Sign in to follow this  
LiamCasey

"Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" (1948)

7 posts in this topic

Tonight on METv's Svengoolie is 1948's Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein:

Bud Abbott. Lou Costello. Bela Lugosi one more time (Finally!) as Dracula. Lon Chaney Jr. for the last time as Larry Talbot (I know. I should make a snide comment about Universal and continuity at this point since Larry Talbot was cured of lycanthropy in House of Dracula.  But Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein just wouldn't have been the same without him.). Jane Randolph of Cat People and The Curse of the Cat People fame. Frank Ferguson (How many credits does this guy have anyway?!?). And Vincent Price (Or, at least, his voice.).

Need I write more?

I can't tell you how many times I've seen this movie over the years, its still a fun, entertaining flick. I don't know if it has much appeal to young audiences today though.  I first saw this "classic" in the early 60's, maybe on tv  at home but in those years my hometown had a Halloween parade for the kids. Afterward we went into the local school auditorium for snacks and they showed us some films; cartoons and the "feature" was this film. Not exactly on the "big" theatre  screen but on a home movie projection screen  which was better than the typical 19"  tv screen at home.  Great fun when you're 6 - 12 years old and a lasting childhood memory.

Seen it numerous times in 35mm, Universal is pretty good about renting these out. And always a big hit with an audience, even TikiKid loves 'em. Must be timeless, the true definition of "classic".

Seen it numerous times in 35mm, Universal is pretty good about renting these out. And always a big hit with an audience, even TikiKid loves 'em. Must be timeless, the true definition of "classic".

Contains everything that appeals to kids - monsters, funny situations ... no wonder it has stood the test of time.