Sign in to follow this  
bhryun

Hello?

21 posts in this topic

I hope I'm in the right topic for this. I'm new here and I must say its taken me forever to join and sign-up. I had a different name that I signed up for, but it didn't work out. I'm a teenager in love with old films. I'm not sure of the other people's ages around here, but I hope I am excepted as just another classic film "freak." I have two websites, one relating to a star of today and one based on classic film. I really love Jean Harlow and hope to learn all I can. Clark Gable also, he's great. I'm so glad to be here!

Hi, harlowhoney,

I'm brand new here, too, and am also a younger classic film "freak." :-) I'm nineteen, but have been really into old films since I was sixteen or seventeen. Jean Harlow was one of the first classic film actors I became a fan of (I even visited her grave at Forest Lawn in Glendale--I think that made my family really think I was a freak! lol). The last year or so I've started to want to learn more about stars who are not very well known these days. Lately I've really been into Robert Montgomery, Janet Gaynor, Maureen O'Sullivan (if you haven't seen the Tarzan films she did with Johnny Weissmuller, I highly recommend them!), Joseph Cotten, Norma Shearer, and Deanna Durbin.

It's great to see that there are more young fans of Jean than just me! If you haven't read it yet, "Bombshell" by David Stenn is the greatest biography of her. He also wrote an excellent bio of Clara Bow, another fave actress.

Well, I think I've rambled on long enough!

TTYL,

Carrie (aka harlow1085) :-)

Hello and WELCOME to both of you. Age has no meaning here on the boards as we are all like one big family dedicated and in love with classic films and everything that goes with them. And you can feel free to post on any forum topic you care to as long as it keeps sort of close to the thread. Sometimes that even goes out the window, too. So relax and enjoy and post what you want when you want. :D Sue

Welcome to the boards you two....I am also fairly new, been here about 2 months and I am also young...21!

I fell in love with classics at age 5 and been with them ever since. Let me say, that this board is truly a family, and this will be a place where you can ask questions, find out information, and even post suggestions. I dont know what I would have done without this group. There are too few "young" classic fans to talk to nowadays!

Cant wait to talk with you both!

Tabitha

Wow! That is so cool you got to visit her. I didn't think you could get in. I have a book where every star is buried and I hope one day to get there and visit Clark Gable & Jean Harlow. I think they are quite close. I have a website, also, I have a tribute to Jean on there: classicstardust.com. My baby! I have a forum there also, so feel free to join up. I will definetely have to check out those Tarzan movies. I go through the TCM "Now Playing Guide" like a maniac and I never see it. Huh! I'm reading another Harlow biography now by Eve Golden and she has some inaccurate description of Red Dust. Really angered me. ;)

Hello again!

I'm really loving these message boards! You're so right, Sue and Tabitha, it's like a family here, and people are so helpful. Last night I posted a message asking if anyone knew of any good books or websites about Virginia Rappe and like three or four people have already replied! :-)

Hi, harlowhoney! I just checked out your website, and it's really great! I keep wanting to make my own classic film website, was it very hard to do?

It was really great to be able to visit Jean Harlow's crypt. I also visited Clark and Carole (I thought it was so great that Clark's third wife had him buried beside Carole, and she is buried on the other side of him), Clara Bow, Jimmy Stewart...there are so many great stars there. Technically you're not really allowed to visit the stars that are buried in the mausoleums, and I've actually read that the employees could have you arrested for trespassing! The hall that Jean is in has a little fence across the entrance and the day I went there a guy had it open to repair it. We asked him nicely if we could go in and he was nice and said yes, so we just walked right in. There is a security guy at the entrance to the great mausoleum and there are security cameras in all the halls so he could see us go in. I don't think he said anything because we (I was with my aunt) were very respectful. I just threw a flower into Jean's little room, and didn't take any pictures or anything. Clark and Carole are on the other side of the mausoleum, and from what I remember there's just a heavy chain that you can step over to get into their hallway. Again, we just left a flower, didn't take any photos or make grave rubbings (apparently some people like to do this).

I've also read Eve Golden's bio of Jean, and there is a lot of misinformation. I don't remember her description of "Red Dust" but I do remember her constantly referring to Jean's mother as "Mama Jean" when in reality she was called "Mother Jean." She also says that Jean's name above her crypt is in her handwriting, which it is not, and she also says that you can just ask a member of the Forest Lawn staff where she is buried and they will tell you. Totally untrue. David Stenn's biography is very well researched.

I hope you're able to watch the Tarzan films with Johnny and Maureen! If TCM isn't playing them anytime soon, the six films Johnny did with Maureen (he made a lot more after that for RKO) are in a great DVD collection, and you can also rent the DVD's from Netflix.com. The last two aren't so great, but the first four are really good--especially the first two, which were made before the stupid Production Code.

Hi, Tabitha! I'm so happy to see another young classic movie fan! You're right, there are sooo few of them!

Well, I think I have gone on and on long enough, so I'll close for now. I hope to talk to you all again soon!

Carrie :-)

I must say that I am a little jealous. I have always wanted to visit their gravesites...and just observe a moment of silence for those actors that have touched my heart, and have amazingly had such a profound impact on my life. Younger people just dont understand what I am talking about...I am going to try and plan a little road trip..since I am in Tucson. But it is hard to find people with my same love with movies. I do want to applaud you for the way that you handled your self in throwing little flowers. It just bowls me over about the people who take pics and so forth.

anyways...I look forward to talking to both of you. What is a good movie that you have seen recently. I reccommend "The More the Merrier." Jean Arthur is my favorite. I also love "Libeled Lady" which Harlow is in. It is great!

Tabitha

Hi, Tabitha!

You really should plan a trip to Hollywood and Glendale! I have family in both areas (my great-grandpa has lived about three minutes from Forest Lawn since the 1940's!), so I have people to take me around when I'm able to visit. I agree with you about how horrible it is when people take photos or make grave rubbings of people's headstones. Apparently Jayne Mansfield's marker at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery was defaced or the photo of her had been stolen or something like that, so the photo had to be replaced. It's so sick how some people think.

I'm really into pre-Code films, so that's what I've been watching a lot of lately. I just saw "Three On A Match" and "Baby Face" (finally!). I like Jean Arthur as well! I looooove "You Can't Take It With You" which she did with Jimmy Stewart, Ann Miller, Lionel Barrymore and a bunch more great actors. I want that family! :-) I also saw her in "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" another great movie. I haven't seen "The More The Merrier" but I will definitely check it out! I like "Libeled Lady" too, but I'll always love Jean's pre-Codes the best (even though Jean really didn't want to play those kinds of characters). "Red Dust" and "Red-Headed Woman" are my faves. I also love Clara Bow's movies. "IT" of course is the essential Bow film. A kind of cool thing I realized when I first saw the movie: I was seventeen the first time I saw it. The movie came out in 1927, and so that made my great-grandmother seventeen when it actually came out! She very well could have seen that movie and loved it as much as I do!

Well....I should close for now. Again, sorry for going on and on!

TTYL,

The people here are so nice! I have relatives who live in California and my aunt's brother works at MGM. I would love to know where Jean Harlow & Clark Gable had their dressing rooms, that would be great. I live in New England, but I have some friends on the West Coast who took pictures of Harlow and Gable's handprints for me.

That is so great you got to go into Harlow grave, harlow1085. I only wish I was so lucky to get to visit them. People can be so rude to go gravestone rubbings, although a picture or two would be nice. Kidding! I would just love to see where they were finally laid to rest in peace.

I will definetely have to check out David Stenn's biography on Harlow. I started to read it, but just couldn't get into it. I'll have to take it out of the library again and give it another shot. I found another bio on Harlow from the '60s by Irving Shulman (I think that was his name). Eve Golden keeps saying in her biography that everything he says is wrong. I'm hesistant to believe her because her information is so inaccurate.

My website was not that hard to make, its just sometimes a pain to update it. I have a lot of things in the works about the fashions and such from the 1930s/40s. The '50s don't interest me very much. I plan on taking out the Harlow/Gable tribute and adding something more broad, the same thing with the Garbo fanlisting. I may add it again in the future.

I also seem to be drawn to pre-code films, harlow1085. I love "Red Dust" and I missed taping "Red Headed Woman" over the summer. I should just get them from the library. I tape them on dvd and use them for my website. I liked "Libeled Lady" also and there is going to be the re-make of it on later on this month. Lucille Ball's in it.

I seriously cannot wait to post more here! I finally got it to work and I plan on visiting lots! When there isn't homework, anyway. ;) - Gina

Welcome, harlowhoney and harlow1805. I've also read the David Stenn bio of Harlow and his bio on Clara Bow. Both are very good. I've also read a book about Harlow's relationship with Paul Bern and the mystery surrounding his suicide. I can't think of the title right now, but it was very interesting.

About the Irving Shulman Harlow bio--it is terrible. He recounts conversations where he wasn't present and could have no way of knowing what was said. The book also seemed really salacious and sensationalized. But, hey, check it out if you're really interested and just take it with a grain of salt.

Sandy K

Hi, Gina!

I hope you're able to visit California someday soon;it's really fun. I'm always a little overwhelmed the first day I'm there because it's so different from the small town I live in now, but it gets better and by the end of the trip I don't want to leave! I think it helps that I have family around. My uncles took me around a lot the last time and they point out all the fun places to go, and they can even tell you which "girls" walking down the street are actually cross dressers! You get a lot of stuff like that down there. :-)

That's so neat that your aunts brother works at MGM! It would be awesome to see where all the stars had their dressing rooms; I wonder if they're still intact or if they've been remodeled or something.

I understand what you mean about not really getting into "Bombshell" at first. I don't know if it was the same for you, but I found that he was more into presenting the facts and I didn't really feel like he really liked Jean Harlow. I've since seen him commenting in all the T.V. bios of her and I know that's not true. I've also read an interview he did and you can tell how much he admires her and that he thinks she's been underrated. He also mentioned that he wishes he'd done less fact listing and more, I guess personal stories of Jean. Still, I love his biography because when I read it I know I'm getting the most accurate information that is out there.

David Stenn's biography of Clara Bow is excellent. He did the best research and interviews, and her children allowed him to see all her medical records and things she wrote and everything. You can tell he really got emotionally involved with Clara's life as he wrote about her.

Do NOT read Irving Shulman's biography of Jean! David Stenn also talks about that book and it's horrible. You might want to read it just out of curiosity but it'll just make you mad. Out of curiosity I watched the 1960's biopic "Harlow" with Carroll Baker, which was based on Irving's book and it was awful. At first I didn't see what was so bad. It was completely fictional, but it didn't make Jean seem like a bad person. And then she marries Paul Bern and everything goes down hill from there. After that Jean becomes a promiscuous alcoholic. And we all know the real Jean Harlow was not like that at all. One book that I was lucky to get ahold of was "Today Is Tonight" which Jean Harlow wrote, hoping to make it into a film for herself. Unfortunately Arthur Landau, who was one of her first agents and helped Irving Shulman write his bio, wrote the introduction and that makes me mad. The novel itself is pretty good, and it's fun to read something you know Jean cared about so much.

Well, I should close for now.

TTYL,

Hey, Carrie! I've been searching for Jean's novel for long time now. I read mixed reviews about it, but I can never go by that. Its so great she had the skill to even "attempt" to write a book, although Eve Golden basically ruined the entire story for me. *sighs impatiently* I will have to look closer at the Stenn book, it seems interesting and I'm glad to hear its accurate. Also, the Clara Bow book. I'm fascinated with her, also. I feel like sometimes people try to churn out things so fast on Jean and its not accurate. I just got to see the new Harlow documentary with Sharon Stone and one part wasn't very accurate. Granted, I don't know a lot about Jean, but I know how many movies she did with Clark Gable!

I think the studio is now a tour for well...tourists. I don't know if they knocked it down or not but I heard it was. You'll never be too sure until you visit there, I suppose. I hope to get to California eventually! I found this great website called The Platinum Page (www.lisaburks.com/jeanharlow/) and it shows you where to go and what to do relating to Jean. It included a big mural with all of Hollywood's stars in it. Can you even imagine painting something like that? I would also love to drive by her past homes, just not get shot at in the process. This is going to get interesting. If you'd like to e-mail me (it would probably be easier on this forum, LOL), e-mail me at: htqwebmaster@charter.net. Can't wait to hear from you! - Gina :)

Hello, everyone!

Thanks for the welcome, Sandy K! I've heard of the book about Jean and Paul Bern, but I havne't read it yet. It looked pretty interesting, though. I wish David Stenn would write more biographies for all the great classic film stars, but I'm not sure if he will; I read in an interview that he really loved having Jacqueline Onassis as his editor and he felt like it wouldn't be as good of an experience with a different editor.

Hi, Gina!--It can be hard to find a copy of Jean's novel. I found mine by going to the amazon.com zShops and found it for a really good price--I don't think it cost more than ten dollars! Of course they are all used copies since the last edition was published in the sixties, but most listed are in pretty good shape. Don't overspend--one will come along for a good price!

I've read in your previous posts that you really like Clark Gable. Have you read much about Carole Lombard? They are my favorite movie star couple. I think Carole was the coolest girl. It seems like she was really down to earth, yet she could be really glamorous and also could hang out with the boys on the set (her nickname was the "Profane Angel"). The only biography I've been able to find of her is "Carole Lombard: The Hoosier Tornado." There's an older bio called "Screwball" but I haven't been able to get ahold of it.

I haven't been to the Platinum Page, but I love Lynn's Tribute To Jean Harlow @ http://classicmoviefavorites.com/harlow/ Lynn also has sites for Clark Gable, Carole Lombard, and a bunch more stars.

I've seen the biography of Jean that Sharon Stone did and I agree that it wasn't very good (but it's neat that they had a blonde bombshell of today do it--and she's a Pisces like, Jean, too!). The Lifetime Intimate Portrait was really good, and Biography's bio of Jean was great and had lots of interviews with Jean's old childhood friends, and Hollywood friends! Maureen O'Sullivan (from the Tarzan movies!) did an interview for that one.

Well.....I should close for now. Thanks for your email address! Mine is cleopatra1085@yahoo.com

Hope to hear from you soon!

TTYL,

well, its taken me long enough but I thought I would extend my own welcome. I don't actually post as much as other people on this site but I read most everything and I found people here are really knowledgeable and friendly.

Its sort of funny. There is a popular idea that young people, especially high schoolers, can't really appreciate classic films but I really don't think that's true. More and more I see people my age (22) and even younger really liking the classics. It seems to be a growing trend.

Yes, Carrie, Clark Gable is mine! Ever since Gone with the Wind, he's at the top of my list. *looks over at Gone with the Wind poster* Yep. I haven't read much about Carole Lombard, but I have one of her movies on tape. I suppose I am a bit jealous of her, but she seems like quite a character. But, I know this much about the couple. There's a website called "The Hollywood Collection" (http://www.thehollywoodcollection.com) that specializes in making jewelry that the stars used to wear. It includes Carole and Jean. I have one ring from Jean that is from that infamous polar bear rug photo. It is georgous! There is quite a bit to chose from for each star, but I know they reproduced the ring Carole wore during the GWTW premiere.

Lynn's tribute to Harlow is basically copied from "The Platinum Page" with the webmaster's agreement. Both sites are quite good and the new Gable site is fantastic. I was thinking of making a website dedicated to either Clark or Jean, but I need to do some more research for that. Not my piece of cake. I will have to search out the other Harlow documentaries, I haven't seen every one of them yet. ;)

I'll e-mail you, maybe this discussion will go further. Even though I think a used copy of Jean's book is better than no copy! - Gina

Hi, allycat1920!

Thanks for the welcome! Unfortunately I haven't met anyone around my age (19) in my area who likes old movies. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that a couple of the managers where I work (Barnes and Noble) also like old films and had actually heard of Clara Bow! But they are much older than me.

So, I'm glad to have to TCM forums and am very happy to see that are so many younger people on here!

I used to live part time in Washington still do sort of. I am not sure what area you are in but you are pretty much right about there not being many young classic movie fans in the area. Most of my friends that are into classics live near San Francisco. I am sure that has an effect. You might try introducing some of your friends to classics though, some of my friends were classic movie fans but didn't know it until they met me ;)

wow its so cool to see so many people around my age who like classic movies. i'm 15 and i only have two friends who like classic movies.

once we made my other friends watch Psycho and The Birds. they liked it but not as much as i thought they might.

i have a Gone With the Wind poster too

Hi again, allycat1920,

I live in a veeerrry small town called Union on the Hood Canal. There is basically nothing here; just a post office, some touristy stores, a couple cafes, and a fancy resort for the tourists. Barnes and Noble is in Olympia; apparently there are some film festivals in a theatre downtown occasionally and they play foreign films, and classic films sometimes. I don't know much about it, though, because except for working I don't spend much time in Olympia (I get so used to the small town life being in a city--even a fairly small one like Olympia--gets to be overwhelming).

Welcome to the forums, morkeleb8! I'm so happy every time I hear from another young film fan.

Well...got to go for now. I look forward to talking to all of you soon!

OK, harlow1085-you're doing it to me like everone else has.... What does TTYL mean? I'll learn all these abbreviations even if I have to live to be an old, old woman! :) :) Sue

Hello, everyone,

I hurt myself at work last week, so I haven't been able to post for a while and it feels like I've been gone forever!!!

Sue,

TTYL means "Talk To You Later." :-) It's one of the few abbreviations I know!

Hope everyone is doing well, and I'll TTYL!!

Carrie