[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
HoldenIsHere

Where is BOMBA ON PANTHER ISLAND?

5 posts in this topic

Beginning on Saturday May 2, TCM will be showing the Bomba the Jungle Boy movies from the 1940s and 1950s starting with the first entry BOMBA THE JUNGLE BOY (1949).

The last movie LORD OF THE JUNGLE (1955) is scheduled to air on July 25.

It appears that all 12 of the Bomba movies are on the schedule from May through July except  for the second movie in the series BOMBA ON PANTHER ISLAND (1949) .

Some online research reveals that BOMBA ON PANTHER ISLAND has aired previously on TCM. Apparently TCM aired the Bomba movies in 2011/2012. This must have been when I saw some of them for the first time.

See link below:

http://www.examiner.com/article/tcm-presents-another-jungle-adventure-bomba-on-panther-island-saturday-nov-26

Why is BOMBA ON PANTHER ISLAND being omitted in 2015?

(or is there an error on the online schedule?)

These were so hilarious cheap & like Tarzan at M-G-M, these were relegated to  Monogram Studios-(P.S. Didn't the 19050's "Bowery Boys" film there as well?)

(TRIVIA: Virtually all of the original Tarzan Jungle sets are now under condo's, like most of MGM)

• Haha 1

I've enjoyed the five or six Bomba movies that I watched recently. I found them to be rather humane movies with interesting themes. Many of them were produced by Walter Mirisch, who went on to produce West Side Story, How to Succeed, and other major films. Here's a quote from Ron Howard about Mirisch (and Bomba):

"From Bomba, the Jungle Boy to Some Like It Hot and In the Heat of the Night . . . Walter Mirisch produced many of the films which dazzled and inspired me (and I'm not kidding about Bomba. I loved those movies as a kid). When I later acted in one of his (lesser) productions, The Spikes Gang, I learned that a prolific and brilliant producer could also be a terrific guy and a wonderful teacher."