FredCDobbs

GUESS WHO?

3,959 posts in this topic

Lavender nailed it.. YAYY!!

:)

Could he be this guy..?

GS0K7oE.png

Nope, that is Reginald Denny as "Oberon." As John Daly would say "one down, and nine to go."

Fred, the question was, can you pick out Tyrone Power Sr. in the photograph? If you are guessing that one of the actors is Henry Wilcoxon, that is incorrect, although there are several famous actors in the photo.

Fred, the question was, can you pick out Tyrone Power Sr. in the photograph? If you are guessing that one of the actors is Henry Wilcoxon, that is incorrect, although there are several famous actors in the photo.

Sorry. I'm still half asleep. :)

This would be fun research but no can do on this computer (it's my friend's) so my contribution of Tyrone Power, Sr. is  all I can contribute to this round, sorry.Can't make out anyone's face enough to identify them from that last photo 

This would be fun research but no can do on this computer (it's my friend's) so my contribution of Tyrone Power, Sr. is  all I can contribute to this round, sorry.Can't make out anyone's face enough to identify them from that last photo 

Yep, the image is too blurry for me. Also, I can't tell if all those guys are on stage together or if it is a composite photo of all the different guys. The costumes seem to be from different plays.

Anyway, I'm still sleepy. :)

This is not a composite photo, it's a shot from a pageant called "Memories" from a May 1921 newspaper. I cropped the photo, because they are seven more actors on the right, but none that I knew.

The ones I've heard of are, left to right by position:

1. Reginald Denny as "Oberon"

3. Tyrone Power as "Macbeth"

5. Edmund Lowe as "Antony"

7. George Arliss as "Shylock"

8. Lionel Atwill as "Hamlet"

10. John Barrymore as "Romeo"

There is a companion photo on the same page, from the same pageant, featuring all women from Shakespearean plays. The women include Ethel Barrymore, Marion Davies, and Norma Talmadge.

Interestingly, there is also a profile photo (no surprise) of John Barrymore, from a play written by his wife, "Michael Strange." I had to look that one up - Michael Strange was the pen name for Blanche Oelrichs.

Here is a link to the page:

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030214/1921-05-15/ed-1/seq-50/#date1=1836&index=6&rows=20&words=Power+Tyrone&searchType=basic&sequence=0&state=&date2=1922&proxtext=tyrone+power&y=0&x=0&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

There is a companion photo on the same page, from the same pageant, featuring all women from Shakespearean plays. The women include Ethel Barrymore, Marion Davies, and Norma Talmadge.

Interestingly, there is also a profile photo (no surprise) of John Barrymore, from a play written by his wife, "Michael Strange." I had to look that one up - Michael Strange was the pen name for Blanche Oelrichs.

Here is a link to the page:

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030214/1921-05-15/ed-1/seq-50/#date1=1836&index=6&rows=20&words=Power+Tyrone&searchType=basic&sequence=0&state=&date2=1922&proxtext=tyrone+power&y=0&x=0&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

That is very interesting, seeing all those famous actors on stage at the same time.

Does your newspaper report say what theater they were in?

-----------

Ok, I see it now. At your link, just above your red marker on the left of the page.

Thanks  :)

attachicon.gifphoto6.jpg   click on photo to enlarge

Yes that's Marjorie Lord. She'll be 97 July26!  Beautiful Ann Archer's mom. Good work Rich, your thread (too bad you don't watch Ray Donovan, season 3 premiere just finished, great show)

OK, I will post one sometime tomorrow - I have a few to choose from. If anyone is in a rush, they can post one in the meantime, and I will jump back in after we get it.

No, this actress does not go that far back. She made some silents, but is well-known for her sound films.

Not a bad guess, but this actress was known for a variety of performances in many different genres.

Hmm .. this one is tougher than I thought it would be.

This is a very well-known character actress, and she had important roles in many famous films.

Hmm .. this one is tougher than I thought it would be.

This is a very well-known character actress, and she had important roles in many famous films.

Thinking out loud......

Looks to me like you got this photo out of your old newspaper file, so we can’t find it during any Google photo search.

Let’s say this photo was taken in 1920, and the lady looks to be about 40 years old. So she was born in 1880. If her last film was in 1964, she would have been 84 years old in that film.

Of course, I don’t know when your photo was taken or how old she really was at that time.