Casablanca100views

Charlotte's Favorite Movie Music

59 posts in this topic

Herrmann wasn't the only composer to Hitchcock.   Rozsa composed the soundtrack to Spellbound, and included an early use of a theremin.

So hauntingly beautiful.

• Like 2

I'm not sure who Charlotte is, but elswhere in these forums, in similar threads, I've posted a few of my favorite movie scores are:

David Holms score for the 2001 version of OCEAN'S ELEVEN...

The work done by T-Bone Burnett and others for O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?...

Then there's all the cleverly "era correct" music written by a list that includes...

TOM HANKS

ADAM SCHLESINGER

RICH ELIAS

SCOTT ROGERS

MIKE PICARILLO

GARY GOETZMAN

and

HOWARD SHORE

for 1996's THAT THING YOU DO

And I'll include any and just about all of that very early jazz music that often winds up as background score in many WOODY ALLEN films.

JERRY GOLDSMITH'S score for PAPILLON(1973)

And, whenever I discuss a movie "score", I usually mean ALL the music, NOT just any popular songs that might have come out of it.  Which is WHY I always also include ALL the music heard in THE WIZARD OF OZ, by HAROLD ARLEN...YIP HARBURG...and...HERB STOTHART.  Don't know for sure WHO wrote WHICH parts, I just sit back, listen and enjoy.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I'm not sure who Charlotte is, but elswhere in these forums, in similar threads, I've posted a few of my favorite movie scores are:

David Holms score for the 2001 version of OCEAN'S ELEVEN...

The work done by T-Bone Burnett and others for O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?...

Then there's all the cleverly "era correct" music written by a list that includes...

TOM HANKS

ADAM SCHLESINGER

RICH ELIAS

SCOTT ROGERS

MIKE PICARILLO

GARY GOETZMAN

and

HOWARD SHORE

for 1996's THAT THING YOU DO

And I'll include any and just about all of that very early jazz music that often winds up as background score in many WOODY ALLEN films.

JERRY GOLDSMITH'S score for PAPILLON(1973)

And, whenever I discuss a movie "score", I usually mean ALL the music, NOT just any popular songs that might have come out of it.  Which is WHY I always also include ALL the music heard in THE WIZARD OF OZ, by HAROLD ARLEN...YIP HARBURG...and...HERB STOTHART.  Don't know for sure WHO wrote WHICH parts, I just sit back, listen and enjoy.

Sepiatone

Youtube is slowly getting easier to locate an entire score for a movie. I tend with the 30s-40s more myself, so to each his own.  John Williams seems to have recieved all the glory concerning scores in the last few decades, and I am glad just to be able to post some personal favorites and recognition for composers of their day.   I had no idea there was a second thread.  Good, you have a spot for your favorites too.  

Here's some more Franz Waxman.

The score for Taras Bulba, much later in 1962: