Mr. Gorman

♦ A list of movies, more or less, dealing with the Vietnam War ♦

8 posts in this topic

I noted there's a thread in the 'General Discussions' section in regards to only one Vietnam War movie being aired on 'Memorial Day' and it got me to thinking about what other movies I've seen or heard of that deal -- at least to some extent -- with the Vietnam War and/or its ramifications on Americans going there and/or returning home. 

I thought I'd make a list and post it here.  I'm sure I'll have missed some Vietnam War-themed movies from the era I'm targeting -- 1967-1990 -- so a "thank you" to anyone who posts other titles. I am not familiar at all with Vietnam War-themed films made after 1990.  

-----------------------------------

Green Berets, The (1968)

Ballad of Andy Crocker, The (1969-TVM)

Hail, Hero! (1969)

Tribes (1970-TVM)

Welcome Home, Johnny Bristol (1971-TVM)

Outside In (1972) (aka:  "Red, White and Busted")

Welcome Home, Soldier Boys (1972)  > I can't help but wonder if the makers of "First Blood" saw this movie. 

Green Eyes (1976-TVM)

Special Delivery (1976)

Vigilante Force (1976) 

Tracks (1976)

Heroes (1977)

Rolling Thunder (1977)

Boys In Company C, The (1978)

Coming Home (1978)

Deer Hunter, The (1978)

Go Tell the Spartans (1978)

Who'll Stop the Rain? (1978)

Apocalypse Now (1979)

First Blood (1982)

Memorial Day (1983-Tvm)

Uncommon Valor (1983)

Missing In Action (1984)

Missing In Action 2 -- The Beginning (1985)

Cease Fire (1985)

Rambo:  First Blood, Part II (1985)

Intimate Strangers (1986-TVM)

Distant Thunder (1986)

House (1986)

Platoon (1986)

Full Metal Jacket (1987)

Good Morning, Vietnam (1987)

Hamburger Hill (1987)

Hanoi Hilton, The (1987)

Off Limits (1988)  Not really a 'War' movie, but the setting is Saigon circa 1968. 

Born on the Fourth of July (1989)

Casualites of War (1989)

In Country (1989)

Jacknife (1989)

Welcome Home (1989)

Air America (1990)

--------------------------------

Those are all the movies I can recall that have something to do with the Vietnam War, even if only peripherally.  For instance, in "Hail, Hero!" with Michael Douglas he plays a college student who's against the Vietnam War, but decides to enlist and then goes home to tell his parents (Arthur Kennedy, Teresa Wright).  Not exactly a "war movie", but his enlistment is the crux of the plot.       

• Like 3

Mr. Gorman, Thanks for your research and your list.  Like I said on the other thread, I do wish TCM would/could show more of these, at least on Memorial Day and Veterans Day,  and not just the ususal suspects.

I see you're a fellow Georgian, CH.  If I think of any more Vietnam-themed movies I'll add them to the list. 

A couple of the movies, SPECIAL DELIVERY and VIGILANTE FORCE, have a group of characters featured who were all Vietnam veterans.  They're mainly action movies done '70s style, but I thought I'd include them.  

I ran across another Vietnam-themed movie; it's a 1983 Tv movie called 'MEMORIAL DAY' with Mike Farrell.  I will add it to the list in the 1st post. 

I snagged a couple of Vietnam War movies lately.  THE BOYS IN COMPANY C (1978) arrived today on Columbia.  A 1982 Columbia VHS release; an oldie-goldie.  I was surprised it still had all 4 of its proper labels attached.  The top label, the spine label + the orange quality-control sticker and a small, square Columbia sticker.  Far out.   

I also acquired a 1986 movie about a Vietnam veteran; not a war movie by any stretch, but it's HOUSE starring William Katt. 

Now I need to get JACKNIFE (1989) with Robert DeNiro, Ed Harris, Kathy Baker.  I had a tape of this at one time and need to get another.  This time, however, I will get one with an un-faded box and a better videocassette.  Shouldn't be very expensive. 

'THE BOYS IN COMPANY C' cost me $10.98 from Amazon (shipping cost included) and 'JACKNIFE' ought to be cheaper than that.  

WELCOME HOME, SOLDIER BOYS (1972), a pre-cursor to 1982's FIRST BLOOD, is available on FOX Cinema Archives.  I will snag that disc one o'these days.  The movie goes out with a bang!

• Like 1

I noted there's a thread in the 'General Discussions' section in regards to only one Vietnam War movie being aired on 'Memorial Day' and it got me to thinking about what other movies I've seen or heard of that deal -- at least to some extent -- with the Vietnam War and/or its ramifications on Americans going there and/or returning home. 

I thought I'd make a list and post it here.  I'm sure I'll have missed some Vietnam War-themed movies from the era I'm targeting -- 1967-1990 -- so a "thank you" to anyone who posts other titles. I am not familiar at all with Vietnam War-themed films made after 1990.  

Those are all the movies I can recall that have something to do with the Vietnam War, even if only peripherally.  For instance, in "Hail, Hero!" with Michael Douglas he plays a college student who's against the Vietnam War, but decides to enlist and then goes home to tell his parents (Arthur Kennedy, Teresa Wright).  Not exactly a "war movie", but his enlistment is the crux of the plot.       

Bat*21 (1988)