FredCDobbs

GUESS WHO?

3,931 posts in this topic

Yes, #6 is Raquel Torres.  Thanks to everyone for their guesses.  I said some might not be easy.  I'll give you #3.  It's Swedish born actress Anna Q, Nilsson.  She was once a major star in silent movies, but when talking pictures came around she was already in her fifties with a Swedish accent, so she was relegated to supporting roles until her last picture in the 1950's.  Even in supporting roles, she was in many major pictures.  Just look up her filmography and see.  In her early silent movie days she was once named the most beautiful actress in the world by Photoplay magazine.

Related image 

I think I have this right this time when I say that since Princess and Lavender don't post photos, the thread goes to Shutoo.

Today. December 7th," A day that will live in infamy", is also my 10th anniversary on these TCM message boards.  It's only fitting that I post something, so I decided to revive this thread.

After watching Glenda Farrell as November's SOTM, a night of Philo Vance mysteries, and some of Dick Powell's early movies in December, I noticed a lot of actors and actresses appearing numerous times in these Warner Bros. productions.  Here are some of them.  How many can you identify?

1.  Image result for guy kibbee 

2.  Related image 

3.   Related image 

4.  Image result for claire dodd 

5.   Image result for hugh herbert 

6.  Image result for tom kennedy 

7.  Image result for etienne girardot 

8.  Related image 

9.  Image result for frank mchugh 

10.  Related image 

11.  Image result for alice brady 

12.  Image result for lyle talbot 

13.  Image result for grant mitchell actor 

14.  Image result for ruth donnelly 

15.  Image result for jack la rue 

16.  Image result for charles lane young 

17.  Image result for robert mc wade 

18.  Image result for joe sawyer 

19.  Image result for wini shaw 

20.  Related image 

Some are easy, some not so easy.  They all were active at Warner Bros. and other studios in the 1930's.  If you don't recognize them, watch more Dick Powell movies this month.  Some will certainly appear.

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Today. December 7th," A day that will live in infamy", is also my 10th anniversary on these TCM message boards.  It's only fitting that I post something, so I decided to revive this thread.

After watching Glenda Farrell as November's SOTM, a night of Philo Vance mysteries, and some of Dick Powell's early movies in December, I noticed a lot of actors and actresses appearing numerous times in these Warner Bros. productions.  Here are some of them.  How many can you identify?

1.  Image result for guy kibbee 

2.  Related image 

3.   Related image 

4.  Image result for claire dodd 

5.   Image result for hugh herbert 

6.  Image result for tom kennedy 

7.  Image result for etienne girardot 

8.  Related image 

9.  Image result for frank mchugh 

10.  Related image 

11.  Image result for alice brady 

12.  Image result for lyle talbot 

13.  Image result for grant mitchell actor 

14.  Image result for ruth donnelly 

15.  Image result for jack la rue 

16.  Image result for charles lane young 

17.  Image result for robert mc wade 

18.  Image result for joe sawyer 

19.  Image result for wini shaw 

20.  Related image 

Some are easy, some not so easy.  They all were active at Warner Bros. and other studios in the 1930's.  If you don't recognize them, watch more Dick Powell movies this month.  Some will certainly appear.

Congratulations Miles. I beat you by exactly 5 months LOL. No kidding around, so happy you're on the bds. and I consider you an old trusted good buddy ;)

1. Guy Kibbee

3. Ned Sparks

5. Hugh Herbert

6. Tom Kennedy

9. Frank McHugh

10. Allan Jenkins

12. Lyle Talbot

13. Grant Mitchell

15 Jack LaRue ?

16. Charles Lane 

18. Joe Sawyer

Thanks, Lavender.  I consider you a good friend too.  Hey, you got eleven right without a miss.  You certainly know you character actors.  However, there are still nine left.  Let's see if anyone else will join in.

Here are some hints for some of the tough ones.

#2 once played a character name Toothpick Charlie

#7 played the coroner in some of the Philo Vance pictures.

#11 was an Oscar winner

#17 played the District Attorney in some of the Philo Vance pictures

#19 was a singer who was featured in many production numbers in musicals

Very good so far, everyone.  We still need #7, #17. and #20.  All three of them, along with George E. Stone and Lyle Talbot, were featured in "The Dragon Murder Case" during an evening of Philo Vance mysteries on TCM recently.  Two of them were also in "The Kennel Murder Case" that same night.  #20 was a leading lady in many films, as well as a supporting actress to big stars like Bette Davis and Barbara Stanwyck.

It's been a while, so I'll give you the others.  #7 is Etienne Girardot, #17 is Robert McQuade, and #20 is Margaret Lindsay.  All were featured in "The Dragon Murder Case" on Philo Vance night.

Now , Who is the little girl in these photos?

Here she is with Gabby Hayes.

Image result for karolyn grimes 

And here she is with Bing Crosby.

She has been seen on TCM recently. 

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

It's been a while, so I'll give you the others.  #7 is Etienne Girardot, #17 is Robert McQuade, and #20 is Margaret Lindsay.  All were featured in "The Dragon Murder Case" on Philo Vance night.

Now , Who is the little girl in these photos?

Here she is with Gabby Hayes.

And here she is with Bing Crosby.

She has been seen on TCM recently. 

Karolyn Grimes, she was Zuzu Bailey from It's A Wonderful Life. she was in Albuquerque with Gabby Hayes and Blue Skies with Bing

Yes, and she was in "The Bishop's Wife" with Loretta Young, David Niven, and Cary Grant.  This kid certainly got to work with some "A" listers.

Here she is in "Rio Grande" with Ben Johnson.  She played one of a group of children who are captured by Indians.  John Wayne and his cavalry troop rescue them.

Image result for Karolyn grimes rio grande 

Here she is in "The Bishops wife" with Cary Grant, Sara Haden, Loretta Young, and David Niven.

Image result for Karolyn grimes the bishop's wife

With Bing in "Blue Skies"

Image result for Karolyn grimes the bishop's wife 

With James Stewart in her best known role in "It's A Wonderful Life"

Related image 

And here she is reunited with her "Wonderful Life" dad, Jimmy Stewart.

Related image 

Nice job, Lavender.  I'll be back later with something else.

Who are these folks?

1.  Image result for george and ira gershwin  

2.  Related image 

3.  Image result for irving berlin 

4.  Image result for cole porter 

5.  Image result for jerome kern 

6.  Image result for rodgers and hammerstein 

7.  Related image 

8.   Image result for al dubin and harry warren 

I think you know what they have in common. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Who are these folks?

1.  Image result for george and ira gershwin  

2.  Related image 

3.  Image result for irving berlin 

4.  Image result for cole porter 

5.  Image result for jerome kern 

6.  Image result for rodgers and hammerstein 

7.  Related image 

8.   Image result for al dubin and harry warren 

I think you know what they have in common. 

I'll start this one

1. George and Ira Gershwin

2. Richard Rogers and Lorenz Hart

3. Irving Berlin

6. Richard Rogers and Oscar Hammerstein

????

Correct so far, Lavender.  Obviously, these are composers and lyricists.  These folks wrote music for movies and stage shows, but they also wrote popular songs for the general public, as well.

#4, much like Irving Berlin, wrote both music and lyrics.

#5 wrote worked with many lyricists, including Oscar Hammerstein. 

The two men in #7 actually appeared in the first musical to win a best picture Oscar.

The two in #8 also appeared in a musical that featured Dick Powell and Ruby Keeler.

There are several lyricists that I didn't post photos of who worked with several of these composers.  They include Johnny Mercer, Mack Gordon, Dorothy Fields, and Jimmy McHugh.

We have them all now.  Thanks to all who participated.  Obviously, there are many songwriters in the history of the musical, but these relatively few people did so much for both stage and movie musicals that it is hard to imagine what the American musical would have been like without them.  As the Princess of Tap would probably say, they wrote the Good songs.

Let's ask SCSU1975 to take the thread for the next round.

• Like 2

There are a few familiar faces in this photo, which is a "reunion" of sorts. That may help you identify a few more faces. although some may not be well-known:

TWvjNy6.png

11 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

There are a few familiar faces in this photo, which is a "reunion" of sorts. That may help you identify a few more faces. although some may not be well-known:

TWvjNy6.png

Donald Crisp on the left, Mae Marsh and DW Griffith, so it's probably Birth of A Nation ????

23 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Donald Crisp on the left, Mae Marsh and DW Griffith, so it's probably Birth of A Nation ????

Correct on the people, and correct on the film. Now we need the other actors. I think there are at least two who have familiar faces.

Next to DW Griffith is Henry B Walthall, he was in Devil Doll ( love that film) and Tale of Two Cities ( love that one too) ? those 4 are the best I can do for now.

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Next to DW Griffith is Henry B Walthall, he was in Devil Doll ( love that film) and Tale of Two Cities ( love that one too) ? those 4 are the best I can do for now.

You are four for four.

This one was very tough, and probably required some research.  Lavender was successful in discovering that the film in question was Birth of a Nation, and also identified four people. Here is the complete list, left to right:

Donald Crisp, Joseph Henabery, Mae Marsh, Spottiswood Aitken, D. W. Griffith, Tom Wilson, Henry B. Walthall, Walter Long, Mary Alden, and Ralph Lewis

TWvjNy6.png

Thread is open. If no takers, I will have another one shortly.