7,885 posts in this topic

glad they're re-airing Nothing Lasts Forever on Underground :D

(rain messed up my recording last time)

Sat., 5-30

2:00 am ET
Color

82 min

comedy

A displaced artist falls in with a group of social outcasts who actually rule the world.

DirTom Schiller CastZach Galligan , Apollonia van Ravenstein , Lauren Tom .

Nothing-Lasts-Forever.jpg

TCM Underground tweeted this on 5-28.....

"Due to a rights issue we very unfortunately have to pull NOTHING LASTS FOREVER scheduled for this week. Hope to get it back on the air soon."

But it's still on the online schedule, so don't know WHAT IS GOING ON????

:blink:

- Okay, my DirectTV is now showing "Brainstorm" ('83) is airing in that timeslot

PHOOEY!! :angry:

Edited by mr6666

"Due to a rights issue we very unfortunately have to pull NOTHING LASTS FOREVER scheduled for this week. Hope to get it back on the air soon."

- Okay, my DirectTV is now showing "Brainstorm" ('83) is airing in that timeslot

What a shame!  I remember seeing it last summer ? or in the last year or so.  I sure hope they get the rights issues worked out.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up. Roland Young was very good in that movie. Very English, very quirky.

And Powell at noon? Even though they stuck a kid in and got them on the wagon, it will still be good to see Nick and Nora.

Wow, that Bill Murray movie sounds bizarro. Too bad it isn't on at a decent hour. Imogene Coca, Eddie Fisher, Mort Sahl, Sam Jaffe and Lawrence Tierney? Holy mackerel, imagine being on THAT set!!!!!!!!  :o

Nice morality play, The Man Who Could Work Miracles.

Nice to see Miss Marple when young.

All the same, our George should have put five mil in a Swiss bank account before he wished his power away. ;)

BRAINSTORM is also scheduled to air on June 25.

Would it be against some code book if I mentioned that Arsenal won the FA cup 4-nil this afternoon?

Now, I can go back to movies.

Would it be against some code book if I mentioned that Arsenal won the FA cup 4-nil this afternoon?

Now, I can go back to movies.

My boss will be thrilled. I lived in Fulham, though, not too far from Stamford Bridge. I rarely pay attention unless Chelsea are playing.

Tomorrow, try to watch or record:  Mystery Street, airing on TCM at 6:15 p.m. Even in Canada!

This is truly an unusual movie. For one thing, although it's a "police procedural" type crime drama (I say it's a noir), the forensic research involved in solving the murder mystery is quite bizarre. I don't want to say more for fear of  "spoilers", but let's just say you'll see skulls and slide-shows in a combination you've never seen before.

Also: there's an early anti-racism subtext. Ricardo Montalban is the detective trying to solve the mystery, and as a Mexican-American he experiences a subtle snub from one of his suspects. But he doesn't take it, he answers the guy right  back, cool as a cucumber.

Also: Ya gotta love Jan Sterling in this, even though her role is limited. Good actress, lots of presence. Good at playing tarts.

Oh, there's also a hilarious Elsa Lanchester as the conniving landlady. And a great noirish chase scene on the train tracks.

Great little noir.

• Like 4

Sunday, May 31

Dang.  the 6 a.m. screening of Butterfield 8 is not available in Canada.  Neither is the 8 a.m. screening of Brigadoon but that is vomit worthy anyway.

They have been replaced by The Angel Wore Red (1960) and Balalaika (1939).  Time to catch up on some sleep!

My recorder will be ready for the Mikio Naruse double feature that starts at 2:45 a.m.  Ginza Cosmetics (1951) and Wife (1953).

post-35686-0-45618100-1432992766_thumb.png

post-35686-0-45618100-1432992766_thumb.png

I second MissWonderly's pick of Mystery Street.  That was a very good film noir and an interesting early Ricardo Montalban role.  I really only know him as KHAAAAAAN! and Mr. Roarke.  I also liked Jan Sterling.  I had never heard of her and then by coincidence watched Ace in the Hole and Mystery Street within days of each other.  She was excellent in both films. 

My other picks for tomorrow are The Bad Seed, a fun horror movie that takes the cliche horror movie character, the creepy child, and actually makes them the villain. 

I also really like Top Hat with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.  Watch out for an early Lucille Ball role.  She has a bit part as a flower shop clerk. 

My MISS for tomorrow is definitely Brigadoon.  As much as I love Gene Kelly, I cannot recommend this film.  While it is a beautiful film (Technicolor wise) it is BORING.  The most memorable thing about it are Van Johnson's red plaid pants. 

Tonight in the overnight hours TCM is airing BRAINSTORM, Natalie Wood's final film.

She died before completing work on the movie.

I'm a big Natalie Wood fan but I've avoided seeking out this movie but I have decided to DVR it.

Tonight in the overnight hours TCM is airing BRAINSTORM, Natalie Wood's final film.

She died before completing work on the movie.

I'm a big Natalie Wood fan but I've avoided seeking out this movie but I have decided to DVR it.

I'm also a big fan of Natalie Wood and have avoided trying to watch this film.  Her death was such a tragedy, an avoidable one no less.  If she were still alive, she'd be 75 and could still be working.  Just think how many great films she could have made.  While she was a great child actress, my favorite part of her career is her peak in the 1960s when she was an adult and taking on more adult roles.  She was such a good actress and so pretty, it's a shame that she died the way she did.

• Like 1

Holy crap. For the first time I can ever recall up here in Canada, the TCM feed was window-boxed during the showing of a movie.

'Brainstorm' was shown with huge black margins on all 4 sides - the picture shrunk to half the size of my widescreen television. I mean, it was tiny, baby.

I can't think that anyone in the world would prefer to watch a movie that way. I know I never would.

Thankfully, it reverted back to a widescreen feed immediately after - with 'The Ice Pirates'.

I'm also a big fan of Natalie Wood and have avoided trying to watch this film.  Her death was such a tragedy, an avoidable one no less.  If she were still alive, she'd be 75 and could still be working.  Just think how many great films she could have made.  While she was a great child actress, my favorite part of her career is her peak in the 1960s when she was an adult and taking on more adult roles.  She was such a good actress and so pretty, it's a shame that she died the way she did.

Yes, Natalie Wood was never taken seriously as an actor because of her beauty.

I wish she would had been allowed to use her own singing voice in WEST SIDE STORY.

Although she did not have the trained voice of Marni Mixon (who ultimately dubbed Natalie's singing)  Natalie's voice was more than adequate and actually sounds more appropriate for the character.

If the movie were made today. Natalie Wood most likely would not have been dubbed.

The really sad part is that Natalie was told during the production that her own singing voice would be used in the movie when all along it was planned to dub her.

Monday, June 1

I've got a few I'd like to record tomorrow:

7:45 a.m.  Success at Any Price (1934) with Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.

9:15 a.m.  By Your Leave (1935) with Frank Morgan

10:45 a.m.  The Perfect Gentleman (1935) again with Frank Morgan

and

Saratoga at 3:15 pm with Clark Gable and Jean Harlow.

post-35686-0-42197800-1433096461_thumb.png

post-35686-0-42197800-1433096461_thumb.png

Yes, Natalie Wood was never taken seriously as an actor because of her beauty.

I wish she would had been allowed to use her own singing voice in WEST SIDE STORY.

Although she did not have the trained voice of Marni Mixon (who ultimately dubbed Natalie's singing)  Natalie's voice was more than adequate and actually sounds more appropriate for the character.

If the movie were made today. Natalie Wood most likely would not have been dubbed.

The really sad part is that Natalie was told during the production that her own singing voice would be used in the movie when all along it was planned to dub her.

I think the producers of My Fair Lady pulled the old voice switcheroo on Audrey Hepburn as well.  While I watch MFL on occasion, I always find the difference between Hepburn's speaking voice and the singing voice that "comes out of her mouth" to be very jarring.  Hepburn has a very unique voice and I imagine it'd be difficult to find a realistic voice to use in place of Hepburn's. 

Nixon's voice for Natalie Wood was not as jarring as it was when she dubbed Hepburn in MFL, but I agree that Wood's natural voice would have been better.  Does she sing in Inside Daisy Clover or was she dubbed there too?

Monday, June 1

I've got a few I'd like to record tomorrow:

7:45 a.m.  Success at Any Price (1934) with Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.

9:15 a.m.  By Your Leave (1935) with Frank Morgan

10:45 a.m.  The Perfect Gentleman (1935) again with Frank Morgan

and

Saratoga at 3:15 pm with Clark Gable and Jean Harlow.

I'm recording Saratoga tomorrow too. If only out of the curiosity because it was Harlow's last film.  I believe she died during the end of production. 

speedracer5--Harlow died about 2/3rds through the film.  MGM had enough footage of her to finish, but her character was written out of some scenes that were unfilmed, and Harlows' body double, Mary Dees, stands with the back of her head to the camera in the scenes she couldn't be written out of.  Radio actress Paula Winslowe was her voice double.

Source is Bombshell:A Life of Jean Harlow by David Stenn.

Tomorrow, try to watch or record:  Mystery Street, airing on TCM at 6:15 p.m. Even in Canada!

This is truly an unusual movie. For one thing, although it's a "police procedural" type crime drama (I say it's a noir), the forensic research involved in solving the murder mystery is quite bizarre. I don't want to say more for fear of  "spoilers", but let's just say you'll see skulls and slide-shows in a combination you've never seen before.

Also: there's an early anti-racism subtext. Ricardo Montalban is the detective trying to solve the mystery, and as a Mexican-American he experiences a subtle snub from one of his suspects. But he doesn't take it, he answers the guy right  back, cool as a cucumber.

Also: Ya gotta love Jan Sterling in this, even though her role is limited. Good actress, lots of presence. Good at playing tarts.

Oh, there's also a hilarious Elsa Lanchester as the conniving landlady. And a great noirish chase scene on the train tracks.

Great little noir.

watching now. Great pick. Thanks for heads-up, wonderly :D

Negligible movies today, when wasn't Frank Morgan doing the Wizard? <_<

But if anyone has seen the opening to The Perfect Gentleman, do you know the typeface? It looks like puzzle pieces joined together.

For that matter, is there somewhere that all the typefaces on all the openings of 1930s movies can be found? They certainly put much thought into it.

Nixon's voice for Natalie Wood was not as jarring as it was when she dubbed Hepburn in MFL, but I agree that Wood's natural voice would have been better.  Does she sing in Inside Daisy Clover or was she dubbed there too?

Natalie Wood's singing in INSIDE DAISY CLOVER was also dubbed.

Great little noir.

Yes, I've seen the film several times and its usually on in the early morning hours. Glad I noticed it was on yesterday. Talk about an underappreciated actress! (Jan Sterling) Always good in everything she did (no matter how small the part). Should've had a much better career..........

Today's recording will be of 'From the Terrace' (1960) for me.

Saw it way back in the early 60's - can't remember if it was any good. But with Newman, Woodward, Ina Balin and George Grizzard, it's worth taking a chance on.

June 02, The Enemy Below (1957)

I have a buddy who names that as his all-time favorite movie. He's watched it so many times - I'm talking at least a hundred times - he now just falls asleep immediately after it begins. It's become some kind of comfort blanket.

Tomorrow, The Squall (1929) is an interesting curio (is that redundant?). Mryna Loy in one of her many roles before she became Nora. She plays a gypsy, she does okay but not spectacular. Also a very young Loretta. The story plods along slowly as some of these very early talkies sometimes do. Interesting music taken from Liszt here and there. It's been awhile and I remember liking it. Worth a try. Alice Terry is pretty good in this, I kind of like her. She did mostly theater.

==