Sign in to follow this  
HoldenIsHere

Summer Under The Stars 2015 **** SCHEDULE NOW AVAILABLE ****

507 posts in this topic

Well, as Jack Webb said, "In America, there's always a tomorrow", and Jack Webb was a man of his word.  Although sometimes his word seems to have been sold to the highest bidder.

4342a.jpg

383041dbaf2d8bc074191fb26c86fd59.jpg

jack-webb-fatima-cigarettes.png His voice always sounded like he consumed too many "cancer sticks", but it sure was memorable.

Well, as Jack Webb said, "In America, there's always a tomorrow", and Jack Webb was a man of his word.  Although sometimes his word seems to have been sold to the highest bidder.

4342a.jpg

383041dbaf2d8bc074191fb26c86fd59.jpg

jack-webb-fatima-cigarettes.png

His voice always sounded like he consumed too many "cancer sticks", but it sure was memorable.

It was probably all those free samples.  And then there were his four wives.

_07ME002_.jpg

Women%2Band%2BCigarettes,%2Bca.%2B1950s%

woman-smoking-cigarettes.jpg

Women%2Band%2BCigarettes,%2Bca.%2B1950s%

I think REDD FOXX's voice was the most 'cigarette-sounding' with Richard Boone not far behind.

Of course, in Redd's case even if he didn't smoke he was still talking (or even shouting) over cheap microphones and loud patrons in nightclubs for over 40 years + breathing in lots and lots of second-hand smoke from the customers. 

There's a funny cigarette ad posted to YouTube with Lee Marvin circa 1959 for PALL MALL's.  He's finishing up a workout with boxing gloves on smacking around a little punching bag and then he goes to have himself an unfiltered Pall Mall which, according to the ad, is a very mild cigarette because it 'gentles' the smoke (and shows a diagram of how it does so).    

I think REDD FOXX's voice was the most 'cigarette-sounding' with Richard Boone not far behind.

Of course, in Redd's case even if he didn't smoke he was still talking (or even shouting) over cheap microphones and loud patrons in nightclubs for over 40 years + breathing in lots and lots of second-hand smoke from the customers. 

There's a funny cigarette ad posted to YouTube with Lee Marvin circa 1959 for PALL MALL's.  He's finishing up a workout with boxing gloves on smacking around a little punching bag and then he goes to have himself an unfiltered Pall Mall which, according to the ad, is a very mild cigarette because it 'gentles' the smoke (and shows a diagram of how it does so).    

My favorite line for a movie star's cigarette ad has got to be Carole Lombard's:

620ab665e1bcab3a1a0a7d6eba7dc2f9.jpg

Nothing like belting out tunes after chomping cigs!  :P

I bet the 'voice coach' was named Nick O'Teen. 

Well, as Jack Webb said, "In America, there's always a tomorrow",

Clarice the reindeer also said, uh, sang, something like that.

Clarice the reindeer also said, uh, sang, something like that.

Looks like Rudolph's problem may have had more to do with Johnny Walker than asbestos filters.

Still no schedule . . .

Yes, it is quite late. It's the 20th already, for goodness sakes! :)

There's got to be something very special for us. Making us wait already for 3 weeks into this month.

Perhaps they found THE MONKEY'S PAW or CONVENTION CITY. How about CHRISTOPHER BEAN or BEGGARS OF LIFE from the Eastman House ?  It's nice to dream. ;)

There's got to be something very special for us. Making us wait already for 3 weeks into this month.

Perhaps they found THE MONKEY'S PAW or CONVENTION CITY. How about CHRISTOPHER BEAN or BEGGARS OF LIFE from the Eastman House ?  It's nice to dream. ;)

I just bought a DVD of Beggars of Life.  Great acting by Brooks and Beery, but it may have been the worst print I've ever seen, almost totally washed out in more than a few spots.  I'd like to think there's a better one out there somewhere.

I just bought a DVD of Beggars of Life.  Great acting by Brooks and Beery, but it may have been the worst print I've ever seen, almost totally washed out in more than a few spots.  I'd like to think there's a better one out there somewhere.

Yes,there is ! It's supposed to be in the Eastman House in Rochester, N.Y.

Yes,there is ! It's supposed to be in the Eastman House in Rochester, N.Y.

A restored print was presented at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival in 2007. TCM has showed other films from the George Eastman House in the past [ THE VALIANT]. We need to press TCM to get BEGGARS OF LIFE shown.

• Like 1

A restored print was presented at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival in 2007. TCM has showed other films from the George Eastman House in the past [ THE VALIANT]. We need to press TCM to get BEGGARS OF LIFE shown.

That's great to know, and it should definitely be a TCM priority to get a hold of this restored print. In terms of Brooks's movies, it's not up to Pandora's Box or Diary of a Lost Girl (which is another film that TCM should go after), but it's certainly way above anything else she ever made in Hollywood.  And Beery is as good as ever, in his brute with a heart of gold sort of way.

Perhaps they found THE MONKEY'S PAW or CONVENTION CITY. How about CHRISTOPHER BEAN or BEGGARS OF LIFE from the Eastman House ?  It's nice to dream.

Yes, there's nothing wrong with being hopeful.

Has Robert Wagner ever been featured during a Summer Under the Stars period? He's headlined or appeared in enough noteworthy movies to merit the attention. And I'd love to see "Prince Valiant" again!

Plus Wagner could introduce and provide background about his own movies if Robert Osborne is still out.

• Like 1

C'mon TCM !  We've never had to wait this long.

Yes-- they are certainly making us sweat this one out!

I think this may be a record wait.

Well I said this last Friday-- the schedule doesn't post on weekends. And Monday is a holiday.

Well I said this last Friday-- the schedule doesn't post on weekends. And Monday is a holiday.

Well except for the Monday part , I hope you won't have to post this message again next Friday.

Well except for the Monday part , I hope you won't have to post this message again next Friday.

I hope I don't either, cody. :) The earliest the schedule will be known is Tuesday the 26th. And it usually happens in the afternoon.