Sign in to follow this  
gagman66

Colleen Moore's WHY BE GOOD? at TCM Classic Film Festival!

1 post in this topic

Very surprised no one has mentioned this here. Colleen Moore's last Silent film the long lost WHY BE GOOD? (1929) has been added to the TCM Classic Film Festival schedule. I am so gratified to see this. I was hoping for maybe SYNTHETIC SIN or LILAC TIME since WHY BE GOOD? was released on DVD by Warner Archive late last October, while the other two are still not available. But at least it's a Colleen Moore film and as I have the DVD, it is Wonderful with a teriffic Vita-phone score. Print is outstanding quality. I hope this plays to a packed house. Though being scheduled for a 9:15 AM screening at the The Chinese Multiplex House 1, and going head to head with Doctor Zhivago isn't exactly ideal timing.

The recently restored SYNTHETIC SIN (also 1929) playing in Scottland this weekend at the Pardone Festival has been sold out for weeks. It is also being screened at the final Cinefest in Syracuse NY at 8:50 PM Eastern Daylight time. I'm still holding out hope for an evening on TCM of Colleen Moore careers maybe later this year. It's been a long time coming, but I want to thank Warner Brothers, TCM and the Vitaphone project for the colborative effort in finally honoring the great Colleen Moore. This just a few weeks after her famous doll house in Chicago had it's restoration completed. I hope we might get a new and complete print of LILAC TIME at next years featival. That would definitely appeal not just to Colleen Moore and Silent films fans, but to Gary Cooper fans as well.

Maybe TCM can get Colleen's granddughter Alice Hargrave as a special guest host? I wonder if she will be at the festival? Or maybe Hugh Monroe Neely who discovered the long lost HER WILD OAT (1927) in the Czech Archive at Prague. Still awiting a TCM debut of that picture and have been for the past 9 years.. Or perhaps Colleen's Biographer the enagmatic Jeff Codori. I figure that might be the reason that WHY BE GOOD? though released by Warner Archive hasn't been shown on TCM yet, as they plan to debut a few films at the same time. Sure would be nice if that were the case anyway. There was a very nice piece on restoration of Colleen's famed Fairy Princess Doll House on CBS this morning a couple weeks back. I like to think that she is finally getting some well deserved and long over due attention on the road to a major rediscovery.

http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/films/why-be-good/

WHY-BE-GOOD_470x350.jpg