FredCDobbs

GUESS WHO?

2,864 posts in this topic

Open thread for now. If I can think of something or someone, I'll post later if no one else has.

No real theme here.  Can you identify these folks?

1.  Here is a star shopping with her pet deer.  It must be a service deer.

Candid Photos Of Classic Hollywood Stars (21 pics) 

2.  This star has several female admirers as he tries to work.
Candid Photos Of Classic Hollywood Stars (21 pics) 

3.  A rare color photo of these three.
8b66051946a75c50c993c27dc8e5478d-e148934 

4. Little Carol became a much loved TV star.
Carol Burnett 

5.  This guy did not go into acting, although some may disagree.

Little Donald Trump 

6.  This fine looking boy became a fine looking movie actor.

[BORN] Montgomery Clift / Born: Edward Montgomery Clift, October 17, 1920 in Omaha, Nebraska, USA / Died: July 23, 1966 (age 45) in New York City, New York, USA #actor 

7.  Here's another pretty boy.  He kept that image as an adult actor.

DOH! ha ha ha hunky Prince Valiant - no, Brad Pitt! 

8. This southern gentleman became a major TV star.

Andy Griffith 

9.  This freckle faced cutie became a singing star.

Janis Joplin 

10.  This young lady married into a major political family.

barbara-bush.jpg 439×669 pixels 

Miles, I'm Très disappointed that you couldn't find a photo of the most beautiful little girl who ever married into a political family and became the most popular First Lady of the 20th century--  Jackie Bouvier.

BTW-- Rose Kennedy took a lot of childhood pictures of Jack too. LOL

Maybe next time.

1) Audrey Hepburn

2) Rock Hudson

3) The Lane Sisters

Princess, You are correct with your guesses.  #1 is Audrey Hepburn with her pet deer, and #2 is Rock Hudson in his trailer on the set of "A Farewell To Arms".  #3 is indeed the Lane sisters.  Left to right we have Rosemary, Lola, and Priscilla.  Lola was the oldest of the three.  Rosemary was about eight years younger, and Priscilla was bout a year and a half younger than Rosemary. 

I'm sorry I didn't post one of Jackie Kennedy, but her face didn't change much from childhood to adulthood, so it would have been too easy for you.

Related image 

Image result for jackie kennedy young 

Good work, Princess.  Now we need the other seven.

• Thanks 1

No question about it, you are correct on both counts, Lavender.  Now let's see if we can get photos #6 through 10.

The boy in #6 actually had a twin sister.  I think you can see the resemblance here.

• monty-twin.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1337707721191 

The boy in #7 stayed blonde as an adult, but the boy in #8 did not.
    The girl in #9 died before age thirty.
    No more hints at this time for the young woman in #10.  You're on your own.

Well, although she was no Jackie Kennedy, this woman certainly will have her name go down in history books with an Asterisk along with First Lady Abigail Adams, as the only two first ladies who were a wife and a mother of a president: Barbara Pierce AKA Barbara Bush.

Barbara will have maybe two Asterisk because she's also a distant relative of Franklin Pierce, the 14th President of the United States.

Very good work Lawrence, Lavender, and Princess.  I hope that the clues helped.  We have them all now.  Lavender and Princess don't post photos, so Lawrence gets the thread.  

#4 is George Zucco

#6 is Lionel Atwill

So far, the ones that have been identified all played Professor Moriarty in Sherlock Holmes movies.

• Thanks 1

#1 was a European character actor from the silents into the sound era, despite his thick accent.

#2 was a Scottish actor who co-starred in many major roles of the 1920's. His brother was also in films.

#3 may be the least well known now, but he was a highly respected Welsh actor of stage, screen & radio. He was the first to play the villainous role more than once.

#7 is easily the most famous of the lot, but I intentionally chose an obscuring photo.

#8 & #9 are from well-regarded TV versions, although I've seen neither.

#2 Ernest Torrence

#7 Laurence Olivier

#9 Andrew Scott 

I should have recognized Andrew Scott from the start, although I haven't watched Sherlock recently I have seen the show and love it, especially Benedict Cumberbatch.

• Like 1

Since we have the common theme, finding the rest was not difficult.

#1 is Gustav von Seyffertitz.  How would you like to go through life with that name?  He played Moriarty opposite John Barrymore as Holmes in 1922.

#3 is Lyn Harding.  He played Moriarty in a couple of thirties films that starred Arthur Wontner as Holmes.

#8 is Eric Porter.  He worked with Jeremy Brett in the BBC's television series in the eighties that was broadcast on PBS in the U.S.

By the way, #2, Ernest Torrence, may be best known for playing Buster Keaton's father in "Steamboat Bill Jr.", and Captain Hook in the silent version of "Peter Pan".

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Lawrence.   I have a very busy day, so I'll leave the thread open for anyone else to post.  If no one does by tomorrow, I'll try to come up with something.

It's been said that today, December 7th, is a day that will live in infamy.  It's also my ninth anniversary with the TCM message boards.  To celebrate, I'll give you some rather easy photos to identify.  There is a common theme.  Can you find it?

• Annex%20-%20Carey%20Sr.,%20Harry_01.jpg 

• the-doolins-of-oklahoma-randolph-scott-1949.jpg 

• 10340955_125662671499.jpg 

• GeorgeMontgomery.jpg

• john_hart.jpg 

• 1171336200.jpg 

• 5915-11422.jpg 

• 200full-.jpg 

• 8d06141b8b03eb1612ca7b043b004ff3.jpg 

• kevin-dillon-mullet.png?w=604 

So far, all of the answers from Princess and Lawrence are correct.  I'm surprised that no one has gotten the connection yet. 

The photo of #5 was from a TV series he was in about 1957.  Some years earlier he had starred as a TV series western hero when the original star took a year off because of a contract dispute.

#6 is an English actor.  He appeared in a British mini-series in the early seventies that was broadcast in the U.S. on PBS.  I believe it was on "Masterpiece Theater".