Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

5,147 posts in this topic

From what I've read no copies of Holiday exist except the one in the Smithsonian. Too bad. Dunno why they let the other prints go lost or be destroyed! :(

It's on YouTube. The print is rather awful, though.

It's on YouTube. The print is rather awful, though.

I see. Must be something off an old VCR tape..........

Tuesday, August 22nd; Glenn Ford day.  All times E.S.T.:

9:00 a.m. "Human Desire" (1954)--Director Fritz Lang's reteaming of Ford and Gloria Grahame after "The Big Heat" (1953).

10:15 p.m. "The Violent Men" (1955)--Western I haven't seen has powerhouse cast (Barbara Stanwyck. Ford, Edward G. Robinson, Brian Keith) directed by Rudolph Mate.

Wednesday, August 23

Greer Garson day

8 p.m.  Madame Curie (1943).  Walter Pidgeon is excellent in this one.  He was my choice for Best Actor of 1943.

Wed..  August 23rd/24th; all times E.S.T.:

9:30 a.m. "The Law and the Lady" (1951)--Greer Garson in a remake of "The Last of Mrs. Cheyney" (1937).

2:30 a.m. "Strange Lady in Town" (1955)--I can't picture Garson in a Western, but am giving this one a watch anyway.

Tuesday, August 22

Glenn Ford day.  Save one of these for June 1st, Canada day next year!  And throw in a Mounty movie if you really have to.

8 p.m.  Experiment In Terror (1962).  Lee Remick is good in this one.

I hope people got to watch or record this one. I'm not much of a Blake Edwards fan, but Experiment in Terror and Days of Wine and Roses, also released in 1962, are very good indeed. Perhaps Lee Remick was his true muse.

Thursday, August 24

Dennis Morgan day.

8 p.m.  The Desert Song (1944).  Arabs and Nazis.  Sounds like a winner.  Nazis get everywhere it seems.

Thursday, August 24

Dennis Morgan day.

8 p.m.  The Desert Song (1944).  Arabs and Nazis.  Sounds like a winner.  Nazis get everywhere it seems.

Canadians get TO THE VICTOR (1948) in place of THE DESERT SONG. TO THE VICTOR is a real rarity on TCM in the States -- it hasn't aired there since January 2003.

Thursday, August 24th/25th; three shorts, two movies.  All times E.S.T.:

2:19 p.m. "Groovie Movie" (1944)--How to Jitterbug.

9:40 p.m. "The Red Shadow" (1932)--Info from imdb; Shortened version of "The Desert Song" featuring four songs: "The Desert Song", "The Riff Song", "One Alone", and "One Flower".

10:00 p.m. "The Hard Way" (1943)--Good film with Morgan, Ida Lupino, and Joan Leslie.

Midnight.  "My Wild Irish Rose" (1947)--A musical I haven't seen.

3:38 a.m. "Eyes of the Navy" (1940)--How Navy aviators were trained before WW II.

Thursday, August 24th/25th; three shorts, two movies.  All times E.S.T.:

10:00 p.m. "The Hard Way" (1943)--Good film with Morgan, Ida Lupino, and Joan Leslie.

3:38 a.m. "Eyes of the Navy" (1940)--How Navy aviators were trained before WW II.

While I typically don't record anything for SUTS, this one offered several long awaited titles:

I've been waiting for THE HARD WAY for a couple of years, to round out my Jack Carson collection. Just like THE AFFAIRS OF BEL AMI, which I've been waiting for for even longer, like 5-6 years.

Uh oh, I hope EYES OF THE NAVY isn't an alternative title for WINGED VICTORY, a movie I fell asleep in the first 20 minutes at CineFest. (it was midnight, I was bleary eyed watching movies since 9am!) I've been waiting to see the rest of that one for at least 10 years!

Now this is a coincidence,

we had some lightning this morning and i could not help but think about an anecdote told by James Mason's son Morgan about lightning striking a tree near their home one day and his father remarking "well struck, God!"

(with the accent and the voice, I'm sure it was EPIC)

Anyhoo, tomorrow at 1:30 pm (est)- THE DEADLY AFFAIR (1967)- starring Mason and SUTS FEATUREE SIMONE SIGNORET- who some of you may not be familiar with, but whom I like a lot from what little i've seen her in. She's like a less needy and infinitely more likeable French version of Shelley Winters.

I've never seen it, but I was trying to track it down not long ago. According to his book ALTERNATE OSCARS, author Danny Peary lists Mason as a choice for a BEST ACTOR NOMINATION for the year- which was a really good one for film.

it was also directed by SIDNEY LUMET.

eta:

Friday, August 25

Simone Signoret day.

1:30 p.m.  The Deadly Affair (1967).  Decent John le Carre spy thriller with James Mason as essentially the Smiley character.

SIMONE SIGNORET- who some of you may not be familiar with, but whom I like a lot from what little i've seen her in. She's like a less needy and infinitely more likeable French version of Shelley Winters.

Ahh..this made me laugh. :lol:

Thanks for the heads-up on this one. I'll add it to my recording list.

I'm recording Term of Trial (1962) 6:00 PM EST, for co-star Laurence Olivier. It also features the film debuts of Sarah Miles and...

<---- this guy.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Room at the Top (1959) featuring Signoret's Oscar-winning lead performance, co-starring Laurence Harvey, is on at 8:00 PM EST, and is worth seeing.

Police Python .357 (1975) 3:15 AM EST is a great title. Don't know about the movie, though.

Yes, am looking forward to Simone day. Luckily most of the films I want to watch or rewatch are after work. Will have to record Deadly Affair. I've never seen that one for some reason. The only other SUTS day I'm interested in left is Marion Davies day..........

Haha, well I'm excited to see Casque d'Or '52 and Against The Wind '48, two Simone Signoret movies set to record. Too bad I won't be able to view any SUTS recordings until September!

Yeah, finding time to watch them is the problem. I need to tonight to free up some space, then more this wknd to free up MORE space!

Friday, August 25th/26th--Two films, one documentary.  All times E.S.T.:

10:00 a.m. "Against The Wind" (1948)--Spies are trained in Occupied Belgium during WW II.  I second TikiSoo's recommendation.

10:15 p.m. "Diabolique" (1955)--Classic scare film from director Henri-Georges Clouzot.  The film's outstanding.  Highest recommendation.

5:27 a.m. "The River" (1938)--One of two classic documentaries director Pare Lorentz made.  This one's about flooding along the Mississippi River and the Tennessee Valley Authority.  The score is also supposed to be a classic.  Go to the films' TCM webpage for a good article on the film. 

tomorrow, this is a good one too, if you haven't seen before....:)

12:30 AM (ET)
C - 139 m

drama

Synopsis: A Czech government official charged with treason is subjected to brutal interrogation methods.
DirCosta-Gavras CastYves Montand , Simone Signoret , Gabriele Ferzetti .

See: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/71385/Confession-The/articles.html

10:15 p.m. "Diabolique" (1955)--Classic scare film from director Henri-Georges Clouzot.  The film's outstanding.  Highest recommendation.

I guessed this movie's ending in the first 15 minutes -very unlike me- I'm gullible & get sucked into stories easily.

MrTiki delights in being a movie "resolver" which I find a real drag.

TikiSoo--If you enjoyed "Diabolique", you might want to search out Curtis Harrington's "Games" (1967); film stars Simone Signoret, a young James Caan, and Katharine Ross.  Movie is very Hitchcock influenced.  It was on archive.org, but has been removed.  Maybe your library would have it?

TikiSoo--If you enjoyed "Diabolique", 

Guess you misunderstood me....I didn't like Diabolique. I hate knowing the ending of a story, especially a mystery and this was easily guess-able. And I emphasize- I'm not particularly clever!

(and I am no Hitchcock fan)

I'm glad I saw the film when I was young, and I didnt have a clue. The ending floored me. I'd probably guess it now, but it would be a fun ride anyway. And I still enjoy watching it even though I know how it ends.