Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

TOO LATE FOR TEARS (1949)

41 posts in this topic

I know nothing about this film, but after reading the reviews, its on my list. With Dan Duryea in it I'm sure its gonna be good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moorman said:

I know nothing about this film, but after reading the reviews, its on my list. With Dan Duryea in it I'm sure its gonna be good.

If you're a fan of Dan Duryea, you will definitely enjoy this film.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TopBilled said:

If you're a fan of Dan Duryea, you will definitely enjoy this film.

+1 It's a total gem from beginning to end with all the classic Noir elements. Duryea and Scott are at their best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, decojoe67 said:

+1 It's a total gem from beginning to end with all the classic Noir elements. Duryea and Scott are at their best.

Add to this that UCLA recently restored Too Late for Tears and TCM is showing that version and yes, it is a must-see for any fan of noir.    To me this is one of Duryea's best noir characters since it is nuanced.   E.g. he lacks the guts to really carry off the type of person he initially portrays to Scott's character.    Scott role is also nuanced since as the film progresses she transitions from just someone that wants some dough to 'get ahead' to someone capable of doing anything.    

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 5:53 PM, Moorman said:

Too Late for Tears (a.k.a. Killer Bait and La Tigresse) is in the public domain, but if you can get the DVD with the featurettes hosted by Eddie Mueller, you can hear a bit about both Dan Duryea and Lizabeth Scott. Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just finished watching this.  It IS a gem. I saw a bad copy on youtube but still enjoyed it. I have some small quibbles about the plot and a question. ( spoiler alerts).

The husband leaving the note on the bag at the train station. I couldn't get with that. Seems it would draw too much attention to a nosy baggage attendant. Blake popping up at exactly the right time. It helped make the movie a gem as you kept wondering who the heck he is but the timing of him popping up was convenient.  Danny.  He started strong and got weaker and weaker.  I didn't believe that with all the trouble he had going on that he would start slipping and get drunk like that.  At the hotel down in Mexico, Jane went a looong way to that balcony before she fell.  A better setup would've been her standing closer to the balcony and Blake approaching her as if to grab her.  Lastly, how did Blake know about the boat ride his brother and Jane took?

Overall, like i said above, its a great movie...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moorman said:

I just finished watching this.  It IS a gem. I saw a bad copy on youtube but still enjoyed it. I have some small quibbles about the plot and a question. ( spoiler alerts).

The husband leaving the note on the bag at the train station. I couldn't get with that. Seems it would draw too much attention to a nosy baggage attendant. Blake popping up at exactly the right time. It helped make the movie a gem as you kept wondering who the heck he is but the timing of him popping up was convenient.  Danny.  He started strong and got weaker and weaker.  I didn't believe that with all the trouble he had going on that he would start slipping and get drunk like that.  At the hotel down in Mexico, Jane went a looong way to that balcony before she fell.  A better setup would've been her standing closer to the balcony and Blake approaching her as if to grab her.  Lastly, how did Blake know about the boat ride his brother and Jane took?

Yes. I agree that Blake always pops up at the right time. Don DeFore is actually billed over Dan Duryea, and he was under contract to producer Hal Wallis, so it was necessary that he be worked into the plot at strategic intervals to boost him as a star. But actually when all is said and done, I think the love story with DeFore and Miller is the most satisfying part of the movie. It's a noir that has a happy ending because of them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Moorman said:

You probably have to get a hold of The Saturday Evening Post serial story to see what the author actually put down on paper. Just got done reading Deadline At Dawn by Woolrich and it's barely similar to the film they made out of it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Moorman said:

As I'm sure you know many films have someone 'popping up' that isn't very realistic.  This was the case with Blake.

His brother (Scott's first husband),  died a few years before, so it is logical to assume that IF he felt something wasn't right about how he died,  he would have popped up and tried to investigate shortly after he died.   But yea,  then we wouldn't have such a juicy story!

14 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes. I agree that Blake always pops up at the right time. Don DeFore is actually billed over Dan Duryea, and he was under contract to producer Hal Wallis, so it was necessary that he be worked into the plot at strategic intervals to boost him as a star. But actually when all is said and done, I think the love story with DeFore and Miller is the most satisfying part of the movie. It's a noir that has a happy ending because of them.

I had no problem with him popping up DURING the plot. It was his INITIAL appearance which was coincidental. His original premise for being there. His timing couldn't have been better.  Regardless, his character became the defacto detective of the movie. I STILL wanna know how he knew about the boat ride...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2018 at 2:33 PM, Moorman said:

I had no problem with him popping up DURING the plot. It was his INITIAL appearance which was coincidental. His original premise for being there. His timing couldn't have been better.  Regardless, his character became the defacto detective of the movie. I STILL wanna know how he knew about the boat ride...

It's been a while since I have seen Too Late for Tears, but didn't Don DeFore's character follow the clues that led him to think that Alan Palmer and Jane Palmer took a boat ride? He didn't actually know this for a fact because the employee could only vaguely describe two different men with Jane Palmer the night that Alan disappeared. But Don DeFore thought it was strange that Jane Palmer possibly left with one man and came back with another. At the end of the film, Don takes from Jane only as much money as he needs to pay to have the pond dredged for his brother's body because he really believes the body is in the pond.

It may be time for me to see this film again!

I think Don DeFore is keeping an eye on Jane Palmer not because her husband Alan is his brother, but because her first husband was his brother, and his brother died mysteriously, too.

Like I said: It's time for me to see this film again.

Edited by Marianne
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Marianne said:

It's been a while since I have seen Too Late for Tears, but didn't Don DeFore's character follow the clues that led him to think his brother Alan Palmer and Jane Palmer took a boat ride? He didn't actually know this for a fact because the employee could only vaguely describe two different men with Jane Palmer the night that Alan disappeared. But Don DeFore thought it was strange that Jane Palmer possibly left with one man and came back with another. At the end of the film, Don takes from Jane only as much money as he needs to pay to have the pond dredged for his brother's body because he really believes the body is in the pond.

Good point(s). I think your ideas make sense.

3 hours ago, Marianne said:

It's been a while since I have seen Too Late for Tears, but didn't Don DeFore's character follow the clues that led him to think his brother Alan Palmer and Jane Palmer took a boat ride? He didn't actually know this for a fact because the employee could only vaguely describe two different men with Jane Palmer the night that Alan disappeared. But Don DeFore thought it was strange that Jane Palmer possibly left with one man and came back with another. At the end of the film, Don takes from Jane only as much money as he needs to pay to have the pond dredged for his brother's body because he really believes the body is in the pond.

I don't know if the clues lead him to think they went on the boat ride. Thats why i asked. I might have missed what lead him to believe that.  Did Jane mention the boat ride? I honestly missed what lead him to know about that boat ride.

43 minutes ago, Moorman said:

I don't know if the clues lead him to think they went on the boat ride. Thats why i asked. I might have missed what lead him to believe that.  Did Jane mention the boat ride? I honestly missed what lead him to know about that boat ride.

Moorman:

I amended my post above. Here's what I added:

3 hours ago, Marianne said:

I think Don DeFore is keeping an eye on Jane Palmer not because her husband Alan is his brother, but because her first husband was his brother, and his brother died mysteriously, too.

Like I said: It's time for me to see this film again.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the boat ride, except that Don DeFore asks Jane Palmer and her sister-in-law lots of questions and it might have come up in their conversations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Marianne said:

Moorman:

I amended my post above. Here's what I added:

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the boat ride, except that Don DeFore asks Jane Palmer and her sister-in-law lots of questions and it might have come up in their conversations.

I went back to find the answer and you are correct.  He asked Jane's sister in law if she knew where Jane and her husband went the night he came up missing. She said YES.  So, even though she didn't SAY the whereabouts ( to the viewing audience), she knew where Jane had went with her husband.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moorman said:

I went back to find the answer and you are correct.  He asked Jane's sister in law if she knew where Jane and her husband went the night he came up missing. She said YES.  So, even though she didn't SAY the whereabouts ( to the viewing audience), she knew where Jane had went with her husband.  

Good to know. All the posts here have moved Too Late for Tears onto "My See Again" list!

😀

• Like 2