Sign in to follow this  
classicerafan

Is sex scenes and nudity necessary in movies?

51 posts in this topic

"that's why today many men and women don't respect the body because women don't respect it themselves"

 

hence my extreme dislike of Sharon Stone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope there is no need for nudity or sex scenes. If you take a look at a film like "Roman Holiday" and the kiss between Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn is enough to show love. Not only that it is classy and tasteful. So a simple kiss can show the love between two characters, that is it nothing more. Like you said classicerafan, I cannot see certain classic actors doing a sex or nudity scene. If Audrey Hepburn or Gregory Peck did a nude or sex scene, that would have just ruined there career and reputation. Plus both Audrey and Greg both had the sense not to do such a thing. But of course they could not do that back then anyhow! LOL But I don't think they would have even if the had the chance.

 

Did anyone see "Monsters Ball" with Halle Berry? The most untasteful thing I have ever seen on film!! She got the Oscar, just because she did that scene. Beleive me!

 

Message was edited by:

gregpeckfan1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At any rate,it takes more imagination and ingenuity and wit to imply the sex,than to just show it. And it works out better in the end that way,because the adults will be savvy enough to get it,and the kids could still watch and enjoy the movie on its face,and have the implied sex still be over their heads,where it should be at their ages(well then again,maybe not,these days-LOL-they'd probably "get it" before their parents did...on second thought,no LOL,it's actually kind of sad-nothing left to discover-no period of innocence and expectation-no romance...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm about as open minded as you can get, but I don't think that sex and nudity are necessary in films. A great example: Raiders of the Lost Ark , when they're on the boat after Indy stole the Ark from the Nazi's. Indy falls asleep after Marion kisses him. In the morning when he gets up to find out why the engines have stopped she pulls her nightgown off the top of the mirror (I think it was the mirror) and has to put it on. It was not necessary to show it and we know that they had sex sometime in the night. Now is that so hard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly. Anyone who's old enough to get,will,and if they don't,maybe they shouldn't. Don't get me wrong-I love the pre-Codes,and they were pretty racy-towards the end,right before the Code was really enforced,there was even some screen nudity(Jane swimming with Tarzan is one example). But they knew they never needed to show people "having at it" for adults to know what happened.It takes a lot more ingenuity and imagination to show what kind of relationship people had-romantic,gangster's moll,etc-without showing them having sex.And really,once you've seen two people having sex,you've seen it.If that's all you're interested in seeing,there's a whole industry geared towards it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did think that some of the post-Code,like twin beds for married people,etc,were silly. But you don't see people feeling like they need to show the actors going to the bathroom in the name of "realism" in most films-now they do have to go sometime,don't they? The characters in the movie? Have to go to the bathroom? But most directors seem to realise that we'll understand that without it being shown in graphic detail. So a lot of the sex shown in movies,just didn't need to be there. It's just prurience.

 

That's one reason why today's actresses will never have the glamor of the great stars of the silver screen-no mystery. I guess it's not possible in today's world,we don't have the innocence anymore to believe these are glamorous beings from another planet. We know better now. Thanks a lot,"Confidential" and "Enquirer",et al!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are a typical Female Chauvinist. The fact is most of the nudity in the media is of the male variety, but you won't be happy until 100% of the nudity is male. As a guy, I wonder where is all the full frontal nudity of women in the movies? Rarely do you see any and if they are nude they have **** hair down to their knees. You can't really see ANYTHING.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If God wanted us to be nude he wouldn't of put clothes on Adam and Eve.

classicerafan, I don't want to offend you or anything, but I think that Adam and Eve were created naked and they wore clothes only after they ate from the tree of good and evil.

Just something to think about.

Anyway, I do think that sex scenes can be both beautiful and tasteful, it just has to be done right. The human body is beautiful and as long as the sex scene isn't put in to shock or titillate or cover up for a poor script, it can be very useful and enjoyable.

I love classic movies, but I do believe that filmmakers today are allowed much more artistic freedom because of the ratings system and loss of the the Hays Code.

They just don't use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm definitely not a prude, but I hate it. If you want to see nudity and sex, go to the XXX theater or rent one. I want a story. That's why I watch TCM almost exclusively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you know what i like is when they close the bedroom door your imagination can do far more than any film can

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're necessary, they're absolutely necessary. I find it impossible to warch a movie unless I'm naked and having sex at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's central to the story it must be in there. Why? We don't live in the 40's or the 50's anymore where morals played such a key part in everyone's life. We live in the Era of Sex Sells. And while I'm a firm believer in the old methodology that 'less is more,' I do understand that we live in a different era of film. Nudity and explicity sells, so the studios will continue to implore this in many of the R rated films.

 

Doesn't bother me unless it's just ridiculous and it distracts from the story.

 

And I disagree that DEVIL'S ADVOCATE's nudity was irrelevant or unnecesary...you're talking about the Devil in that movie, and the Devil is no alter boy. The nudity in that film was totally relevant.

 

Now, a lot of films today use it as their primary selling point. Especially poorly made Horror films. In Horror, nudity is actually considered a convention of the genre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

?We don't live in the 40's or the 50's anymore where morals played such a key part in everyone's life. We live in the Era of Sex Sells.?

 

Maybe that?s the neighborhood where you live in Atlanta, but I don?t live in that neighborhood. You city people seem to think that the whole country has become like Bedford Falls if George Bailey had never lived, but it hasn?t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must say that some of those pre-code films on TCM can get hot and saucy. It makes me wonder if they are guilty pleasures for those prudes who knock modern day films?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

?I must say that some of those pre-code films on TCM can get hot and saucy. It makes me wonder if they are guilty pleasures for those prudes who knock modern day films??

 

Stop insulting classic movie fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You city people seem to think that the whole country has become like Bedford Falls if George Bailey had never lived, but it hasn?t.

 

Ok...whatever you say pal....we're stuck 1959.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> ?I must say that some of those pre-code films on TCM

> can get hot and saucy. It makes me wonder if they are

> guilty pleasures for those prudes who knock modern

> day films??

>

> Stop insulting classic movie fans.

You don't like to be insulted anymore than anyone else. Don't insult others peoples taste in movies if you do not want your own insulted.

This whole argument is the same as the one that has been going on in another thread about the anime that has been on this month. These topics get started by people that are bored and want to see how much #%&* they can stir up.

The name of the channel is Turner Classic Movies, not Turner Pre-Technicolor Movies. There are a lot of movies after 1960 that most people would consider classics.

I understand the point of wanting to see all "classic black and white" movies all the time on the channel but TCM is a business and just like any other business, they must change over time to compete. Change always scares some people but its a fact of life.

Just like the radio stations that use to play all Big Band/Easy Listening music, must now throw in a Beatles song from time to time, so must TCM show a movie that was made after 1970. The demographics change.

The "You city people seem to think that the whole country has..." is just another insult hurled when someones argument falls apart. Insults by either "side" do nothing but further divide people. In my opinion arguing on a message board is a little asinine.

To put my opinions in perspective, I'm a 30 yr. old guy that owns both Meet Me in St Louis AND most of the anime that TCM has been showing once a week this month on DVD. Its a big world out there and there are a lot of people that need to expand their horizons beyond their front porch.

 

Bryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the boards, Bryan. This is what flies more often than not these days. You're on the mark about people stirring up #%&*. It's what the Internet was made for, and it's really getting tiresome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fully agree. Arging on the internet makes me tired. And I'm in my mid 20's. That whole-he's younger, what does he know about black and white cinema-is ludacris. I have over 280 DVDs that are in fact B&W films. Film is my passion-that's why I put my passion to work and started making them. I didn't read any disclaimer about having to state your Film Buff ID# when I joined, nor was it my attention to come on here and be slandered for living in the cities I live in.

 

This Bryan Bell fellow seems like a sharp fan of classic films, and I'll tell you something else, I respect his post more than the folks who think films after 1970 are garbage. It's depressing actually. We're all here because we share the same passion-motion pictures. I'm sure everyone at TCM would just love it if the 18-34 crowd quit watching TCM because they kept playing and replaying the same films from the 20's-the 50's: they'd get canceled. And then think of all us younger fans who get inspired-by not only the B&W's-but also the fantastic films from the 70's and the 80's.

 

Couple of folks on here the other day were talking about trash movies-calling movies junk-that's horse manure! No one has the right to tell someone else their interests in films is inferior. Especially if they're playing the films on TCM. Don't call newer films junk, unless you're ok with being called old and outdated.

 

No one wants to fight on here-why should we? Solves nothing. We're all adults right? Yeah, I may be in my 20's but my all-time favorite era of film is the 1940's. This controversial threads are important to debating film. I want to know what the elders have to say, and I respect it. But don't try and corner me into agreeing with all of your opinons; that's not right. If I said something insulting, believe me, it was unintentional. I'm not trying to be rude or derrogatory to anybody.....I just wanna talk movies. Film Noir, Horror, Western, Pre-Code, Action, Adventure, Mystery Suspense, Romance, & Comedy the old way and the new way. What was great then and what is great now, man....MOVIES BABY-MOVIES!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nudity is not necessary, but this elder likes to look. They should be more "Cheese Cake",

in films today. If the studio has an attractive woman, have a pool side scene , have her "**** Prance". Utilized her to the fullest.

**** Prancing= this is when a woman walks around her home with only her panties on.

See Jill Claybourg in AN UNMARRIED WOMAN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right on target, Moviegeek. I agree with you 100%. This crapola from the Prophets of Doom has been going on for months.

Ya oughta see 'The End Is Near' thread, you won't believe it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are people actually stating that films after 1970, for example, are garbage. I skim over most of the more vicious posts of late but I have a hard time with that idea. I'm 35. I grew up with '70s and '80s cinema. I still like them but I don't go out of my way to watch them very often. If people just thought of films as films, no matter the era in which they were made, we'd all be the better off. Like Bogdonovich says in his Essentials promo, paraphrasing, "There's really no such thing as an old film, just films you haven't seen." I think the classic label is nonsense, although 'Turner Classic Movies' does sound impressive. I've got a million movies and have had a million more (I'm probably exaggerating a little) but I got rid of Amos and Andrew (with Cage and Jackson) years ago. Like John Lydon said, parapharsing, "I don't care about who's singing the song, if I like it I like it. A good song is a good song." Apply that to films and so be it. I've got my nifty Harold Lloyd DVD set on the same shelf as Vidocq with Depardieu and The Cook the Thief his Wife and her Lover, a bunch of Bob Hope movies, my Klaus Kinski collection, and so forth. It's all relative and it's all entertaining. I got into a somewhat heated debut soon after I signed on here and have tried to avoid repeating the exercise. I don't think name-calling becomes anyone and, you're right, we should be chatting about films or why I think Ned Sparks was a funny guy or why I don't mind nude scenes with Joely Richardson (which, I reiterate, I don't mind one bit).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us