Barton_Keyes

TCM is rebranding 'THE ESSENTIALS, JR.' series

4 posts in this topic

Beginning this year, TCM's summertime Sunday night programming, which has for some time aired under the 'ESSENTIALS, JR.' title, is going to be updated and retitled 'MOVIE CAMP'. The intent of the program seems to be the same -- introducing young people to classic film. No word yet on who the new host will be, or if they'll be bringing back Bill Hader, a very funny comic actor who TCM seems to think is more charming as himself than I do.

I noticed the Movie Camp label on the new schedule and it did not occur to me it was a replacement/rebranding for the old Essentials Jr. series. Thanks for pointing that out. 

It sounds kind of like summer camp this way and a bit more kid-friendly. I am sure if you polled a group of kids and asked them what the phrase 'movie essentials' means they would not be able to explain it very well. So this new brand name seems a bit clearer.

since TCM now has a deal with Disney, will this enable TCM to blend Disney stuff into the Summer Camp moniker? it seems like the two showings of Disney features/toons happened on a Sunday (at the expense of Silent Sundays/Imports) and future material for TCM airings would make a smooth way to schedule Disney (and some of their old TV programs) for Sunday/Summer Camp broadcast. so will Disney programs, little by little, take over Sunday evenings? or am i a little too paranoid?

since TCM now has a deal with Disney, will this enable TCM to blend Disney stuff into the Summer Camp moniker

I was wondering about that, too. Maltin seems like he would be perfect for the series geared to kids. But maybe his deal with TCM is just to do one night every few months.

I guess we will see what happens in June.

• Like 1