David Von Pein

AIRPLANE! (1980)

6 posts in this topic

I don't think that there was ever any film quite like AIRPLANE!  before with its non stop rapid fire gags and the use of "non comedians" in most of its casting. Seeing veterans performers like Robert Stack and Lloyd Bridges (and especially Leslie Neilsen) who were mostly thought of as serious actors doing real slapstick type humor just made the gags more funny. AIRPLANE!  spawned a long line of imitation films but few can match the original.  Someday this film should be an "essential" on TCM.

I don't think that there was ever any film quite like AIRPLANE!  before with its non stop rapid fire gags and the use of "non comedians" in most of its casting. Seeing veterans performers like Robert Stack and Lloyd Bridges (and especially Leslie Neilsen) who were mostly thought of as serious actors doing real slapstick type humor just made the gags more funny. AIRPLANE!  spawned a long line of imitation films but few can match the original.  Someday this film should be an "essential" on TCM.

The amazing thing is that it uses some of the exact dialogue as its source for inspiration, ZERO HOUR! (1957). Some people find it hard to watch ZH without laughing at the then unintended humor.

Before I had seen Zero Hour, I believed The High and the Mighty (1954) was the source for Airplane!

There are more than a few near identical scenes. Now I know Zero Hour is the real source - almost scene for scene.. word for word. When I watch it all I see and hear is Airplane!

Before I had seen Zero Hour, I believed The High and the Mighty (1954) was the source for Airplane!

There are more than a few near identical scenes. Now I know Zero Hour is the real source - almost scene for scene.. word for word. When I watch it all I see and hear is Airplane!

Scene for scene? Word for word?

Darned! The next time I see Zero Hour I'm going to have to concentrate on it more. I completely missed spotting the inflatable co-pilot first time! ;)

Scene for scene? Word for word?

Darned! The next time I see Zero Hour I'm going to have to concentrate on it more. I completely missed spotting the inflatable co-pilot first time! ;)

Perhaps you were too close to the subject

;)