HelenBaby2

News about Robert Osborne

37 posts in this topic

Just got notice on Facebook that he's having a medical procedure and will miss the film festival next week.. Thought people might like to know.

Yes, it is sad isn't it?

But as some folks I know who are of an older generation this should come as no shock to many of you who write on these pages. Older people get older and unfortunately for many of them they aren't in the best of shape as they do get older. Some are more well preserved than others, but I would have to say that from my vantage point and or my experience the older people I know have many issues that younger folks do not have to contemplate. Lets face it, as much as everyone loves Mr. Osborne, the day of his retirement is getting closer. There is a reason why older people get sick or have additional medical situations later in life. It is because of mother time. They do get older. Their bodies are not the same as it was 10, 20 or 30 years earlier.

Whatever is happening to Mr. Osborne is probably something that he should have taken care of long before now, but that is conjecture on my part.

The day Mr. Osborne retires will probably be the saddest day for not only him and his close friends but everyone who has watched him over the years. That is why I think the sooner they get Ben Mankiewicz to take on additional duties at TCM, the better it will make for a smoother transition.

Don't get me wrong. I think and hope that Mr. Osborne will be with us for many more years. As we have all seen over the past few years, Mr. Osborne has started to slow down or at the very least start curtailing many of the duties we have loved seeing him perform. But even he will need to stop all together eventually. The man has got to be tired. Maybe even worn out to a degree. And a lot of that mileage is apparently catching up to him now with this latest news of health issues.

At present I am not subscribing to TCM, but I do recall with fondness everytime I was able to catch Mr. Osborne on TCM. Luckily for a lot of us, he can be seen on YouTube and other places, like that wonderful podcast he did with Alec Baldwin a few years back. Hopefully whatever he is having done to him will allow him to continue what he does best.

But I can also see a major downturn if and when he steps down. There will be doom and gloom here at TCM City with many folks turning into schizophrenic idiots, going on and on about the impending departure of Mr. Osborne and how it all will end up becoming a discussion of further proof that TCM will be going down the drain.

So everyone who has written about Mr. Osborne better have made some thoughtful musings about what he has meant to you all and that the day of his retirement is approaching and that whomever takes over for him whether it be Ben or someone else, they better get accustomed to not seeing Mr.  Osborne on TCM. Because that day unfortunately is going to be here sooner than you all think.

Just some musings from one fan of Robert Osborne.

Yes, it is sad isn't it?

But as some folks I know who are of an older generation this should come as no shock to many of you who write on these pages. Older people get older and unfortunately for many of them they aren't in the best of shape as they do get older. Some are more well preserved than others, but I would have to say that from my vantage point and or my experience the older people I know have many issues that younger folks do not have to contemplate. Lets face it, as much as everyone loves Mr. Osborne, the day of his retirement is getting closer. There is a reason why older people get sick or have additional medical situations later in life. It is because of mother time. They do get older. Their bodies are not the same as it was 10, 20 or 30 years earlier.

Whatever is happening to Mr. Osborne is probably something that he should have taken care of long before now, but that is conjecture on my part.

The day Mr. Osborne retires will probably be the saddest day for not only him and his close friends but everyone who has watched him over the years. That is why I think the sooner they get Ben Mankiewicz to take on additional duties at TCM, the better it will make for a smoother transition.

Don't get me wrong. I think and hope that Mr. Osborne will be with us for many more years. As we have all seen over the past few years, Mr. Osborne has started to slow down or at the very least start curtailing many of the duties we have loved seeing him perform. But even he will need to stop all together eventually. The man has got to be tired. Maybe even worn out to a degree. And a lot of that mileage is apparently catching up to him now with this latest news of health issues.

At present I am not subscribing to TCM, but I do recall with fondness everytime I was able to catch Mr. Osborne on TCM. Luckily for a lot of us, he can be seen on YouTube and other places, like that wonderful podcast he did with Alec Baldwin a few years back. Hopefully whatever he is having done to him will allow him to continue what he does best.

But I can also see a major downturn if and when he steps down. There will be doom and gloom here at TCM City with many folks turning into schizophrenic idiots, going on and on about the impending departure of Mr. Osborne and how it all will end up becoming a discussion of further proof that TCM will be going down the drain.

So everyone who has written about Mr. Osborne better have made some thoughtful musings about what he has meant to you all and that the day of his retirement is approaching and that whomever takes over for him whether it be Ben or someone else, they better get accustomed to not seeing Mr.  Osborne on TCM. Because that day unfortunately is going to be here sooner than you all think.

Just some musings from one fan of Robert Osborne.

When he leaves, we will all miss him, but will not miss a beat with regard to viewership patterns, whether it's Ben or someone else who replaces him. 

Best wishes, Mr. Osborne, for a speedy recovery.  My hope is that you are feeling better very soon.

Just got notice on Facebook that he's having a medical procedure and will miss the film festival next week.. Thought people might like to know.

Thanks for posting this, HelenBaby2.

Is he back?

No the only time I've seen him was on The Essentials and the guest programmer with Mo Rocca. But I imagine if he took off a couple of months he would be back in June at the earliest. But I haven't heard anything at all.

No the only time I've seen him was on The Essentials and the guest programmer with Mo Rocca. But I imagine if he took off a couple of months he would be back in June at the earliest. But I haven't heard anything at all.

I am in my late 60s and a recent Old Movie appreciator. I have been watching old movies from the early 60s on tv but that is because those were shown on most all of the later night stations in the NYC broadcast area. Of course, they were all chopped up, not always the best of quality to begin with-and they just needed to format/comply with a commercial break of about 30seconds every half hour-then 15mins

However, the subject of Robert Osborne's health made me think of just how valuable and interesting man this is.  While I am familiar with tons of these old movies. I rarely knew the names of the titles and only a little bit of information of the biggest stars, and most of that information was wrong.

Robert has provided me with a real good background on stars, directors, movies and most of all an appreciation of the whole black and white genre i grew up with. It was often background noise, no more

Over the past 5yrs and TCM I have grown to really enjoy so many of the movies, not all of course, however it is due , almost totally, to Robert Osborne's encyclopedic knowledge and his ability to transmit all this via anecdotes, along with straight factoids that got me listening

I really hope he gets better , for his sake , and, returns soon ,for my sake

jd

• Like 5

I haven't seen Robert Osborne's intros for a long time. Guess most of what I'm watching these days is daytime or overnight scheduled movies.

Last night I saw Robert on the Menzies Spotlight and was startled by his limited breathing. As someone who has suffered from asthma her entire life, I recognised the limited breathing pattern.

Poor guy, I hope he feels OK. Limited oxygen to the brain always makes you feel tired and going to black out at any time.

• Like 2

TikiSoo I don't think he's been doing intros this month but I could be wrong. I haven't watched much this month but when I have it's Ben who's introduced the movies. Robert missed going to the ceremony where he received the first William Cameron Menzies award, which was picked up by Eva Marie Saint on his behalf. When I was on the cruise in November I didn't see much of him, and when I did he seemed very frail. I got a chance to ask him a question at the Ask Robert presentation and I asked him how he was doing because I noticed his reduced presence on the channel, but he assured me he was feeling okay despite his age. He said "I come from strong farm stock. I'm in pretty good shape." He had to be assisted to his chair (he has an assistant that I've seen on at least a couple of cruises who is a younger man who is probably in his 30's who also seemed like a nursing aide or something like that. I don't know for sure who the guy is because he keeps a very low profile.)

Let's get real here. He's an elderly man and anything could happen at this point in his life. I don't mean to be Miss Doom & Gloom, nor do I mean to be gossiping about him. I wish him good health and comfort. The Film Festival is coming up at the end of April so we shall see if he attends.

• Like 4

I don't think he's been doing intros this month but I could be wrong. I haven't watched much this month but when I have it's Ben who's introduced the movies.

For the first time during TCM's 31 Days of Oscar, Robert Osborne has been hosting fewer nights of the week than Ben Mankiewicz. This month, Robert is hosting on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings. Ben is hosting during primetime from Monday to Thursday and during the weekend daytime. This sends a message, I think, that both Ben and the viewers should prepare for a time when Robert is not around anymore.

Having said that, I know that Robert was in studio for TCM last month, recording the guest programmer interviews for 2016. So we'll be seeing him on the air until at least January 2017.

• Like 5

I am in my late 60s and a recent Old Movie appreciator. I have been watching old movies from the early 60s on tv but that is because those were shown on most all of the later night stations in the NYC broadcast area. Of course, they were all chopped up, not always the best of quality to begin with-and they just needed to format/comply with a commercial break of about 30seconds every half hour-then 15mins

However, the subject of Robert Osborne's health made me think of just how valuable and interesting man this is.  While I am familiar with tons of these old movies. I rarely knew the names of the titles and only a little bit of information of the biggest stars, and most of that information was wrong.

Robert has provided me with a real good background on stars, directors, movies and most of all an appreciation of the whole black and white genre i grew up with. It was often background noise, no more

Over the past 5yrs and TCM I have grown to really enjoy so many of the movies, not all of course, however it is due , almost totally, to Robert Osborne's encyclopedic knowledge and his ability to transmit all this via anecdotes, along with straight factoids that got me listening

I really hope he gets better , for his sake , and, returns soon ,for my sake

jd

"Million Dollar Movie," right?!?

You said,

"However, the subject of Robert Osborne's health made me think of just how valuable and interesting man this is."

I say, "AMEN to that!"+ wishing Robert Osborne all the best. I (+ undoubtedly myriad fans) greatly miss not seeing him as often, but it's important to put health first.

• Like 2