Sign in to follow this  
HoldenIsHere

Summer Under The Stars 2015 **** SCHEDULE NOW AVAILABLE ****

507 posts in this topic

I just saw Alex Gibney's two-part documentary on Sinatra for HBO, and there's a segment in which the Chairman of the Board says he was born on December 12, 1915.

Oh, I dont doubt it. But I do remember reading years ago it was listed as 1917..........(this was MANY years ago.........)

I just saw Alex Gibney's two-part documentary on Sinatra for HBO, and there's a segment in which the Chairman of the Board says he was born on December 12, 1915.

I wonder about the birth year of Jean Arthur.   Wiki has 1900 but a book I have Lunatics and Lovers (Ted Sennett),  has her birth year as 1905.      Also, for fans of 30s and 40s comedies this book is a must.       

Last year the Summer Under The Stars honorees were known by May 7.

I wonder if TCM will make the August schedule available around the same time this year.

Last year the Summer Under The Stars honorees were known by May 7.

I wonder if TCM will make the August schedule available around the same time this year.

It would be nice Holden-- but if the past two months are any indication (where we're not getting new schedule info until after the 15th), it might be later than it was last year.

May 7 has come and gone and still no August schedule available  online.

Right. I think we will have to wait a little while longer...

I am eager to see all the great new artwork-- providing they do sketches of the honorees again like last year. Fabulous stuff.

Stiil no August online schedule.

I admit, I do wish fo see which actors will get.selected, especially those chosen for th first.fime. And I will get upset when certain stars get.selected for the 8th or 9th time, even 4th time. But it doesn't matter to me how early they release the schedule; I can barely keep upa with what TCM is showing tomorrow, much less three months from now.

• Like 1

I admit, I do wish fo see which actors will get.selected, especially those chosen for th first.fime. And I will get upset when certain stars get.selected for the 8th or 9th time, even 4th time. But it doesn't matter to me how early they release the schedule; I can barely keep upa with what TCM is showing tomorrow, much less three months from now.

That's me.  I always get my Now Playing Guide and excitedly circle everything that I want to make sure to watch/DVR and then still have to make sure to look at the schedule either on the TV or in a joint effort between the TV and the TCM website to make sure I remember to record everything.  Today, I recorded all of the bad sci-fi movies.  I look forward to watching some of them this weekend after work.  We were put on mandatory OT this weekend, so while 16 hours of time and a half is nice... I'd much rather watch movies and work on my house.  ::sigh:: I'm definitely buying myself some fun movies or something after all the OT is done for the quarter.  I think I've put in 50+ hours a week for the last 1.5 months.

Today, I recorded all of the bad sci-fi movies.  I look forward to watching some of them this weekend after work. 

There's something about those "bad" sci-fi movies that are so appealing --- along the so bad they're good lines.

I mentioned THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE in another thread.

The assistant's death scene is classic.

Stiil no August online schedule.

If it's not available this afternoon, we'll have to wait till next week. I don't remember a new schedule ever being made available on a weekend.

Maybe next week the Summer Under The Stars schedule will be announced

Maybe TCM is negotiating some nice surprises for the viewers.

Right. My guess is they have most of it figured out, but there are probably a few titles they are trying to finalize.

Though we may get some substitutions at the last minute. The schedule they publish now will probably not be carved in stone.

I do remember the August schedule was avaialbe by May 7 last year.

Not sure why I remember that . . .

I vaguely remember something along those lines, too...I'm sure we don't have much longer to wait.

The captain has just turned the 'fasten seatbelt' sign on, and we're beginning our descent into the August Schedule. Look out the window-- you can see all the lights below. That's TCM City.

Call me cynical, but I doubt it.

Any chance they would just do away with this?

I doan mind the concept but it is the lack of imagination when choosing the same-old same-old as representations of the person's works.

But hey, maybe they are trying to recruit new people with greatest hits.

An odd month to try to attract younger viewers though.

I suppose the pros and cons of this programming has been debated back and forth long before I joined the boards.

Any chance they would just do away with this?...I suppose the pros and cons of this programming has been debated back and forth long before I joined the boards.

It has been discussed ad nauseum in recent years. This is something TCM enjoys doing. Maybe it's best to just appreciate it, instead of complaining incessantly about programming decisions that are beyond the viewers' control.

I sincerely doubt the Summer Under the Stars main purpose is to attract new viewers at the end of the summer. It is a special themed celebration like February, and it's a chance for them to program 24 hour blocks for a whole month, which is different than their other schedules during the year. We can allow them some latitude. It's just one month out of twelve.

Perhaps, like I said previously I don't mind the concept but find the choices they make as representative films for the stars a bit repetitive and perhaps just a bit too convenient and easy.

• Like 1

Another day and the schedule is still not yet available...maybe tomorrow...?

Well, as Jack Webb said, "In America, there's always a tomorrow", and Jack Webb was a man of his word.  Although sometimes his word seems to have been sold to the highest bidder.

4342a.jpg

383041dbaf2d8bc074191fb26c86fd59.jpg

jack-webb-fatima-cigarettes.png

• Like 1