Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,922 posts in this topic

This has got to one of my fav Newman/Woodward collaborations. They really sizzle onscreen.

Love Welles, Remick, Lansbury & even Franciosa give great performances.

Just alot of fun! :D

8:00 pm ET
Color
117 min
TV-PG
drama

A drifter with a past brings a wealthy family's problems to a head.

DirMartin Ritt CastPaul Newman , Joanne Woodward , Tony Franciosa .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Martin Ritt. Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Anthony Franciosa, Orson Welles, Lee Remick, Angela Lansbury.

"Well-blended William Faulkner short stories make a flavorful, brooding drama of domineering Southerner (Welles) and a wandering handyman (Newman), who decides to stick around and marry daughter Woodward. Excellent Alex North score, weak finish to strong film; the Newmans' first film together. Remade for TV with Don Johnson. CinemaScope."

long_hot_summer_ver3.jpg

It was also turned into a weekly series for television - I think around '66. Starred Roy Thinnes as Ben Quick.

Although it lasted only a season, I liked it a lot. Never missed an episode.

Tuesday, June 2

I’ve got another 4 to record:

6:45 a.m. The Wind (1928) with Lillian Gish.  Directed by Victor Seastrom - or Sjorstrom as we was known in Sweden when he acted in Bergman’s Wild Strawberries (1957).  I've seen it a number of times but as AndyM recommends, best to record it for you never know when it will be on again - without commercials at least.

8:30 a.m. The Squall (1929) with Myrna Loy

10:15 a.m.  Rain or Shine (1930) directed by Frank Capra

8 p.m. The Hunters (1958)  Robert Mitchum and Robert Wagner star in a Dick Powell film.

The latter 3 I have yet to see.

post-35686-0-02006900-1433173099_thumb.png

post-35686-0-02006900-1433173099_thumb.png

I'm recording Saratoga tomorrow too. If only out of the curiosity because it was Harlow's last film.  I believe she died during the end of production. 

45 minutes before the end, they began using her stand in and splicing in scenes Harlow had done.

Sad.

• Like 1

45 minutes before the end, they began using her stand in and splicing in scenes Harlow had done.

Sad.

That is sad.  Poor Jean.  I can only imagine the career she may have had had she not died at 26.  I think by the 40s, she would have ditched the skinny high arched eye brows and the peroxide hair and had gone for a more natural look.  I could also see her landing a really sweet dramatic role where she could demonstrate that she was capable of more than just the screechy girl roles she had.

My pick for June 3 is Gilda which I've already discussed so much on my Gilda thread.  I also recommend The Killers.  That was a great film noir.

June 4 features two of my favorite movies: The Affairs of Annabel and A Face in the Crowd.

The Affairs of Annabel features a young Lucille Ball in the early years of her career.  This was her first starring role and an early example of her skill at comedy.  She plays a movie star, Annabel Allison, who has a publicity agent played by Jack Oakie.  Oakie gets Ball involved in all these crazy schemes all in the name of publicity.  At the beginning of the film, she is being released from prison after having been there for a period of time to promote her latest film in which she plays a female inmate.  Oakie ends up getting Ball hired as a maid in a rich household in order to generate publicity for Ball's latest film where she portrays a maid.  This film was very funny.  The sequel, Annabel Takes a Tour was not as good.

A Face in the Crowd which I discussed on the Megalomania thread is a great film.  The cast, Andy Griffith, Patricia Neal, Walter Matthau and Lee Remick are fantastic.  I love this movie.  Griffiths portrays Lonesome Rhodes, a drunk bum (who also sings and plays guitar) who is discovered by Neal.  Neal gets him a gig on the local radio station.  He is instantly popular and this leads to a television show in the local market of Memphis and later leads to a national show in New York City.  Along the way, Griffith's ego and megalomania grows and grows until he is so insufferable that he alienates everyone who helped him along the way. 

Speedracer5 said "I also recommend the Killers.  That was a great film noir"

I also highly recommend The Killers.  The version being shown is the 1946 version, with the young and gorgeous Ava Gardner, and Burt Lancaster making his debut.  Gardner always underrated or laughed off her acting ability, which is a shame, IMO. The 1964 remake offers Ronald Reagan in one of his better performances, but the 1946 film is still best by far..

Wednesday, June 3

6:30 a.m.  The Private Life of Don Juan (1934).  I rather enjoyed this the first time around so it is time to record it.  

Douglas Fairbanks is cool in one of his later performances.  And there is good support from Benita Hume (Dolores, lady of mystery); Edmund Breon (Playwright, as playwrights go); Binnie Barnes (Rosita, Maid pure and simple); Athene Seyler (the Innkeeper); and Owen Nares (Antonio Martinas)

9:30 p.m.  I can see the Gilda (1946) conversations heating up after this one.

4:00 a.m.  The Glass Key (1942) with a grey noir cast that includes Alan Ladd, Brian Donlevy, Veronica Lake, William Bendix and Joseph Calleia

post-35686-0-01294200-1433273458_thumb.png

post-35686-0-01294200-1433273458_thumb.png

Tuesday, June 2

6:45 a.m. The Wind (1928) with Lillian Gish.  Directed by Victor Seastrom - or Sjorstrom as we was known in Sweden when he acted in Bergman’s Wild Strawberries (1957).  I've seen it a number of times but as AndyM recommends, best to record it for you never know when it will be on again - without commercials at least.

When TCM last aired it as one of the Essentials, THE WIND included some introductory comments from Lilian Gish.

Thursday, June 4

7:15 a.m.  Elia Kazan’s A Face In the Crowd (1957) with the glorious Lee Remick, Patricia Neal and Andy Griffith.

6:00 p.m.  Travels With My Aunt (1972)  Someone mentioned this in the Favourite Road Trips thread quite recently.

8:00 p.m. onwards.  Bulldog Drummond films that somehow omitted the original Bulldog Drummond (1929) with Ronald Colman.  Colman was nominated for an Oscar for that one so it is a real pity it isn’t being shown here.

post-35686-0-43082200-1433342221_thumb.png

post-35686-0-43082200-1433342221_thumb.png

• Like 1

Thursday, June 4

7:15 a.m.  Elia Kazan’s A Face In the Crowd (1957) with the glorious Lee Remick, Patricia Neal and Andy Griffith.

6:00 p.m.  Travels With My Aunt (1972)  Someone mentioned this in the Favourite Road Trips thread quite recently.

8:00 p.m. onwards.  Bulldog Drummond films that somehow omitted the original Bulldog Drummond (1929) with Ronald Colman.  Colman was nominated for an Oscar for that one so it is a real pity it isn’t being shown here.

Lee Remick was so incredibly sexy on THE LONG HOT SUMMER, another virtue of that very good film.

Oh, Brother.  I just caught a couple of minutes of Pin-Up Girl and they had some ridiculous roller skating number.  If that was any indication I'm glad I'm missing it!

Oh, Brother.  I just caught a couple of minutes of Pin-Up Girl and they had some ridiculous roller skating number.  If that was any indication I'm glad I'm missing it!

Is anyone actually watching that dreck?

They just finished a number called "Yankee Doodle Hayride"?!  Martha Raye is amusing, but so far film is a disappointment.  Am waiting for Gilda (1946).

Oh, Brother. I just caught a couple of minutes of Pin-Up Girl and they had some ridiculous roller skating number. If that was any indication I'm glad I'm missing it!

I've seen it before, on FMC. I'm a fan of Grable's and Fox musicals in general. But this is really bottom of the barrel stuff, done at the height of Grable's wartime pin-up popularity. I guess the studio thought they could turn out any old c r a p with Betty and they'd make a killing. They were right. Shame on them.

PS.....I just realized that this is Pin-Up Girl month, as I tuned in at the end of this film, getting ready to watch GILDA. So I guess this is why TCM chose to show this weak movie, since it's an obvious opener for the theme.

Gilda was a wonderful melodrama, even with the abrupt ending that seems slapped on.  I notice something new with every viewing (I've seen it seven times).

Ziegfeld Girl (1941) is on now.  Lana Turner and Hedy Lamarr are real knockouts in this one.  Garland is again the comic relief and gets most of the musical numbers. Garland is doing some silly number but she's wearing a costume that shows off those long legs of hers.  MGM knew how to show off their contractees.

Is anyone actually watching that dreck?

I seriously doubt it. I read somewhere that when that it was in the theaters, nobody came. I doubt anyone would deign to discuss it.

• Like 2

Friday, June 5

Fantastic day of films for those who can stay home or those who haven’t recorded them already.

I see there is a quota quickie at 5:33 p.m., Land of the Quintuplets.   A short subject about the Dionne quintuplets.  Our Canadian claim to fame in America for many years.  We breed like rabbits.

The one I’m recording is the 10:15p.m. Woman on the Run (1950) with Ann Sheridan.  Never seen this one.

post-35686-0-69623400-1433438084_thumb.png

post-35686-0-69623400-1433438084_thumb.png

Saturday, June 6

Interesting day.  Just recording the Batman serial at 10:00 personally.

4:15 has The Big Heat (1953)  Gloria Grahame and Lee Marvin are terrific in this.

12:30 a.m. has Soldiers Three a 1951 remake of Gunga Din with Stewart Granger, David Niven and Robert Newton.  I caught it sometime last year.  It was just dreadful and had to be one of Newton’s worst films.

On FXM Retro, tomorrow Saturday, 6/6:

7:40 am est: THREE CAME HOME (1950): Very good film featuring an excellent performance by Claudette Colbert in this tale of a woman in a Japanese war camp in Borneo during WW2. Taut and harrowing, and highly recommended. Big of trivia: Colbert hurt her back while filming this, thus losing the paet of Margo Channing in ALL ABOUT EVE.

Also on Sunday, 6/7 at 3 am est.

1:05 pm est: CRASH DIVE (1943): Technicolored flag waver with Tyrone Power and Dana Andrews as submarine servicemen, competing for pretty teacher Anne Baxter. I believe it won oscars for special effects (or something).

Also on Sunday @ 11:50 am est.

Just watched a couple of minutes of the Bomba picture on this morning, Elephant Stampede.

Gott love how glam the jungle girls were in those days.

• Like 1

Just watched a couple of minutes of the Bomba picture on this morning, Elephant Stampede.

Gott love how glam the jungle girls were in those days.

The BOMBA movies are trashed in the Maltin reviews (and okay by a lot of people), but I think they're fun in a kitschy way.  

• Like 1

Sunday, June 7

Another day of fine films.  

The 2:00 p.m. film features Broderick Crawford’s bathrobe.

Personally I’ve got copies of them all already with the exception of Sanjuro at 4:00 a.m.  I’ve seen it a few times.  Not the best Kurosawa I must say but worth having.