GUESS WHO?

3,746 posts in this topic

here are a few New Year's photos to id:

1., Thelma Todd 1932

2. Leila Hyams- c.1928

3. Happy New Year! with Tina Louise

4. Clara Bow and Richard Dix ring in the New Year of 1925

5. Vera-Ellen 1950  Life Goal: dance like her

6. Bonita Granville celebrating the New Year, circa late 1930s!

7. Gene Tierney and Howard Hughes at a costume party in Hollywood, 1951

8. Marion outfeathering Claudette Colbert

9. Thespian's retreat: Actors Leslie Howard, Norma Shearer, Gary Cooper and Lionel Barrymore (left to right) are seen here during the Christmas Eve party given by Cooper at his home in Hollywood in 1932

10. Martha Hyer; Hollywood New Year's publicity photo.

11. Alice White pondering her 1929 New Year's resolutions in this vintage pinup

12. Billie Seward & Lucille Ball ring in the New Year 1934/35  Happy New Years Eve beauties!!!! #NYE

13. ladylikelady:  Diana Dors  Hereâs a calendar we can use this year.

14. Actress, Ann Rutherford

15. Premium Rates Apply. Film stars (left to right) Clark Gable (1901 - 1960), Van Heflin (1910 - 1971), Gary Cooper (1901 - 1961) and James Stewart (1908 - 1997) enjoy a joke at a New Year's party held at Romanoff's in Beverly Hills. Original Publication: A Wonderful Time - Slim Aarons  (Photo by Slim Aarons/Getty Images)

15 ) This is one of my all-time favorite movie star photos that I'm sure I originally saw in Life Magazine.

Clark Gable

Van Heflin

Gary Cooper

Jimmy Stewart

Circa 1955?

• Like 1

9) Irving Thalberg's wife Norma Shearer surrounded by two co-stars from her movie A Free Soul- -

Leslie Howard and Lionel Barrymore.( I'm guessing the partially obscured lady on Lionel's arm is his wife Irene Fenwick).

Gary Cooper is there in the middle but he wasn't in the movie. LOL

Circa pre-code 1931-32

• Like 1

Eight) I bet this is a masquerade party at San Simeon hosted by William Randolph Hearst and Marion Davies. And that would be the hostess to the right with Claudette Colbert.

Circa  1936

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'll do one more--.

This one I'm sure it's 1925.

4) Clara Bow who had IT  and IT had her.

You're batting a thousand!  Do you recognize the actor with Ms Bow?

25 minutes ago, shutoo said:

You're batting a thousand!  Do you recognize the actor with Ms Bow?

No, I don't know much about silent movies. But I took a course in grad school and I think I've shot my wad here. LOL

Thanks for putting up this terrific New Year's Eve question.

Princess did a great job.  I think I can help with a few more.

#1  Helping to ring in 1932 is Thelma Todd.  She was nicknamed "Hot Toddy".

#2  This is the lovely Leila Hyams.  You may remember her from the movie "Freaks".

Image result for leila hyams freaks 

#3 is none other than Tina Louise.  You know her as Ginger from "Gilligan's Island".

#5 would be dancer Vera-Ellen in her pre-anorexic days.

#6 sure looks like Bonita Granville about the time she was making her Nancy Drew movies.

#7 is, I believe, Gene Tierney. 

#10 looks like Martha Hyer.  Right before Christmas I saw her in "Night Of The Grizzly" with Clint Walker. 

#11  The cute blonde actress with big eyes from 1929 looks like Alice White.

#14 is MGM starlet Ann Rutherford.

The others are tougher.  #12 looks like a young, blonde Lucille Ball on the right.  She was quite blonde in many of her pictures in the mid-1930's.  I didn't recognize the woman on the left, but using Google Images and phrases like "Hollywood Actresses In New Years Pin-ups", I found the photo.  The other actress is Billie Seward, who was in some "B" movies and westerns in the thirties.  

A similar search turned up #13.  That's a young, pre-blonde Diana Dors who, strangely enough, was in a 1948 movie called "The Calendar".

• Like 2

and that wraps it up!! 

for the record, the actor with Clara Bow is Richard Dix, and the fellow with Gene Tierney is Howard Hughes, before his 'I want to be alone' days.

no id on this one (just new year, 1956) but doesn't this look like Dirk Bogarde and Kay Kendall?  Photo: Alfred Eistenstaedt  for Life Magazine. 1956 New Year's Eve Party

Kudos to Princess of Tap and MilesArcher who I'm sure will be celebrating their victory! 

Related image

• Thanks 1

These photos are publicity shots for various movies.  Some will be easy, some maybe not so much.  Can you identify not only all of the people in the photo, but also the movie that they are making?

1.  Image result for publicity pictures for old movies 

2.  Image result for publicity pictures for old movies 

3.  Image result for publicity pictures for old movies 

4.  Image result for publicity pictures for old movies 

5.  Related image 

6.  Image result for publicity pictures for old movies 

7.  Related image  

8.  Image result for publicity pictures for old movies 

9.  Image result for publicity pictures for old movies 

10.  Related image

If you can't solve #10 then you probably don't belong on these boards.

Here's a bonus shot.  This is not from "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?".

11.  Image result for publicity pictures for old movies

50 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

These photos are publicity shots for various movies.  Some will be easy, some maybe not so much.  Can you identify not only all of the people in the photo, but also the movie that they are making?

1.  Image result for publicity pictures for old movies 

2.  Image result for publicity pictures for old movies 

3.  Image result for publicity pictures for old movies 

4.  Image result for publicity pictures for old movies 

5.  Related image 

6.  Image result for publicity pictures for old movies 

7.  Related image  

8.  Image result for publicity pictures for old movies 

9.  Image result for publicity pictures for old movies 

10.  Related image

If you can't solve #10 then you probably don't belong on these boards.

Here's a bonus shot.  This is not from "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?".

1. Joan Crawford and Anita Page- Our Modern Maidens ?

2. Sigrid Gurie, Charles Boyer and Hedy Lamarr in Algiers

4. Jackie Cooper, Mickey Rooney, Freddy Batholomew in The devil Is A Sissy

5. Freddy Bartholomew Judy Garland and Mary Astor in Listen Darling

6. Cary Grant in I Was A Male War Bride

8. Randolph Scott and Harriet Hilliard ( Nelson) in  Follow the Fleet

9. Harry Carey, John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Claude Jarman Jr., Ben Johnson in Rio Grande

10 Hitch Dial M For Murder

11. Joan Crawford, Bette Davis before Joan left the cast of Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte

• Like 1

3 looks like Loretta Young...and Lon Chaney (?)...so I'll guess Laugh Clown Laugh

There's no doubt that Lavender and Shutoo really know their stuff.  All are correct so far, including #11.  Yes, Joan was set to co-star with Bette again, but they did not get along and Joan left the picture and was replaced by Olivia de Havilland.

#7 is still unsolved.  The man on the left was only about twenty-two when he made this movie.  The woman was already a veteran of more than fifteen years of movie making, the previous four or five as a top star.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again, if you showed these pictures to a  hundred random people on the street, how many would be able to identify everyone, let alone name the movies?  I suspect not many at all. 

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

There's no doubt that Lavender and Shutoo really know their stuff.  All are correct so far, including #11.  Yes, Joan was set to co-star with Bette again, but they did not get along and Joan left the picture and was replaced by Olivia de Havilland.

#7 is still unsolved.  The man on the left was only about twenty-two when he made this movie.  The woman was already a veteran of more than fifteen years of movie making, the previous four or five as a top star.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again, if you showed these pictures to a  hundred random people on the street, how many would be able to identify everyone, let alone name the movies?  I suspect not many at all. 

7. Jean Arthur and William Holden in Arizona

Very good, Lav.  Now we have them all.  Thanks to Lavenderblue and Shutoo for identifying them.  Lavender doesn't post photos, so Shutoo gets to post next.

44 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Very good, Lav.  Now we have them all.  Thanks to Lavenderblue and Shutoo for identifying them.  Lavender doesn't post photos, so Shutoo gets to post next.

thanks..I'll leave the thread open for now .. 

(there are still three photos left on my 'it came from a holiday film' thread...any takers? )

I've got a lot of these...so I'll post a few today: the only thing in common? Hats.

1. Photo: Ethel Barrymore, in a 1901 Studio Portrait by Burr Mcintosh : 24x18in

2. Ann Sheridan Fan Club

3. DOROTHY ADAMS est une actrice américaine, née le 8 janvier 1900 à Hannah, Dakota du Nord, morte le 16 mars 1988 à Los Angeles, Quartier de Woodland Hills (Californie). Elle contribue à près de cent films américains (dont des westerns) entre 1938 et 1960, comme second rôle de caractère. Filmographie principale : -1944 : Laura d'Otto Preminger. -1952 : Un amour désespéré (Carrie) de William Wyler. -1956 : Les Dix Commandements (The Ten Commandments) de Cecil B. DeMille.

4. 3ab1a398b4b22821cdb2da0b88ba43d5.jpg

5. Gloria Swanson, WAYYY before she was ready for her closeup. By the way: the Blu-Ray of Sunset Boulevard just came out and they did an AWESOME job of cleaning it up. Looks like it was shot yesterday...

6. 86a46405fb41d6a95b23a547f7b44a27.jpg

7. love this pic

8. Nancy Carroll (I) (1903â1965) Actress.... Nancy made her film debut in 1927 after several years on the musical stage and later on Broadway. She became very popular during the advent of sound because of her musical background. This red headed cupid-bow mouthed star entertained movie audiences during the 1930s where her singing and dancing abilities gained her a large following of fans. #ZackWomenSFashion

9. Gale PAGE '30-40 (29 Juillet 1913 - 8 Janvier 1983) (1 photo de Gale aux côtés de Priscilla LANE) (1 photo de Gale aux côtés de Priscilla, Rosemary et Lola LANE)

10. norma shearer

24 minutes ago, shutoo said:

I've got a lot of these...so I'll post a few today: the only thing in common? Hats.

1. Photo: Ethel Barrymore, in a 1901 Studio Portrait by Burr Mcintosh : 24x18in

2. Ann Sheridan Fan Club

3. DOROTHY ADAMS est une actrice américaine, née le 8 janvier 1900 à Hannah, Dakota du Nord, morte le 16 mars 1988 à Los Angeles, Quartier de Woodland Hills (Californie). Elle contribue à près de cent films américains (dont des westerns) entre 1938 et 1960, comme second rôle de caractère. Filmographie principale : -1944 : Laura d'Otto Preminger. -1952 : Un amour désespéré (Carrie) de William Wyler. -1956 : Les Dix Commandements (The Ten Commandments) de Cecil B. DeMille.

4. 3ab1a398b4b22821cdb2da0b88ba43d5.jpg

5. Gloria Swanson, WAYYY before she was ready for her closeup. By the way: the Blu-Ray of Sunset Boulevard just came out and they did an AWESOME job of cleaning it up. Looks like it was shot yesterday...

6. Hat with barn and animals. Via ModCloth: Carole-Landis-in-a-Farmhouse-Hat-1 #millinery #judith #hats

7. love this pic

8. Nancy Carroll (I) (1903â1965) Actress.... Nancy made her film debut in 1927 after several years on the musical stage and later on Broadway. She became very popular during the advent of sound because of her musical background. This red headed cupid-bow mouthed star entertained movie audiences during the 1930s where her singing and dancing abilities gained her a large following of fans. #ZackWomenSFashion

9. Gale PAGE '30-40 (29 Juillet 1913 - 8 Janvier 1983) (1 photo de Gale aux côtés de Priscilla LANE) (1 photo de Gale aux côtés de Priscilla, Rosemary et Lola LANE)

10. norma shearer

2. Ann Sheridan

3. Dorothy Adams

8. Claudette Colbert

10. Norma Shearer ( I think)

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

2. Ann Sheridan

3. Dorothy Adams

8. Claudette Colbert

10. Norma Shearer ( I think)

All right..except number 8 (not Colbert)...kudos for getting 3...thought she might be tough (I can never remember her name..)..10 is from Lady of the Night

4, 6, 8 still open...

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

4. She reminds me of Joan Leslie a little bit ?

sort of...but she's not...