Sign in to follow this  
Montserrat

Has The Swimmer, 1968 ever shown on TCM? Burt Lancaster

30 posts in this topic

I've requested The Swimmer to show on TCM today. I don't think that it's part of TCM film library, I know it´s possible for TCM to get rent/buy the licenseas they did with other great films that had not initially shown on TCM such as "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf."

It´s said that Burt Lancaster is pitch-perfect in the lead and that it's based on a masterpiece 'short' story that I am intrigue to see it in the screen. Some prefer the film to the short story, others love the story.

If you'd like to see the film, it will help that you request it.

Hi Irma,

THE SWIMMER has indeed played before on TCM. Seven times to be exact.

The most recent airing was in November 2013 when Burt was Star of the Month.

Hi Irma,

Thank you so much for letting me know, Top Billed! And what a precise reply knowing that it has played seven times on TCM.

I hope that TCM shows it again on November of this year, which is Burt Lancaster's birthday month (Nov. 2nd).

You must also know if TCM ever shown "Wicked Stepmother," Bette Davis' last film, which she dropped out before it ended.

I share with you my preference for "It Happened one Night" , " Rebecca" , Black Narcisus.  I haven't seen I'd Clim bthe Highest Mountain, The Shop Around the Corner and some of your other favorites in their entirety, such as Citizen Cane, Crossfire and Lifeboat but they are on my list to watch.  Robert Mitchum, Ingrid Bergman, Jack Lemmon, Richard Burton are also among my favorite actors. 

• Like 1

Hi Irma,

Further to my previous reply, Claudette Colbert , Deborah Kerr, Steve McQueen, Charles Laughton and  Judy Holliday, are also among my preferred actors.

Thank you so much for letting me know, Top Billed! And what a precise reply knowing that it has played seven times on TCM.

I hope that TCM shows it again on November of this year, which is Burt Lancaster's birthday month (Nov. 2nd).

You must also know if TCM ever shown "Wicked Stepmother," Bette Davis' last film, which she dropped out before it ended.

I share with you my preference for "It Happened one Night" , " Rebecca" , Black Narcisus.  I haven't seen I'd Clim bthe Highest Mountain, The Shop Around the Corner and some of your other favorites in their entirety, such as Citizen Cane, Crossfire and Lifeboat but they are on my list to watch.  Robert Mitchum, Ingrid Bergman, Jack Lemmon, Richard Burton are also among my favorite actors. 

You're welcome. Looks like you updated your screenname. Not sure if Irma is the name you would still like me to call you or not. 

WICKED STEPMOTHER has never aired on TCM. 

Regarding the other films-- I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN airs occasionally on FXM Retro. LIFEBOAT has been showing lately on Retroplex. And all the other ones are in fairly frequent rotation on TCM.

You're welcome. Looks like you updated your screenname. Not sure if Irma is the name you would still like me to call you or not. 

WICKED STEPMOTHER has never aired on TCM. 

Regarding the other films-- I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN airs occasionally on FXM Retro. LIFEBOAT has been showing lately on Retroplex. And all the other ones are in fairly frequent rotation on TCM.

Thanks very much Top Billed. I´m Irma Monserrrat, either way is fine. Apologies for the confusion.

Thanks very much Top Billed. I´m Irma Monserrrat, either way is fine. Apologies for the confusion.

No worries! Thanks for explaining.

It´s said that Burt Lancaster is pitch-perfect in the lead and that it's based on a masterpiece 'short' story that I am intrigue to see it in the screen. Some prefer the film to the short story, others love the story.

The short story is by John Cheever.  It is his most famous work, short or long.  You can easily find it in any collection of his writing.  The plot is similar in both the story and the movie, but the effect is different, naturally.  While the movie is very good, and Lancaster gives as good a performance as he ever did, it doesn't rank as high as a movie as Cheever's story ranks among other short stories, being a masterwork of literature.

The short story is by John Cheever.  It is his most famous work, short or long.  You can easily find it in any collection of his writing.  The plot is similar in both the story and the movie, but the effect is different, naturally.  While the movie is very good, and Lancaster gives as good a performance as he ever did, it doesn't rank as high as a movie as Cheever's story ranks among other short stories, being a masterwork of literature.

Thanks very much, slaytonf, for the post.

I just googled the story. I´ll print it and read it. It´s only 10 pages long. http://www.loa.org/images/pdf/Cheever_Swimmer.pdf

I think it´s better to read the story and then see the film. I hope that TCM shows the film by the end of the year and that I don´t miss it. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stories_of_John_Cheever

The film is also notable for featuring Joan Rivers in an early role. She didn't make very many movies.

Perhaps TCM could get hold of  "The Midnight Man" (1974) one of these days.  Although I think it's a Universal picture and The Powers That Be at Universal seem to be a very stingy bunch when it comes to leasing out their movies. 

Still, if Turner Classic could get hold of it for a showing that would be peachy.  It's worth at least 1 watch for interested viewers.  It's a complicated (perhaps overly complicated) mystery movie, but it's not bad. 

Thanks very much, slaytonf, for the post.

I just googled the story. I´ll print it and read it. It´s only 10 pages long. http://www.loa.org/images/pdf/Cheever_Swimmer.pdf

I think it´s better to read the story and then see the film. I hope that TCM shows the film by the end of the year and that I don´t miss it. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stories_of_John_Cheever

You're welcome.  Hope you enjoy the story.

I remember seeing this movie last summer (?) I only watched part of it (because it was on late and I needed to go to bed.  I didn't record it at the time, wish I had).  I thought it seemed like a very interesting film.  Burt Lancaster, for being in his 50s at the time, was in great shape (which I guess if my only costume was a speedo, I'd try to be in great shape too).  I loved the concept of the film and have been waiting for TCM to repeat it so that I can see the rest.  Does he make it through all the swimming pools and make it home? What does he learn along the way?

Everytime I see Burt Lancaster in a film, I'm reminded of how great an actor he is.  For whatever reason, I tend to "forget" about him until I see him again in another film.  I've begun to really appreciate his talents and find him to be among the best actors in the Golden Age (and ever, really).  He was fantastic in his film debut-- The Killers

• Like 1

I remember seeing this movie last summer (?) I only watched part of it (because it was on late and I needed to go to bed.  I didn't record it at the time, wish I had).  I thought it seemed like a very interesting film.  Burt Lancaster, for being in his 50s at the time, was in great shape (which I guess if my only costume was a speedo, I'd try to be in great shape too).  I loved the concept of the film and have been waiting for TCM to repeat it so that I can see the rest.  Does he make it through all the swimming pools and make it home? What does he learn along the way?

Everytime I see Burt Lancaster in a film, I'm reminded of how great an actor he is.  For whatever reason, I tend to "forget" about him until I see him again in another film.  I've begun to really appreciate his talents and find him to be among the best actors in the Golden Age (and ever, really).  He was fantastic in his film debut-- The Killers

He was great all the way through his career to 1900, Atlantic City, and Field of Dreams.

Everytime I see Burt Lancaster in a film, I'm reminded of how great an actor he is. 

He did have something extra special.

As for 'The Swimmer', it's my favorite Lancaster movie and, in my view, the best acting of his career.

He did have something extra special.

As for 'The Swimmer', it's my favorite Lancaster movie and, in my view, the best acting of his career.

I really liked The Swimmer-- at least the part of it I saw.  I hope that TCM airs it this year.  Summertime would be the perfect time to show this film.

It was such a different type of film--definitely a product of the 1960s, but such an interesting concept.  I found it very interesting.  I'm disappointed that I didn't get to watch the rest of it. 

EDIT: Apparently this film is available in a Blu-Ray/DVD Combo set on Amazon.  Can't decide if I need to own this film, however, it would be interesting as there is a 2.5 hr documentary included and the film has been completely restored for this release. 

http://www.amazon.com/Swimmer-Blu-ray-DVD-Combo/dp/B00HRISNPM/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1427951556&sr=1-1&keywords=the+swimmer

Burt Lancaster in a speedo makes it MY favorite film. (hubba hubba)

• Like 1

Burt Lancaster in a speedo makes it MY favorite film. (hubba hubba)

That's funny! And he was middle-aged at the time. Definitely took care of himself.

I just found out that "The Swimmer" will air on TCM in November as part of the tribute to Burt Lancaster as star of the month. Burt Lancaster's birthday is on November 2nd. There is an asterisc at the end of the article showing on this link that indicates that all the bolded films will show in November. The article does not show a date, though -- I hope that it will be this November 2015! http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/770437|0/Burt-Lancaster-Star-of-the-Month.html

Perhaps TCM could get hold of  "The Midnight Man" (1974) one of these days.  Although I think it's a Universal picture and The Powers That Be at Universal seem to be a very stingy bunch when it comes to leasing out their movies. 

Still, if Turner Classic could get hold of it for a showing that would be peachy.  It's worth at least 1 watch for interested viewers.  It's a complicated (perhaps overly complicated) mystery movie, but it's not bad. 

Yes, the Production Co. is "Universal." 

There will be a tribute to Burt Lancaster in November (hopefully it will be November 2015!), according to this article http://www.tcm.com/t...-the-Month.html. If you look at the footnote, "The Midnight Man" (1974) will not be part of the films that will be shown in November, neither it will be shown on any other scheduled date as per TCM search engine. So the best would beto suggest the film.  I just suggested it myself. You should do too and then there will be more chances that it will shown sometime in the futue.http://http://www.tcm.com/suggest-a-movie/index.html

I just found out that "The Swimmer" will air on TCM in November as part of the tribute to Burt Lancaster as star of the month. Burt Lancaster's birthday is on November 2nd. There is an asterisc at the end of the article showing on this link that indicates that all the bolded films will show in November. The article does not show a date, though -- I hope that it will be this November 2015! http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/770437|0/Burt-Lancaster-Star-of-the-Month.html

Unfortunately that is an old article. Burt Lancaster was Star of the Month in November 2013.

Usually TCM is good about airing at least one or two of his films every year on his birthday. And if THE SWIMMER doesn't turn up at that time, it most likely will at a later point.

Unfortunately that is an old article. Burt Lancaster was Star of the Month in November 2013.

Usually TCM is good about airing at least one or two of his films every year on his birthday. And if THE SWIMMER doesn't turn up at that time, it most likely will at a later point.

Thanks TopBilled. Why doesn't TCM date their articles? They cannot be used as a guide otherwise, leading to confusion, as now.

In addition, couldn't Burt Lancaster be again Star of the Month? I guess that I am pushing my luck!

Thanks TopBilled. Why doesn't TCM date their articles? They cannot be used as a guide otherwise, leading to confusion, as now.

In addition, couldn't Burt Lancaster be again Star of the Month? I guess that I am pushing my luck!

Not sure how they date/archive their articles but I can see how confusion would occur. 

And yes, unfortunately, I think for Burt Lancaster to be SOTM again so quickly is expecting a bit too much. Especially when the 2013 tribute was not his first one. Like I said, TCM usually shows a handful of his films on his birthday. They never really let the day go by without recognizing it.

The last 20 minutes are pretty devastating.

The last 20 minutes are pretty devastating.

Warning:  this post contains spoilers about the ending of The Swimmer.  

While we're on this subject, just what the heck happened at the end of The Swimmer?   I discussed the ending with a co-worker a few years ago, and we had very different interpretations of the final scene.   He said that Lancaster had been evicted from his house.  My take was far less literal;  I'm wondering if Lancaster was a recently deceased ghost, and that all of his human contacts in the film were just images of his life flashing before his eyes.   (For starters, it seems odd that such a nonconformist character could receive such a warm response from all of the blue-bloods in his neighborhood.)  

Don't get me wrong;   I like this movie a lot, but I think a lot of its intrigue stems from the fact that I don't "get" it.   I've read John Cheever's source story a few times, and it hasn't helped.  

• Like 1