Sign in to follow this  
HoldenIsHere

Summer Under The Stars 2015 **** SCHEDULE NOW AVAILABLE ****

507 posts in this topic

Since we know the Essentials selections for August, we can start speculating who will be the Summer Under The Stars honorees for the those 5 days.

I suppose August 8 will be Julie Harris because who else in EAST OF EDEN has enough movies to fill 24 hours (well, I guess it could be Raymond Massey or Burl Ives).

I would think August 29 would be Paul Newman, but didn't he have a day last year?

screen-shot-2015-02-15-at-12-13-41-pm.pn

You're probably right about Julie Harris.

I think the 15th is the toughest one to guess-- Doug Fairbanks Jr., Ronald Colman, Mary Astor, Raymond Massey, David Niven, Madeleine Carroll, C. Aubrey Smith (if they go with a character actor)-- it could be any one of them. 

Just checked-- and yes, Newman was featured last year (so maybe they're going with Jackie Gleason):

TUESDAY AUGUST 19, 2014: PAUL NEWMAN

THE RACK

UNTIL THEY SAIL

THE OUTRAGE

THE PRIZE

HARPER

RACHEL, RACHEL

COOL HAND LUKE

THE LEFT-HANDED GUN

BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF

SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME

THE HELEN MORGAN STORY

SOTS is essentially a month to celebrate the stars of MGM, Warner Bros. & RKO...which is pretty much the case with the rest of the year, for hundreds of Universal and Paramount titles remain unavailable. No proper tributes to Mae West, W.C. Fields, Nancy Carroll, Tallulah Bankhead, Richard Arlen, Charlie Ruggles and Mary Boland, Abbott & Costello, Deanna Durbin, Maria Montez, Evelyn Ankers, Anne Gwynne, Dick Foran, Olsen & Johnson, Peggy Ryan andd Donald O'Connor, Patric Knowles, Robert Paige, David Bruce, Turhan Bey, et al.

SOTS is essentially a month to celebrate the stars of MGM, Warner Bros. & RKO...which is pretty much the case with the rest of the year, for hundreds of Universal and Paramount titles remain unavailable. No proper tributes to Mae West, W.C. Fields, Nancy Carroll, Tallulah Bankhead, Richard Arlen, Charlie Ruggles and Mary Boland, Abbott & Costello, Deanna Durbin, Maria Montez, Evelyn Ankers, Anne Gwynne, Dick Foran, Olsen & Johnson, Peggy Ryan andd Donald O'Connor, Patric Knowles, Robert Paige, David Bruce, Turhan Bey, et al.

What you say is sadly the case but don't forget about the Columbia stars.  

What you say is sadly the case but don't forget about the Columbia stars.  

Yes, I think Prince was being realistic. TCM's programmers try to get around the shortcomings of the TCM Library by doing an occasional primetime spotlight with a star whose works were primarily with Universal, Paramount or Fox-- like a night focusing on Bob Hope or Bing Crosby or even Mae West-- but those nights are unfortunately far and few in-between.

The other way they get around it is they will feature a household name as Star of the Month, like John Wayne, and one of the four evenings they will throw in maybe two pictures he made at Republic (where he spent many years of his career). So they are creating the illusion that they show films from all the studios, and technically they do-- but not in equal amounts.

I would think August 29 would be Paul Newman, but didn't he have a day last year?

If I had to guess, I'd say it'd be George C. Scott.  Gleason is terrific, but he was only in one (1) feature film between 1942 (Larceny Inc.)  and 1961 (The Hustler).

What I'm really wondering is who their token foreign star is going to be.  In recent years we've had Jean Gabin, Catherine Deneuve, Toshiro Mifune, and Jeanne Moreau, which is the equivalent of a Dream Team.   I'd love to see a day devoted to someone like Alain Delon, or maybe a director like Eric Rohmer.  Anything to give us a break from the same old Hollywood repeats.

• Like 1

If I had to guess, I'd say it'd be George C. Scott.  Gleason is terrific, but he was only in one (1) feature film between 1942 (Larceny Inc.)  and 1961 (The Hustler).

I hope it is George C. Scott and that TCM airs THE HOSPITAL that got bumped from the schedule when they did a prime time mini-tribute to Scott last year. 

What I'm really wondering is who their token foreign star is going to be.  In recent years we've had Jean Gabin, Catherine Deneuve, Toshiro Mifune, and Jeanne Moreau, which is the equivalent of a Dream Team.   I'd love to see a day devoted to someone like Alain Delon, or maybe a director like Eric Rohmer.  Anything to give us a break from the same old Hollywood repeats.

You missed Sophia Loren, who was included last year.

I would almost like to see them do an obscure (to some of us) Bollywood star-- just to shake it up a bit and provide a bit more variety.  

Alain Delon did get half-day tribute in May 2013.  My wish-list includes Roger Duchesne, Giulietta Masina, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Setsuko Hara, and Fracoise Dorleac.

Alain Delon did get half-day tribute in May 2013.  My wish-list includes Roger Duchesne, Giulietta Masina, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Setsuko Hara, and Fracoise Dorleac.

It would be nice if they featured a star who worked primarily in Canada, or else had as many Canadian produced films as they did Hollywood films. 

It would be nice if they featured a star who worked primarily in Canada, or else had as many Canadian produced films as they did Hollywood films. 

Good luck finding them.  I'm amazed by how many Canadian films prior to 1990 there are that have never made it to dvd.  Even many of those voted in the top 10 best Canadian films of all time have never been released on dvd.

And we are not going that far back in time.  Canada's dramatic feature film heyday was arguably in the 1980's.  And most of those films are not on dvd.

However, they have been screened on movie channels in the past so there must be some sort of archived broadcast 'tapes' with the various distributors.

Sadly, they are not shown that much on the movie channels in Toronto as the stations here concentrate on films made in the last ten years.  

And lastly, most Canadian actors who have gone on to become known around the globe have usually done so because they have left Canada to make it in Hollywood.  Mary Pickford, Walter Huston, Walter Pidgeon, Glen Ford, etc.

Good luck finding them.  I'm amazed by how many Canadian films prior to 1990 there are that have never made it to dvd.  Even many of those voted in the top 10 best Canadian films of all time have never been released on dvd.

And we are not going that far back in time.  Canada's dramatic feature film heyday was arguably in the 1980's.  And most of those films are not on dvd.

However, they have been screened on movie channels in the past so there must be some sort of archived broadcast 'tapes' with the various distributors.

Sadly, they are not shown that much on the movie channels in Toronto as the stations here concentrate on films made in the last ten years.  

And lastly, most Canadian actors who have gone on to become known around the globe have usually done so because they have left Canada to make it in Hollywood.  Mary Pickford, Walter Huston, Walter Pidgeon, Glen Ford, etc.

I was thinking more along the lines of Genevieve Bujold and Art Hindle, people who made hit Canadian films in the 70s or early 80s. 

If anyone can bring those films to the screen again it's TCM.

SOTS is one of the worst features of TCM.   Just cannot understand dedicating a 24 hour block to one celebrity.  Especially when some of them made movies that were far too similar to each other.

Diversity, Variety, Equal Treatment!

As PrinceSaliano said, there are far too many "stars" excluded because they didn't come from a studio to which TCM has a lot of access or TCM doesn't have rights to movies.

I was thinking more along the lines of Genevieve Bujold and Art Hindle, people who made hit Canadian films in the 70s or early 80s. 

If anyone can bring those films to the screen again it's TCM.

Very kind of you to call them 'hits'

If you ever get the chance to see Bujold's first film, Amanita Pestilens do so.  Quite funny but awfully hard to find.

Very kind of you to call them 'hits'

If you ever get the chance to see Bujold's first film, Amanita Pestilens do so.  Quite funny but awfully hard to find.

Okay, I can modify that statement LOL-- change hits to cult classics. :)

You missed Sophia Loren, who was included last year.

I would almost like to see them do an obscure (to some of us) Bollywood star-- just to shake it up a bit and provide a bit more variety.  

I'd love to see TCM branch out to Bollywood, but I didn't include Loren for the reason that so much of her career was spent over here.  IMO that would defeat the purpose of having a foreign star of the day.

SOTS is one of the worst features of TCM.   Just cannot understand dedicating a 24 hour block to one celebrity.  Especially when some of them made movies that were far too similar to each other.

Diversity, Variety, Equal Treatment!

As PrinceSaliano said, there are far too many "stars" excluded because they didn't come from a studio to which TCM has a lot of access or TCM doesn't have rights to movies.

I guess it comes down to what type of diversity one is looking for.   To me SOTS offers a lot of diversity as it relates to the programming for the MONTH.    So yea,  less diversity in any give DAY,  but more diversity as it relates to the MONTH.

Bela Lugosi

Victor Jory

John Carradine

Lionel Atwill

Wheeler & Woolsey

Ann Harding

Helen Twelvetrees

Tom Tyler

Leila Hyams

Lupe Velez

The Three Stooges

I would like to suggest someone who may not be familiar to North American audiences and that is the French actor, Harry Baur (1880-1943).

His Les Miserables (1934) has just been re-mastered on dvd.  Originally released as 3 films with a running time of 280 minutes.  Charles Vanel co-stars as Javert.  That could account for a nice part of the day right there!

I'm also a big fan of his Le Golem (1936) by Julien Duvivier.  Canada's Bravo channel used to run an old acceptable print of this.

Hatred (1938) aka Mollenard is actually playing at the BFI tonight which I will be going to.  It is very highly regarded.

Volpone, Beethoven's Great Love, Rasputin, Taras Bulba, Crime and Punishment and Forbidden Love are some of his other films.

His mysterious death in 1943 after being arrested by the Gestapo would also make for interesting conversation by our hosts.

I don't care about any other SUTS except George Sanders...even if it means I have to watch the Falcon for 24 hours....throw in a little "Village of the Dammed" a little "Picture of Dorian Grey" along with Rebecca and the Italian movie he made (name unknown) with Ingrid Bergman and I will be a happy camper. 

I don't care about any other SUTS except George Sanders...even if it means I have to watch the Falcon for 24 hours....throw in a little "Village of the Dammed" a little "Picture of Dorian Grey" along with Rebecca and the Italian movie he made (name unknown) with Ingrid Bergman and I will be a happy camper. 

Emily,

I think you're referring to a film called JOURNEY TO ITALY. They also made one earlier called RAGE IN HEAVEN.

I hope it is George C. Scott and that TCM airs THE HOSPITAL that got bumped from the schedule when they did a prime time mini-tribute to Scott last year. 

It could very well be Piper Laurie too.......

• Like 1

maybe they'll show CARRIE:

Hey, talk about a great double feature:  Carrie (1952, with Jennifer Jones and Laurence Olivier), and Carrie (1976, with Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie).  It'd be hard to think of two movies that have less in common, but they're both absolute classics in their respective genres.  I'm not sure that either of these great films have ever been shown on TCM---if they have, I've never seen them there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-sx4j3T3_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5odtIbTbDyA