johnbabe

greta garbo

7 posts in this topic

why is it that TCM takes so long to show her films and when they do, they are at very bad hours.  however, i see that on may 2nd they will be showing as an essential no less, Ninotchka and then Anna Christie which they nver show and they will also show Queen Christina which was way ahead of its time in content, watch the film and see what i mean, anyway thank you TCM for this nice treat, keep up the good work, incidentally i am sick of seeing Gaslight it is a good film but really every other week it is on.......and correct me if i am wrong but Bergman does not create much interest today, lots of young people do not even know who she is, but they know Garbo!

TCM did a daytime tribute to Garbo last September 18th, which would have been her 109th birthday, Three of her silent films were shown: "Love" (1927), "The Single Standard" (1929) and "Wild Orchids" (1929), as well as a two-part documentary from 1986 about her life and career. She also was featured in episodes of "MGM Parade Show."

But I can't remember the last time "Anna Christie" and "Queen Christina" were shown on TCM during prime-viewing hours.

I would have to say Ingrid Bergman has a bigger following than Garbo because Bergman had a longer career and appeared in more sound pictures.

And it's interesting that when the American Film Institute released its 1999 survey of the Top 25 Female Screen Legends of All-Time, Bergman was fourth (behind Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis and Audrey Hepburn). Garbo was fifth.

I think that Bergman out ranks Garbo with modern audiences if only for one reason - CASABLANCA. And that one reason alone is sure to keep Bergman's name in the limelight for old movie buffs (and modern audiences, too, to a limited degree).

Garbo has no such assurance. Her vehicles now seem incredibly creaky, with the possible exceptions of Grand Hotel and Ninotchka. Queen Christina is good, perhaps her best, but her name alone no longer commands attention the way it once did.

And the problem for Garbo with Grand Hotel is that her prima donna ballerina performance, with its dramatic highs and lows, is far from the actress at her best, and may be off putting to modern audiences not familiar with her other work.

Don't forget that Ingrid did 3 Hitchcock films, 2 of which are among his  better efforts.  And Ingrid did films into the 70's, that makes her a more "modern" actress than Garbo for current audiences.  But it shouldn't be looked at as a competition between the two women, both were exceptional talents and presences on the screen. I don't think that anyone of today can compare with  either of  them.  I credit Johnbabe for his devotion to Greta Garbo, I'm sure he isn't alone out there for his feelings. As long as she has those fans, she won't be forgotten, nor should she be. Keep the faith,  John.

Don't forget that Ingrid did 3 Hitchcock films, 2 of which are among his  better efforts.  And Ingrid did films into the 70's, that makes her a more "modern" actress than Garbo for current audiences.  But it shouldn't be looked at as a competition between the two women, both were exceptional talents and presences on the screen. I don't think that anyone of today can compare with  either of  them.  I credit Johnbabe for his devotion to Greta Garbo, I'm sure he isn't alone out there for his feelings. As long as she has those fans, she won't be forgotten, nor should she be. Keep the faith,  John.

Well here we go again trying to figure out what 'current audiences'  know or don't know.    All I know is that the vast majority of the time I'm surprised by the lack of knowledge the everyday Joe and Jane has about studio-era stars,  even most people over the age of 60.   They know Monroe, Audrey Hepburn (if they are a women) and Wayne.    After that,, well,  it gets dicey.

But as it relates to these two, I have to agree that Bergman is likely to be more well known than Garbo for the reasons given.   You're point about more recent films (if one can say the 70s is recent),  is something I have noticed with those 'not in the know';   the odds increase if one has made movies with stars that are still alive and fairly active today (OR have children that are).

So Goldie Hawn, and her daughter Kate Hudson (more well know to current audiences than anyone I have listed here),  helps push Bergman over Garbo.

Also to consider----

I've a friend who had NO idea whom HEDY LAMARR was until "BLAZING SADDLES" and the HEDY/HEDLY Lamarr jokes abounded.

NOW, he's a HUGE Hedy Lamarr fan!

Now, personally, I've never been big on Garbo, and always wondered what the big deal was.  I long thought the woman was on 'LUDES or something before she got in front of a camera.  Like doing what she was getting PAID for was BORING HER or something.

Sepiatone

1924's THE SAGA OF GOSTA BERLING shows a young very beautiful Garbo at 19.  TCM should show this in prime time.  A very fine silent Swedish movie.