JeanneCrain

Does unrestricted, uncensored film-art corrupt the moral fabric of society?

93 posts in this topic

The folks from the outer boroughs do have their own way with

some words in the language (and I suppose Manhattanites do

too), but that's no reason for the rest of the country to follow.

I suppose Brooklynites have been piled on enough through the

years, but I'll just add that Thomas Wolfe wrote a short story with

the title Only the Dead Know Brooklyn. :)

Try the shortened version, perv. Okay, that goes through.

The p e r v e r t s united shall never be defeated.

I occasionally coach American actors in how to pronounce various British English accents.  It's much easier coaching the native New Yorkers than American actors from elsewhere in the country. The basic forms of New Yawk-ese have much more in common with RP British pronunciation than the accents of the midwest and elsewhere. New Yorkers say ARE-enge, for orange; so do the Brits. Other Americans say AW-renge. The Mary-marry-merry trinity, three words pronounced the same in much of America, are each pronounced differently in New York, the same way they are in England. It's much more of a challenge working with the boring accents of much of America, than it is with my fellow native New Yorkers.

One more example: take the word "awful." In New York and London, it's pronounced Awe-full.  In much of the rest of America, it's pronounced "offal," as if it were entrails of a butchered animal.

Saaaay...did YOU just say "BORING accents of much of America" here, dude???!!!

Why, I'll have YOU know that THIS old native Californian gets complimented on HIS voice and HIS enunciation of this language quite often!

(...or is that pronounced "offen"?...eeh...whatever) ;)

Btw Swithin ol' boy, OF COURSE it's "easy" for you to have those "New Yawkers" talk like those folks over there who still add those dumb (and French-based) superfluous-u's to the spelling of certain words, 'cause they BOTH don't know how AND when to pronounce the letter "R"! In THAT case, you ought to move to BOSTON, and then your work would be even EASIER!!!

(...I mean c'mon now...that stuff that flows out of your faucets is called "WA-ter", NOT "Waad-dah" OR "WOO-tah", dude!!!) 

;)

Saaaay...did YOU just say "BORING accents of much of America" here, dude???!!!

Why, I'll have YOU know that THIS old native Californian gets complimented on HIS voice and HIS enunciation of this language quite often!

(...or is that pronounced "offen"?...eeh...whatever) ;)

I'm sure your accent is AH-sum, Dargo (rhymes with possum)!

I'm sure your accent is AH-sum, Dargo (rhymes with possum)

!

LOL

Nah, I never use that word. It makes me sound too much like a certain former co-host of The Essentials!

(...nope, and besides, the few times I HAVE used it, I got a sudden urge to say something "knocked my socks off" TOO, and so THAT cured me of ever usin' it)

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I just read through this thread and now my fabric is corrupted. :( 

Oh, whew--From the header, I'd thought Jeanne Crain had bumped the thread herself, in support of her own "Why did TCM show Maitresse??" thread when that one wasn't satisfactorily to the answers she wanted.

(Unless maybe she did, and the Moderators pulled it??)

• Haha 2

On 3/11/2015 at 8:45 PM, JakeHolman said:

Where is a Cecil B. DeMille in today's Hollywood?

Cecile B. DeMille who filmed all those **** scenes and Claudette Colbert up to her nipples in ****' milk to show how terrible and perverted those pagans were?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rosebette said:

Cecile B. DeMille who filmed all those **** scenes and Claudette Colbert up to her nipples in ****' milk to show how terrible and perverted those pagans were?  

gosh golly .... 2015? ... hell, I go back to 2008 ... man those were the really really good days on the tcm board .... 

i prefer charlton heston, yul brynner, anne baxter and others ... will be watching again this yr. ...

this movie had a profound effect on many who truly understand ...

DeMille was a great director ...

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I just read through this thread and now my fabric is corrupted. :( 

I just read through it, too, and now my accent is corrupted. :wacko:

Hmmmmmm...... but is it safe to re-open this for serious discussion?...

It's just so obvious that Hollywood left-wing preverts are destroying this great country

reel by reel, film by film. They are sociopaths wrapped in a nama inside Fidel's old

cigars. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

It's just so obvious that Hollywood left-wing preverts are destroying this great country

reel by reel, film by film. They are sociopaths wrapped in a nama inside Fidel's old

cigars. 

"PREverts"?!

(...somewhere Archie Bunker and Col. 'Bat' Guano are now nodding their heads in agreement with the above comment)

;)

Moral fabric? What moral fabric? What morals do a bunch of 'effin palsied morons possess? America is still the nation of dunderheads, last time I looked. On a colossal scale. We incessantly spout off as if we're the apogee of humanity, yet we've only been around a couple hundred measly years. Proof? Pudding? Hello.

Tell me I'm wrong.

26 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Moral fabric? What moral fabric? What morals do a bunch of 'effin palsied morons possess? America is still the nation of dunderheads, last time I looked. On a colossal scale. Tell me I'm wrong.

Okay then, you're wrong, Sarge! Well, in a way, anyway.

You see, in the grand scheme of things, we Americans are no more a land of dunderheads and morally challenged individuals than are those in any other country.

However, the SHAME of this being true is that with all the advantages and opportunities we have in this country NOT to be as much so, we still are.

(...although, perhaps the reason I feel this way is that I've never been inclined to believe in all of that "American Exceptionalism" crap...both the "good" AND "bad" aspects to whatever the hell that sort of thing is supposed to mean!) ;)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EricJ said:

Oh, whew--From the header, I'd thought Jeanne Crain had bumped the thread herself, in support of her own "Why did TCM show Maitresse??" thread when that one wasn't satisfactorily to the answers she wanted.

(Unless maybe she did, and the Moderators pulled it??)

I'd forgotten about this thread. The title of it is quite over the top.

Can we assume she's not in favor of tax dollars being allocated to any sort of endowment for the arts, if said artwork does not uphold prudish conservative values..?

Imagine being afraid that art will ruin society. What a sad point of view.

• Thanks 1

I'll try my best( and in my way of "thinking"  ;)  ) to answer the question posed in this thread's title......

Only if you let it.  It's OUR OWN responsibility to allow whatever we wish to influence us, and the choices WE make, as individuals, are what counts.  But what does cause some of the problems that others like to link to art, movies, music, whatever, are many people's difficulty with the concept of "individuality".  And in some quarters, where some might say, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" say, "Monkey see, monkey do!"  ;) 

We here in America, used to razz the Red Chinese for them all wearing the same drab gray "uniforms" with those little gray caps and "tsk-tsk" that government for not allowing those poor Chinese to wear whatever clothes they choose to, claiming, "Lucky for US we can wear what we WISH!"  Sure.   But, how many times have millions of "free" Americans ran biting and scratching at the nearest clothing store in order to try and be the FIRST to wear some fashion that MILLIONS of "free" Americans will be seen wearing all over the place?   For instance, how many times over the years  have any of you seen THESE Mu'fu's------

Small goatee with a double chin,  beige ballcap with a "bent to a frown" bill, with and without sunglasses?  Or.....

Kid with a "5 O'clock shadow" haircut with a ballcap with the bill turned backwards, or over to one side or another and wearing a "Tommy" T-shirt?

Girls who looked as if they lined their lips, eyes and brows with a Sharpie?

People everywhere sporting sweatshirts emblazoned with "B.U.M. Equipment"?  

"Individuals", eh?

;)

Now, I've been razzed by people for not having a "smartphone".  Actually, despite my typical gripes about 'em, I really don't see much wrong with them, and not really interested in 'em.  And it's OK with me if people wish to buy and use them.  But, as long as THEY truly want one, and not because they're "the latest thing".  And my NOT having one seems to bother a sister in law of mine terribly.  She insists I should get one because, "Everybody ELSE has one!"  And it saddens me that after all these years she hasn't learned one thing about me.....

Two of the most repellent words to me concerning anything are, "Everybody else".   As in---

"Everybody ELSE is...."/wears/does/(whatever)...

In the case of movies, some worry about the affect on "morals" and the "moral fabric" when it comes to children.  But, it ISN'T the responsibility of the movie producer, screenwriter, director or whomever to instill moral values in YOUR children.  And sometimes none of it has ANY effect, and sometimes an OPPOSITE effect than what's feared.  for example( and I've told this story often here, whenever this sort of topic comes up, and it often does...)

Back about 1984, me, my ex and oldest daughter( two months away from being 12 years old) were watching the 1980 movie THE COMPETITION on cable(still relatively new to us) .  My daughter seemed engrossed in it until a scene came on which showed AMY IRVING and RICHARD DREYFUS rolling around naked on his motel bed.  She then let out a loud, disgusted sounding "TSK!", waved a dismissive hand towards the TV saying, "It FIGURES! As soon as some move gets going good, they throw THIS junk in it!"  :D  Me and her mother cracked up then as it seemed to be the sort of thing parents worried about will unduly sway their kids off the "moral" path!  ;)  

Turned out there ARE some kids who can think for themselves.  I mean, if you keep telling your kids that what's in most movies and TV shows, except documentaries and such , ISN'T real, they'll quicker than you think get it.  

My Mom had her own sort of take on it.....  She often used to say, "Parents today have it EASY!"  I asked her what she meant and she said, "When it comes to speech.  Like when YOU guys( referring to me and my siblings) learned to talk and would let out a "blue streak"( her phrase for cussing), we didn't HAVE cable TV or RAP music to blame it on.  WE were the ones responsible."  She of course, was being facetious, but did have a point.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

At least it was not I who bumped this old thread ;)

Yes, they can't blame you this time.

• Like 1

Truly. If I had known how that horseplay of mine was going to sully my reputation around here I never would have done it. Just didn't know folks were so sensitive! Some veteran forum-ites like 'Hibi' still aren't talking to me. I'm persona non-grata ;)

3 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Truly. If I had known how that horseplay of mine was going to sully my reputation around here I never would have done it. Just didn't know folks were so sensitive! Some veteran forum-ites like 'Hibi' still aren't talking to me. I'm persona non-grata ;)

How sad. There are a few who don't talk to me, from some tiff ages ago that I've mostly forgotten. 

But when someone doesn't reply to me directly, because they don't want to, I usually say a silent thank you...because they are really indicating they don't want to bring their negativity directly to me. And that's a good thing!

There are still a lot of meaningful discussions to be had with others who are good at communicating on a forum like this.

That's a healthy attitude to take. I myself have really been working on bettering my interactions but it can be like, "three steps forward, two steps back". I'm a friendly 'Doctor Jekyll' Monday through Thursday, but Friday to Sunday 'Mister Hyde' comes out. I'm surprised I've lasted on the site this long. I'm surprised I get home on Friday and Saturday nights at all without winding up in Brooklyn tombs or Lenox Hill Hospital. Job stress...

• Haha 2