Sign in to follow this  
brackenhe

Kennedy Center Honors announced

9 posts in this topic

Yay--I'm the first to post this (I think--I never get the poop on ANYTHING 1st.)

Robert Redford, Julie Harris, Tina Turner, Tony Bennett and Suzanne Farrell have been chosen for this years' Kennedy Center Honors. Congratulations!!!

It's gonna be nice to see Julie Harris again. And of course it's always a pleasure to see the dynamic Tina Turner.

Mongo

Hi,

Helen, dear --

So glad you got the 'really good poop' out there first....

Tony and Tina, that's great; and I'm happy for Robert and Julie too, but who the hell is Suzanne Farrell? I'm in the sticks here and have never heard of her...

Larry

I think they made great choices this time around.

I was particularly surprised about Suzanne Farrell, who was the last great muse and prima ballerina for the Russian-born choreographer of the New York City Ballet, George Balanchine. She was a fabulous dancer, based on the films I have seen of her. She recently started her own ballet company which has revived some of the ballets Balanchine created especially for her. The most recent production was of Don Quixote, a full-evening work rarely seen, which she restored. It played at the Kennedy Center earlier this spring, and I am hoping it comes soon to New York.

Hi,

Richard -

Thanks for telling me who Suzanne Farrell is. I'm not much of a ballet aficionado; opera is more my cultural forte.

But, I do love ballet music; in fact I am on the board of Calgary's Philharmonic Orchestra.

I'm sure she's a deserving recipient.

Larry

Helen--it sounded just fine, my dear. I'm always in favor of the Kennedy Center Honors. It's very distinguished to be chosen for this and I'm sure all who were chosen deserved the recognition. :):) Sue

i too saw the list - 2 actors, 2 singers and a dancer. what is the purpose of the kennedy center awards? is it just to honor performers? don't i remember tennessee williams being honored some years ago? and agnes de mille, choreographer?

well, i suppose i can't quibble with their choices, but their must be a writer, composer, choreographer, musician - what have you - out there somewhere crying foul. i'd sure include julie harris and suzanne farrell, but the others? well, maybe. or maybe i don't know enough about who has previously been honored. is it that they have already honored everyone and simply don't have any more to choose from?

thanks from thakhek, laos.

They are awards for performing artists and it has been a pattern of choosing a couple of actors, a singer or two and usually some other type of person involved in the performing arts (dancers, orchestral leaders and such.) These awards have been around for about 25 to 30 years & the honorees must still be alive and able to attend. Therefore, anyone who died prior to about 1978 or so have not been honored. Usually those honored have contributed something important or unique to their art. Longevity is usually a factor too. It's the highest honor for someone in the performing arts in America, although a few people from other countries have been honored too. For the most part I think it's deserved. I know you're thinking "Why Robert Redford?" But he has been a big influence in the independent film industry by establishing the Sundance Film Festival and the workshops that teach up & coming writers, directors & actors about the film making process. Folks from all areas of the arts have been honored. They have a good website where you can check out the previous honorees.