Sign in to follow this  
Swithin

My Night with Reg, pioneering gay-themed play, revived in London

4 posts in this topic

I've just seen a brilliant revival of Kevin Elyot's play My Night with Reg at the Apollo Theatre, London. I saw the original 20 years ago, which was perhaps the first major gay-themed play to achieve major West End success, but I think the revival is even better. It's a sad play, taking place as it does at the height of the AIDS crisis, but it's also a beautiful, funny, and sensitively written play as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/theatre-reviews/11368189/My-Night-with-Reg-Apollo-Theatre-review-the-funniest-play-to-be-found-in-London.html

my_night_with_reg_3000977b.jpg

• Like 2

Yes. The actor on the right is Julian Ovenden of "Foyle's War" fame (he plays the son) and "Downton Abbey" fame (he plays Lady Mary's suitor Charles). He was also in a WWII themed movie last year called "Allies." AND he's an accomplished singer in British (mostly) stage musicals. His first CD came out last year (lovely voice). Of interest, he played several scenes in the complete, full-frontal nude in this play! I wish I had been in London to see him, ah--I mean the play, of course! ????????????

• Like 1

Yes. The actor on the right is Julian Ovenden of "Foyle's War" fame (he plays the son) and "Downton Abbey" fame (he plays Lady Mary's suitor Charles). He was also in a WWII themed movie last year called "Allies." AND he's an accomplished singer in British (mostly) stage musicals. His first CD came out last year (lovely voice). Of interest, he played several scenes in the complete, full-frontal nude in this play! I wish I had been in London to see him, ah--I mean the play, of course!

Sorry I didn't get back to this. I actually worked with Julian on a program in NY several years ago. Nice guy. His performance in My Night with Reg was brilliant and moving. The playwright, Kevin Elyot, who died last year, became quite prolific, writing wonderful scripts for other plays and for television. His TV movie, Christopher and His Kind, based on Isherwood's correction to the popularization of Cabaret, which is based on his work, is great. It's on YouTube, as his very troubling Clapham Junction, loosely based on a gay-bashing case in South London.

The other actors in that photo are Geoffrey Streatfeild and Jonathan Broadbent.

• Like 1