Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

5,147 posts in this topic

Then again, in fairness, some might prefer seeing Tony Quinn in a slip.

Count me out. LOL.

Have you considered renaming this the "Tomorrow: Don't Watch" thread?  This way, we can be warned to avoid any stinkers coming up.

I'da missed a lot of very entertaining stuff if I didn't watch what other people call "stinkers".

Tell me something's really good - and I might watch it. Tell me something's really bad - and I'll PROBABLY watch it (as long as it was made after 1963).

All these "Hot Spell" references here lately have me dying to see this. Well, TCM when is this going to be scheduled?

Yeah! I so want to see that movie. I think I saw it, or some of it, back around 1962, but not since - and don't really remember anything about it.

'Dr. Coppelius' at 6:15 tomorrow sounds very strange.

I know TCM has run it before, but I've yet to watch it. Anybody here seen this before?

Thanks for the heads up, I've never seen the film.

The story is part of Offenbach's opera Tales of Hoffmann. Here's the famous "Doll Song," one of the glories of grand opera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggxzjfK7x64

One Way Passage is on overnight at 4:45am EDT 3:45am CDT if you want to DVR it. It is a bittersweet love story starring Kay Francis and William Powell. I love that movie.

I adore that movie. I like Boyer's version but I LOVE Powell's version. Too bad I will never get a DVR, subscribing to the school of bite off my nose to spite my cable company's face.

You may be thinking of Love Affair, the movie Boyer made with Irene Dune.  The remake of One Way Passage is 'Till We Meet Again, with George Brent and Merle Oberon.  Both are pretty good.

You may be thinking of Love Affair, the movie Boyer made with Irene Dune.  The remake of One Way Passage is 'Till We Meet Again, with George Brent and Merle Oberon.  Both are pretty good.

One Way Passage is one of my favorites, from the great opening -- that incredible tracking shot at the bar in Hong Kong -- to the broken glass at the end of the movie in a bar in Mexico on New Year's Eve. The movie encouraged me to make Paradise Cocktails. A nice dividend in the film: great, engaging supporting role played to perfection by Aline MacMahon.

One Way Passage is one of my favorites, from the great opening -- that incredible tracking shot at the bar in Hong Kong -- to the broken glass at the end of the movie in a bar in Mexico on New Year's Eve. The movie encouraged me to make Paradise Cocktails. A nice dividend in the film: great, engaging supporting role played to perfection by Aline MacMahon.

Both movies have fine opening shots, but I think I prefer One Way Passages, with the comic bit by the singers.

Hmm, Thursday, May 14th ....

Five Million Years to Earth (1967) aka Quartermass and the Pit was quite cool and scared the dickens out of me when I first saw it.

I caught Village of the Damned (1960) a few years back and didn't like it very much which was disappointing as I recall liking it as a kid.  Maybe that's because it was about kids and I was a kid.  That Star Trek episode with Michael J. Pollard as the leader of the feral kids stood out to me at the time too. 

First Men in the Moon (1964)

One of my favourites as a kid.  Got a copy.

I've seen all of the films in the evening and have copies of most of them too.

In Old Chicago (1938) is a Twentieth Century Fox film so it is worth recording as you never know when this one will be on next.

I saw Earthquake (1974) in the cinema in Sensurround no less.  The shaking chairs and the movie were a disappointment.  Not cheesy enough for me.

I saw Earthquake (1974) in the cinema in Sensurround no less.  The shaking chairs and the movie were a disappointment.  Not cheesy enough for me.

Yes, you have to go to The Towering Inferno for that.

Yep Bogie, I also saw Heston save the day again in that one at the Grauman's Chinese upon its initial escape...errr...release.

Looks as it Dwayne "The Rock' Johnson is all set to pry that mantle from Chuck's cold dead hands in a couple of weeks when "San Andreas" hits the big screens.

(...why are they always tryin' to destroy my old home town?...if it isn't those freakin' Martians who thank god were too stupid to understand the concept of deadly micro-organisms, then it's those damn giant ants...know what I MEAN???!!!)

late Wed., early Thurs AM

5:45 am ET
B/W
93 min
TV-G
horror

Scientists and engineers join forces to build a tunnel beneath the Atlantic Ocean.

DirMaurice Elvey CastRichard Dix , Leslie Banks , Madge Evans .

"An imaginative futuristic tale in the Jules Verne tradition, the British film Transatlantic Tunnel [1935] (aka The Tunnel during its British release) is set in the then not-too-distant future as a determined engineer risks everything to build an undersea tunnel from England to the United States. In addition to gripping scenes of the construction itself (brought to life by some striking special effects), the film concerns the engineer's domestic difficulties: a jealous, neglected wife; a best friend willing to offer her a sympathetic ear; a doomed son; and a financier's romantically inclined daughter. But the real attraction of the picture lies outside the turgid melodrama and posits a number of future technological advancements not far off from what has actually come to pass."

Maltin didn't care for it, but I liked it alot.  :)

Well, I'm recording 3 days in a row:

5/27 8pm THE STAR with Bette Davis 

5/28 ROMANCE IN MANHATTAN with Ginger Rogers

5/29 7:30am MISS PACIFIC FLEET with Joan Blondell

3 movies I've never seen. You can always count on Bette Davis to be a hoot.

And then 5/31 NOTHING LASTS FOREVER....a movie recommended by some on this board. Hope I like it too.

(i'm still watching April's picks)

5/28 ROMANCE IN MANHATTAN with Ginger Rogers
5/29 7:30am MISS PACIFIC FLEET with Joan Blondell

3 movies I've never seen. You can always count on Bette Davis to be a hoot.

And then 5/31 NOTHING LASTS FOREVER....a movie recommended by some on this board. Hope I like it too.
(i'm still watching April's picks)

The Star is a hoot but not on purpose. But Bette doesn't let you down. I liked it very much. It's probably one of my favorite later career films of hers. I haven't seen the other two.

Yep Bogie, I also saw Heston save the day again in that one at the Grauman's Chinese upon its initial escape...errr...release.

Looks as it Dwayne "The Rock' Johnson is all set to pry that mantle from Chuck's cold dead hands in a couple of weeks when "San Andreas" hits the big screens.

(...why are they always tryin' to destroy my old home town?...if it isn't those freakin' Martians who thank god were too stupid to understand the concept of deadly micro-organisms, then it's those damn giant ants...know what I MEAN???!!!)

They could probably build an entire day's worth of films around destroying California one way or another.

Yes, I'm hoping to finally see THE STAR in its entirety.

I have seen the part where the Bette Davis character (a mature actress) performs her screen test like an ingénue.

Thurs., 5-14                                   Daytime: British Sci-Fi

WOO-HOO, better get my 'stuff' done today!! ;)

5:45 AM Tunnel, The (1935)  

Scientists and engineers join forces to build a tunnel beneath the Atlantic Ocean.

BW-93 mins,

14 Thursday 7:30 AM Five Million Years To Earth (1968)  

Subway excavations unearth a deadly force from beyond space and time.

DirRoy Ward Baker CastJames Donald , Andrew Keir , Barbara Shelley .

C-98 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

9:15 AM Village Of The Damned (1961)  

After a mysterious blackout, the inhabitants of a British village give birth to emotionless, super-powered offspring.

DirWolf Rilla CastGeorge Sanders , Barbara Shelley , Martin Stephens .

BW-77 mins, CC,

10:45 AM Cosmic Monsters, The (1958)  

A scientist's experiments open the doorway to a strange and deadly world.

DirGilbert Gunn CastForrest Tucker , Gaby Andre , Martin Benson .

BW-72 mins,

12:00 PM Giant Behemoth, The (1959)  

A radioactive dinosaur plots a deadly path to London.

DirEugene Lourie CastGene Evans , Andre Morell , John Turner .

BW-80 mins, Letterbox Format

1:30 PM First Men in the Moon (1964)  

A scientist's experimental space craft puts him in the path of an intergalactic invasion.

DirNathan Juran CastEdward Judd , Lionel Jeffries , Martha Hyer .

C-103 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

3:15 PM These Are the Damned (1962)  

Children bred to survive a nuclear holocaust escape from a top-secret military facility.

DirJoseph Losey CastMacDonald Carey , Shirley Field , Viveca Lindfors .

BW-95 mins,

5:00 PM X The Unknown (1956)  

A radioactive ooze terrorizes a remote Scottish village.

DirLeslie Norman CastDean Jagger , Edward Chapman , Leo McKern .

BW-80 mins, CC,

6:30 PM Satellite in the Sky (1956)  

Astronauts are trapped on a space station with a ticking bomb.

DirPaul Dickson CastKieron Moore , Lois Maxwell , Donald Wolfit .

C-84 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

Dargo,

In the absence of 70mm Sensurround perhaps the best way to watch Earthquake tomorrow night would be to check into a motel with cable and put a quarter into the vibrating bed machine every time there is a quake or aftershock.

Thurs., 5-14                                   Daytime: British Sci-Fi

WOO-HOO, better get my 'stuff' done today!! ;)

5:45 AM Tunnel, The (1935)  

BW-93 mins,

14 Thursday 7:30 AM Five Million Years To Earth (1968)  

Subway excavations unearth a deadly force from beyond space and time.

DirRoy Ward Baker CastJames Donald , Andrew Keir , Barbara Shelley .

C-98 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

9:15 AM Village Of The Damned (1961)  

After a mysterious blackout, the inhabitants of a British village give birth to emotionless, super-powered offspring.

DirWolf Rilla CastGeorge Sanders , Barbara Shelley , Martin Stephens .

BW-77 mins, CC,

10:45 AM Cosmic Monsters, The (1958)  

A scientist's experiments open the doorway to a strange and deadly world.

DirGilbert Gunn CastForrest Tucker , Gaby Andre , Martin Benson .

BW-72 mins,

12:00 PM Giant Behemoth, The (1959)  

A radioactive dinosaur plots a deadly path to London.

DirEugene Lourie CastGene Evans , Andre Morell , John Turner .

BW-80 mins, Letterbox Format

1:30 PM First Men in the Moon (1964)  

A scientist's experimental space craft puts him in the path of an intergalactic invasion.

DirNathan Juran CastEdward Judd , Lionel Jeffries , Martha Hyer .

C-103 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

3:15 PM These Are the Damned (1962)  

Children bred to survive a nuclear holocaust escape from a top-secret military facility.

DirJoseph Losey CastMacDonald Carey , Shirley Field , Viveca Lindfors .

BW-95 mins,

5:00 PM X The Unknown (1956)  

A radioactive ooze terrorizes a remote Scottish village.

DirLeslie Norman CastDean Jagger , Edward Chapman , Leo McKern .

BW-80 mins, CC,

6:30 PM Satellite in the Sky (1956)  

Astronauts are trapped on a space station with a ticking bomb.

DirPaul Dickson CastKieron Moore , Lois Maxwell , Donald Wolfit .

C-84 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

What a day! Five Million Years to Earth (aka Quatermass and the Pit) is one of the most intelligent films of its type that I know of -- a splendid combination of science fiction and horror, with some brilliant scenes.

In Old Chicago was originally cancelled when it was scheduled to come on TCM because they chose to have a tribute to Liz Taylor that day.

I'm not certain whether tomorrow's broadcast will be a TCM premiere or not, but this lavish Fox production was originally to have starred Jean Harlow. Her unexpected death lead to this being the first of three films in which Alice Faye would be co-starred with Tyrone Power. I can't say I'm much of a fan of either the story line or characterizations (a rather callow young Power really pales as a rake, compared to Gable in San Francisco) but the special effects of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 makes the film worth a view if only for its special effects climax. Alice Brady won an Oscar playing the Mrs. O'Leary of legend, whose cow supposedly started the fire.

Fox seemed to have a thing about starring Power in films with big special effects disasters. Soon after this film he would appear in Suez (featuring an impressively staged sandstorm the Fox publicists promoted as a "simoon"). After that they really piled it on for the wonderful special effects in the all star The Rains Came. This film would not only have an earthquake but a massive flood, as well.

In Old Chicago was originally cancelled when it was scheduled to come on TCM because they chose to have a tribute to Liz Taylor that day.

I'm not certain whether tomorrow's broadcast will be a TCM premiere or not, but this lavish Fox production was originally to have starred Jean Harlow. Her unexpected death lead to this being the first of three films in which Alice Faye would be co-starred with Tyrone Power. I can't say I'm much of a fan of either the story line or characterizations (a rather callow young Power really pales as a rake, compared to Gable in San Francisco) but the special effects of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 makes the film worth a view if only for its special effects climax. Alice Brady won an Oscar playing the Mrs. O'Leary of legend, whose cow supposedly started the fire.

Fox seemed to have a thing about starring Power in films with big special effects disasters. Soon after this film he would appear in Suez (featuring an impressively staged sandstorm the Fox publicists promoted as a "simoon"). After that they really piled it on for the wonderful special effects in the all star The Rains Came. This film would not only have an earthquake but a massive flood, as well.

There's a new "Earthquake" film coming out called SAN ANDREAS.

Jean Harlow was to have been loaned to Fox along with Clark Gable; her death scuttled the deal. This ended up being a good thing, because the other part of the deal was to have been loaning Shirley Temple to MGM to do THE WIZARD OF OZ.

I forgot to mention that if anyone wishes to have an argument with the OP feel free to contact me directly and I will give you my PAYPAL address.

It is 10 quid for the first three responses and five quid for each additional two responses after that.