Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

5,147 posts in this topic

'Dr. Coppelius' at 6:15 tomorrow sounds very strange.

I know TCM has run it before, but I've yet to watch it. Anybody here seen this before?

It just started. Based on the music, it seems to be closer to the ballet Coppelia than the opera.

I forgot to mention that if anyone wishes to have an argument with the OP feel free to contact me directly and I will give you my PAYPAL address.

It is 10 quid for the first three responses and five quid for each additional two responses after that.

LOL

Friday, May 15 we have:

Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy Theory

Gunsmoke Episode 38 repeated twice.

Oh, wait a minute.  I'm looking at the UK TCM schedule.

See how lucky y'all are in North America.

Hmmm .... But they do have Hot Spell on at 11 am,  4 pm and 10 pm.

A look at the NA schedule a little later.  Feel free to kick it off anyone with your own Hits and Misses.

I see that there's a TCM premiere tomorrow at 12:30pm EST - North By Northwest, some film by Alfred Hitchcock. Never heard of it.

Oh, wait. Could be wrong. (Sorry, folks, I gotta start taking my meds again).

Well, it's still a terrific movie anyway, made when Hitch was still making beautifully crafted and cast "light entertainments" (before things got darker the following year with Psycho).

I see that there's a TCM premiere tomorrow at 12:30pm EST - North By Northwest, some film by Alfred Hitchcock. Never heard of it.

Oh, wait. Could be wrong. (Sorry, folks, I gotta start taking my meds again).

Well, it's still a terrific movie anyway, made when Hitch was still making beautifully crafted and cast "light entertainments" (before things got darker the following year with Psycho).

Yeah, I noticed NBNW is on again. And people are complaining about Roman Holiday? Sheesh.

Fri., 5-15

8:00 pm ET
B/W
116 min
TV-PG
comedy

An aging knight uses his wits to survive in war and peace.

DirOrson Welles CastOrson Welles , Jeanne Moreau , Margaret Rutherford .

"Welles had previously produced a Broadway stage adaptation of nine Shakespeare plays called Five Kings in 1939. In 1960, he revived this project in Ireland as Chimes at Midnight, which was his final on-stage performance. Neither of these plays were successful, but Welles considered portraying Falstaff to be his life's ambition and turned the project into a film. Throughout its production, Welles struggled to find financing and at one point, to get money, he lied to producer Emiliano Piedra about intending to make a version of Treasure Island. Welles shot Chimes at Midnight throughout Spain between 1964 and 1965, and premiered it at the 1966 Cannes Film Festival, where it won two awards.

Initially dismissed by most film critics, Chimes at Midnight is now regarded as one of Welles' greatest achievements, and Welles himself called it his best work. Welles felt a strong connection to the character of Falstaff and called him "Shakespeare's greatest creation". Some film scholars and Welles's collaborators have made comparisons between Falstaff and Welles, while others see a resemblance between Falstaff and Welles's father."

Fri., 5-15

8:00 pm ET
B/W
116 min
TV-PG
comedy

An aging knight uses his wits to survive in war and peace.

DirOrson Welles CastOrson Welles , Jeanne Moreau , Margaret Rutherford .

"Welles had previously produced a Broadway stage adaptation of nine Shakespeare plays called Five Kings in 1939. In 1960, he revived this project in Ireland as Chimes at Midnight, which was his final on-stage performance. Neither of these plays were successful, but Welles considered portraying Falstaff to be his life's ambition and turned the project into a film. Throughout its production, Welles struggled to find financing and at one point, to get money, he lied to producer Emiliano Piedra about intending to make a version of Treasure Island. Welles shot Chimes at Midnight throughout Spain between 1964 and 1965, and premiered it at the 1966 Cannes Film Festival, where it won two awards.

Initially dismissed by most film critics, Chimes at Midnight is now regarded as one of Welles' greatest achievements, and Welles himself called it his best work. Welles felt a strong connection to the character of Falstaff and called him "Shakespeare's greatest creation". Some film scholars and Welles's collaborators have made comparisons between Falstaff and Welles, while others see a resemblance between Falstaff and Welles's father."

I've been wanting to see this movie for a long time now. 

Thank you, TCM, for showing this.

I hope the print shown doesn't have any sound sync issues.

Friday, May 15 - James Mason followed by a Welles fest.  Wow!  Glad I have all of these on dvd as I am still in England at the moment and would be kicking myself to miss them otherwise.

It would have been nice to see some other Mason films for a change though.  Like 5 Fingers.

Of note, is that MacBeth is replaced by Citizen Kane in Canada.  It will be interesting to see which soundtracks turn up on these TCM copies.  With regards, MacBeth it could be the 'Americanized' vocals or the print with the Scottish brogue.  

And incredibly, the actors were syncing to playback ala, Mili Vanilli.  Just think how hard that must of been.

I grew up with the 'Americanized' or studio version and have only caught up with the other version in the last 5 years or so.

For years I had only seen the out-of-sync, Chimes at Midnight.  Both in the cinema and on television.  Its first reel (approximately 20 minutes) has uncut ADR.  ADR, or the studio replacement dialogue is usually cut after the actor reperforms it to pull it into sync this way and that.  This was not done with Chimes.  It wasn't a matter of the entire reel being out of sync by one global offset because one line would be late and the next line would be early and so on.

It is perhaps a testament to Gielgud's great technical skill as an actor that his uncut ADR was almost bang in sync throughout those great long speeches.

The last dvd copy that I happened to see of Chimes, late last year had all the syncing problems corrected.  So fingers crossed.  I heard somewhere that there may be yet another rerelease of this later this year.  Perhaps someone can enlighten us on the state of the various Welles restorations.

I thought the battle scene with the hand held cameras was astounding.  Especially the cutting.  It just showed what Welles could do with so little money.  

And my favourite, Welles Shakespeare is playing too.  The Tragedy of Othello.  It has been restored a number of times now and according to Wellesnet they are finally getting it right.  Which version will TCM by airing, I wonder?

Apparently the long awaited release of Welles' The Other Side of the Wind has been delayed.

Are you referring to Reckless Moment? (James Mason) It's on at 6am tomw (terrible time slot) I've seen it several times, but I'll be recording it again. Something about that film really gets to me........

I'm hoping that The Last of Sheila does get broadcast tomorrow in Canada. Any time it was scheduled before it was replaced by another film on TCM. According to the Canadian schedule, though, it will be coming on - this may be a TCM Canadian premiere.

Are you referring to Reckless Moment? (James Mason) It's on at 6am tomw (terrible time slot) I've seen it several times, but I'll be recording it again. Something about that film really gets to me........

Do you mean when I suggested that I would have liked to see 5 Fingers?

I'm a fan of Reckless Moment as well.  

All of the films TCM has chosen for Mason are very good ones and possibly his 'essentials' but I believe a lot of them have been on the schedule quite recently.  It might have been nice to have one or two Mason films that are not shown that often.  Like 5 Fingers, A Touch of Larceny, The Deadly Affair.

But hey, at least it is not Gunsmoke reruns.

I agree, Hibi.

The ending (with Joan Bennett on the phone talking to husband) really gets me.

I also liked THE DEEP END which was adapted from the same source.

I agree, Hibi.

The ending (with Joan Bennett on the phone talking to husband) really gets me.

I also liked THE DEEP END which was adapted from the same source.

Yes, I've seen both. Like both. I guess what draws me in is the ordered, safe world of the protaganists being shattered by outside forces invading their way of life and the chaos that results. Hitchcock did that so well in his "wrong man" movies........

I'm hoping that The Last of Sheila does get broadcast tomorrow in Canada. Any time it was scheduled before it was replaced by another film on TCM. According to the Canadian schedule, though, it will be coming on - this may be a TCM Canadian premiere.

That's another one I'm recording. I had it on my last dvr before it crashed, and all the movies on it with it. :(

I'm hoping that The Last of Sheila does get broadcast tomorrow in Canada.

Just remembered - better remind TheGayDivorcee. She posted about wanting TCM to show that one. 

morlock blog on THE LAST OF SHEILA:

http://moviemorlocks.com/2015/05/11/a-forgotten-film-to-remember-the-last-of-sheila/#more-83833

Yes, I've seen both. Like both. I guess what draws me in is the ordered, safe world of the protaganists being shattered by outside forces invading their way of life and the chaos that results. Hitchcock did that so well in his "wrong man" movies........

The way the James Mason character in THE RECKLESS MOMENT comes to genuinely care for the Joan Benett character is very touching.

When she's on the phone to her husband at the end, she puts up a good front, but you get the inpression that she will remember James Mason and his sacrifice for the rest of her life.

(Sigh) I'm just recalling the poster I had of Raquel in my room in junior high.

Just remembered - better remind TheGayDivorcee. She posted about wanting TCM to show that one. 

Thanks very much for the reminder, darkblue.  I'm so happy to see TCM showing it.

I certainly hope it's shown in Canada!

Thanks very much for posting that link, mnr6666.

I'll read it after seeing the film, though. I'm always a little concerned (paranoid?) about story elements being revealed in an article when it's about a mystery thriller like The Last of Sheila. Any film that has an all-star cast that includes such contrasting actors as Raquel Welch and James Mason I've got to see.

The way the James Mason character in THE RECKLESS MOMENT comes to genuinely care for the Joan Benett character is very touching.

When she's on the phone to her husbabd at the end, she puts up a good front, but you get the inpression that she will remember James Mason and his sacrifice for the rest of her life.

Oh, for sure. And its a secret she will carry for the rest of her life...............

I notice that they are filling the gaps in the Mason schedule with some short subjects.

Too bad they don't have Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart which he brilliantly narrated.

I believe that it is on youtube if anyone is interested.

Oh, for sure. And its a secret she will carry for the rest of her life...............

I haven't seen THE DEEP END in awhile so I don't know remember if Tilda Swinton's reaction in that movie is as powerful as Joan Bennett's in THE RECKLESS MOMENT.

I like both movies very much though.