Sign in to follow this  
Barton_Keyes

TCM is rebranding 'THE ESSENTIALS, JR.' this year

6 posts in this topic

Beginning this year, TCM's summertime Sunday night programming, which has for some time aired under the 'ESSENTIALS, JR.' title, is going to be updated and retitled 'MOVIE CAMP'. The intent of the program seems to be the same -- introducing young people to classic film. No word yet on who the new host will be, or if they'll be bringing back Bill Hader, a very funny comic actor who TCM seems to think is more charming as himself than I do.

• Like 2

This is what I wrote in the Essentials sub-forum. I will re-post it here:

I noticed the Movie Camp label on the new schedule and it did not occur to me it was a replacement/rebranding for the old Essentials Jr. series. Thanks for pointing that out. 

It sounds kind of like summer camp this way and a bit more kid-friendly. I am sure if you polled a group of kids and asked them what the phrase 'movie essentials' means they would not be able to explain it very well. So this new brand name seems a bit clearer.

• Like 1

TCM has announced on Twitter that the co-hosts for this new summer series will be Oscar-winning filmmakers William Joyce (previously a guest on the TCM podcast) and Brandon Oldenburg.

The pair is responsible for the acclaimed 2011 animated short THE FANTASTIC FLYING BOOKS OF MR. MORRIS LESSMORE. That film will be airing on TCM on June 21 as part of a Movie Camp double feature that also includes Buster Keaton's near-masterpiece STEAMBOAT BILL, JR. (1928).

I expect that more information on this forthcoming series will be announced shortly.

• Like 1

TCM has announced on Twitter that the co-hosts for this new summer series will be Oscar-winning filmmakers William Joyce (previously a guest on the TCM podcast) and Brandon Oldenburg.

The pair is responsible for the acclaimed 2011 animated short THE FANTASTIC FLYING BOOKS OF MR. MORRIS LESSMORE. That film will be airing on TCM on June 21 as part of a Movie Camp double feature that also includes Buster Keaton's near-masterpiece STEAMBOAT BILL, JR. (1928).

I expect that more information on this forthcoming series will be announced shortly.

As always, thanks for the updates, Barton! Glad they're switching hosts...it was time.

While we continue to wait for the August schedule, the full schedule for the MOVIE CAMP series is available here: http://moviecamp.tcm.com/

The films scheduled for Augusts are:

August 2: THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (1938)

August 9: STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (1951)

August 16: THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951)

August 23: SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952)

August 30: MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN (1936)

Assuming that TCM will still be doing the Summer Under the Stars series this year, this allows us to guess at five more potential honorees.

August 2 could be given to any number of people -- Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Claude Rains, Basil Rathbone. August 9 will likely be Robert Walker. I would imagine that August 16 will be Patricia Neal day. August 23 will probably be Gene Kelly day, although Debbie Reynolds is not an impossibility. August 30 is a toss-up between Jean Arthur and Gary Cooper.

• Like 1

While we continue to wait for the August schedule, the full schedule for the MOVIE CAMP series is available here: http://moviecamp.tcm.com/

The films scheduled for Augusts are:

August 2: THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (1938)

August 9: STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (1951)

August 16: THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951)

August 23: SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952)

August 30: MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN (1936)

Assuming that TCM will still be doing the Summer Under the Stars series this year, this allows us to guess at five more potential honorees.

August 2 could be given to any number of people -- Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Claude Rains, Basil Rathbone. August 9 will likely be Robert Walker. I would imagine that August 16 will be Patricia Neal day. August 23 will probably be Gene Kelly day, although Debbie Reynolds is not an impossibility. August 30 is a toss-up between Jean Arthur and Gary Cooper.

Good guessing. August 9th could be Ruth Roman.

Also, remember they have set aside two or three days each August for character actors. So the 2nd could be Eugene Pallette and the 23rd could be Jean Hagen. I agree that the 16th will likely be Patricia Neal's day.