He has a larger nose in that one too.  The film may have been bad but I guess it paid for the nose job.

I think Newman's best work was in The Verdict.  The scene where he has to go into the washroom and be away from people because he is having a panic attack and cannot breath is a truly unique acting moment.

Too bad it is not on as part of the Mason tribute.  Mason is terrific in that one too.  They had a good director in Sidney Lumet.

He directed me once.  I'm exaggerating!  I was an extra in Network in the studio audience when Peter Finch as Howard Beal has his new show and doing the "Mad as Hell" bit.  I had a great deal of fun that day.  A dream come true for a teenage movie fan.

• Like 2

I think Newman's best work was in The Verdict.  The scene where he has to go into the washroom and be away from people because he is having a panic attack and cannot breath is a truly unique acting moment.

Too bad it is not on as part of the Mason tribute.  Mason is terrific in that one too.  They had a good director in Sidney Lumet.

He directed me once.  I'm exaggerating!  I was an extra in Network in the studio audience when Peter Finch as Howard Beal has his new show and doing the "Mad as Hell" bit.  I had a great deal of fun that day.  A dream come true for a teenage movie fan.

I agree that THE VERDICT is a great movie and that Paul Newman and James mason are very good in it. 

It's also one of my mother's favorite Paul Newman movies, but then again I don't remember her disliking any of his movies.

Great story about being in NETWORK.

Great story about being in NETWORK.

It was a fantastic day.  And my eyes were all on Lumet directing Finch.  It was "darling" this and "sweetheart" that ...

Hilarious.

I'm one of those who likes Newman.  Except for The Silver Chalice.  And the story goes that Newman himself took out an ad in LA when it was premiering on television to tell people not to watch it.  Of course, that made people all the more curiouser.

He has a larger nose in that one too.  The film may have been bad but I guess it paid for the nose job.

I'm looking.forward.to the night of Paul Newman/Joanne Woodward films.on June 1, starting off with three movies they did at Fox in the late 50s. The following day's primetime schedule also starts off with two Fox films.

It was a fantastic day.  And my eyes were all on Lumet directing Finch.  It was "darling" this and "sweetheart" that ...

Hilarious.

I really enjoyed Sidney Lumet's commentary about directing Marlon Brando and Anna Magnani in THE FUGITIVE KIND that was included with the special features on the Criterion Collection release of the movie.

According to Lumet, Magnani did not want to rehearse  much before shooting her scenes.

In one scene Brandon kept forgeting the same line in multiple takes of a lengthy piece of dialogue. Lumet believes that there was something about the speech that affected Brandon on a personal level to the point that he didn't want to complete it. Brandon even asked if they could to shoot the scene the next day but Lumet pressed on.  

I really enjoyed Sidney Lumet's commentary about directing Marlon Brando and Anna Magnani in THE FUGITIVE KIND that was included with the special features on the Criterion Collection release of the movie.

According to Lumet, Magnani did not want to rehearse  much before shooting her scenes.

In one scene Brandon kept forgeting the same line in multiple takes of a lengthy piece of dialogue. Lumet believes that there was something about the speech that affected Brandon on a personal level to the point that he didn't want to complete it. Brandon even asked if they could to shoot the scene the next day but Lumet pressed on.  

I wish they could include some directors like Lumet in the Summer Under the Stars.  Some of them were stars in their own right.

I wish they could include some directors like Lumet in the Summer Under the Stars.  Some of them were stars in their own right.

I would love to see Alfred Hitchcock honored as a star director. 

Kim Novak who was a very beautiful lady and starred in some big pictures.  But she was a bit stiff and I'm not sure how good an actress she actually was.

Kim Novak who was a very beautiful lady and starred in some big pictures.  But she was a bit stiff and I'm not sure how good an actress she actually was.

I do have a soft spot spot for THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE, which is good campy fun.

I've found that she's a bit stiff, especially in the beginning of Picnic.  When I first saw the movie (which I grew to really enjoy, mostly on the strength of William Holden, Rosalind Russell and Susan Strasberg's performances) and heard Novak's first lines in the film, I immediately thought "ugh.  She's terrible."  Her performance seems to improve throughout the film and she eventually grows on you.

I've had the same impression of her in Vertigo and Bell, Book and Candle which I also grew to enjoy. 

I don't know what it is about her, but she kind of grew on me after awhile.

Kind of like Grace Kelly.  When I first saw her, I thought she was a little stiff too, but she grew on me as well.  Now I really enjoy her.  She epitomizes the ice queen, lol. 

I've found that she's a bit stiff, especially in the beginning of Picnic.  When I first saw the movie (which I grew to really enjoy, mostly on the strength of William Holden, Rosalind Russell and Susan Strasberg's performances) and heard Novak's first lines in the film, I immediately thought "ugh.  She's terrible."  Her performance seems to improve throughout the film and she eventually grows on you.

I've had the same impression of her in Vertigo and Bell, Book and Candle which I also grew to enjoy. 

I don't know what it is about her, but she kind of grew on me after awhile.

Kind of like Grace Kelly.  When I first saw her, I thought she was a little stiff too, but she grew on me as well.  Now I really enjoy her.  She epitomizes the ice queen, lol. 

I fall for her chignon just like Jimmy does every time I see Vertigo.

• Like 1

I fall for her chignon just like Jimmy does every time I see Vertigo.

Novak probably had her best role in Vertigo and her most complex.  A few years ago, my husband and I stayed a night at The Hotel Vertigo in San Francisco.  It was known as Empire Hotel in Vertigo.  I requested to stay up on the top floor because I wanted to see the staircase (and I like being up high to get more of a view), well the top floor was a penthouse (not going to splurge on that) so I was in the second to top floor.  This was pretty much the view of the staircase from our room (I didn't take this photo).  It was pretty sweet. 

vertigo_blog_post_staircase.jpg

I want to see her role in the remake of Of Human Bondage, and The Legend of Lylah Clare because it sounds so campy.  Looking over her filmography, she's been in quite a few films that I liked--aside from Vertigo, I liked her in Picnic, Bell Book and Candle, The Man With the Golden Arm and Pffft!.  I can't say I enjoyed her in Kiss Me Stupid, but that's not her fault, I didn't enjoy anyone in that film.

• Like 1

I've not posted in this thread because I just can't reconcile both ends of the topic.

I can name actors that I just can't get into - that'd be easy enough. But I don't understand why I would want to get into them.