FredCDobbs

GUESS WHO?

3,264 posts in this topic

#1 is Jack Pennick.

#4 is Michael Berryman.

#5 is Richard "Jaws" Kiel.

I hope that everyone here had a Happy Mother's Day, and I also hope that none of your moms looked like Anne Ramsey.

Thanks to Shutoo and Lawrence.  We have six of them now.

We still need #2. 

Image result for walter long

He menaced Laurel and Hardy in a couple of films, and he also had something in common with the gentlemen in these next two photos.

Image result for guy madison wild bill hickok 

Image result for jerome cowan  

Now do you know #2?

On 5/13/2018 at 9:17 PM, MilesArcher said:

I hope that everyone here had a Happy Mother's Day, and I also hope that none of your moms looked like Anne Ramsey.

Thanks to Shutoo and Lawrence.  We have six of them now.

We still need #2. 

Image result for walter long

He menaced Laurel and Hardy in a couple of films, and he also had something in common with the gentlemen in these next two photos.

Image result for guy madison wild bill hickok 

Image result for jerome cowan  

Now do you know #2?

Walter Long ?

Yes, it's Walter Long.  The other two are Guy Madison and Jerome Cowan.  What the three of them have in common is that they all played characters named Miles Archer.  Walter Long played the character in the first version of "The Maltese Falcon" in the early 1930's.  Jerome Cowan played the part in the better known 1941 version.  Guy Madison played a character named Miles Archer in a western called "The Charge At Feather River".

Shutoo got three and Lawrence got three.  Lavender got one.  Since Shutoo got in first, he gets to go next.

• Like 1

Recently, on the radio, I heard two old songs by Gary Puckett And The Union Gap.  One was "Young Girl" and the other was "This Girl Is A Woman Now".  That gave me an idea to post photos of young movie actresses.  Some of these gals had adult careers and some did not.  I will warn you that this may not be real easy.  Some of these photos go back quite a few years.  How many can you identify?

1.  Image result for mary kornman actress 

2.  Image result for dawn o'day actress child 

#2 changed her name when she got a bit older.

3.  Image result for virginia grey actress child 

4.   Image result for virginia weidler actress child 

5.  Related image 

6.   image.jpeg.e9ffb9fde459e02f3cbd37d5ef3278a2.jpeg 

7.  image.jpeg.5c07ab850485016109707b4648a85886.jpeg 

8.   image.jpeg.2043dbc4486b0632ac5dfeadd0657484.jpeg 

9.   Image result for gloria jean actress child 

10.   Image result for joan carroll actress child 

11.  Image result for peggy ann garner actress child 

12.  Mary Lee (actress) image1findagravecomphotos250photos201014452 

13.    Image result for sharyn moffett actress child 

14.  Image result for connie marshall actress child 

15.  Related image 

The years of their childhood collectively run from the 1920's to the 1940's. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Those four unnumbered photos at the bottom should not have been there.  They were alternate photo choices for #3, #8, #10, and #13, respectively.  Princess is correct.  #4 is Virginia Weidler and #10 is Joan Carroll. 

Miles, I had a million interruptions today so I'm going to post the ones I answered in one response to make it easier for you to keep track

1.  Mary Kornman ?

3.  Virginia Grey ?

7.  Mary Gillis

9.  Gloria Jean

11. Peggy Ann Garner

12. Mary Lee

13. Sharyn Moffett

14. Connie Marshall

15. Karolyn Grimes

Very good, Lavender and Princess.  We still need #2, #5, #6, and #8. 

#2 is pictured here as a young child with adult actress Betty Compson in a silent movie called "The Fast Set".

Image result for dawn o'day actress child with betty compson 

This next one shows her as a teen.

Related image 

Here #5 with Bing Crosby.

Image result for edith fellows pennies from heaven 

Next is #6 with some movie cast mates.

Related image 

Next is #8 with Darryl Hickman in a movie that has been shown often on TCM.

Image result for shirley ,ills the grapes of wrath 

I hope that these hints help a bit.

59 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Very good, Lavender and Princess.  We still need #2, #5, #6, and #8. 

#2 is pictured here as a young child with adult actress Betty Compson in a silent movie called "The Fast Set".

Image result for dawn o'day actress child with betty compson 

This next one shows her as a teen.

Related image 

Here #5 with Bing Crosby.

Image result for edith fellows pennies from heaven 

Next is #6 with some movie cast mates.

Related image 

Next is #8 with Darryl Hickman in a movie that has been shown often on TCM.

Image result for shirley ,ills the grapes of wrath 

I hope that these hints help a bit.

Now it's a cinch. I thought I had answered Marjorie Kent but I guess I forgot to.

2. Anne Shirley ( that photo from Anne of Green Gables makes her obvious)

5. Obviously Edith Fellows ( love her )

6. Marjorie Kent ( Blondie and Dagwood's daughter)

8. Shirley Mills with Daryl from the Grapes of Wrath

We have them all now. 

#1 Mary Kornman was one of the first stars of the "Our Gang" comedies in the 1920's .  She did have an adult career for a while, appearing as John  Wayne's leading lady in a western called "The Desert Trail"  By 1940, her acting career was over.  

hqdefault.jpg

#2 Anne Shirley had been using the name Dawn O'Day as a child in silent films.  She took the name of the character that she played in 1934's "Anne Of Green Gables" as her professional name.  She played Barbara Stanwyck's daughter in "Stella Dallas" in 1937.  Anne's career lasted unto the mid-1940's.

anneshirley39.jpg 

#3.  That photo of Virginia Grey is from a silent version of "Uncle Tom's Cabin" where she played Little Eva, who is taken up to heaven.  Virginia had a long career.  She may be the only actress to work with Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Brothers, The Three Stooges, and Abbott and Costello.  She worked with Johnny Weissmuller in both a Tarzan picture and  a Jungle Jun film.  She even made westerns with Roy Rogers and Gene Autry.

7l9IHLK10pW0k2kyTT6X6rGrtEy.jpg

#4 Virginia Weidler was one of the most popular child actresses of the thirties and early forties.  She was in several A-List movies at MGM, but after making "Best Foot Forward" in 1943 at age 16, she turned her back on Hollywood, never to return again.

fg_large.jpg 

#5.  Edith Fellows played Virginia Weidler's sister in "Mrs. Wiggs Of The Cabbage Patch" in 1934.  Her big breakthrough film was "Pennies From Heaven" with Bing Crosby in 1936.  She played Polly Pepper in the "Five Little Peppers" series in 1939 and 1940.  She also was in a couple of westerns with Gene Autry.  She continued acting in movies and television into the 1990's.

Edith-Fellows-full-body-10.jpg

#6  Marjorie Kent played Cookie Bumstead in 16 of the 28 Blondie movies.  That was her entire acting resume.  She retired from acting at age eleven.

#7  Ann Gillis is perhaps best known for portraying Becky Thatcher in M<GM's 1938 technicolor production of "The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer".  By her early twenties, she had pretty much retired from acting, but she came back with some sporadic appearances in the 1960's, including "2001: A Space Odyssey". 

295d8ff2d53a53830300b2910deec616.jpg 

#8  Shirley Mills made a big splash, literally, in a 1938 exploitation film called "Child Bride".  She is best known for playing Ruthie Joad in "The Grapes Of Wrath".  She made a few movies and TV shows in the 1950's, when she also had a career as a professional dancer and advertising model. 

th?id=OIP.qJPyopvC7NJVmV9oqeAV7AAAAA&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300 

#9  Gloria Jean was another young soprano who Universal signed to possibly be the next Deanna Durbin.  She worked with both Bing Crosby and W.C. Fields.  She did have an adult career appearing in a few minor musicals as well as non-musical movies and TV shows up until the early 1960's.  Gloria Jean, Shirley Mills, Ann Gillis, and Viginia Weidler all appeared in a 1938 movie called "The Under-Pup", which was set at a girl'summer camp. 

600full-gloria-jean.jpg 

#10  Joan Carroll is best known for "Meet Me In St. Louis" and "The Bells Of St. Mary's", after which she retired from acting at age fourteen.  She had also appeared with Anne Shirley in "Anne Of Windy Poplars" in 1940.

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.playbill.com%2F2b%2F58%2Fd901f6f443a7b2a6044167c1db65%2Fjoan-carroll.jpg

#11  Peggy Ann Garner was so good as little Francie in "a Tree Grows In Brooklyn".  She also appeared with Johnny Sheffield in a Bomba" movie.  Her adult career included playing against type in a movie called "Black Widow".  She worked frequently in TV until about 1980.

peggy-ann-garner.jpg

#12  Mary lee had been a radio singer with the Ted Weems orchestra at age twelve, working with Perry Como and Marilyn Maxwell.  She played the bratty little sister of Frankie Thomas in "Nancy Drew, Reporter.  She then moved to universal Studios" where she worked frequently with Gene Autry".  He referred to her as his "Little Darlin' ".   When Gene was away in the service, she appeared in a couple of movies with Roy Rogers.  She got married at age nineteen and retired from acting to raise a family at age twenty.  She never came back to show business. 

uTo6UYyKfCf7LMWmeBSkQ5cxalH.jpg

#13   Little Sharyn Moffett was seen recently on TCM in a couple of movies with dogs.  She was in "rusty Leads The Way" as a blind girl.  she was in "Banjo" just a few days ago, and she was in "My Pal Wolf".   Her acting career was over at age fifteen with the exception of one TV appearance at age nineteen.

#14 Connie Marshall was very busy in the 1940's.  Her movie included "Wake Up And Dream" with John Payne, and Mother Wore Tights" with Betty Grable.  Connie and Sharyn Moffett played the daughters of Cary Grant and Myrna Loy in "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House".  Her acting career ended at age sixteen in 1954.

Connie_Marshall.jpg 

#15 Karolyn Grimes will forever be known as Little Zuzu from "It's A Wonderful Life".  She also played the daughter of Loretta Young and David Niven in "The Bishop's Wife", so she will be seen in holiday classics for many years to come.  Her acting career ended at age fourteen in 1954.  She is still with us.  She will have a birthday on the fourth of July.

Karolyn-Grimes-Jimmy-Stewart-Museum.jpg

I could not find adult photos of Marjorie Kent and Sharyn Moffett.

That's enough for now.  I will leave the thread open for anyone to post photos.

How well do you know movie animals.  I'm not going to post photos of Lassie or Trigger or some of the real easy ones.  Some of these may be somewhat lesser known.  Can you name the animal in each photo, as well as the name of the movie and possibly any humans pictured?

1.  gallant-bess-usa-1946-andrew-marton-tex-barton-marshall-thompson-and-ghexp6.jpg 

2.  banjo3.jpg 

3.  released-september-25-1944-original-film-title-my-pal-wolf-pictured-f6dxtn.jpg 

4.  c382ed6VbE2ciDTLEgRBRQDWgfX.jpg 

5.  roddy-flicka.jpg 

6.  th?id=OIP.APiNAg2Rco9AXBuA_0UYZQHaHi&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300 

7.  e1f7b5ba9e875ab0db503cc7d824ba63--the-biscuit-biscuits.jpg 

8.  kevin-corcoran-old-yeller.jpg 

9.  jimmyjumbo.jpg 

10.  1946-Yearling-The-01.jpg 

OK, maybe they're not so tough.  I believe that all of these movies have been shown on TCM.

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

How well do you know movie animals.  I'm not going to post photos of Lassie or Trigger or some of the real easy ones.  Some of these may be somewhat lesser known.  Can you name the animal in each photo, as well as the name of the movie and possibly any humans pictured?

1.  gallant-bess-usa-1946-andrew-marton-tex-barton-marshall-thompson-and-ghexp6.jpg 

2.  banjo3.jpg 

3.  released-september-25-1944-original-film-title-my-pal-wolf-pictured-f6dxtn.jpg 

4.  c382ed6VbE2ciDTLEgRBRQDWgfX.jpg 

5.  roddy-flicka.jpg 

6.  th?id=OIP.APiNAg2Rco9AXBuA_0UYZQHaHi&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300 

7.  e1f7b5ba9e875ab0db503cc7d824ba63--the-biscuit-biscuits.jpg 

8.  kevin-corcoran-old-yeller.jpg 

9.  jimmyjumbo.jpg 

10.  i 

OK, maybe they're not so tough.  I believe that all of these movies have been shown on TCM.

1. movie is Gallant Bess, actor is Marshall Thompson, the horse of course is Bess

2  movie is Banjo, actress Sharyn Moffett, with Banjo the Dog

3.  movie is My Pal Wolf, Grey Shadow plays Wolf, actress Sharyn Moffett

4. movie is Rusty Leads The Way, actor is John Litel  and Ted Donaldson and the dog is Rusty played by Flash

5. movie is My Friend Flicka, Roddy McDowell is the actor

8. movie is Old Yeller, actor is Kevin Corcoran and the dog is Spike

10. movie is The Yearling, Claude Jarman Jr is the actor and Flag is the deer

I almost put that "What elephant?" quote under the photo.  Jimmy Durante had been in the original stage production of "Jumbo" at the Hippodrome in New York in 1935 with music by Rodgers and Hart.  The biggest laugh was when a policemen stops Durante and says "Where are you going with that elephant?"  Durante's response, which was reprised in the movie, was "What elephant?".  That may have led to the phrase "The elephant in the room".

We still need #6 and #7.

#6 was a Disney movie that was shown on TCM very recently.  It was filmed in Canada.

#7 was a 1940's movie about two boys who train a "Runt Of The Litter" dog and enter the dog in field trials.  Disney did a version of the story in the seventies. 

Sharyn Moffet, who is in two photos, was also in "Rusty Leads The Way" playing a blind girl.  She also made two short films with Ted Donaldson called "My Pal" and "Pal's Adventure" featuring Flame the German shepherd as Pal.  Flame also played Rusty in the "Rusty" movies.  Sharyn was also in a movie called "A Boy, A Girl, And A Dog". 

A-Boy-A-Girl-and-a-Dog.jpg 

Apparently, she specialized in dog movies.   

Maybe a few giveaway hints will bring a conclusion to this group of photos.

#6 - Besides the boy and the big red dog, this 1960's film features a veteran Hollywood actor who happened to be originally from Canada.  It was shown on TCM in the latest round of "From The Disney Vaults" movies.

image.jpeg.9dc26cd20999310440f819beeaf29282.jpeg

#7 - The dog in this movie was probably a fan of Pillsbury and Betty Crocker.

Image result for the biscuit eater  1940 movie billy lee

The dog starts out as a runt of a pup.

Image result for the biscuit eater  1940 movie billy lee 

He becomes a well trained field dog.

Yes, #6 is the 1962 Disney film "Big Red".  The boy was a Canadian actor named Gilles Payant.  Walter Pidgeon was the Hollywood veteran.  He was originally from Canada.

I'm surprised that nobody got #7.  It is a 1940 Paramount movie called "The Biscuit Eater".  It starred Billy Lee and Cordell Hickman as two young friends, one white and one black, who take an unwanted pup and train him to be a top bird dog.  The dog's name was Promise.  It was one of the first feature films in the sound era to be filmed entirely on location.  In this case, the Albany, Georgia area.   Here is a short clip from the opening:

Billy Lee's father is played by Richard Lane.  You may remember him as Inspector Farraday in the Boston B-l-a-c-k-i-e series.